• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

One Hit Smash: Stage Analysis - Final Destination

Tutorials to learn how to use characters are very important. Learning the ins and outs of moves, techniques, and more just as much so. But something often overlooked but just as important is knowing what stages to pick and the benefits and disadvantages of stages in competitive play. Youtube channel One Hit Smash has created a new video in a series that aims to analyze legal stages to help those learn more about them. Check out this video on Final Destination!

Learn something useful? Be sure to subscribe to One Hit Smash for future content and check out their videos on Battlefield and Smashville well. Don't forget to drop a comment below to share those thoughts and stay tuned on Smashboards for the best in Smash video tutorials!

Comments

Awesome. It's great to see people contribute to the community like this. Beefy Smash Doods and My Smash Corner are also awesome.

Final Destination may be the simplest stage in design, but I wouldn't say it's the most balanced. The lack of platforms means there is only one path toward an opponent and nowhere to retreat or duck under to assume a defensive position, and no alternate places to recover to or land on.

Overall, it seems to favor characters with fast ground movement, characters who can throw out projectiles at a fast pace, and characters with strong juggling abilities. Inversely, anyone with slow ground speed, a defensive neutral that isn't projectile focused, or has notable trouble landing will have trouble there. Whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages depends on the character in question.

I dunno, it just bugs me when FD is deemed the "most balanced stage" more because it's assumed to be than anything else. The truth is more complicated!

Last edited:
I dunno, it just bugs me when FD is deemed the "most balanced stage" more because it's assumed to be than anything else. The truth is more complicated!
To be fair, it's better than people immediately assuming that Smashville is the most balanced stage, which is what most people generally do. It could be, maybe, but... y'know... Shiek.

No stage is going to be completely balanced, but with the lack of chaingrabbing in this game and the kind of awful stages FD has as competition (I mean, let's be honest, this game has a really unbalanced legal stage list) I could see it being the most neutral stage on the table.

To be fair, it's better than people immediately assuming that Smashville is the most balanced stage, which is what most people generally do. It could be, maybe, but... y'know... Shiek.

No stage is going to be completely balanced, but with the lack of chaingrabbing in this game and the kind of awful stages FD has as competition (I mean, let's be honest, this game has a really unbalanced legal stage list) I could see it being the most neutral stage on the table.
I'd argue that whatever advantages a character gains from Smashville, most of them are amplified on FD. Between both versions, I'd call Yoshi's Island (Brawl) the most balanced...and it's a shame we won't be getting any more stages after Umbra Clock Tower...

Last edited:
I'd argue that whatever advantages a character gains from Smashville, most of them are amplified on FD. Between both versions, I'd call Yoshi's Island (Brawl) the most balanced...and it's a shame we won't be getting any more stages after Umbra Clock Tower...
That's certainly fair, Smashville is much more balanced when Shiek's taken out of the equation (though the small side blastzones still give certain characters like Falcon silly stuff they can do... plus the ledges being almost as bad as Battlefield's. Bleeeegh.)

Course, the issue lies in that you can't just take Shiek out of the equation. She's the best character in the game and when you put her on Smashville she gains advantage over the entire roster. I dunno, it's food for thought.

Tutorials to learn how to use characters are very important. Learning the ins and outs of moves, techniques, and more just as much so. But something often overlooked but just as important is knowing what stages to pick and the benefits and disadvantages of stages in competitive play. Youtube channel One Hit Smash has created a new video in a series that aims to analyze legal stages to help those learn more about them. Check out this video on Final Destination!

Learn something useful? Be sure to subscribe to One Hit Smash for future content and check out their videos on Battlefield and Smashville well. Don't forget to drop a comment below to share those thoughts and stay tuned on Smashboards for the best in Smash video tutorials!
Man i wish the wii u could get yoshi story. Hey 3ds got duckhunt, so dont lose hope.

No platform to lower it for your character though. Its very easy to see the ceiling with nothing obscuring your perception.
yeah but in the video they strictly say FD has a higher ceiling than the majority of the other stages, that's not true.

ceilings go, in terms of highest to lowest and assuming on the ground, bf = miiverse > fd = dl = lylat = sv = duck hunt > t&c

Good stuff. You got a subscriber. Keep up the good work

Kirby's dream land 64 or Battlefield seem like the most balanced stages to me
These stages favor characters like Pikachu and Robin far more and diminish the power of camping greatly. I would disagree; I don't think there is a "most balanced stage", rather, that's why we run so many stages, to create a balance.

These stages favor characters like Pikachu and Robin far more and diminish the power of camping greatly. I would disagree; I don't think there is a "most balanced stage", rather, that's why we run so many stages, to create a balance.
Well true, every neutral stage favors particular types of characters to some degree but if we had to pick one type of stage style to be considered "the most balanced" stages ordered like those I mentioned would be my pick.

Top Bottom