• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Quickplay Suggestions/Improvements

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
People could also help a little more and create arenas without extra spaces... No extra spaces, no lines, no waiting times.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Let me change characters w/o getting out of line, and let me Squad Strike in arena please!!

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
The most annoying thing for me now, is being unable to tweak rules without re creating a new arena, with all the step required every time. And i talk about friend's arena, i think it makes totally sense to block rule changes in arenas for everyone, or else you would find yourself in a 1vs1 lobby where the host suddenly changes rules to free for all with items. But with friends, where i suppose you are in costant contact with them, you should be able to change rules easily. The fun thing is that you can see the arena current rules, but you can't change them! It's so easy! Just a tiny change...

Again, only for friends arena

Robin Lucina

Smash Apprentice
The most annoying thing for me now, is being unable to tweak rules without re creating a new arena, with all the step required every time. And i talk about friend's arena, i think it makes totally sense to block rule changes in arenas for everyone, or else you would find yourself in a 1vs1 lobby where the host suddenly changes rules to free for all with items. But with friends, where i suppose you are in costant contact with them, you should be able to change rules easily. The fun thing is that you can see the arena current rules, but you can't change them! It's so easy! Just a tiny change...

Again, only for friends arena
Can you find arena room now?
I can't find single one. And nobody come to my arena now...

Birdygamer

Smash Cadet
In Smash 4, online mode was eventful, it had stuff like power vs speed where scoring points for your side, does anything like that happen in Smash Ultimate?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I really really hope Nintendo plans to patch Squad Strike into online, even if it’s just in arenas. It’s the best new mode Nintendo has come up with in a really long time and I’d love to be able to play it online. It’s got so much potential just not just for casual but competitive too. This seems like such an obvious mode to be able to play online

Noss92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ness92
Don't forget smashdown and special smash! But yeah, absolutely. Like the online wasn't problematic enough, you can't even play every mode online! Why ARMS, Mario Kart 8 and Splatoon 2 let every mode be playable online but not Smash?

I understand 8 players smash, god, imagine the lag... But quad strike has absolutely no reason to be only local mode.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
As of right now, no. They seem to be focusing events on the spirit board.

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Allow players to select their character in between each match in Quickplay

At current, it is impossible to select a new character against the same opponent after you have played once. The irritation of having to leave a game and rejoin a new game if you want to use a different character should not be understated.
I had another thought on this today (sorry if it was mentioned already), but having even being able to pick 2-3 characters and having them alternate/cycle or randomly be chosen from your picks each game would be great. At least then you can get some practice in with different characters without extending the time in between matches, and not having people pick something specifically geared towards the other persons choice.

Or hell, at this point id even be ok with the choice to be given a completely random character each game without changing rules or opponents :laugh:

Felancius

Smash Cadet
Having played in many arenas thus far, I've noticed many things wrong in them that has become rather frustrating and hopefully patch 3.0.0 can at least fix because of them. Given that arenas are the only real casual option with quickplay having a forced and slowly being fixed ranking system, the issues are pretty glaring. However, not many people seem to note any issues with them, so I feel as if it's just me and I'm wasting my thoughts but here's what I think are issues, and ways to possibly fix them:

I don't see many people talking about this one, but I think it's a gigantic flaw in the system, since it usually leads to one situation for each in most arenas that becomes more obvious the more people join in the arena. In Bottom One Leaves, there's a large tendency for one player to be more skilled and dominant that they get to play far more than others (I've been in that position a couple of times and can agree it's not fair to others). Likewise, Top One Leaves would lead to one player being completely demolished by the rest, leading to a similar situation. This becomes extremely frustrating with 4+ people in the arena since others will have longer waiting times while one person gets to play more often.

How to fix it: New Options - Adding new options such as randomizing the fighters in the arena or kicking both Top and Bottom out after a certain number of wins/losses to give others a quicker turn would make it much more fair and less time consuming wasted on waiting for the battles to come. This could be added into a patch later which would fix this glaring problem that's often overlooked.

Most people prefer tournament rules, but you won't know if that's gonna be the case when you join in the arena, even if it states the usual "3 stock - 7 minutes", as items could be on and you'd never know it. This is a bigger problem in Quickplay with it's ranking system, but in Arenas it also can ruin casual practicing if one joins a random arena.

How to fix it: Allow Item toggling for Join Arena - This would help sift through arenas a lot better, allowing people to look for arenas without items, letting there be less of a hassle in finding Tournament Practice without worrying about GSP at all.

