• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing you want to see removed from gaming

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
As the title explains, what is the one thing that you want gone from video games?

To avoid flame wars, don't mention any companies or franchises. It's more about gameplay mechanics, aesthetics, policies and trends

One thing I want gone is Microtransactions. It pretty much force you to be less skillful in video games and puts in the idea of you can have better stuff by buying it instead of earning it in the main game or having it available from the start

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Hmm...
I'm sure I can think of a more particular trend if I review some recent games, but for now, I'll pick an easy one.

Microtransactions, as well. They are never, ever, ever a good thing.
Back in my day, we unlocked characters, dammit!

Last edited:

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Hyping games to hell before they come out and then doing damage control later for releasing a piss poor game.

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Microtransactions, as well. They are never, ever, ever a good thing.
Back in my day, we unlocked characters, dammit!
Pretty much this. I feel like things that used to be unlockables are now regulated to DLC.

Speaking of which, DLC. Not all DLC, I have no problem paying $20-$40 for an expansion pack that add a significant amount of content and is big enough to basically be a small game in and of itself.

But nickle and dime DLC for things that would have been unlockables ten years ago? Not cool.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Pretty much this. I feel like things that used to be unlockables are now regulated to DLC.

Speaking of which, DLC. Not all DLC, I have no problem paying $20-$40 for an expansion pack that add a significant amount of content and is big enough to basically be a small game in and of itself.

But nickle and dime DLC for things that would have been unlockables ten years ago? Not cool.
Exactly.
Even Nintendo is kinda guilty of this. Smash Bros. DLC, aside from the characters, feels a bit extortionate. Especially because the bundles don't actually reduce the prices, at all. Which is, you know, the point of bundles.
Whereas Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors have great prices for a ton of content.

Hyping games to hell before they come out and then doing damage control later on for releasing a piss poor game.
Bingo. Excellent choice.
This **** needs to stop. It will gradually create tons of consumer mistrust and possibly single-handledly kill the gaming industry, or people will turn a blind eye to it and publishers will be able to continue to manipulate people.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
That "Augment Your Pre-order" thing that Deus Ex Mankind Divinded is doing? Similar to retail exclusive content when you're just choosing the content you don't want in the game? For it to then become seperate DLC to buy or not be accessible at all?

Yeah, no, stop that, please.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
You!

Jk, but I would like games to completely abandon quicktime events already.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Well, someone said Micro transactions right off the bat, lol.

On disc dlc (to be more precise) gets under my skin. Unless you're going to make it free segmented downloads (looking at you, MH4U), it's messed up man.

finalark

SNORLAX
On disc dlc (to be more precise) gets under my skin. Unless you're going to make it free segmented downloads (looking at you, MH4U), it's messed up man.
On disc DLC is like going to McDonalds and ordering a combo only to find that your fries have been lock away in a box that you can only unlock by paying an additional 4.99 for the key.

Also, early access. I don't care if only indie devs (the sacred cow of gaming politics) are doing it. Playtesting is part of the development process. Slapping together a game and telling your consumer that they can pay $30 to see if it works or not is not good business. I don't care if it's indie devs doing it. It doesn't take that much effort to boot up your game and spend a day intentionally trying to break it. And if you have a team of people it takes even less effort.

Besides, could you imagine other mediums had early access? Early access movies. It's all actors sitting around in front of a green screen for two hours with half the outtakes left in but at least you got to see it first, valued customer! Or how about early access books? Spelling errors everywhere, poorly worded sentences, continuity issues, really stupid scenes that don't work but hey, it's worth it because you get to pay to be the editor, dear reader!

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Also, early access. I don't care of only indie devs (the sacred cow of gaming politics) are doing it. Playtesting is part of the development process. Slapping together a game and telling your consumer that they can pay $30 to see if it works or not is not good business. I don't care if it's indie devs doing it. It doesn't take that much effort to boot up your game and spend a day intentionally trying to break it. And if you have a team of people it takes even less effort.
I don't entirely agree, because some Early access titles do it right and release stable versions without trying to BS you before you buy. And its not only about bugs. Balance is huge issue that takes a large number of people to accurately assess.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
- Microtransactions
- Touched up screenshots
- Preorder DLC
- Region locking
- DRM where you have to be online
- Too many ads on a console home screen

There's probably a lot more I'm missing, but these are the ones that come to mind.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Can I go back to not having to worry about being online to play a clearly single player game?

