• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Online Allies - Yay or Nay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
Hi everyone! This may be an antiquated bit of information, but in my experience in Smash over the years, I have noticed you can form allies online during a match. Simply by repeatedly crouching up and down until another player reciprocates, and BAM! You've now made a non-verbal agreement not to attack each other for the duration of the match. In some instances, everyone becomes allied, and the room will hop around until the match runs out into a Sudden Death.

What are our thoughts on this? In some contexts, it can be cute and harmless. However, for those of us eager to breach Elite Smash, it can be frustrated being double, or sometimes, triple teamed. Have you all experienced this, and what is your take?

:ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby::ultkirby:

Last edited:

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
just play 1v1 to get into elite smash instead of trying to cheese your way to it via FFA or team battle on QP.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
How? Even when you set your preferences to 1v1, you still get a handful of FFA and Team Battles! Is there a workaround that I'm not aware of?

That is not to say I don't enjoy the teams every now and then when playing for fun, but I know some people may get frustrated.

Chadmander

Smash Cadet
I PERSONALLY am not a fan of it but I understand people have different ideas of fun , so I just leave those rooms when I get the chance.

I have limited time to play so I'd rather be fighting instead.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
How? Even when you set your preferences to 1v1, you still get a handful of FFA and Team Battles! Is there a workaround that I'm not aware of?

That is not to say I don't enjoy the teams every now and then when playing for fun, but I know some people may get frustrated.
It must be your location or something. About 98% to 99% of the time, I'm fighting 1v1, no items, omega stage. Of course, today was an exception. I ended up playing someone named Mr. Hunter who used Mii Gunner, had items on, and the stage wasn't hazardless.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
It must be your location or something. About 98% to 99% of the time, I'm fighting 1v1, no items, omega stage. Of course, today was an exception. I ended up playing someone named Mr. Hunter who used Mii Gunner, had items on, and the stage wasn't hazardless.
Ah I see. Yes, I'm in NYC so anything is pretty fair game... unfortunately xD

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
I prefer to fight rather than just mindlessly teabagging all match. Although, if I come across a DDDitto, things would be a bit different... The only time I'm willing to make myself an ally is if another player has a BIG advantage in time AND stock (i.e., my ally and I both have one stock left while someone else has 3 stock at 0%).

Edit: just the other day I was put into a 4 player FFA (which I like since it's my preferred ruleset, though I don't mind 1 v 1's from time to time). I was playing as Ike, and there was a Ganondorf and two Samus players (oh god...). At the start of the match the Ganon main and I were duking it out in the middle while the two Samuses both went to a side of a stage and charged their you-know-what. Both the Ganon main and I kept getting hit from behind with those charge shots, and we no longer felt the need to fight each other, and through teabagging, we allied with each other. Then we started going after the Samuses. The rest of the match was like 2 1 v 1s on opposite sides of the stage. My buddy Ganon was able to stomp spike one of the Samuses into the blast zone, getting that Samus player out for the count, while the other Samus f-smashed me and sent me flying the other direction while taking that time to f-smash Ganon as well, then gimping my buddy with a f-air. Luckily though I had my FS meter all charged up, and I managed to land my FS and won the match.

Last edited:

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
These are called taunt parties. Or were in Smash4 and probably even in Brawl. And they were the bane of Smash4's existence and still are. For fun free for all in Smash4 was raided by these people. And when they got bored they decided to raid 4glory. It's all fine when everyone agrees to it and there's not any foul intent going on, but usually it's just three people who agree to bumrush the next person to join and **** off to how elite they are.

I'd join matches in 4 and realize right away that they are taunt parties and then leave without disrupting their game after two minutes are up. It was their game after all and not mine so I'd hate it if someone tried to take over a match I made. However, one of them would always attack me, as their cronies would do the hoppity hop. I'd attack the person clearly wanting to stock me since I am not a doormat and then that'd be their cue to bumrush. Because justified or something.

Sometimes I'd dominate them other times I wouldn't be able to. 3 against 1 can be hard depending on their skills. And when I would be winning they would just hit each other and stock themselves so I wouldn't get the points. I hated this part and would usually report the more heinous of them. I figured when Ultimate came, I wouldn't be seeing these again until at least the later years. I couldn't be more wrong. I've found them too many times already. And it hasn't even been a year yet.

