• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Hit Smash: Stage Analysis - Smashville

Tutorials to learn how to use characters are very important. Learning the ins and outs of moves, techniques, and more just as much so. But something often overlooked but just as important is knowing what stages to pick and the benefits and disadvantages of stages in competitive play. Youtube channel One Hit Smash has created the first video in a series that aims to analyze legal stages to help those learn more about them. Check out this video on Smashville!

Learn something useful? Be sure to subscribe to One Hit Smash for future content and check out their Battlefield video as well. Don't forget to drop a comment below to share those thoughts and stay tuned on Smashboards for the best in Smash video tutorials!

Comments

Smashville, The only stage no one bawws about.

...well maybe a little in the Brawl days when MKs timed games out on it but still.

Plus KK Slider performs on there too, which is a bonus.

Finally they uploaded. I feel that the last time they uploaded a video was last year... Ups!

D
Over here we just call it Neutralville cause it seems like everyone ends up going there game one

...I guess this is why it's so common to see in tournaments...

still, the fact that it's almost always used at tournament just leaves me burned out on it... it be nice to see more than what amounts to a tiny fraction of stages on the list.

I mean, that's kind of the point of counterpicking stages, right? "choose a stage that can suit your winning strategy," or something like that... neutrals are sort of double edged as they don't really give you much of an advantage, and it's rendered moot if your opponent also benefits.

...I guess this is why it's so common to see in tournaments...

still, the fact that it's almost always used at tournament just leaves me burned out on it... it be nice to see more than what amounts to a tiny fraction of stages on the list.

I mean, that's kind of the point of counterpicking stages, right? "choose a stage that can suit your winning strategy," or something like that... neutrals are sort of double edged as they don't really give you much of an advantage, and it's rendered moot if your opponent also benefits.
That's why they're neutrals, though. They aren't supposed to give anyone a major advantage. That's the whole point.

For these being featured on the front page, it's quite disappointing how little concrete data the videos have. Here are a couple of things that would help people a lot more than vague or just missing info.

- Concrete blast zone numbers and relations to other stages.
- Stage length numbers.
- Platform height numbers and how it affects grounded pressure options case by case.
- Data on walls that can be wall jumped.
- Smashville platform & balloon patterns (also other balloon properties other than "don't forget it lel").
- Battlefield's actual downside shape pictured.

I'd also welcome some more examples on how different playstyles are assumed to work on certain stages, for example, can you realistically aim to/look out for camping and timing out with/vs. certain characters.

Also, coverage on competitive stages that have generally been ignored by the community or in danger to be banned would be cool. That could help maintaining a better understanding on those stages for general public rather than just be continuously be dumped into the "jank" pit.

That's why they're neutrals, though. They aren't supposed to give anyone a major advantage. That's the whole point.
sure, sure, but my intended point is that there's not many stages here that would be considered "counterpicks". everyone just picks neutrals and expects they can gain the advantage first... it just seems a bit ego driven in my mind.

but I'm fairly certain there could potentially be stages that can undermine certain playstyles... like the Duck Hunt stage is for ground bound fighters like Little Mac. it would certainly be amusing if people found counterpick stages for, say, defensive fighters like PAC-MAN, RosaLuma, and Duck Hunt Duo... places that could very easily stifle their projectiles and stuff, you know what I mean?

Smashville aka Starterville, where most of the matches 1st take place. Hence why some call it Starterville.

For these being featured on the front page, it's quite disappointing how little concrete data the videos have. Here are a couple of things that would help people a lot more than vague or just missing info.

- Concrete blast zone numbers and relations to other stages.
- Stage length numbers.
- Platform height numbers and how it affects grounded pressure options case by case.
- Data on walls that can be wall jumped.
- Smashville platform & balloon patterns (also other balloon properties other than "don't forget it lel").
- Battlefield's actual downside shape pictured.

I'd also welcome some more examples on how different playstyles are assumed to work on certain stages, for example, can you realistically aim to/look out for camping and timing out with/vs. certain characters.

Also, coverage on competitive stages that have generally been ignored by the community or in danger to be banned would be cool. That could help maintaining a better understanding on those stages for general public rather than just be continuously be dumped into the "jank" pit.