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
Annoying water levels, quicktime events... That's about it.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
It's actually been a while since I've seen one of these in a modern game.

Probably because it's 2015 and we still haven't figured out how to make swimming fun.
Yeah, probably. That's just a bad memory from my past.

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
consoles
Games that think they have a deep story and will sacrifice the quality of gameplay in order to tell that story should be destroyed. I love visual novels, don't get me wrong, but bad games with bad stories that think they're good really get to me.
Microtransactions also suck if they're not cosmetics only. I'd pay for Smash Bros hats if they were in a game that I played (i.e. not smash 4) and were for characters that were actually tournament legal (i.e. not Mii Fighters). Valve does microtransactions right, imo. BUY HATS, LOOK PRETTY.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Valve does microtransactions right, imo. BUY HATS, LOOK PRETTY.
Since you're obviously referring to TF2, that game has an almost pay2win type component as well, having to buy good loadouts and keys to open boxes that aren't worth anything. Nobody seems to be bothered by it for some reason (Fanboyism.)

finalark

SNORLAX
Since you're obviously referring to TF2, that game has an almost pay2win type component as well, having to buy good loadouts and keys to open boxes that aren't worth anything. Nobody seems to be bothered by it for some reason (Fanboyism.)
Gabe Newell died for your sins and to dare even suggest that Vavle is flawed is pure heresy. But you're probably a console scrub so you wouldn't know that. /sarcasm

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Well, to be fair, 90% of the non-stock weapons ARE HORRIBLE UNUSUABLE TRASH. Besides, nobody but YouTubers and 10 year olds actually open those crates. But, there's no actual winning that can be attained from paying. Usually, you'd be better off not paying in TF2 to win-- like I said, most non-stock loadouts are pretty horrible beyond hats.
Also, I was mostly referring to the DOTA economy, since it's healthy, and based only around cosmetics, completely cutting the idea of weapons from the game.
let's take the purchase of items to the next level in mobas. paying for heroes isn't enough. i need to be able to buy individual skills. i want finger of death to have double damage. hecause that;s what mobas need even more, right?

Last edited:

Albie83

Smash Apprentice
I agree with most people here in saying I do not like microtransactions.

I am also not a fan of over abundant previews. Any more they announce all the secrets before the game comes out to try to get more buyers. I like to discover something new. This is especially bad in story based games that when they are released most people know most of the story and their are no surprises. I avoid watching many trailers for games I want because of this.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I agree with most people here in saying I do not like microtransactions.

I am also not a fan of over abundant previews. Any more they announce all the secrets before the game comes out to try to get more buyers. I like to discover something new. This is especially bad in story based games that when they are released most people know most of the story and their are no surprises. I avoid watching many trailers for games I want because of this.
Being on constant media blackout.
I've gotten used to it.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
also within weapon loadouts it takes like 10 minutes to get the ideal loadout thru scrapbanking
even though full stock is generally the ideal loadout
no offense but you actually sound like you have played tf2 for 10 minutes (who knows, maybe half an hour)
calling it fanboyism because people aren't bothered by the option to spend a few bucks on something you might like is just downright wrong

Last edited:

finalark

SNORLAX
Let's Players and YouTubers.
I'm actually alright with YouTubers and Let's Players since they can give otherwise obscure games some good exposure and quite a few Youtubers can give some really insightful reviews.

Really, it's people go who around mimicking Youtubers' opinions verbatim and act like watching a Let's Play is the same thing as playing a game who are the problem.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
Also
Learning the difference between between a Walkthrough, a Let's Play, a Let's Look, and a Playthrough also helps matters.

lordmud

Smash Rookie
everything sonic the hedgehog ever after sega. . . . all of it. . .

GenNyan

Smash Ace
also within weapon loadouts it takes like 10 minutes to get the ideal loadout thru scrapbanking
even though full stock is generally the ideal loadout
no offense but you actually sound like you have played tf2 for 10 minutes (who knows, maybe half an hour)
calling it fanboyism because people aren't bothered by the option to spend a few bucks on something you might like is just downright wrong
Uh. The reason I said it was fanboyism is because people will spend real money to get virtual items in TF2 and then b**** about mobile games with the same micro transactions. TF2 is possibly worse than many mobile ones because its multiplayer and the items give rich people an advantage (not cosmetic like Dota). So yeah, fanboyism seems appropriate.

I have no idea what full stock or scrap banking is. That seems like random jargon that the casual players (like me) wouldn't understand. The casual player only knows everyone else has really cool stuff because they A.) bought it or B.) spent hundreds of hours making it. The casual TF2 player doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours to be on equal footing with everyone else.

I have played it for 8 hours on PC, but I fail to see how play time would debunk my argument anyway. Most people who talk about microtransactions in mobile don't play those games (Probably because of the micro transactions).

Edit: I played it for at least 30 hours on Xbox, because I perceived it as more enjoyable without microtransactions.

Last edited:

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Uh. The reason I said it was fanboyism is because people will spend real money to get virtual items in TF2 and then b**** about mobile games with the same micro transactions. TF2 is possibly worse than many mobile ones because its multiplayer and the items give rich people an advantage (not cosmetic like Dota). So yeah, fanboyism seems appropriate.

I have no idea what full stock or scrap banking is. That seems like random jargon that the casual players (like me) wouldn't understand. The casual player only knows everyone else has really cool stuff because they A.) bought it or B.) spent hundreds of hours making it. The casual TF2 player doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours to be on equal footing with everyone else.

I have played it for 8 hours on PC, but I fail to see how play time would debunk my argument anyway. Most people who talk about microtransactions in mobile don't play those games (Probably because of the micro transactions).

Edit: I played it for at least 30 hours on Xbox, because I perceived it as more enjoyable without microtransactions.
Stock weapons are the ones you start with that are factually better than almost every "unfair" non-stock weapon that apparently give rich people the advantage.
Simplified, scrap-banking is selling weapons for 1 scrap metal and buying 2 weapons for 1 scrap to infinitely profit.
There are flat-out ZERO microtransactions that give you advantages over players who don't make the microtransactions in TF2.
"The casual TF2 player doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours to be on equal footing with everyone else." Thing is, this is true. It's a very skill-based game. You DO have to spend 100s of hours to get as good as veteran players. And that's not because of microtransactions or unfair advantages. It's because they're good.

Last edited:

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Stock weapons are the ones you start with that are factually better than almost every "unfair" non-stock weapon that apparently give rich people the advantage.
Simplified, scrap-banking is selling weapons for 1 scrap metal and buying 2 weapons for 1 scrap to infinitely profit.
There are flat-out ZERO microtransactions that give you advantages over players who don't make the microtransactions in TF2.
"The casual TF2 player doesn't want to spend hundreds of hours to be on equal footing with everyone else." Thing is, this is true. It's a very skill-based game. You DO have to spend 100s of hours to get as good as veteran players. And that's not because of microtransactions or unfair advantages. It's because they're good.
Why would people buy something that is clearly worse than their current weapon? Stats are listed on each weapon, yes?

And scrap banking doesn't generate money itself, someone else has to lose money in order for you to profit.

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
Why would people buy something that is clearly worse than their current weapon? Stats are listed on each weapon, yes?

And scrap banking doesn't generate money itself, someone else has to lose money in order for you to profit.
Thing is, people DON'T buy the weapons from the Mann Co. Store. 15 dollars for a weapon I can buy for one scrap metal (literally worth one cent in the tf2 economy) is comical.
Stats are listed on each weapon. There are individual ups and downs of every non-stock weapon. No non-stock weapons are immediately better. People find weapons from random drops or buy them from other players for scrap metal (crafted by putting together two weapons).
The game isn't P2W. I'm not defending it as a fanboy, I am defending it as a 359-hour player of the game who enjoys it because there are no clear advantages for spending money on it.
I've spent ~$60 or so on the game, and the only advantage I have over new players is skill.
Not trying to sound like a douche, but if you got good, you wouldn't argue your current point.

