• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One of the original 8 characters has to be cut. Who should it be?

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Why cut link? Zelda is one of the most popular gaming series ever that would make no sense in the slightest
For some reason, when 20 people in this thread all say Yoshi should be cut, most people accept it, but when any other character is chosen (such as my choice of Link or Samus), it is questioned.

True, Link is the star of a popular gaming series, but so are Mario, Yoshi, Pikachu and Kirby.

Honestly it would probably have to be Yoshi. I feel like the Original 8 has the most absolute staying power in the series, to the point where I feel like they would cut all of the four secret characters before any of them. Yoshi seems to have been given the short end of the stick in the series, even being mistaken as a Mario character in the layout for Smash 4 even.
Yoshi's series hasn't been treated perfectly in smash games, but that alone isn't a good reason to cut him. I'd argue that Yoshi is more deserving of being in the original 8 than several other characters.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
For some reason, when 20 people in this thread all say Yoshi should be cut, most people accept it, but when any other character is chosen (such as my choice of Link or Samus), it is questioned.

True, Link is the star of a popular gaming series, but so are Mario, Yoshi, Pikachu and Kirby.

Yoshi's series hasn't been treated perfectly in smash games, but that alone isn't a good reason to cut him. I'd argue that Yoshi is more deserving of being in the original 8 than several other characters.
Listen man I know it sucks to hear since you’re a fan of the character, but the only two of the 8 who aren’t mega popular gaming stars on par with the rest of the 8 are fox and Yoshi, tho if it makes you feel better I would cut fox

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Listen man I know it sucks to hear since you’re a fan of the character, but the only two of the 8 who aren’t mega popular gaming stars on par with the rest of the 8 are fox and Yoshi, tho if it makes you feel better I would cut fox
It seems though that some cut Yoshi in their roster due to outright hostility towards Yoshi in general, such as these three quotes:

Yoshi. Little no-recovery-move-having garbage turtle horse
original 8: yoshi, **** that character
[Yoshi is] the most annoying character to fight in sm4sh and is still very annoying in ultimate
Those quotes seem to be about dislike of Yoshi, not about any particular argument. Calling Yoshi "garbage" and an expletive (profanity word) doesn't seem very rational.

With regard to Yoshi's popularity, I'd argue that Yoshi is more worthy of being in the original 8 than Fox, Samus, or Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
That's kind of a dubious claim to say that Yoshi is not a mega gaming star as the rest. Another user earlier put it this way:
I’d bet if you drew Yoshi on a crosswalk in New York or Tokyo, people would be passing by like “hey cute, that’s Yoshi” and being proud for recognizing that character.
I think the problem is Yoshi being measured on a different standard than the other OG characters. Their popularity's are measured against each other's while Yoshi's measured against Mario only.

Veigar

Smash Rookie
Jigglypuff...

like, we already have a Pokemon, we don't need two.

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
Jigglypuff...

like, we already have a Pokemon, we don't need two.
but there were two mario characters and one of them was a straight up clone of the other one >_>

at least puff wasnt a direct clone of pika (even tho she took attributes from kirby)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I should re-analyze my post:
I think either :ultfox::ultyoshi::ultjigglypuff: should be cut.

:ultfox:: Has had a slow string of appearances lately and is losing relevance. Fox doesn't seem necessary anymore.
:ultyoshi:: Has also had a slow string of games and already partly a Mario character. Yoshi does not seem necessary anymore either.
:ultjigglypuff:: Was designed to be a Kirby clone and I personally feel we already have enough gen 1 pokemon.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon

Dude, you need to chill out and stop taking everything against your Smash main as a personal insult.

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
That's kind of a dubious claim to say that Yoshi is not a mega gaming star as the rest. Another user earlier put it this way:

I think the problem is Yoshi being measured on a different standard than the other OG characters. Their popularity's are measured against each other's while Yoshi's measured against Mario only.
You are correct that Yoshi is a very recognizable character, my bad I was wrong in what I said before. However, Yoshi is, to me, popular on the same metric of Luigi and Peach; very popular, yes, but ultimately secondary. When the roster is cut down to only 8 characters, I feel that only the main mascots should be in place, and Yoshi is simply not as much of a mascot as the other 7 characters and what they represent, I fully understand why most would cut him and I would actually have a tough time deciding to cut him or fox now that I think about it

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
You are correct that Yoshi is a very recognizable character, my bad I was wrong in what I said before. However, Yoshi is, to me, popular on the same metric of Luigi and Peach; very popular, yes, but ultimately secondary. When the roster is cut down to only 8 characters, I feel that only the main mascots should be in place, and Yoshi is simply not as much of a mascot as the other 7 characters and what they represent, I fully understand why most would cut him and I would actually have a tough time deciding to cut him or fox now that I think about it
yoshi is more recognizable than fox but at least fox is the protagonist of his own games that aren't just leaching off of another franchise

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
yoshi is more recognizable than fox but at least fox is the protagonist of his own games that aren't just leaching off of another franchise
Yea I agree to an extent with that. It’s just when you look at what all the other of the 8 have impacted in the world of gaming, it really makes yoshi pale in comparison;

Mario- Star of Nintendo, most popular gaming character, his impact needs no explanation
Donkey Kong- Huge cultural icon like Mario, again no explanation really needed.
Link- Tloz revolutionized the adventure genre, plus Zelda is one of the most revered game series ever
Samus- Metroid was HUGE in terms of gaming, revolutionized an entire genre
Kirby- Huge icon, especially in japan, plus he’s Sakurai’s baby so he could never leave
Pikachu- Pokémon is the most grossing media franchise ever and Pikachu is the face of it, couldn’t ever leave

Then we have fox and yoshi...

Fox- Star of a once extremely popular rail shooter that did cause the advent of the super fx chip, but he’s now not nearly as popular
Yoshi- Started as a mere powerup for Mario, then went on to have his own series of platformers that simply aren’t nearly as popular as any of the aforementioned series.

Yoshi is certainly popular and recognizable, nobody is arguing about that, but when compared to what the other members of the 8 have done in the larger scale of gaming as a whole, the answer seems quite obvious to me; Yoshi would get the axe (or maaaybe fox)

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi's franchise isn't "leeching" off of anyone else's franchise -- the franchise has its own unique identity. And Yoshi is the protagonist of his own games, such as Yoshi's Crafted World.

However, Yoshi is, to me, popular on the same metric of Luigi and Peach; very popular, yes, but ultimately secondary. When the roster is cut down to only 8 characters, I feel that only the main mascots should be in place, and Yoshi is simply not as much of a mascot as the other 7 characters and what they represent, I fully understand why most would cut him and I would actually have a tough time deciding to cut him or fox now that I think about it
Yoshi doesn't always have to be compared to Mario. As Zinith Zinith said, Yoshi is being compared to Mario too much. Yoshi and his species can be viewed on their own merits, in their own franchise, as a primary fighter (rather than secondary). What makes Yoshi "less of a mascot" than other characters?

Yoshi is certainly popular and recognizable, nobody is arguing about that, but when compared to what the other members of the 8 have done in the larger scale of gaming as a whole, the answer seems quite obvious to me; Yoshi would get the axe (or maaaybe fox)
I'd argue that Yoshi has done more than some of the other characters (such as Donkey Kong, Samus and Fox) in terms of gaming overall, and therefore should not be cut. Yoshi is just as iconic as the other characters.

Jigglypuff... like, we already have a Pokemon, we don't need two.
Jigglypuff is one of the Original 12, but not one of the Original 8 (since Jigglypuff was an unlockable character in Smash 64).

Last edited:

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
Yoshi's franchise isn't "leaehing" off of anyone else's franchise -- the franchise has its own unique identity. And Yoshi is the protagonist of his own games, such as Yoshi's Crafted World.

As Zinith Zinith said, Yoshi doesn't always have to be compared to Mario. He and his species can be viewed on their own merits, in their own franchise, as a primary fighter (rather than secondary). What makes Yoshi "less of a mascot" than other characters?
yoshi's crafted what?

anyways i was more thinking of yoshi's island since that was the game that made yoshi take off in the first place even though it's literally just super mario world 2

yoshi's games may or may not be leaching off of mario now but it originally did which characters like fox, spamus, dk, basically every other character apart of the original 8 and even the original 12 don't share

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
Yoshi's franchise isn't "leeching" off of anyone else's franchise -- the franchise has its own unique identity. And Yoshi is the protagonist of his own games, such as Yoshi's Crafted World.

Yoshi doesn't always have to be compared to Mario. As Zinith Zinith said, Yoshi is being compared to Mario too much. Yoshi and his species can be viewed on their own merits, in their own franchise, as a primary fighter (rather than secondary). What makes Yoshi "less of a mascot" than other characters?

I'd argue that Yoshi has done enough, possible even more, than some of the other characters (such as Donkey Kong, Samus and Fox) in terms of gaming overall, and therefore should not be cut. Yoshi is just as iconic as the other characters.

As far as I know, Jigglypuff is one of the Original 12, but not one of the Original 8 (since Jigglypuff was an unlockable character in Smash 64).
The simple reason people associate Yoshi with Mario so much is that he started out as a powerup for another member of the original 8, which none of the other 8 can say at all. He started out as a mere gameplay device for another character. Plus, if you say he’s caused more of an impact than other members of the og 8, then explain it. Explain to me what impact he has left on gaming in and if himself that puts him on par with the others, not trying to be hostile I’m just trying to explain to you my reasoning

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I'd argue that Yoshi has done more than some of the other characters (such as Donkey Kong, Samus and Fox) in terms of gaming overall, and therefore should not be cut. Yoshi is just as iconic as the other characters.
I've seen enough. This is ****ing ridiculous drivel right here. HOW can you possible suggest that Yoshi has done more for gaming than Samus? Metroid, Zelda, and other games helped shape the genre of dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and mapping large maps. Have you ever heard the phrase "Metroid-Vania" before? It's where games like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells come from. Samus and Metroid helped define a genre--something Yoshi simply could never do.

You have to stop treating every argument against Yoshi as a personal insult and accept the fact that the world revolves around neither you nor Yoshi. Not everyone shares your opinions on the character. Some people would want to prioritize individual mascots of their own series over side characters, and it's undeniable that Yoshi's original claim to fame was being a powerup in SMW. Others simply see Yoshi as a secondary character that no longer merits being in such a tight roster, and that's a valid opinion too.

It's OK to disagree with people but running a one man crusade and calling out every point against Yoshi and denouncing every post that doesn't contain him is rude. If anything you've been spamming the thread.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
I've seen enough. This is ****ing ridiculous drivel right here. HOW can you possible suggest that Yoshi has done more for gaming than Samus? Metroid, Zelda, and other games helped shape the genre of dungeon crawling, puzzle solving, and mapping large maps. Have you ever heard the phrase "Metroid-Vania" before? It's where games like Hollow Knight and Dead Cells come from. Samus and Metroid helped define a genre--something Yoshi simply could never do.

You have to stop treating every argument against Yoshi as a personal insult and accept the fact that the world revolves around neither you nor Yoshi. Not everyone shares your opinions on the character. Some people would want to prioritize individual mascots of their own series over side characters, and it's undeniable that Yoshi's original claim to fame was being a powerup in SMW. Others simply see Yoshi as a secondary character that no longer merits being in such a tight roster, and that's a valid opinion too.

It's OK to disagree with people but running a one man crusade and calling out every point against Yoshi and denouncing every post that doesn't contain him is rude. If anything you've been spamming the thread.
Using profanity and calling my point-of-view "ridiculous drivel" does not make your point-of-view any more valid.

I'm not "personally insulted" when there are arguments against Yoshi. And I'm not "spamming the thread" -- people keep quoting me and I have been responding to those responses.

Yoshi has developed his own genre that rivals that of Samus or Donkey Kong -- he helped define platforming games, with the introduction of games such as Yoshi's Island in the mid-1990s. Yoshi's relevance should take into account his entire history, not just the first game he appeared in. Plus, in canon, baby Mario was raised by Yoshis, which arguably makes Yoshi just as important as Mario.

I've already explained why Yoshi is not a secondary character / side character -- he is the main character of his own franchise.

The simple reason people associate Yoshi with Mario so much is that he started out as a powerup for another member of the original 8, which none of the other 8 can say at all. He started out as a mere gameplay device for another character. Plus, if you say he’s caused more of an impact than other members of the og 8, then explain it. Explain to me what impact he has left on gaming in and if himself that puts him on par with the others, not trying to be hostile I’m just trying to explain to you my reasoning
As I said, Yoshi's entire history should be taken into consideration, not just his first appearance. In most of the games Yoshi has appeared in, he is his own character. In fact, in Yoshi's Island, the role of Mario and Yoshi is reversed, whereby Yoshi is the main character and baby Mario is the secondary.

Consider also all of the many games (such as the Mario Party series, Mario Kart series, the Super Smash Bros. series, and the games within the Yoshi franchise such as Yoshi's Story) in which Yoshi is his own standalone character (not a power-up / item). Yoshi's impact on gaming is evident by his popularity, recognition, and the numerous games he has appeared in -- both games he has starred in, and games he is a playable character in. Pop-cultural references should also be taken into account. And, as I said earlier, he helped define platforming games and video games in general.

For all of these reasons, people should not choose Yoshi as the one they would exclude from their "Original 8" roster.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
he helped define platforming games, with the introduction of games such as Yoshi's Island in the mid-1990s.
Find me one platformer that took direct inspiration from Yoshi's Island and nothing else.

The platforming genre has been defined by many different franchises, not just Yoshi. Yoshi's island didn't do much to develop platformers compared to others. And again, in recent years, there have been 2 Yoshi platformers (WW and CW) compared to other franchises which have many more. Yoshi, in terms of relevance, is a small fry.

By the time Yoshi's Island came out platformers were already a huge thing. And the series as a whole has a total of 12 major titles, including several non-platformer spinoffs. This cannot hold a candle to series that have contributed much more to platforming like Mario, Kirby, or mega Man.

And you didn't answer the question. Metroid started and defined a new entire genre of gaming. Yoshi was just another series in the bandwagon platformer genre. How can you possibly suggest that Yoshi has done more for gaming than Metroid has?

And one last thing: You still fail to recognize the largest reason for his misinclusion: People want to include main characters from their own franchises. You argue that Yoshi is a major character for his standalone appearances but so are literally thousands of other characters. If you want to argue that reason a literal koopa troopa would be more qualified to be in Smash than Yoshi. There are hundreds of recognizable Nintendo characters. Yoshi is one of them. But the series as a whole branched out from Mario and Yoshi is still recognized as a Mario character by many. If a roster of 8 is going to highlight 8 individual series than it's totally fine if Yoshi isn't one of them. I personally see Yoshi as a secondary or even tertiary character nowadays.

Oh, and going back even further: You still have not explained what you think defines a "core character," and that was one of your major arguments for his inclusion.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Find me one platformer that took direct inspiration from Yoshi's Island and nothing else.

The platforming genre has been defined by many different franchises, not just Yoshi. Yoshi's island didn't do much to develop platformers compared to others. And again, in recent years, there have been 2 Yoshi platformers (WW and CW) compared to other franchises which have many more. Yoshi, in terms of relevance, is a small fry.

By the time Yoshi's Island came out platformers were already a huge thing. And the series as a whole has a total of 12 major titles, including several non-platformer spinoffs. This cannot hold a candle to series that have contributed much more to platforming like Mario, Kirby, or mega Man.

And you didn't answer the question. Metroid started and defined a new entire genre of gaming. Yoshi was just another series in the bandwagon platformer genre. How can you possibly suggest that Yoshi has done more for gaming than Metroid has?

And one last thing: You still fail to recognize the largest reason for his misinclusion: People want to include main characters from their own franchises. You argue that Yoshi is a major character for his standalone appearances but so are literally thousands of other characters. If you want to argue that reason a literal koopa troopa would be more qualified to be in Smash than Yoshi. There are hundreds of recognizable Nintendo characters. Yoshi is one of them. But the series as a whole branched out from Mario and Yoshi is still recognized as a Mario character by many. If a roster of 8 is going to highlight 8 individual series than it's totally fine if Yoshi isn't one of them. I personally see Yoshi as a secondary or even tertiary character nowadays.

Oh, and going back even further: You still have not explained what you think defines a "core character," and that was one of your major arguments for his inclusion.
I don't want to continue this, but considering your flustered tone with Yoshi_smash you trying to diminish Yoshi's Island that I really have to address this. That game was designed as a high-end collectathon 2D platformer that had longer and more committed stages. A stage wasn't just straight line, there were labyrinths, puzzles, setpieces and mechanics that were pushing the SNES hard at the time. There wasn't a game quite like it at the time, and Mario and Kirby would implement these later.

You may get frustrated with arguments, but try not to be as dismissive as this the next time...

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I don't want to continue this, but considering your flustered tone with Yoshi_smash you trying to diminish Yoshi's Island that I really have to address this. That game was designed as a high-end collectathon 2D platformer that had longer and more committed stages. A stage wasn't just straight line, there were labyrinths, puzzles, setpieces and mechanics that were pushing the SNES hard at the time. There wasn't a game quite like it at the time, and Mario and Kirby would implement these later.

You may get frustrated with arguments, but try not to be as dismissive as this the next time...
Didn't Donkey Kong Country, which was released before Yoshi's Island, use collectibles?

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
:ultyoshi:
i think of the original eight, i would say yoshi would undoubtedly be the one i remove. the way i see it, he is simply a character who is the star in a bunch of overrated games that get very boring very quickly, who originally debuted as an item for mario to use in a 1990 super mario game, and who was the most annoying character to fight in sm4sh and is still very annoying in ultimate.

i don't encourage anyone to use that last one as a reason to remove a character, but the first two reasons alone were already enough for me to pick yoshi over the other seven, so i just threw it in there because i wanted to. yolo.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Yoshi in Smash is like Robin in a Justice League game. Nobody is saying he isn't an icon and that he hasn't done his own things, but he gets in more based off his attachment to another hero than on his own merits.

SmasherMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
TelevisionGamer
I would like to say that while Yoshi is the star of his own games, I would argue that those games still borrow a lot from the Mario series. Most of the main characters in the series are Mario characters (Poochy is the one exception to my knowledge), and the main enemy was also borrowed from the Mario series. I don't consider the Yoshi series as big as DK or even Wario at times because both of those series has a unique cast of characters.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Yoshi in Smash is like Robin in a Justice League game. Nobody is saying he isn't an icon and that he hasn't done his own things, but he gets in more based off his attachment to another hero than on his own merits.
Aptly put.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Out of the original 8, I'd probably cut Yoshi. The only other one I would consider is Fox, but I feel Star Fox needs representation. The Yoshi franchise, while certainly its own thing, is still a sort of wayward extension of the Mario franchise. I like the Yoshi games, but Star Fox is such a unique part of Nintendo in concept and gameplay, that I feel it needs that rep.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff and it’s not even a tough decision. And I don’t hate Jigglypuff, but we already have Pikachu who is the face of Pokémon and we have tons more Pokémon to choose from.

Yoshi is a Mario character, but he technically represents his own series. Luigi is one of the Mario Bros. and is a legacy character. Every other character represents their series.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Jigglypuff and it’s not even a tough decision. And I don’t hate Jigglypuff, but we already have Pikachu who is the face of Pokémon and we have tons more Pokémon to choose from.

Yoshi is a Mario character, but he technically represents his own series. Luigi is one of the Mario Bros. and is a legacy character. Every other character represents their series.
Not to be a nuisance, but the thread's about the original 8, which means that the other 4 unlockables aren't included (Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Jigglypuff). So you'd actually be deciding between Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Fox. But if I was going to choose from the full original 12, I'd take out Jigglypuff as well, no doubt.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Not to be a nuisance, but the thread's about the original 8, which means that the other 4 unlockables aren't included (Ness, Captain Falcon, Luigi, and Jigglypuff). So you'd actually be deciding between Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, Samus, Kirby, Yoshi, Pikachu, and Fox. But if I was going to choose from the full original 12, I'd take out Jigglypuff as well, no doubt.
You’re right. My bad. I just originally think of the 12 when original fighters are brought up in Smash.

Out of the 8 then Yoshi.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
With the unlockables, Jiggs easy.

Just the original 8...yeah Yoshi.

Yoshi_smash

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can people stop excluding Yoshi already? There are now at least 25 people in this thread saying Yoshi should be cut. It would be nice if there was a little bit of variety (i.e. choosing a different character to exclude, such as Link, Kirby, Samus or Donkey Kong).

:ultyoshi:

i think of the original eight, i would say yoshi would undoubtedly be the one i remove. the way i see it, he is simply a character who is the star in a bunch of overrated games that get very boring very quickly, who originally debuted as an item for mario to use in a 1990 super mario game, and who was the most annoying character to fight in sm4sh and is still very annoying in ultimate.

i don't encourage anyone to use that last one as a reason to remove a character, but the first two reasons alone were already enough for me to pick yoshi over the other seven, so i just threw it in there because i wanted to. yolo.
  1. Yoshi's games are not overrated.
  2. Yoshi's games are not boring.
  3. Yoshi is not an annoying character.
  4. Nearly all of Yoshi's appearances have featured him as a standalone character or main character, not an "item" -- examples: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Woolly World, Yoshi's Crafted World, every Super Smash Bros. game, etc.
  5. Your reasoning seems to be largely based on hostility toward Yoshi in general.
  6. Why are people liking a post in which is Yoshi is being called annoying?
I would like to say that while Yoshi is the star of his own games, I would argue that those games still borrow a lot from the Mario series. Most of the main characters in the series are Mario characters (Poochy is the one exception to my knowledge), and the main enemy was also borrowed from the Mario series. I don't consider the Yoshi series as big as DK or even Wario at times because both of those series has a unique cast of characters.
Out of the original 8, I'd probably cut Yoshi. The only other one I would consider is Fox, but I feel Star Fox needs representation. The Yoshi franchise, while certainly its own thing, is still a sort of wayward extension of the Mario franchise. I like the Yoshi games, but Star Fox is such a unique part of Nintendo in concept and gameplay, that I feel it needs that rep.
As I already said, for Smash purposes, Yoshi is not a Mario character. It doesn't matter if he was connected to Mario at some point in the past -- what matters now is that he has his own distinct identity. And Yoshi's series has distinct characters just like DK / Wario. What makes Yoshi less unique than Fox? I'd argue that Yoshi is the most unique character in the game. And Yoshi is just as worthy of representation as Fox, Mario, or Pikachu.

Yoshi, easily.
Out of the 8 then Yoshi.
Just the original 8...yeah Yoshi.
People are saying they would exclude Yoshi without explaining their reasons. If the reasons are because they think Yoshi is a Mario character, see above. Even if Yoshi were considered a Mario character (which he is not), that alone is still not a good enough reason to exclude Yoshi.

Luigi is not one of the Original 8, but if he was, would people exclude him because he is a "Mario character"? My feeling is that even if Luigi were one of the Original 8, people would still exclude Yoshi, because of hostility towards him.

Ultimately, people can choose whoever they want (to exclude), but it is getting tiring seeing every person choose Yoshi. Choose someone else. It's just a hypothetical thought experiment anyway.

Last edited:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The reasoning is we already have Mario, and eventually Luigi, thats enough from that series especially with how we are working with 8 characters here.

Yoshi is and will always be a Mario character, that never changed and never will, sorry.

Not that that's a bad thing, I like Yoshi lots.

NuzTheMonkey

Smash Apprentice
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can people stop excluding Yoshi already? There are now 25 people in this thread saying Yoshi should be cut. It would be nice if there was a little bit of variety (i.e. choosing a different character to exclude, such as Link, Kirby, Samus or Donkey Kong).

1. Yoshi's games are not overrated.
  2. Yoshi's games are not boring.
  3. Yoshi is not an annoying character.
  4. Nearly all of Yoshi's appearances have featured him as a standalone character or main character, not an "item" -- examples: Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, Yoshi's Woolly World, Yoshi's Crafted World, every Super Smash Bros. game, etc.

As I already said, for Smash purposes, Yoshi is not a Mario character. It doesn't matter if he was connected to Mario at some point in the past -- what matters now is that he has his own unique identity. And Yoshi's series has unique characters just like DK / Wario. What makes Yoshi less unique than Fox? I'd argue that Yoshi is the most unique character in the game. And Yoshi is just as worthy of representation as Fox, Mario, or Pikachu.

People are saying they would exclude Yoshi without explaining their reasons. If the reasons are because they think Yoshi is a Mario character, see above. Even if Yoshi were considered a Mario character (which he is not), that alone is still not a good enough reason to exclude Yoshi.

Luigi is not one of the Original 8, but if he was, would people exclude him because he is a "Mario character"? My feeling is that even if Luigi were one of the Original 8, people would still exclude Yoshi, because of hostility towards him.

Ultimately, people can choose whoever they want (to exclude), but it is getting tiring seeing every person choose Yoshi.
If it’s getting tiring, venture away from this thread. Nobody is going to stop choosing Yoshi, if they don’t want to. And everything you say about his games and his character are purely subjective. You may not find his games boring, but others may. Please stop repeating the same thing over and over, you’re not changing anyone’s mind.

Weenuk

Smash Cadet
Ultimately, people can choose whoever they want (to exclude), but it is getting tiring seeing every person choose Yoshi. Choose someone else.
you're just mad everyone's saying they'd cut your main in a hypothetical situation that would never happen

if it's really that annoying/tiring to you then just leave the thread, no one is asking you to stay anyways

Sans3546

Smash Cadet
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but can people stop excluding Yoshi already? There are now at least 25 people in this thread saying Yoshi should be cut. It would be nice if there was a little bit of variety (i.e. choosing a different character to exclude, such as Link, Kirby, Samus or Donkey Kong).

Ultimately, people can choose whoever they want (to exclude), but it is getting tiring seeing every person choose Yoshi. Choose someone else.
does nobody see the objective irony in these statements? don't mind me, just inserting a little bit of invisible text for dramatic effect. nobody?

anyways, i looked over a few things before posting this. i don't see any reason why we should be responding to this person. he's not a troll or anything (from what i have seen), but he has began to simply restate his opinions over and over again with what seems to be some hope that others will change theirs. his posts are getting fairly repetitive to a point of outright spam. i think it's best we stop replying.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think I said Samus before, but I've changed my mind to go with Fox as Starfox is the worst performing series of the 8 franchises.

Playing the simple sales numbers game here.

Oddball

Smash Lord
As I already said, for Smash purposes, Yoshi is not a Mario character. It doesn't matter if he was connected to Mario at some point in the past -- what matters now is that he has his own distinct identity.
You can say it as much as you like. That doesn't mean anyone is going to believe it.

You say "some point in the past" like it's some long forgotten relic. Like Yoshi used to be a Mario character but isn't anymore, when you can go to the store right now and get Mario games that show Yoshi right on the cover.

As for Smash purposes, Mario is still mentioned in a bunch of Yoshi's trophies from the previous Smash games. He's not as seperated as you want people to think.

Calamitas

Smash Champion
If this were the original 12, then it'd easily be Jigglypuff. But since it's just the original 8, I'll go along with the majority opinion and say Yoshi. Every other character of the original 8 is the sole representative of their own series. With Yoshi on the other hand, no matter how you look at it, he's really more of a Mario character. I'm almost certain that the Mario games that he appears in outnumber the amount of Yoshi games there are.

Top Bottom