This sorta ties into the Top/Bottom One Leaves only issue, but the ques for arenas are too strict with waiting in them. What I mean by that is that if you want to change your character, preferred stage, or even just the music of the room you're in, it will kick you out of the que and the person behind will take your place. This can be an extremely frustrating issue when you want to change a stage or character and feel as if you picked the wrong one, and can make it very time consuming when you're pushed back to the back of the que with 6 other people.

How to fix it: Take it out to an extent - By "to an extent", I mean still let it be able to kick in some instances, but perhaps it could be reworked so that it can tell you when you're the next in the match if that's what they were concerned with, as that could be possible to do I believe. Leaving being kicked for such when next in line only might also be a good way to solve this issue too.

Quickplay may have a flawed rematch option, but at least it's there to allow Bo3 matches. Arenas don't even have this, and no toggle option for a best of 3, which again, becomes an issue when there's 4+ people in the arena. It's also very easy to screw up to a point of no return in Bo1 like an accidental SD or temporary lag which can ruin a round, and no rematch option makes those situations all the more frustrating.

How to fix it: Add in a Best of 3 option - I genuinely don't think this would be as hard to patch in as some would think, as adding in a Bo3 option for the arena would make it feel more like tournament practice, and screw-ups wouldn't be as hard punished due to high player count like they could in Best of 1 scenarios. This could also let them better learn from their mistakes in the next round if they messed up too much, and if implemented, allow stage and character counterpicking as an option.

These are all just my own thoughts on what can be done to fix and improve arenas, but I do feel like they are desperately needed since they're the only option without the broken GSP ranking system.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Well everything should be added but given Nintendo's stubbornness on making us play their games their way, they likely won't fix any of these issues.

The fact that they forced NSMBUDX players to have a handicap in 4 players is another method of them forcing us to play a game this way

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
QUICKPLAY
-option to wait til you get someone matching ruleset since it tries to do it ASAP Regardless of your preferred ruleset(rather wait 3 minutes and get my ruleset than 30 seconds and a trash one
-ability to continue playing without an automatic rematch attempt or going back to character select(you can’t possibly convince me that this shouldn’t be a thing already)
-online coop with friends(If they’re trying to promote their VC might as well have an actual strategic use for it)
-improve spectate tremendously: including filtering by character, region, skill level,rule set, and possibly player if they’re online -this mode is BARREN (seriously surprised nobody’s mentioned this).
-let me see the opponents name and character before the first battle

ARENAS
-ability to time people out preventing them from coming back when they enter the room(I just want the trolls who clearly aren’t there to actually play the game out of my room without coming back repeatedly, it streamlines the kick-comeback-kick process on both ends.)
-toggles for items on/off, Max number of ppl, rulesets, the host’s smash tag and current connection, as well as if they’ve blocked you or not(so I don’t waste time trying)
-ability to change ruleset/room name without making another room.(there’s logs for a reason).
-ability to give host to someone else

In addition to everything the OP said

1FC0

Smash Lord
When the host of an arena leaves the player that has been in the room the longest ought to be the new host. I think that we can all agree that closing the arena as soon as the host leaves is stupid. This is such a great design flaw that I would almost consider it a straight out bug.

PURGE THEM LIKE THE

Smash Apprentice
In quickplay/elite when an opponent is found, we should get to see their ping, connection quality, whether or not they're wired, and ruleset before we're locked into being in the match. This alone would solve all lag problems and ruleset problems. Then we should also be allowed to change characters without leaving our opponent.

Last edited:

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
Nintendo had an online survey asking everyone how could they improve the online. To everyone who answered the survey, what did you say and do you think Nintendo will take the feedback to improve the online?

SirDoonyall

Smash Rookie
The main issue with online is not connection in the least bit, there are two really big issues if you ask me.

Number one, I want to play MY RULE SET, I play stock ffa. I do not enjoy another game type. I feel that wether you want to play ffa, teams, or 1v1 it should be respected no matter what. As well as stock, time, or hp. Those two options are the largest factors in wether you will enjoy your time playing or not. You should always match based on these two options 100% of the time. All other rules sets should go through the algorithm of relatively close. I would rather wait 5 minutes for a game, then hate every second of playing.

The next big issue with online, being punished for others bad sportsmanship. Example. If I fight two bowsers who decide to team up on me in a ffa and I loose. When they decide to tbag the rest of the let's say 5 minutes I'm naturally going to want to just leave the match so I can continue playing. Unfortunately I'm going to be punished for up to 2 and a half hours if I do, as well as they will not show up in my recent players list so I can report them. Honestly, does anyone actually care If someone leaves a match? That small bit of lag you experience is more like a trophy then a punishment or annoyance.

These two reasons are why I rarely ever play this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom