• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One thing is for certain, Mewtwo’s visual flair was buffed!

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Wow! Just one look at Abadango’s play session during the invitational and his trailer on the Smash site shows how much more powerful Mewtwo’s moves look! He truly feels like a legendary Pokemon now. Psychic based moves look bigger, brighter, and more fluid! Neutral air looks devasting, and up smash and shadow ball are big standouts.

Also, his attacks leave a psychic like magenta-purple effect on enemies, rather than the dark energy purple energy from Melee and Smash 4. This is all I hoped for and more for Mewtwos return, and I can’t be more pleased.

Check it out for yourself!:
https://youtu.be/BcCpZHVIv9Q

Last edited:

Gimj

Smash Journeyman
Seriously. Although I'm sorta dissapointed he's still a tail-whipper, having him look better whilst doing them helps.

Morbi

Scavenger
He was fine in Melee as far as I was concerned, anything else is just bonus. Quite frankly, I am just glad they are not pulling the same anti-consumer BS that they did the first time and that he is on the base roster. An honor shared by literally everyone, but still, you never know, in an alternate dimension there is a presentation where Sakurai has a "everyone but Mewtwo returns" section.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Mewtwo’s idle animation looks a bit different as well I think. It also seems his speed is about the same as it was after his Smash 4 buffs but that’s just judging from the trailer.

godogod

Smash Ace
Is it unreasonable to want the following(or some):his melee weight, and shadowball hitbox back, and down throw combing again at certain percents again?

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Is it unreasonable to want the following(or some):his melee weight, and shadowball hitbox back, and down throw combing again at certain percents again?
If dtilt and side b got nerfed like I keep hearing, then no

Demon-oni

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Thanatos-Demon
3DS FC
0147-1152-7184
Can you link some the videos here possibly? I only keep finding the one free for all Abadango was in at the tourney and nothing else on Mewtwo.

godogod

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's confusion in the air halts his movement completely apparently, according to dabuz.
""Mewtwo side b in air halts his movement completely (BIG NERF) "
https://twitter.com/DabuzSenpai/status/1006998379375800321
So I'm guessing he doesn't just stays in mid air in the same place when confusion is used as if he wasn't falling and doesn't move him forward.. or what? Not sure how I see that as a big nerf.

Browny

Smash Hater
lmao don't listen to Dabuz.

He was the #1 spouter of misinformation when it came to Mewtwo in smash 4. Literally wrong every single time he got on the mic, even just a few weeks ago he had no clue about Mewtwo and kept getting things wrong about disjoints, damage, hitboxes, literally everything. He has a serious grudge against the character, its really strange. For someone so intelligent, it really isn't hard to do a few seconds worth of research before talking, as per usual someone who actually knows what they are talking about (Abadango) has to go in and fix Dabuz's mistake.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
Mewtwo's confusion in the air halts his movement completely apparently, according to dabuz.
""Mewtwo side b in air halts his movement completely (BIG NERF) "
https://twitter.com/DabuzSenpai/status/1006998379375800321
So I'm guessing he doesn't just stays in mid air in the same place when confusion is used as if he wasn't falling and doesn't move him forward.. or what? Not sure how I see that as a big nerf.
It's a big nerf. It limits his mobility, recovery, and options

lmao don't listen to Dabuz.

He was the #1 spouter of misinformation when it came to Mewtwo in smash 4. Literally wrong every single time he got on the mic, even just a few weeks ago he had no clue about Mewtwo and kept getting things wrong about disjoints, damage, hitboxes, literally everything. He has a serious grudge against the character, its really strange. For someone so intelligent, it really isn't hard to do a few seconds worth of research before talking, as per usual someone who actually knows what they are talking about (Abadango) has to go in and fix Dabuz's mistake.
Interesting. Regardless, you can see the side.b nerf in the video. And abadango has apparently said dtilt is worse

To the guy asking for videos, just type in Mewtwo smash ultimate and watch em

Browny

Smash Hater
It's a big nerf. It limits his mobility, recovery, and options

Interesting. Regardless, you can see the side.b nerf in the video. And abadango has apparently said dtilt is worse

To the guy asking for videos, just type in Mewtwo smash ultimate and watch em
For what its worth, it seems a lot of characters have taken huge nerfs in early game combos.

I mean if Mewtwo lost tipper dtilt combos, that's nothing compared to mario losing his dthrow combos and fox losing his vortex. If that is true then so be it, but people should always keep things in perspective. It might make him worse than his smash 4 version, but overall he could be better than an even larger majority of the cast.

Last edited:

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
For what its worth, it seems a lot of characters have taken huge nerfs in early game combos.

I mean if Mewtwo lost tipper dtilt combos, that's nothing compared to mario losing his dthrow combos and fox losing his vortex. If that is true then so be it, but people should always keep things in perspective. It might make him worse than his smash 4 version, but overall he could be better than an even larger majority of the cast.
All true. I lived in Jersey when smash 4 was released, so I played the Nintendo world demo A LOT-- there was a ton of changes from that demo to release.

Still, for the time being, at the very least they made a conscious effort to limit Mewtwo's movement with the side b psychic nerf

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Apparently in ultimate mewtwo can now act out of confusion before his opponents can
That right there is enough to compensate for the loss of foward momentum using Side B I believe. Do you have a source though?

He didn’t lose them. Abadango said that he did dtilt to fair combos, but itsaxelol keeps quoting only the negative things he has said.

According to Abadango, comboing with downtilt requires a little more precision since the hitboxes near the end of his tail send opponents further away, but the hitbox near the base of his tail still sends them at favorable angles for nair and fair followups.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
That right there is enough to compensate for the loss of foward momentum using Side B I believe. Do you have a source though?

He didn’t lose them. Abadango said that he did dtilt to fair combos, but itsaxelol keeps quoting only the negative things he has said.

According to Abadango, comboing with downtilt requires a little more precision since the hitboxes near the end of his tail send opponents further away, but the hitbox near the base of his tail still sends them at favorable angles for nair and fair followups.
Thats good to know at least. Hopefully these stay the same at release.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog

Smashwiki said so, so take it with a grain of salt
Also directional airdodges are enough to compensate for confusion's momentum loss

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is Mewtwo still as light as he was in Smash 4? How is his survivability compared to Smash 4 and the other playable characters?

Browny

Smash Hater
Is Mewtwo still as light as he was in Smash 4? How is his survivability compared to Smash 4 and the other playable characters?
Everyones recovery took a nerf from smash 4, so this is important to remember. Even if Mewtwo is light, he will almost always get back to the stage where many characters will not be able to make it anymore.

No idea about his actual weight though.

godogod

Smash Ace
Is it just me or Mewtwo's down air a lot faster? Check it out in 0:18 and 1:01 Mew2King vs some random guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5f-v6-v3U

Here's another 1 on 1 video with someone using Mewtwo. I'm really loving the new special effects with his attacks. Everything is more purple pinkish. I think I prefer his wii u smash look vs ultimate.. I really loved that galaxy look.

Last edited:

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Is it just me or Mewtwo's down air a lot faster? Check it out in 0:18 and 1:01 Mew2King vs some random guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il5f-v6-v3U

Here's another 1 on 1 video with someone using Mewtwo. I'm really loving the new special effects with his attacks. Everything is more purple pinkish. I think I prefer his wii u smash look vs ultimate.. I really loved that galaxy look.
Really? The purple pinkish color suits him soooo much better imo. It makes the moves look Psychic based, rather than his being bland dark energy. He is a Psychic type after all, not a ghost/dark type.

godogod

Smash Ace
I mean I like the special effects from his up smash in Wii u more over ultimate. Everything else, ultimate looks nicer I guess

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
I think the mechanics of Smash Ultimate will benefit Mewtwo a lot. In particular...

Being able to D-tilt out of dash is great given how fast Mewtwo is and how large the D-tilt hitbox is.
Directional airdodges will make his invisible air dodges even harder to read.
Charging Shadow Ball in the air.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
I think the mechanics of Smash Ultimate will benefit Mewtwo a lot. In particular...

Being able to D-tilt out of dash is great given how fast Mewtwo is and how large the D-tilt hitbox is.
Directional airdodges will make his invisible air dodges even harder to read.
Charging Shadow Ball in the air.
The first two points are great, but Mewtwo can already charge Shadow Ball in the air in Smash 4.

godogod

Smash Ace
Nobody got a chance to play the demo in Nintendo world in NY? Today was the last day.

godogod

Smash Ace
https://youtu.be/2Ut7k8L8DMs
Mewtwo vs Pikachu starts about 15 minutes in. His ftilt seems a lot faster. Still no footage at all of his up throw.
According to smash wiki, has more range and strikes more horizontally.. and potentially more knockback

Just watched the video. Seems about right. The dude was spamming it too.lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom