• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ondo's CSS Workshop - Less Compressed CSPs

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Finally updated the opening post - it no longer lists updating Out-of-the-Box to PM 3.5 as a future project!

Also released the Compacted CSS - it's the less compressed CSPs build, but with CSPs that are still just as compressed. :) For anyone who wants to start out with a minimal filesize, rather than having the available space already spent on upgrading CSPs to CI8.

Also, my Wii's disk drive has died, so if anyone who's interested could confirms it works on a Wii, I'd appreciate it. (I had been consistently checking that before release, but I never saw it fail after working on Dolphin.) And if anyone knows how to get Project M running on a Wii with a broken drive, 4.3 firmware, and homebrew installed, please PM me or point me to the right place.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Ondo Ondo I feel your pain. I bought the Wii lens cleaner from nintendo in hopes of it just being a dirty lens, but now I know my disk drive is toast as well. I even witnessed it's dying breath when it first broke (read game, then loads Wii System Menu).

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Ondo Ondo I feel your pain. I bought the Wii lens cleaner from nintendo in hopes of it just being a dirty lens, but now I know my disk drive is toast as well. I even witnessed it's dying breath when it first broke (read game, then loads Wii System Menu).
I was looking at the Wii Lens Cleaner on Amazon; might have bought it, except I'm deep in debt and shouldn't be spending money, and it was estimating it'd take a month to arrive...

But I did get my Wii playing Project M again, using cfg loader to run games from a USB drive. (Wanted to run from the SD, but when doing that Project M didn't seem to be reading from the SD.)

Have you got yours running a USB loader or anything yet? If you want, I can point you at the guide I used, or the one I found later and probably should have used. :) I already had homebrew installed, but I think that's possible without a disc drive, not entirely sure.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I was looking at the Wii Lens Cleaner on Amazon; might have bought it, except I'm deep in debt and shouldn't be spending money, and it was estimating it'd take a month to arrive...

But I did get my Wii playing Project M again, using cfg loader to run games from a USB drive. (Wanted to run from the SD, but when doing that Project M didn't seem to be reading from the SD.)

Have you got yours running a USB loader or anything yet? If you want, I can point you at the guide I used, or the one I found later and probably should have used. :) I already had homebrew installed, but I think that's possible without a disc drive, not entirely sure.
I'm heavily considering it. But I at least want the disk drive to work because of the possibility of giving it away when I get a wii u in the future (but nintendont has to support GC Controllers for Brawl/PM first).

Obskore

Smash Ace
I'm heavily considering it. But I at least want the disk drive to work because of the possibility of giving it away when I get a wii u in the future (but nintendont has to support GC Controllers for Brawl/PM first).
while you can, you could use CleanRip to rip your own discs, as long as the disc drive still works

Cahalan

Smash Ace
while you can, you could use CleanRip to rip your own discs, as long as the disc drive still works
Problem is, my disk laser is kapoot. Everytime I put in a disk (single layer or not, gamecube or wii) I always hear 3 clicks, which means it cannot read the disk. If it cant read the disk, the disk drive wont even spin it. So I'm restricted to iso loading and stuff like that until the necessary items come in.

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
So I've got a new version of the reduced size CSS. This version is down another 36KB, to 2,811 KB. It uses 128x160 CSPs, rather than 128x148 - whether the bottom 12 rows are transparent or removed doesn't effect the size significantly, and this way it's easier to add CSPs, since optimizing them is optional. It also means that an optimized CSP can still be used for the results screen as well (as they show even less of the image).

It also now supports 41-50 characters, rather than only exactly 42. It also includes optional support for up to 100 characters, when used with PM+BrawlEx.

I've included options directly in this one download, rather than having separate Compacted, Less Compressed CSPs, and No Names & Less Compressed CSPs downloads. There is the standard base, or one without names. To either of those you can add the Less Compressed CSPs, support for 100 characters, or drop a bunch of data I think is only used with Wifi to save another 78KB. The readme includes instructions on exactly what to replace.

The download is here.

There's also a new version of my batch file for converting CSPs that leaves them at 128x160 available here. The ImageMagick command to do so individually is "convert INPUTFILE Mask.gif -compose DstOut -composite OUTPUTFILE".

Last edited:

Ondo

Smash Apprentice
Just wanted to mention I've fixed my links on Brawl Vault and in the prior post, so you can once again download my stuff. Switched to Google Drive from Dropbox.

Top Bottom