• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you would change to make Link better?

WhamBamBoozler

Smash Rookie
Would add a way to detonate bombs faster? I always find that when I got to make the big blue boom that the enemy tends to barely get hit by it or get out of the way in time/shield it.

link2702

Smash Champion
Give back his old bombs imo m.

Or at least give us two remote bombs instead of one, where holding down b pulls a bomb out, while tapping b detonates em.

skydogc

Smash Ace
NNID
Skydog
Detonation while holding would be nice. Or shorter animation while detonating or pulling the bomb.

Alternatively, would be nice if the spin attack were a constant hit that sent backwards at the same angle it currently does. As opposed to hit shield, no effect afterwards.

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
I didn't like the remote bombs at first, but they are growing on me. But the detonation frames should be lowered a tad I think. Those few frames can be make or break in situations.

Also I miss the hookshot recovery... (and I can't play Young Link, just doesn't feel the same)

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
I didn't like the remote bombs at first, but they are growing on me. But the detonation frames should be lowered a tad I think. Those few frames can be make or break in situations.

Also I miss the hookshot recovery... (and I can't play Young Link, just doesn't feel the same)
I feel the same. Detonation should be quicker. Just a tiny bit.

I think his jab needs to be faster. Frame 8-9 sucks, even a bit unfair imo. I've found myself having to use boomerang a lot more now that bombs aren't as spammy. It'd be nice to see him not be stopped by grounded returns so he can follow up quicker and more effectively if he hasn't jumped yet.

Last edited:

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
I feel the same. Detonation should be quicker. Just a tiny bit.

I think his jab needs to be faster. Frame 8-9 sucks, even a bit unfair imo. I've found myself having to use boomerang a lot more now that bombs aren't as spammy. It'd be nice to see him not be stopped by grounded returns so he can follow up quicker and more effectively if he hasn't jumped yet.
Yes. I've noticed the weakness in the jabs as well, it would be great if they were slightly faster. I mean it is a jab, so it should be faster and it's not even a constant attack like many other have. haha. I agree with Boomerangs as well. I love they got rid of the Gale, and went back to the normal style that hits on return. I use it a lot more than I used to.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Faster Down-Smash or bigger range on the Spin attack on the ground or maybe having is Up-Tilt reach a bit further back or having is D-air without fast falling being a less longer, I often end up getting my sword stuck even after bouncing of a shield once.

Now that I have brought this game, I love this Link, but SO FAR, it feels like I have almost no move that aren't risky fairly on ground and the lag online mixed with the small time window is messing me up.

Keep in mind that my last Smash game was Project M and I could be wrong and still needing to adapt to this Link and game in general. I never was very good at short hops and being very precises with F-air N-air, B-air but the buffering and how hard short hop are for my now without "ROCKETING" myself too high really mess up how I use arrows, boomerang and Aerial and it is hard for me to adapt.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
Faster Down-Smash or bigger range on the Spin attack on the ground or maybe having is Up-Tilt reach a bit further back or having is D-air without fast falling being a less longer, I often end up getting my sword stuck even after bouncing of a shield once.

Now that I have brought this game, I love this Link, but SO FAR, it feels like I have almost no move that aren't risky fairly on ground and the lag online mixed with the small time window is messing me up.

Keep in mind that my last Smash game was Project M and I could be wrong and still needing to adapt to this Link and game in general. I never was very good at short hops and being very precises with F-air N-air, B-air but the buffering and how hard short hop are for my now without "ROCKETING" myself too high really mess up how I use arrows, boomerang and Aerial and it is hard for me to adapt.

Tbh, for the moment after getting use to how Ultimate works, How I feel right now I would say... The one thing I wish they bring back more than the spike on the spin attack is the Jab Cancel. I mean if I can jab cancel to D-Tilt, U-tilt, F-tilt, D-Air, F-air, N-air it would be interesting if I'm not wrong about this.

I would also allow to put off some pressure against small and fast character more easily and give more opportunity to bring out our bombs more safely,

MrFrigid

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
3259-2884-2790
I want the grapple back, for recovery purposes. Otherwise I love the new link, wish his ground attacks were faster and the up tilt hitbox actually hit the full circle though.

EnigmaticNerd

Smash Rookie
I just want my tether back.....In particular the Zair. Having such an amazing spacing tool I think would let you do a lot more with the remote bombs.

JayPea00101010

Smash Rookie
Faster S-Tilt and jab, multihit up special, lasting arrows or a different arrow type (e.g. shock arrows) if you charge for long enough.

I agree with a faster jab, but I understand why it's slow as a design choice. It's large for a jab and the developers probably wanted his get-off-me move to be grab. If that had to stay for whatever reason, the next thing I would change would be to extend up-tilt's hitbox so it could hit people standing in front of him. It would improve the move's safety by a huge margin.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
One change I'd like for Link is given his F-tilt less startup or endlag. F-tilt is probably the clunkiest move in Link's kit since it comes out slow and is very easy to punish. It has decent kill power, but I don't think its hitbox is really good enough to make it worth using over grab or F-Smash. A little bit less lag so that Link can intercept stuff like shield Grabs with jab would be nice.

Other QoL buff's I'd like is lowering the start-up of Down-tilt or Down-smash back to their smash 4 versions, but both moves are completely functional as they are so it isn't necessary.

Lions’s Sin of Pride

Smash Rookie
Meanwhile I’m here thinking Link needs no changes and I personally think he may very well be the best character in the game.

Heavy and tough to kill
Can kill stupid early
Excellent zoning game with projectiles
UTilt/USmash cover his completely and USmash always connects all 3
Boomerang sets up to a variety or combos and kill confirms
Bomb is always a threat weather it’s in his hands or laying on the field somewhere for pressure.
Sex kick and FAir are good kill options or edge guard options.
He has a more than decent recovery along with the options to use RB to aid in his recovery.

Idk, overall I think Link is a solid character.

Detonation frame is fine just the way it is.
Jab speed is fine too
Took me a bit to get used to a grapple/tether but I’m okay with that now.

Oh at at early percentages Link has a dthrow > Bair > Bair/ftilt/FSmash combo

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970

I hope they bring his Twilight skins and his voice back.

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
I hope they bring his Twilight skins and his voice back.
I really doubt the voice being brought back, but I wish they would add some Classic tunic looks. I miss the full Red Tunic...I know it sounds dumb but I always played better using that outfit. The red one in Ultimate just isn't the same...

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I don't think he needs any changes personally, unless you want him to be one of the best characters in the game. If anything, detonating bombs while the enemy is holding them would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary.

Super_Hylian

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 1058-3799-8975
I don't think he needs any changes personally, unless you want him to be one of the best characters in the game. If anything, detonating bombs while the enemy is holding them would be nice, but I don't think it's necessary.
I definitely don't want that, that would be too much I think. I would like a little less delay on the detonating time though. And I still miss his old jab since it was faster

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
I definitely don't want that, that would be too much I think. I would like a little less delay on the detonating time though. And I still miss his old jab since it was faster
Honestly, his jab shouldn't be slower than Hero's Spin. I agree that the bomb detonating in their hands might be too much since the bomb is already such a strong projectile, but sometimes it feels like he really needs a good jab, and range is pretty much all it has going for it.

Mi4Slayer

Smash Cadet
After many hours. If I can change 1 thing. It would be a tie between a faster Ftilt or a better knockback on the spin attack SOURSPOT. Sourspot has such low knockback that it doesn't matter if you it them. Not only they can't be hit by the spin attack again. But they get a free good punish for getting hit, which is stupid imo.

Ruuku

Smash Lord
I would appreciate 3 things: a quicker jab, quicker bomb pull out + detonation, and a shorter distance on uncharged arrow.

MASTER719

Smash Apprentice
In order of importance

Bomb detonation (only detonation) should override/cancel any actions
Faster bomb pull & detonation (the latter should be like 3 frames tbh)
Faster jab (5 frames)
Faster FTilt
UpB knockback increase
Increased grab range
Autocancel fair1 at appropriate heights, and decrease knockback

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I would probably change his Up-Special to Revali’s Gale, to both better represent BOTW, and also because his current up-special is pretty pitiful for “recovery.”

Mike 223

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1792-4156-5513
Just make the multihit moves more reliable. That goes for every multihit that has trouble landing in the entire game.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
There are lots of things I'd change about Link to better fit with his BOTW portrayal while taying faithful to his core gameplay design, but to list something relatively tame: put some more effort into his alts.
  1. Champion’s Tunic
  2. Hero of the Wild
  3. Old Shirt
  4. Dark Link (Hero black)
  5. Royal Guard uniform
  6. Hero of Twilight (Hero teal)
  7. Nintendo Switch T-shirt
  8. Hero’s Shade

Top Bottom