J.I.L

These are called taunt parties. Or were in Smash4 and probably even in Brawl. And they were the bane of Smash4's existence and still are. For fun free for all in Smash4 was raided by these people. And when they got bored they decided to raid 4glory. It's all fine when everyone agrees to it and there's not any foul intent going on, but usually it's just three people who agree to bumrush the next person to join and **** off to how elite they are.

I'd join matches in 4 and realize right away that they are taunt parties and then leave without disrupting their game after two minutes are up. It was their game after all and not mine so I'd hate it if someone tried to take over a match I made. However, one of them would always attack me, as their cronies would do the hoppity hop. I'd attack the person clearly wanting to stock me since I am not a doormat and then that'd be their cue to bumrush. Because justified or something.

Sometimes I'd dominate them other times I wouldn't be able to. 3 against 1 can be hard depending on their skills. And when I would be winning they would just hit each other and stock themselves so I wouldn't get the points. I hated this part and would usually report the more heinous of them. I figured when Ultimate came, I wouldn't be seeing these again until at least the later years. I couldn't be more wrong. I've found them too many times already. And it hasn't even been a year yet.
Oh my gosh, it is so bad on battle arenas playground. You have some immature garbage player owner who has a warlord/gang leader complex who goes and edges people to a fight. Then when you fight back and kick their butt because they are mediocre in smash, the low life normies in the room gang up on you and usually these normies are actually good. Then when you die, they all taunt and teabag. And you have to quit mid game or else that garbage owner will kick you out of the room to add more insult to injury.

Stinking garbage-can minded children. The heck do their parents teach them? Such tribal war lord/ gang leader type complexes. “I’m the owner so I’m going to act edgy and anyone who fights back against my provocation gets ganged up on and booted after game.”

Hence why as owner of a BA playground room, people get so scared to fight back at me on playground mode because they are afraid I’ll boot them (I won’t).This fear is because other losers (owners) on playground rooms act like juveniles delinquents. And the normies who join the owner in ganging up on players are low lives/ low self esteem trash bins who are a joke themselves. I could curb stomp all of those students of mediocrity, easily on 1v1.

As you can tell by my venting, I got ganged up on playground BA not too long ago (yesterday).

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I usually team in FFAs if someone duck taunts and avoids attacking me. I'll even sd if it's just down to only us and they'll sd the next round. My mains have so many battles logged that GSP loss /gain is negligible at this point so I find there's no reason to stress that aspect.

In fact I just teamed with a Kirby for like 10 matches. It's obvious when the other players get triggered by this though and if it gets too serious I'll drop out rather than continuing to team.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
One time during an online tournament finals I got the dragoon with 5 seconds left. I had the option to take the leader (who was playing the same character as me) down to his last stock and force sudden death for a potential win...or I could take out the guy playing a different character who'd spent the entire game attacking me to ensure he had no chance of winning.

I chose the latter, and then I SDed. It was more fun that way.

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Played across multiple switches and such. For one Elite isnt hard to get into. Another bit is that I’ve yet to get into a single ffa match with preferred settings. Starting to believe this “problem” is heavily exagerrated

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
I haven't done quickplay since Hero dropped, but I was still getting matches I didn't ask for. I don't know about now, but it could had changed. I doubt it though. If you're solely doing 1v1 that's why you're not getting everything else. I stick to free for all, but there are so many ways that it can go that it's a crapshoot on what you're going to get.

I also really like team battle, but it was more fun on Smash4. At least there when you had a terrible partner they couldn't steal your stocks. Although, did you mean to post this on the why does online suck thread? We weren't really discussing the match-up settings and more about taunt parties. Taunt parties are why I registered here. That and SmashHell. I wanted to know how common it was and what the fascination about teaming up one players was. It's really just delinquent behavior that should be punished with hour penalties if every other thing is punishable.

Last edited:

Love Tap

Smash Cadet
I used to really enjoy FFA's, but I gave up on them. It's too hard to find a good group of people that play by the same rules. For example, and maybe this is fair since they are "free for alls" but I can't stand it when I'm in an FFA, and someone is ON MY **** and has an utter fixation with me, and the other players **** block me from them - drives me absolutely god damned nutty. Or worse, they pick up on the fact said player has a raging hate boner for me and PRETEND like they're going to let us 1v1 and mind their business, and then sneak up behind and f smash me or whatever. It makes me want to break things and light stuff on fire I swear to God.

That, and the fact that, in FFA's, for some reason, no one will let anyone KILL THE PERSON MINDLESSLY CAMPING AT THE LEDGE. ****ing hero will sit there and camp with down b and win five matches in a row and people really don't be seeing what the hell is going on. I'll be like alright guys, Imma kill this ****** cheesing wins and they're all "excuuuuuuuse me ms puff, no the **** you're not." Everyone just gets bloodlust the moment you have your back turned effectively forcing you to play like an evasive little *****.

That and well, being shamelessly teamed sucks and happens pretty often when you're clearly better than everyone there. I don't know why anyone that's good at the game would want to play FFA's unless it's like, a good arena where they know people.

Oh my gosh, it is so bad on battle arenas playground. You have some immature garbage player owner who has a warlord/gang leader complex who goes and edges people to a fight. Then when you fight back and kick their butt because they are mediocre in smash, the low life normies in the room gang up on you and usually these normies are actually good. Then when you die, they all taunt and teabag. And you have to quit mid game or else that garbage owner will kick you out of the room to add more insult to injury.

Stinking garbage-can minded children. The heck do their parents teach them? Such tribal war lord/ gang leader type complexes. “I’m the owner so I’m going to act edgy and anyone who fights back against my provocation gets ganged up on and booted after game.”

Hence why as owner of a BA playground room, people get so scared to fight back at me on playground mode because they are afraid I’ll boot them (I won’t).This fear is because other losers (owners) on playground rooms act like juveniles delinquents. And the normies who join the owner in ganging up on players are low lives/ low self esteem trash bins who are a joke themselves. I could curb stomp all of those students of mediocrity, easily on 1v1.

As you can tell by my venting, I got ganged up on playground BA not too long ago (yesterday).
THIS POST ESPECIALLY THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OH MY GOD

J.I.L

I used to really enjoy FFA's, but I gave up on them. It's too hard to find a good group of people that play by the same rules. For example, and maybe this is fair since they are "free for alls" but I can't stand it when I'm in an FFA, and someone is ON MY **** and has an utter fixation with me, and the other players **** block me from them - drives me absolutely god damned nutty. Or worse, they pick up on the fact said player has a raging hate boner for me and PRETEND like they're going to let us 1v1 and mind their business, and then sneak up behind and f smash me or whatever. It makes me want to break things and light stuff on fire I swear to God.

That, and the fact that, in FFA's, for some reason, no one will let anyone KILL THE PERSON MINDLESSLY CAMPING AT THE LEDGE. ****ing hero will sit there and camp with down b and win five matches in a row and people really don't be seeing what the hell is going on. I'll be like alright guys, Imma kill this ****** cheesing wins and they're all "excuuuuuuuse me ms puff, no the **** you're not." Everyone just gets bloodlust the moment you have your back turned effectively forcing you to play like an evasive little *****.

That and well, being shamelessly teamed sucks and happens pretty often when you're clearly better than everyone there. I don't know why anyone that's good at the game would want to play FFA's unless it's like, a good arena where they know people.

You’re thing on FFA is 100% accurate since I’m one of those people who exploit it. It’s so easy to win tourneys via FFA because my oppenets are literally mindless brutes.

Especially when I’m falco. I just sit on the edge of the stage and watch. They usually always somehow fight on the other edge of the stage. Then you have semi intelligent brute come up and fight. I simply just lead him back to the fray, where the other brutes take a bite out of him. Then he responds by biting back. Then they continue to kill each other again while I’m back at the corner watching.

I once won a FFA with 9% damage given and 70% taken. LOOL. And it didn’t go to sudden death.