Last edited:

oZzIIgk

Smash Journeyman
Thing is, people DON'T buy the weapons from the Mann Co. Store. 15 dollars for a weapon I can buy for one scrap metal (literally worth one cent in the tf2 economy) is comical.
Stats are listed on each weapon. There are individual ups and downs of every non-stock weapon. No non-stock weapons are immediately better. People find weapons from random drops or buy them from other players for scrap metal (crafted by putting together two weapons).
The game isn't P2W. I'm not defending it as a fanboy, I am defending it as a 359-hour player of the game who enjoys it because there are no clear advantages for spending money on it.
I've spent ~$60 or so on the game, and the only advantage I have over new players is skill.
Not trying to sound like a douche, but if you got good, you wouldn't argue your current point.
True. I spent 10 bucks on keys when I was new to see if I could get some funny hats, but I haven't spent another dollar on TF2 since. I usually use the stock weapons or really bad non-stock ones to screw around, and I'm on totally equal footing with everyone else. There's only a couple (like, literally 2) direct upgrades in TF2, but they're negligible. I'm not about to participate in a flame war to convince someone that sidegrades aren't pay to win, so I digress.

Last edited:

swampthingcs

Smash Apprentice
True. I spent 10 bucks on keys when I was new to see if I could get some funny hats, but I haven't spent another dollar on TF2 since. I usually use the stock weapons or really bad non-stock ones to screw around, and I'm on totally equal footing with everyone else. There's only a couple (like, literally 2) direct upgrades in TF2, but they're negligible.
the gun mettle update changed the direct upgrades anyway

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Touche.

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
I'm actually alright with YouTubers and Let's Players since they can give otherwise obscure games some good exposure and quite a few Youtubers can give some really insightful reviews.

Really, it's people go who around mimicking Youtubers' opinions verbatim and act like watching a Let's Play is the same thing as playing a game who are the problem.
I am actually a little disgusted that being a let's player on YouTube is big money. I think PewDiePie and markiplier make way too much and it that the audience they drag in is staggering. In addition, you tubers like angry joe and jontron...it's ridiculous. There's no creativity, bare minimum editing no skill needed and yadda yadda.

I also hate twitch. I want it all purged.

Maybe it's because I'm in the television and film business so I know what real entertainment is that I'm disgusted that people willingly watch this crap.

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I am actually a little disgusted that being a let's player on YouTube is big money. I think PewDiePie and markiplier make way too much and it that the audience they drag in is staggering. In addition, you tubers like angry joe and jontron...it's ridiculous. There's no creativity, bare minimum editing no skill needed and yadda yadda.

Maybe it's because I'm in the television and film business so I know what real entertainment is that I'm disgusted that people willingly watch this crap.
Dude. Letsplayers aren't even in the same category of reviewers like angry joe and jontron. Reviewers are vitally important for educating consumers on which games are good and which aren't. Jontron does parody reviews and people like his sense of humor. Lets players, which I don't personally like, often have an agreeable personality that people stay for. Lumping all these disparate groups of people together is kind of ridiculous.

What's wrong with Twitch?

Who the **** are you to tell people what's "real" entertainment?

The obvious stuff.

Region locks. Intrusive microtransactions. Pre-order bonuses (even though they're garbage like, 99% of the time). Early access games (especially survival games). Bethesda-developed Fallout games.

finalark

SNORLAX

Have you even watched Angry Joe or JonTron? The fact that their videos are even remotely entertaining is a miracle given that they're often written, direction and edited all by a single individual. What's even more impressive is that some Youtubers employ elaborate costumes and effects despite being a solo effort. As someone who has dappled in video editing as a hobby I can confirm that it's no easy task.

As someone who works in television and film I'd figure you'd at least be able to appreciate that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom