• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One of the original 8 characters has to be cut. Who should it be?

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
See the title for the prompt.

See the title for the prompt.
Another fun game— (should I make a new thread for this?)— Smash Bros. only has 8 characters now. Which 8 should they be?

Here’s my list—

Mario
Ryu
Donkey Kong
Luigi
Pikachu
Samus
Link
Ganondorf

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
Probably Ness for me. I never use him. Even not when I’m just fooling around. I bet hes a good character but i don’t like the second jump and the recovery.

THE SLOTH

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-6683-7510-3712
Of the original 64 cast, I think the no-brainer to cut would be Jigglypuff in this scenario. As iconic Jigglypuff is in in Smash Bros., they don't share the same weight the rest of the 64 cast does in their own series. Jigglypuff was sort of the Piranha Plant of 64 imo, although to be fair their appeal in the Pokemon anime plus how much could be copy-pasted off of Kirby helped squeeze her into the cast.

If we're only going off the original 8 like the thread title says (I think it should include all 12 but whatever), I'd cut Yoshi, who, despite being put into his own series, is technically a Mario series character, and the only repeat series rep in the original 8.

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
If we're only going off the original 8 like the thread title says (I think it should include all 12 but whatever), I'd cut Yoshi, who, despite being put into his own series, is technically a Mario series character, and the only repeat series rep in the original 8.
Yeah, over my dead body...

I'd cut :ultfox:

☆(Nontendo)☆

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dan11016
3DS FC
1392-4151-1243
Switch FC
SW-3333-4807-9503
OP forgot fox and yoshi. Ryu, ness and Luigi aren't original 8. I would cut
Samus, because we have Dark Samus and they're pretty much the same character. If I had to cut a second one, it'd be Kirby: Dudes low tier in like, every game.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi, there are other characters in the Mario series that are far more important then him.

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
Pikachu

I ****ing hate that stupid electric rat and would love a world where this character never ever existed

Last edited:

Room100

Smash Apprentice
I'd also have to go Yoshi since everyone else is basically the faces of their own franchises before anything else.

Of the original 12, I'd cut Luigi just cuz I'm always a fan of less clones.

As for the new 8, I'd say:
Mario
Link
Samus
Kirby
Pikachu
Donkey Kong
Bowser
Zelda

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
There was an interesting Reddit thread where people speculated what the roster would look like if we were just now getting Smash Bros for the first time. I definitely think Fox, Jigglypuff, Captain Falcon, Ness, and maybe even Samus would not make the cut. Some people in that thread were even saying Donkey Kong--I don't really agree there, but I guess it all depends on who is making the game.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I guess I’d cut :ultyoshi:...his tax frauding ways will finally come to an end /s

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Hi.

I would cut Fox.

My follow-up post was a different game— say Smash could only have 8 characters. Which 8 would they be? Mine were Mario, Luigi, Link, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong, Samus, Ryu, Pikachu.

Also, Ness, Captain Falcon, and Jigglypuff aren’t original 8.

There was an interesting Reddit thread where people speculated what the roster would look like if we were just now getting Smash Bros for the first time.
Can you link to that, please?

Last edited:

FartyParty

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7316-5581-8026
What Pikachu did to you to make you hate it like that ?
#1) When I was kid and everyone first got into Pokemon, I liked Charizard and naturally Charmander, but everyone just loved Pikachu. Not because it was powerful or cool but because it was cute and had a cutesy voice that said "Pika Pika!"
#2) I can't stand hearing it say "Pikachu!" and "Pika!" and "Pi" over and over again during a match.
#3) Pikachu has never been anything less than the low end of high tier in any Smash game. Pikachu mains have never known what it's like for their favorite character to be even mediocre, never mind bad.

**** Pikachu.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This is similar to asking to shoot a family member. Each choice is gonna hurt badly. If it was Original 12, I would go for Jigglypuff. But Orignal 8!? Nahhhh bro you can't touch that. This post should be reported.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Jigglypuff.

Easiest question in the world lol.

EDIT: Oh wait, you meant Original 8? Aw damn it....this is hard now.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Original 8 would be:ultfox:given the series is nowhere as popular as it used to be back during the release of the N64.

Original 12 would be either:ultfalcon:or:ultness:given they're dead franchises at this point.

If the N64 Smash were to be released today the roster would probably be like this.

:ultluigi::ultmario::ultdk::ultlink::ultsamus::ultmarth:
:ultisabelle::ultyoshi::ultkirby::ultinkling::ultpikachu::ultmewtwo:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I would say Jigglypuff (who isn’t original eight, by the way) has much more of a reason to be in than Falcon or Ness. Hell, even Fox if we’re just talking about recognizability.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Can you link to that, please?
Riiiiiight here.

Oh, and I guess my answer to this thread's actual question is Fox. Definitely Fox. That would make me sad because I like the Star Fox universe and I'm glad we have three characters from it, but it's fizzled hard since the 64 days. We were lucky to get Wolf in the first place. I guess he could have mayyyyybe squeaked in thanks to Starlink, but even then, I would expect someone like Peach or Bowser to get in first.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:ultyoshi:
I will always regard this character as a Mario character. He has his own series, but I don't care. Nintendo could make a series about Piranha Plant. It doesn't mean we'd need that character, just because it branched off an existing series. Although, I'd be fine if all Mario characters except Piranha Plant were removed. **** it, get rid of the protagonists and antagonists and make an SSB game where you play as cannon fodder characters. Werejaguar has been practicing his upper-cut for some time now.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
:ultyoshi:
I will always regard this character as a Mario character. He has his own series, but I don't care. Nintendo could make a series about Piranha Plant. It doesn't mean we'd need that character, just because it branched off an existing series. Although, I'd be fine if all Mario characters except Piranha Plant were removed. **** it, get rid of the protagonists and antagonists and make an SSB game where you play as cannon fodder characters. Werejaguar has been practicing his upper-cut for some time now.
We absolutely need that character, even if he DIDN'T branch off into his own series. I don't know about you, but hating a character doesn't give me license to place an unfair standard on them. I despise Cloud, yet you never hear me saying he should be removed from Smash for some dumb reason like "he's a PlayStation character" or something...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
We absolutely need that character, even if he DIDN'T branch off into his own series. I don't know about you, but hating a character doesn't give me license to place an unfair standard on them. I despise Cloud, yet you never hear me saying he should be removed from Smash for some dumb reason like "he's a PlayStation character" or something...
You don't give any reason why I should care. I don't see how he contributed to the video game industy. And **** Cloud, too.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
It's all good, don't worry.

All Crystanium Crystanium is saying is that out of the original 8, Yoshi would be the one he'd pick to remove. They are not saying that Yoshi should be cut from Smash in general. That'd be a bit ridiculous. And I get where Crystanium is coming from. Yoshi is sorta kinda like DK in this situation. They have their roots traced backed to Mario. However, not to sound disrespectful, but DK definitely made a bigger impact than Yoshi did thanks to Rare, so I can see why they'd choose Yoshi. Everyone else represents their franchises fine.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
It's all good, don't worry.

All Crystanium Crystanium is saying is that out of the original 8, Yoshi would be the one he'd pick to remove. They are not saying that Yoshi should be cut from Smash in general. That'd be a bit ridiculous. And I get where Crystanium is coming from. Yoshi is sorta kinda like DK in this situation. They have their roots traced backed to Mario. However, not to sound disrespectful, but DK definitely made a bigger impact than Yoshi did thanks to Rare, so I can see why they'd choose Yoshi. Everyone else represents their franchises fine.
But I'd argue that if you take the impact of the series on their own merits, Yoshi's isn't the least of them out of the 8. Also, if Yoshi doesn't represent his own franchise well, then why is it that the primary talking point against his series getting a new rep the exact opposite of that? ("Yoshi reps his own series fine. We don't NEED *vomit* Poochy, Kamek, etc.) I hate double standards placed on my boi

D

Deleted member

Hmm, this is tough. Honestly, I'd have to give the L to :ultfox:, mainly because his series is just a rotting corpse at this point. But neither of them should go.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
But I'd argue that if you take the impact of the series on their own merits, Yoshi's isn't the least of them out of the 8. Also, if Yoshi doesn't represent his own franchise well, then why is it that the primary talking point against his series getting a new rep the exact opposite of that? ("Yoshi reps his own series fine. We don't NEED *vomit* Poochy, Kamek, etc.) I hate double standards placed on my boi
I think the thing is, the Yoshi, DK, and Wario franchises all fall under the Mario universe, right? Since Smash 64 was released in 1999, that means at the time Yoshi has had a couple puzzle GBA games, and the main titles Yoshi's Island, and Yoshi's Story. DK is the only other character in Smash 64 within the Mario universe that has branched off into his own series. Donkey Kong has had:
  • Donkey Kong (he technically kickstarted the Mario Universe with Mario)
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • DKC 2
  • DKC 3
I know Yoshi is super vital to Mario and is the star of his own series, but in this situation DK is just the more important character. Think about how many people know the classic DK arcade game, and how famous the Donkey Country Games are. Those games are huge. That's not to say Yoshi games aren't, because they are, but... it's DK.

Last edited:

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
I think the thing is, the Yoshi, DK, and Wario franchises all fall under the Mario universe, right? Since Smash 64 was released in 1999, that means at the time Yoshi has had a couple puzzle GBA games, and the main titles Yoshi's Island, and Yoshi's Story. DK is the only other character within the Mario universe that has branched off into his own series. Meanwhile, Donkey Kong has had:
  • Donkey Kong (he technically kickstarted the Mario Universe with Mario)
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Donkey Kong 3
  • Donkey Kong Jr. Math
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • DKC 2
  • DKC 3
I know Yoshi is super vital to Mario and is the star of his own series, but in this situation DK is just the more important character. Think about how many people know the classic DK arcade game, and how famous the Donkey Country Games are. Those games are huge. That's not to say Yoshi games aren't, because they are, but... it's DK.
That's not what I was saying. I'm saying take Yoshi's series

ON
IT'S
OWN
MERITS!!!

Top Bottom