• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One step at a time. A match up thread

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
After I post this thread I am going to have to edit the picture in because I'm having a hard time dealing with typing and uploading files with my mouth and it is gonna take me several days to get all the explanations so just give me some time to get everything straight. Just so you guys understand I rate matchups on a shared point system. There is 100 points. Both characters start with 50 then I start going over the advantages and disadvantages of each character and how relevant these are in comparison to the stage list and of course I mean the average stage list. So for example I'm sure a lot of you are wondering how come I have Pikachu as a slight disadvantage whereas I don't have Pichu in the slight disadvantage. And the answer is simple enough we do just fine against both of these characters however the added range of pikachus grab from the Patch or 2 ago added to his ability to juggle us rather spectacularly. The range on the rest of his attacks also poses some problems for us in general compared to the other rat who may be able to combo us a lot better but we can space it out and killing the lil rat 85 with our side special so I'm really not worried about him one compared to the bigger rat. So where is I deem Pitt versus pechu 5050 even I would say that Pikachu has a one to 3 point advantage over us hence why he is in the slight disadvantage section. Basically a slight disadvantage or a slight advantage is anything that is 4 points or less. Anyone who has an advantage of 55 or higher I would consider to be a disadvantage that is notable. Does this mean we can't handle these characters of course not nothing is all that bad for us in this game. I'm bout to get off my computer for a minute but after I'm done eating I will get back on and I will start writing up some comprehensive descriptions as to why I say these matchups are the way I have listed but until then feel free to ask questions below and discuss however I will have to insist that nobody fires anybody up because chances are you are wrong too

pit 4.png

this link right here is to my how to play the character properly thread I'm honestly just putting it here so I can click it and reference it while I am writing all this stuff up so I don't have to go back and forth https://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-play-this-character-properly.484272/

alright so for doing this I am going to start at the top and work my way down through everything giving you the number that I think best represents the matchup ratio as well as a summary as to why I think this is how the matchup is. You are all free to agree or disagree just be civil about it and make sure you actually know what you're talking about I can't save you from getting burned if you are straight up wrong LOL. So I will start writing some character match up summaries and you guys let me know what you think of everything overall:) if you feel any matchup should take priority over others you're free to tell me that and I will do my best to accommodate it's gonna take me awhile to finish this project and for those of you with experience in these matchups your input will be greatly appreciated so long as you know what you're talking about lol. Also I know nobody likes to think their character loses but that's why I'm here to be realistic. I judge all things by frame data that is what we all as fighting gamerz are ruled by

Shulk: 60-40
let's get the big argument character out of the way. This character beats us 60-40 and here is why. First and foremost he outranges us buy a lot more than all the other sword characters. Like other sword characters his aerials can cut through arrows as he approaches but he has more range as well as mobility arts which makes keeping him out harder than all the other sword characters because of the range In addition to his extreme mobility capabilities. And just as hard as it is to keep him out it is hard for us to get in because of said range and mobility being so extreme. With the other sword characters sure they outrange us but not to the same degree he does with makes our which makes our faster up close frame data much more relevant and even though they have good mobility since it is not extreme we have a lot more control with our araoz . Because we are perfect combo weight he can combo us rather well and when they are optimal they can switch between speed and Buster and get true combos that are hard for us to get around. If they save their jump art for when they are off stage against us it makes it a lot harder for us to get the GIMP or keep them off even which is our biggest strength in the other sword matchups. since our combos and frame traps can be escaped at random with the shield art it makes it harder to get him into a favorable position and as I mentioned our most favorable position which is having him off stage can be mitigated through the jump art. And then of course he can kill us incredibly early with smash art all he has to do is get us to the ledge which should not be that hard for him to do if he plays correctly

however this is not to say we have nothing in the match Up. If we happen to get him off stage without jump art we have a big advantage against him because his recovery is a a** not to mention araoz off stage and the fact that we can chase him out there. He also has to be careful when using the smash art between at any point above 80% because if we read the attack we can eat it with our side special and kill him rather early with both the grounded and aerial versions. our characters up close frame data is faster than his so we box him better than he boxes us but we have to get past that big old sword before that actually matters. And I should have mentioned this earlier when I was talking about edge guarding but again when he does not have his jump art our orbiters off stage become more viable as well.

Mr. game and watch 55-45

first and foremost the bucket. I'm not sure if it still kills us really early but if it does then that is a problem and even if it doesn't kill if it still does a lot of damage it is a problem. We have an extraordinarily hard time landing against this character and it's not even because of the up aerials it is neutral air that is a problem. His recovery makes edge guarding rather unrewarding not to mention it is really hard to microspace against him because even though we outrange him for the most part some of the ranges are very close and his weird mobility and priority make him win trades when he shouldn't. The other problem is that he can just up special out of everything because it has so much invincibility and is hard to punish even when he lands. And then of course there is the fact that he kills really early if we are not care careful.

Now for the most part we can avoid those kill moves really well and it is hard for him to kill us on landing with the smashes because of orbiters and because most of them are single hit we can also willingly trade side special if we do it right which kills him really early. Not to mention because he is so light we also kill him really early. A lot of our combos as long as we stick to what is true well rack up damage overtime and since we have stuff that is true for a long time even though it's not the most damaging it is convenient. Since we outrange him overall and since we have the aeros he has to approach and we can keep him out pretty well. Also whenever his bucket is full that is basically a a free pass to shoot him with a bunch of arrows and if he wants to reflect them he has to waste the bucket he has however this isn't necessarily a good position because he has a full bucket LOL. Overall as long as we play really really on point we don't lose the match up by that much but the matchup is incredibly tedious and because of his recovery and the bucket it is an annoying time for us all around

Bayonetta 53-47

alright the biggest problems with this match up is the fact that she has weird range with her magical hitboxes which make it hard for us to take advantage of our range she kambos the hell out of us too. Witch time is also kind of a pain in the a**. But I would say the thing that sucks the most in this matchup is that some of those magic hit boxes just eat right through the arroz so it is hard to take advantage of them like normal. However even though she can recover from anywhere we can edge guard the s*** out of her also we can combo her pretty good as well but without anywhere near the damage output. Plus she has a very hard time killing us as long as we are on point we should be getting the kills before her percent wise but it will not be easy. She edge guards us pretty well but I think we edge guard her hard too. Again this match up is more annoying than anything but I feel sense both characters can have a hard time killing each other her damage output puts it slightly in her favor more than anything else but her hitboxes are the biggest issue after that

greninja 52-48

even though we outrange him and we can edge guard him very well he is really fast and has good range so he can punish us pretty well. our arroz do not really matter on stage and off stage while they are definitely effective he has pretty good mobility and recovery. Mainly his ability to punish and combo us with his incredible speed and the range of his dash attack on top of his superb juggling game is what swayz the match up slightly in his favor. However that is really the only advantage he has we handle all of his stuff pretty well though and shuriken is a non issue for our character. Here's a pretty convenient size and weight to combo and unless we get clipped by his up smash our kill moves are more reliable than his other kill moves

lucario 52-48

this match up would be perfectly even if he didn't have aura. But because of his aura he can kill us rather early if we do not get kills on him quickly and he gets more range. Because of his aura even when we are edge guarding him which we excel at we must be careful. However we out camp him a lot our regular range is comparative and we have faster frame data.

Pikachu 51-49

landing against him is annoying his grab range is annoying and his speed and frame data are annoying. Also some of the range on his moves is annoying. But for the most part it's not bad we outrange him our long lasting moves are good for edge guarding him sense quick attack is basically just a giant hit me sign and he dies really early

wario 50-50

we out range and we out Camp him and we combo him really well. We also edge guard him pretty well compared to the rest of the cast. On the flip side he can combo us really well and his air mobility is frustrating. However what really makes it even is that he can get the early kill with the wafd which he will get regularly because it is a slow paced match up . And because he is heavy we must be patient for the kill. However since he does have a very hard time approaching us it is pretty even

inkling 50-50

this character is basically pit but not at all. What I mean by that is they are both characters with a lot of options and a hard time killing and therefore play a lot of neutral. Inkling does more damage thanks to his ink as well as faster frame data whereas we have more range and better keep away. Both characters edge guard and juggle each other relatively well and both characters have exceptional recoveries.

Mewtwo 50-50

I'm not gonna lie to you guys I haven't even seen this match up and I have no idea if this is true but I am pretty good at evaluating character strengths and weaknesses and since his tail is a sword now he can outrange us and he has good killpower and good recovery. We can use our dish joints to our advantage have reflectors and he dies really early 2 our side special. But that's really all I know about the matchup

pichu 50-50

it is basically the Pikachu match up except he has less range an even more exploitable recovery but a better combo game. He also dies a lot quicker than Pikachu pretty sure side special kills him late 70s early 80s

toon link 50-50.

It is hard for us to get in and approach through all of the projectiles not to mention he has ibomb. He has good disjoin on his sword 2. However our range on our disjoint is slightly bigger our frame data is faster for the most part and we have reflectors. He has a hard time avoiding our araoz and unlike the other links he is floaty yet still decently heavy so he can recover better than the other links however we still edge guard him hard. However the reverse is true he can edge guard us really well. But overall we edge guard him harder than he had edge guards us but he has more convenient kill setups Oh yeah and we have to pay attention with his zair but dash attack is pretty good for killing him once it gets to those percentages

young link 50-50

basically everything above about toon link still holds true with the exception that he has good frame data up close with neutral air so micro spacing is hella real but he is considerably easier to edge guard. It is also gonna be fought closer to the ground then against toon link who is in the air a lot

Sonic 50-50

fighting against this character is ugly and tedious on both sides. We have disjointed hitboxes and araoz so as long as our spacing is on point we can keep him at Bay and force an approach but he is going to be playing a vicious game of hit and run and he is fast. They both have a hard time getting the kill and they both have good recoveries

Yoshi 50-50

Once Upon a time a dragon with super armor on his double jump a good projectile and fast boxing frame data was not allowed to jump out of his shield and he lost to just about everybody. Now he can jump out of his shield and he f**** up a lot of character. This matchup used to be drastically in our favor back in the day and now it's just more tedious than ever. Basically we can force the approach but we do have to respect the eggs he has good air mobility and strong move with fast frame data however we have the the disjointed hit boxes and we can edge guard the hell out of him because even though his double jump is amazing he only gets one

palutana 50-50

basically for this match up we outrange her on the ground she wins in the air. Our neutral air has more forward range for throwing out in her face but she gets more reward for landing hers. our grounded moves outrange hers but her back her aerial beats out most of our aerials and her up air juggles us really well. However our reflector is more effective and arrows are better at forcing the approach than her projectiles so she has to come to us. She has more killpower but both characters kill each other relatively early sense she is light. However even though she has more killpower a lot of those kill moves are telegraphed so landing a side special isn't too hard

Pokémon trainer 50-50

squirtle will probably be the most annoying Pokémon to deal with. We are convenient combo weight and he is pretty fast and has good frame data. However we win the spacing war so we still do just fine against him and if they are not careful to switch to one of the heavier characters we can kill him pretty early. Ivysaur is not too hard to deal with we out camp the living s*** out of ivysaur between our reflector and our better projectile and we have better frame data. Sure she can outrange us a little bit with bakare but not reliably. We also can mess this character up off stage hour long lasting hitboxes are good klipping that recovery by the ledge either a fast phone neutral air or a hovering one right at the lip will mess that character up. As for charizard we out camp him out frame data him and we can get him with our orbiters and araoz. Also because he is so big we can combo the hell out of him for a long time and down throw into bakare the ledge is a problem for him

mii swordsmen 50-50

as long as they build him with the right tools this character is actually really good and hella slept on. Like our character this character has all the tools available to have an astounding neutral as well as a reflector and a good set of projectiles. The disjoint is also pretty good on his sword. however most of the recoveries are exploitable so even if their tool set gives them a slight on stage advantage we still have the off stage advantage. But for the most part it is going to be a very close match up

diddy kong 50-50

his forward aerial combined with his side special and the banana make our usual bait and punish game really hard to exploit because he can punish us for doing the wrong thing really easily. He has good frame data and with all the buffs he has received recently he is a character that we have to respect. I am not sure if his command grab will go through the orbiters but if it will that is a problem if not that is a problem for him. Basically his punish game is stronger on stage than ours but we definitely mess him up off stage more than he does us

snake 51-49

this is my favorite match up. It requires you to achieve a certain level of perfection with your character. If you can do everything right with pit then we have just the everso slightest of advantages. But if you don't no what you're doing but if you don't know what you're doing you will have a very hard time. But don't worry I'm gonna give a pretty detailed explanation of this match up :) first and foremost it requires a lot of precision but we actually can out camp snake in this match up. The arroz allow us to pressure very well both from above and below platforms and if we are good with our grenade game IE throwing or reflecting them back at him or just shielding them when necessary overall we have the stronger camping game. But if we are not paying attention the grenades do more damage than the arrow so if you start getting lazy you are going to get out campt. Another great thing is a lot of snake players like to put the C 4 down and camp around it again Being able 2 angle arrows in the air and above and below platform allows us to avoid going over by the C 4. Also as long as we make sure to space it correctly as in not standing directly on top of the C 4 we can reflect it with the orbiter also fun fact while the orbiters are active you cannot be stuck with A C 4 it just falls off. Now when you guys start to get close to each other it becomes a lot more dangerous. You have range that can compare to each others space downtilt and spaced jab can contend with his utilt and forward tilt range wise and whereas landing a down till set up potential juggle damage against him his tilt just straight up do a lot of damage . Also if we get too close his jab is faster and jab does good damage. Both characters have fast grab but until kill percent we get more reward for a grab than he does So for the on stage game do you have the camping addvantage but up close he is slightly stronger.

where we really shine in this match up is juggling an edge guarding. Yes snake definitely has a strong edge guard system but the orbiters as well as our recovery capabilities and the ability to shoot arrows down at him give pit a much easier time landing against snake and getting back onstage compared to other characters. Whereas when we are juggling and edge guarding snake we can keep em in the air a lot longer get a lot of damage out of it and based on where he goes possibly kill him. If he goes low he is setting himself up to get spiked or backward aerial to death. If he goes high between araoz dash attack up Ariel and up smash as well as grab we cover his landings very well. And as long as we are smart with it our side special can be very useful in this match up especially since it will kill at 135 grounded . Another beautiful thing about this match up is we really get to kambo the crap out of him and when it gets to the point where he can pull grenades because the combos aren't true it usually puts him above us which is a great position for us. Another beautiful thing is since our neutral air is so good out of shield whenever we block his dash attack or any of his tilts or when he falls with an unsafe aerial will you pretty much always have a good punish and sense he is so big and heavy you can usually get good strings that take him off stage and put him in his worst position. We are one of the only characters that can do this consistently against snake. Thanks to the size and speed of neutral air even though we technically lose the boxing game frame wise move for move our out of shield capabilities are so strong that it makes up for what we lack and speed and power when we box against him. And if you happen to notice his dash attack went behind you out of shield downar is a good option punish that with which is another benefit of our character

I just edited this end I can't believe I forgot to go over this it's my fault for thinking it was obvious . When were covering against snake if he has you recovering from up high and to the side and you are low or out of jump and he has has a nikhita coming at you try to use your side special against it to recover. No normally you would have jumped now normally would still have jumps so using orbiters is usually the way to go. But if you are in a awkward position off stage with the nikhita missile coming the reason you should try to hit it with your side special is because only one of a few things can happen. And most of them are favorable. Best case scenario you knock it away from yourself and bounce off it and then you can use that awesome momentum from the move to help your recovery. Or perhaps you just straight up eat it and make it to the ledge. There's always the chance that you missed time it and get blown the f*** ** but Hey you were probably gonna die anyways if you didn't try. So remember even though as a reflector side speciales is crap it will keep you safe and give you momentum so who cares about the reflector

So while he definitely has the more threatening boxing game power ability to keep him in the air is second to none and we are able to out camp him as well as chase him off stage very effectively. We edge guard him very effectively and while his edge guarding is strong we have the tools to deal with it. While he can kill earlier percent wise we have a more threatening GIMP game. It's a very close matchup but at its peak we have the everso slightest of advantages

Peach and Daisy 53-47

we literally have everything these characters hate. We have a stronger zonings game if we space properly our disjoints are hard for them to handle and we can chase them off stage. They are definitely arrow bait off stage as well. They are very light so they die really quickly. And as long as your item game is good and you use your reflector properly we don't really have to worry about turnip too much. However we are definitely combo bait and we also get out frame data'd if we get close and don't space properly.

Joker 52-48

this matchup is pretty good. As long as daddy isn't home we actually outrange him. And we can use that 2 out space him and take him off stage where he is weak against us. However it would be foolish to ignore his frame data he is a fast character and even though we outrange him it is not by a lot. He can also edge guard us strongly. We have a better zonings game overall compared to him but his is still effective. However the best thing about this matchup is our character has no problem stalling out daddy. We can set ourselves up to where we can only be hit by his weaker move and stall him constantly knocking him back and making sure not to get hit by kill moves until it is gone. When daddy goes back out for cigarettes that is our chance. As long as we make sure to space ourselves properly he will have a hard time killing and once daddy is gone at high percents we have better kill options thanks dash attack side special and forward throw

link 53-47

the matchup is very similar to the other 2 links but he has more range on his attacks at the cost of him Being the easiest out of all 3 to GIMP

Wolf 52-48 Fox 53-47 Falco 54-46

certain matchups are played by us exactly the same so even though those characters may have different strengths which I will slightly go over as long as you know what each of those characters wants to do and you take that into account you will play these matchups basically the same way. The space animals are a good example of this which is why I wanted to go over them first like this as a group. I will do this for a few character set since there are so many similar characters in this game

so I will start off by listing their individual strengths that you have to lookout for. Wolf has good horizontal aerial movement and while he does not have as much of a combo game as the other 2 space animal when it comes to individual move he hits the hardest out of all of them including his projectile. He also has the worst recoveries out of all 3. Fox is a perfect balance of ground speed air speed kambo potential and power but he has the worst project I'll projectile. Out of all 3 he has the best recovery. Falco has the most vertical air speed the most reliable combo system and while he has slightly less killpower then the other 2 his recovery is decent at second best among them. He also has the best projectile among the 3

for all of these matchups micro spacing is very important. our physical range is longer than the space animal and because of their fall speed and weight we can combo them very well even off of down till which is amazing . sense we have a horizontal combo system that usually takes people off stage hitting them is very rewarding because we dominate these characters at the ledge . Sense both of us have reflectors the projectile game is going to be very advanced. However we have the advantage as we can curve our arrow just before they hit or maybe they were already being curved towards them either way when they use their reflector we should not be getting hit by our own projectile whereas when we reflect back at them they will get hit. However off stage is a whole another story our araoz are their worst nightmare off stage sense they have poor recovery clipping them with araoz off stage is one of the best ways to set up or get GIMPs. Combined with our other amazing off stage capabilities we severely out edge guard these characters. The fact that our moves are long lasting multi hit and that we have a spike and a super armored side special means we get to have our way with these characters off stage

Rob 53-47

he hits hard has good range good projectiles and a good recovery. He has strong moves that have a good better start up but are safe relatively speaking. He is a big body character so he is pretty heavy. All of this is fine for us we have good fast disjointed hitboxes that are multi hit and long last game which means we out frame data him speed wise and because he is big it is easy to abuse his shield. We have a reflector 2 technically and our projectile is been against him. However what's funny is because these 2 are so good off stage normally this match is actually about keeping centerstage control. We can both harass each others recoveries harder than other characters because we can go out far however we are both susceptible to getting het out of our recoveries. as long as you play smarter then they do you should be fine

Olimar 54-46

dash attack is your best friend in this match up send him in the air where he doesn't want to be will be out his grab If spaced properly and has good priority. Since your goal is to keep all of our in the air it is perfect. Neutral air downtilt and jab are going to be essential as well. These 4 moves will probably account for 60% of your game play. We can exploit his recovery with arrows and aerials. We can reflect his smash attacks. he will be trying to keep you away so when you do get a grab make sure you get the most out of it

Roy Lucina and Martha 52-48

they are all strong in a little bit different ways but for the most part these are the same characters. We have good anti aerial capabilities with neutral air side be up smash. They outrange us but our range is good enough to punish them rather easily. They hit a little bit harder than we do combo wise and overall but we edge guard them extremely hard to the point where it tips the matchup in our favor. They have poor easily exploitable recoveries and the arrow is their worst nightmare off stage

corrin 52-48

I have never seen this match up but from what I can tell it's like fighting lucina with the s*** projectile and with less kill potential but better combos

zero suit samus 54-46

this match up can be volatile. We have the advantage so long as we stay in the sweet zone. If we keep in her face but at a range to where we are out of her jab range our moves especially jabo and down till are very oppressive to her. Araoz from far away are OK as long as she at or past half stage but she is very fast so anything closer than that is risky. If she is trying to hit you with your her side special you should react and Perry or you can dash attack it or you can eat her side special with your side special. Memorizing at startup animation is key the startup animation of her side special is key because you can punish it on reaction. Araoz off stage are still pretty decent and jumping off stage and doing a retreating neutral air back towards the stage is a solid way to punish her aerials that she will no doubt try to use during recovery it is also good for getting her down special and not trading with it. Approaching with short hop retreating fare forward aerial is definitely solid against this character. But the real saving graces of your match up are like I said jab down till and dash attack spaced properly against her you must stay close to her but not directly next to her. If you can maintain this spacing you will win this match up. Another thing that is useful is if she tries to short hop at you and attack you can hit her with out of shield up smash because she is a tall character and the way her jump works it leaves her high up during the short hop. Another thing you need to do in this match up to get kills is learn how to read when she is coming at you with a short hop attack and eat it with a grounded side specialI am pretty sure at the percent at which it kills which is not too high if I remember correctly I think like the one twenties

cloud 53-47

I don't wanna be lazy but there's not really much to say about the match up. He is a strong sword character with a projectile and a self buff that is best to stall out. He has an incredibly weak recovery so the entire point is to take him off stage and gimped him with arros attacks and orbiters. Punishers landing and his get up a temps and keep him off stage and in the air

hero 58-42

arrow is a bad character hero is a bad character. His frame data is so bad that he can't do anything if we get up close to him we outbox him completely. We can shoot him when he tries to shop. He has a very exploitable recovery. And we can reflect all that broken b******* right back at him and orbiters are even good for just blocking his moves that are physical as well because he has so much lag if he breaks it we can punish him. The only reason this matchup isn't worse is because zApples are a major part of his balanced breakfast and it is not a projectile. As well as some of the randomality connecting

Mega Man 57-43

we have the orbiters. Since the majority of his moussette is a projectile this move makes our life so much easier. At high percent's landing with orbiter the only thing he can really do is grab you and his grabs don't kill very well so that's hella nice for a cover on our recovery. Side special is also nice when he is in leave shield. Neutral air is very good against him. However playing against him is very taxing so you have to be on point the whole time and his back air is kind of a problem. It is nice that from fullscreen we have the zoning advantage and that up close we have the boxing advantage the only part of this match it that is kind of tricky is the mid game. We also do a number on his recovery so that's hella nice

riddley 56-44

he has got more range than us because his body is so big and his frame data isn't all that bad actually. However we have higher priority and slightly faster frame data overall. Lot of damage is going to come out of this big boy because the moves he has hit hard however he is so big and heavy that we can combo the living s*** out of him. Like everyone else he dies around 1:35 to side special. And araoz are great for harassing him off stage as well as our orbiters and honestly we just harass him at the ledge really hard. If he tries to do a up special sideways towards the ledge we can put ourselves in between him and the ledge with our orbiters and block it. We can eat his jumps with our araoz. Or we can just go out and hit him it's beautiful. Watch out for his forward smash though that s*** will kill you at like 65 and it has like no end lad only startup

Last edited:

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Some of the MU chart seems p generous to me due to the value of spacing in this game. It's true we have good frame data, but strong spacing helps lessen the frequency of those encounters for the opponent. Some of our main spacing tools, pivot arrow and dtilt, either require set distance and stage control, or are static due to the virtue of being a tilt as opposed to a flowing aerial. That's just my take.

Using aerial side b against smash Shulk will not work lol, at least not reliably. But other than that I love a good grounded side special trade.

So Pikachu's quick attack is to our advantage? Hm, I remember earlier u said we can't really run him down when he's about to do that so it's better to catch him with nair. But that seems to require care to get a beneficial exchange to my experience.

Anyway thanks for this thread, we really needed something like this.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I will definitely right about those to match up I will definitely right about zss and palitana. I will try to be as accurate as I can for those matchups but I have only seen them a few times I am more familiar with ZSS than I am with palitana. also yes Andrew while I did say that we can't really chase him off stage because of that recovery I should have mentioned that it is exploitable by using neutral aerial and other long lasting hit boxes near the edge since it has low priority when it runs into another attack

also I know that we will not reliably land an aerial side special on shulk but it is a good mix up from the ledge for getting back on and he has to be careful about that because I've seen it with my own eyes that an ariel side special will kill him while he is in smash at 100. But yes of course it is unreliable most of that match up is unreliable that's why it's our worst

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
To my experience, mixing in arrows with our offense like we normally do for follow ups can hamper ZSS's get out of jail free card in her down b. It's really useful for fighting that.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
palutana 50-50

basically for this match up we outrange her on the ground she wins in the air. Our neutral air has more forward range for throwing out in her face but she gets more reward for landing hers. our grounded moves outrange hers but her back her aerial beats out most of our aerials and her up air juggles us really well. However our reflector is more effective and arrows are better at forcing the approach than her projectiles so she has to come to us. She has more killpower but both characters kill each other relatively early sense she is light. However even though she has more killpower a lot of those kill moves are telegraphed so landing a side special isn't too hard
Thanks for the summary, but I'm still curious about edgeguarding her. Do we just condition her with arrows and try to 2 frame her with nair?

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I am back from my trip to New Orleans:) it was definitely dope but now that I am back I will work on this thread some more by tonight I will probably have a few more summaries available

Kiligar

Smash Journeyman
ZSS seems worse than the way you made it out to be, she can basically run away forever and use Down Special to escape disadvantage over and over. Her combos are more devastating than ours as is her advantage state. She has a better advantage and disadvantage, while she is essentially the fastest character in the game, with all her movement stats put together. She can pressure shield while staying absolutely safe, which is a problem for Pit since a big draw of his characters is being great at Oos. The laser is annoying since she can just grab Orbitals. So you’re basically stuck in shield trying to block lasers, her safe aerials and Side Special, and Down Special, and her grab is surprisingly annoying since you have to shield so much. That’s at least how I see the MU. The only advantage we have is in weight. Also Pikachu seems worse than you put it as well. Everything he does is safe on shield. Same problem with ZSS I mentioned except many times worse. Tiny hurtbox makes aerials like Nair harder to use. Pikachu edgegaurds Pit infinitely better than Pit can do him since quick attack is essentially a teleport. Same thing as ZSS, better advantage, disadvantage and mobility. He also has MUCH better camping with thunder jolt. In order to have a decent chance in this matchup you have to parry like a robot those thunder jolts, although Nair works sometimes as well. The MU is pretty bad. You don’t think the MU is bad until a Pikachu main who really abuses their tools shows up, one who know what they’re doing. Then you realize just how bad the MU really is.

As for Shulk, the MU isn’t that bad. Remember that each of his Monado’s has a down side. Forward throw and dash attack are comical when he pulls out Smash when he’s at ~100%. Buster makes him take a lot of damage, like what, 15% from a Nair or something like that. Jump is camp art and recover art, but it has a downside too I think which I forgot. Shield turns him into combo food, you just can’t use regular combos. That will take practice to find out optimal combos against shield, but once you do you’ll probably get things like triple Nair into U smash and the like, high damage combos. Shulk outranges us, but it takes a long time for each aerial to come out, which means you just have to hit him before they come out. Since you speak about Shulk being difficult to edgegaurd, in this MU Dark Pit’s Electroshock can actually hit Shulk’s Up Special which doesn’t clip ledge. So the MU isn’t as bad as you described, and definitely isn’t Pit’s worst MU. Most of the other placements were pretty accurate, I think Palutena has a slight advantage due to her having greater mobility in ever sense of the word, better aerials, higher damage combos, and can edgegaurd Pit really easily. She also has a very reliable 2 frame off of her down Tilt, which Wings of Flight is susceptible to. We do have a better ground game by far though, but it’s not enough to match her advantages. I’m glad you mentioned Mr.Game&Watch, that MU is quite bad since arrows are such a non factor, as is edgegaurding.

Pit MUs are overall fairly solid bar 3, Mr.Game&Watch, ZSS, and Pikachu. Inkling and Wario are in their favor as well, but slightly.

Last edited:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I have not gotten to the zero suit match up yet but She definitely isn't safe on shield. Is actually very telegraphed and most people when you know the match up know how to deal with her side special. I will try to get to her somewhere today but it's one of the few matchups where we are the ones who push in aggressively it's not a match at where we can sit back but we have all the tools it takes to exploit her recovery's as well as deal with her on stage. I'll get into it later. As for wario I'm not totally sure if he has the advantage anymore. Back in brawl sure but from what I've seen the matchup actually doesn't seem too bad anymore the biggest problem was multiple air dodges and now that is a non issue. I will try to put down my thought about the other matchups you mentioned as for Pikachu it might be slightly worse but it's still pretty close.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Hey everybody I'm sorry I haven't updated this in awhile I have been busy with medical issues but I will be getting back to work on this soon the first thing I will start off with his zero suit match up when I get there

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Updated ZSS experiences:

Interrupting down b with arrow isnt as easy as I thought, only works from a sizable range away.

Arrows r still useful in stage combat but u especially have to keep center in this MU or u get combo'd into an off stage spike. I learned to not overdo it in backing up for my arrow sometimes.

Rising fair is almost necessary in boxing with her offense.

Try to be prepared for flip kick from ledge, up smash read can occasionally catch it.

When sharking, shooting arrows upwards to cut off their aerial paths and attempt to make them expend their resources is a good idea.

Falling/landing with orbitaurs is a mixup that can occasionally save u and redirect paralyzing shots back at them.

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Those are definitely some good points. I added my match up knowledge as well above in the main section now. Who do you guys think I should work on next?

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
Can I have some Chrom advice please? Hes immensely fast and he always crosses me up and dair is too laggy to rely on to punish. His airspeed and super armor also make him hard to gimp, esp from the angle he usually approaches beneath the ledge from

And dancing blade covers so much

Last edited:

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I will do an actual summary on him later but for now I can tell you that if you think he's going to cross you up down aerial is a good option even though it is lagging like you said however retreating neutral air will solve your problem because if he doesn't cross you up you are getting away from him and resetting spacing if you did cross you up you are moving backwards so you are going to clip him with it. his air speed is good however that doesn't stop you from shooting him and chasing him when he is far off stage. All you have to do is clip him or force him to air Dodge and he is dead. And as for his recovery use your orbiters. If they don't space it right you can just push them away standing on the stage if they do space at right you will have to be down below the stage ready to push him with the wind box. And as for dancing blade that movie is just God like you're just gonna have to deal with it. However as long as you keep him constantly trying land or to get on to the stage as much as possible then you will not have to deal with it as much

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
I have started getting to the next column. What do you guys think of everything so far? Is it helping you guys out at all? I wanna make sure before I keep working on it

Maharba the Mystic

Smash Master
Hey guys sorry I haven't updated this in awhile I've been sick as a dawg recently but now that I'm better I'm gonna start working on this again anybody got a suggestion for who they want me to go through first?

AndrewtheAmericanDude

Smash Cadet
I try to up-tilt or up-smash their jump ins, I'm fairly aggressive off stage and his eggs/super armor punish me for challenging them off or near the edge.
How well do his aerials box with our nair? Would spacing bairs be good air control? I don't have too much mu experience.

Maybe we need a ledge trap thread for these characters because I cant edgeguard marcina

CoyoteFlavoring

Smash Rookie
How well do his aerials box with our nair? Would spacing bairs be good air control? I don't have too much mu experience.

Maybe we need a ledge trap thread for these characters because I cant edgeguard marcina
LOL

Not good enough apparently... as for marcina you can gimp them with or orbitars if they recover low the timing/spacing is tough though.

Top Bottom