I have laid out the videos in this simple, easy format, because this is supposed to appeal to both NEW and EXPERIENCED players. If I am adding specific data, numbers, etc. It gets very overwhelming to a new player, and they have no clue what is being talked about. If I am strictly talking about all the specifics and complicated things, people can lose interest. It's the same way if I don't go into some specifics as the experienced players get bored and lose interest. I do appreciate your critique, but I hope you can understand why I strayed from going into specific numbers, data, and percentages. There is need for more specifics, I agree, but there is not a need that I can see for something THIS much in depth.

sure, sure, but my intended point is that there's not many stages here that would be considered "counterpicks". everyone just picks neutrals and expects they can gain the advantage first... it just seems a bit ego driven in my mind.

but I'm fairly certain there could potentially be stages that can undermine certain playstyles... like the Duck Hunt stage is for ground bound fighters like Little Mac. it would certainly be amusing if people found counterpick stages for, say, defensive fighters like PAC-MAN, RosaLuma, and Duck Hunt Duo... places that could very easily stifle their projectiles and stuff, you know what I mean?
Umm... Lylat Cruise much?? 0o Lol.

I have laid out the videos in this simple, easy format, because this is supposed to appeal to both NEW and EXPERIENCED players. If I am adding specific data, numbers, etc. It gets very overwhelming to a new player, and they have no clue what is being talked about. If I am strictly talking about all the specifics and complicated things, people can lose interest. It's the same way if I don't go into some specifics as the experienced players get bored and lose interest. I do appreciate your critique, but I hope you can understand why I strayed from going into specific numbers, data, and percentages. There is need for more specifics, I agree, but there is not a need that I can see for something THIS much in depth.
I fully understand that it's important to consider new players and not to overwhelm them with complex information but I don't see most the things I mentioned being complex or too advanced at all. You delved into some pretty advanced/specific things such as untechable tumbles and jab locks after all so I think there's a place for some more basic data too such as stage blastzone height, width and main stage length. You don't even have to show numbers if you just give clear comparisons to other legal stages (and how it affects different playstyles even). Platform height is kind of in the same boat, you could just tell how it affects ground pressure options in general on each stage (and maybe show a couple of simple usmash missing/hitting examples at the same time).

For stage specific things, Smashille platform making a full lap in 20 seconds is a pretty simple fact but could help players to predict the platform much better. Giving a visual representation of the underside of Battlefield could also prevent many unnecessary deaths if they know where you can wall jump and where the wall turns into a ceiling (I see those a lot).

Maybe it's just me seeing those values differently than you but I truly feel like there's a lot of missed potential in your show. However, I can't decicate this all to just criticizing. Above all, it's wonderful to see somebody giving more insight on stages to the general public, there aren't many doing what you're doing after all. I could say my critique is mainly because I really wish you to succeed since the importance of stages isn't nearly as clear to people as it should be.

So was the Castle Siege ban a thing? Because it's stupid if so, and everyone who decided that should be ashamed. Castle Siege will always be the best legal stage even if it's not legal anymore, certainly better than this boring stage that gives even more advantage to top tiers.

So was the Castle Siege ban a thing? Because it's stupid if so, and everyone who decided that should be ashamed. Castle Siege will always be the best legal stage even if it's not legal anymore, certainly better than this boring stage that gives even more advantage to top tiers.
The reason it's good for top tiers is because it doesn't interfere with the fight, letting already good characters using their superior options.

Not to be a crappy guy, but I don't really think this video series is very good...

-Narrator talks in a bland, monotone voice.
-The content of facts in the videos are ultra-basic. He is really not saying anything of any interest or depth, when compared to high-quality videos like BeefySmashDoods, for example.
-Things are described in a dull way that reminds me of trying to make 500 words for my essay. i.e, this quote from from the video, "A notable example that I have seen from personal experience is". There are far more succinct ways to say that.

It just seems like he's pushing for video time without any real content. Sure you could say it's for "the beginners" but I don't think it even offers enough to beginners for it to be a worthwhile watch.

Not trying to flame or hurt anyone's feelings. I just don't believe this is Smashboards front-page-quality material.

Not to be a crappy guy, but I don't really think this video series is very good...

-Narrator talks in a bland, monotone voice.
-The content of facts in the videos are ultra-basic. He is really not saying anything of any interest or depth, when compared to high-quality videos like BeefySmashDoods, for example.
-Things are described in a dull way that reminds me of trying to make 500 words for my essay. i.e, this quote from from the video, "A notable example that I have seen from personal experience is". There are far more succinct ways to say that.

It just seems like he's pushing for video time without any real content. Sure you could say it's for "the beginners" but I don't think it even offers enough to beginners for it to be a worthwhile watch.

Not trying to flame or hurt anyone's feelings. I just don't believe this is Smashboards front-page-quality material.
But Omni is considered front page material so it's ok.

Top Bottom