Last edited:

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Just had this happen to me yesterday. I got put into a 4 player FFA with a Palutena, Link, and Falcon player (I was playing D3 at the time). Right at the start of the match the Palu player gunned for me, and stayed fixated on me for like almost THE ENTIRE MATCH!!! The Link and the Falcon player were off doing their own things, but actually decided to come help me out. The three of us decided to gang up on Palu and we made sure to get her out first. That Palu player got REALLY salty and left right after losing her last stock. Then the three of us decided to self-destruct to end the match. I ended up getting 2nd place.

Also FFA tourneys are SO EASY to win. Half the time ppl just run into my smash attacks (when I play Ike), or get their counters baited and whiffed (easily punishable with the jet hammer). I tend to play strategically and it works out in my favor most of the time.

J.I.L

Just had this happen to me yesterday. I got put into a 4 player FFA with a Palutena, Link, and Falcon player (I was playing D3 at the time). Right at the start of the match the Palu player gunned for me, and stayed fixated on me for like almost THE ENTIRE MATCH!!! The Link and the Falcon player were off doing their own things, but actually decided to come help me out. The three of us decided to gang up on Palu and we made sure to get her out first. That Palu player got REALLY salty and left right after losing her last stock. Then the three of us decided to self-destruct to end the match. I ended up getting 2nd place.

Also FFA tourneys are SO EASY to win. Half the time ppl just run into my smash attacks (when I play Ike), or get their counters baited and whiffed (easily punishable with the jet hammer). I tend to play strategically and it works out in my favor most of the time.
Ganging up on people in a TOURNEY? And then self destructing? That’s pathetic. And my sympathy goes to that Palu player. You shouldn’t gang up on people in a competitive match unless you are in a crunch and both of you need to tie it or even win it.

DeDeDIke

Smash Apprentice
Ganging up on people in a TOURNEY? And then self destructing? That’s pathetic. And my sympathy goes to that Palu player. You shouldn’t gang up on people in a competitive match unless you are in a crunch and both of you need to tie it or even win it.
That wasn't in Tourney mode. It was on Quickplay. And that Palu player was clearly better than the three of us.

Misty Venn

Smash Cadet
Played across multiple switches and such. For one Elite isnt hard to get into. Another bit is that I’ve yet to get into a single ffa match with preferred settings. Starting to believe this “problem” is heavily exagerrated
Struggling to see how this comment was at all beneficial to the post...

Everything about this post gave me life... keep on, Ms. Puff. We support you in the struggle xD

Leoinu

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Leoinus
Because the issue with only is its bad netcode. While the UI has its issues as well. Preferred smash rulesets exist and out of the 70+ people in my local scene, no one has had such a horrible issue with get ffa or items matches. Its a problem thats heavily exaggerated by crybabies obsessed with GSP and deters away from the actual issues.

TheDuke54

Smash Journeyman
Dude, you're on the wrong thread though. They were talking about taunt parties and how they are annoying. Not about not getting their selected rulesets.

Coolboy

Smash Journeyman
this thread reminds me of matches i had with a certain Shulk (i still regret not adding him it was such a fun time!) i was playing Zelda then

in all our matches we would teabag each other if he or me died, and we kept doing this even in team matches, we also had a few FFA matches where we did this.
but the last match was the funniest!
so he and me had a FFA with 2 kirby players in fact we avoided the whole fight and let the Kirby players fight each other..basically the one that was left last we ganged up on and once it was only us 2 we kept teabagging until he decided to SD to let me win the match! not sure or he did it cause i had a stock lead or cause he just wanted to give this match to me cause it was a fun 1..i didn't mind if i had lost this 1 tbh cause it was to much fun for me to care

and today i ganged up on G&W as Zelda with a Sans player since the G&W player had been annoying and spammy for 3 matches in a row and we both had it so we teamed up and teabagged each time he died, once he was gone we played normally again after a small celebration with teabagging!

besides i been ganged up on myself so many times by now that i can't feel bad when i am doing it to others...
and i do think it's a interesting way to make friends in smash!

Wigglerman

Smash Ace
In free for all? No allies. I go in on everyone. If there's someone who's particularly good or annoying, I'll focus my efforts on them and slap around the others if they get in the way or try to focus on me. No prisoners! No friendsies! Die like the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom