• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On which criteria(s) do you choose your version between two?

Which criteria(s) are you looking the most when you choose between two new versions ?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member

Do you choose your version over the other one because of the Pokémon represented on the boxart ?

Or because of your preference for the element (color, precious metal, precious stone, chromosome) used as the version's name ?

Or because of the Pokémon present exclusively in it in comparison to the others in the other version ?

Or even the three at the same time ?

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
The ONLY reason I chose Red over Blue and Yellow is because if you save up all your money up until you get to Celadon, you can get a Dratini as early as possible. Getting it by the time you get to the Safari Zone isn't as reliable.
I HATE Charizard, so I'm definitely not choosing Red for something stupid like that. I'm disappointed by the lack of Green Version outside of Japan, tbh.

In other words, I choose depending on what Pokemon are available to me easier. Not exactly version-exclusivity but kinda close to it.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
I pick which one I'm building my team upon. For example, I wanted a Zangoose on my team and Alpha Ruby had Zangoose.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I guess it depends on the Pokemon choices, along with the viability of the version exclusives. For an example, White Kyurem is much more viable than Black Kyurem.

Also, White and White 2 are more on the eco-friendly side when you take into account that the construction at Route 4 got abandoned after the discovery of some ruins, and Opelucid City respects nature and history in those games as well.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
I choose which version based on version exclusive Pokemon. First impression comes from the version legendary obviously, but when more info about the games gets released, mainly the version exclusives, then I make my final verdict.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I mainly choose one version over the other depending on the version exclusives.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Gold... because of Ho-Oh in the anime and because I liked gold

Sapphire... because Kyogre looked like a killer whale and I liked sapphire

LeafGreen... because Meowth is exclusive in the game

Nowadays I get both versions because I can... I have both X and Y... I have both Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire... and I intend to get both Sun and Moon.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
I always forget to check the version exclusives before buying a game so I always go by box art. But coincidentally it turns out I prefer most of the version exclusives in my version, though.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I go by version exclusives which usually includes the boxart legendary...

I prefer Kyogre to Groudon, Sapphire has Sableye...

I prefer Lugia to Ho-oh, Soul Silver has Skarmory...

I prefer Yveltal to Xerneas, Y has Dragalge (though Clawitzer is pretty cool too)

Moon sounds more appealing to me, but I'll reserve my judgement until I find out what's available in each version...though Moon is looking like a prime candidate for our first Ice Wolf to be exclusive so we'll see what happens...

D

Deleted member

I usually had all 3 versions, up until HeartGold, in which I picked depending on my favorite legendary.
I also notice that my favorite version is the less popular one, so I also pick that one just to have version exclusives my friends don't have.
Everyone in my group picked X, I picked Y;
Everyone in my group picked AS, I picked OR.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Usually: I ask my friends what they're getting, and I buy the one they didn't buy (or has the least amount of buys within the group) so we can trade exclusives.
Exceptions: When it comes to remakes/sequel, I buy the version I didn't have in the past (ex: HeartGold when I owned original Silver, Black 2 when I owned White 1, etc.)

Though I did buy X because I'm a XX. Neither Gen 6 box legendaries appealed to me.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I always just ask my girlfriend which version she is getting, then I get the other so we can trade version exclusives and compare other differences. She is most likely getting Moon, so I am most likely getting Sun

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
For Generations III, IV, and VI it was based on the box legendary. In Generation V I think I just wanted to play Black because I like black as a color/shade/whateverthe**** over white. Moon is a similar case where I'm picking purely because the version represents in name something I like more than the other one.

Generations 1 and 2 I didn't have to pick, I was spoiled and given both versions for my birthday. Although I got Red first and would prefer Blue later on for some odd reason I never figured out (might just be color affinity again) and I played Gold first and my sis complained I got both games so I let her play Silver, so I sided with Gold ever since.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Primarily it's probably version exclusives, although if I don't care about them I usually pick the one with the better mascot.

Although, that's often version exclusives too...

Arcturian

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Arcturian
I used to let my little brother choose the one he wanted, and then grab the opposite one. He doesn't play Pokemon anymore though, so now I just choose whichever one sounds cooler.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I choose which version I want based on version exclusives.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
I choose which name/theme for the two titles.. I picked white because of Bravairy though but afterwards I picked X because the coloring was blue as opposed to red and I preferred the X legendary despite not really caring for legendary Pokemon as much.. I picked AS because Sapphires are more serene compared to Rubys
Though for G7 I'm going for Moon because the color scheme has a much nicer color scheme to it.. :lol:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Right now my choice is Moon because I like Lunala better than the Lion thing

But I'm going to wait to see the version exclusives

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just the box legend, even though I never use 'em. If there were a version exclusive I was interested in I'd go with that but there hasn't been anything that interested me yet. Nineth Lion it is then.

TheDarkKnightNoivern

Smash Master
Pretty much just the colour of the box:
Blue
Silver/Crystal
Sapphire
Leafgreen
Diamond
Black
X
Moon

If you can't tell I like blue and purple

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Either the version mascot or a version exclusive Pokemon that I want on my team.

LeafGreen (both of the above apply here)
SoulSilver
Alpha Sapphire (I played Ruby on an emulator though because I wanted to use Mawile, which was a mistake because it was an absolutely garabage Pokemon before Gen 6)
Platinum
White (Again, both reasons apply)
White 2 (I didn't really have a choice on this one)
Y
Sun

Doctor Wario

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4313-0727-2141
I choose mainly by the color/gem/whatever is the name of the game.
I chose Black, because I prefer black over white. I prefer ruby over sapphire, y over x, red over blue, gold over silver, pearl over diamond, and sun over moon.
The legendary doesn't matter a whole lot because it is extremely easy to get the other legendary through trading or hacking.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
As I said earlier, my choice is always based on exclusives. There is only 1 moon exclusive I like and a couple more sun exclusives. (Alolan Sandslash being the one moon exclusive)

Sun is going to be my choice this gen.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
I chose Sapphire because it was the only Gen 3 game they had at the Toys R Us.
I chose Platinum because I knew it was the only version with the Distortion World in it.
I chose Soulsilver because I liked Lugia more than Ho-Oh. Still do.
I chose White because I liked Zekrom more than Reshiram. Still do.
I chose White 2 because that's the sequel to White.
I had to get Pokemon X because they ran out of Pokemon Y.
I chose Omega Ruby because I already had the original Sapphire.
I chose Moon because I prefer nighttime over daytime just in general. Also, Alolan Sandslash is the only Regional Variant I give a **** about.
I chose Ultra Moon because Lilligant is my favorite Grass-type and idk why else.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I usually only choose the first version of the game, like choosing Red over Blue, Gold over Silver, Ruby over Sapphire, Diamond over Pearl, Black over White, Black 2 over White 2, X over Y, Omega Ruby over Alpha Sapphire, Sun over Moon, and Ultra Sun over Ultra Moon. That's normally the case unless they have a tertiary option (Yellow/Crystal/Emerald/Platinum), in which I'd choose that over the other two.

My reasons for doing so? I don't know. Maybe I subconsciously view the first version as the canon one, and the second version as an alternate reality or something. I have a thing for canon, you know.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Used to be "Which versions are my friends going to get since they never budge on their decisions and force me to get the opposite"
Now my friends don't play pokemon and the GTS is a thing anyway so I just get whichever name sounds cooler to me... I don't care for legendary pokemon designs these days, so they're a non-factor to me.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I have a sister who always got the opposite version, luckily she's usually happy with the 2nd pick as version excludive stuff doesn't matter to her.
I chose
Red
Silver/Crystal
Sapphire/Emerald
Firered
Pearl
SoulSilver (when they first annouced this game I was super hyped as Johto's my favorite and Lugia's my favorite Legendary.)
Black
White 2
Y
Omega Ruby

NSSKG151

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lucaruto151RedX
3DS FC
1092-1616-4089
Switch FC
SW-4128-7335-9024
For me it depends which Pokémon on the box cover looks cooler between my younger brother and myself.

I liked Ho-oh, Groudon, Palkia, Xerneas, and Solgaleo so I got Gold, Ruby, Pearl, Heartgold, X and Sun and Ultra Sun while my brother liked Lugia, Kyogre, Dialga, Yveltal and Lunala so he got Silver, Sapphire, Diamond, Soulsilver, Y, Moon and Ultra Moon.

The only time we went with something different is the Kanto games. I like the Bulbasaur family but played Blue and Firered and my brother like the Squirtle family but played Yellow and Leafgreen.

Top Bottom