• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On the slow, steady rise of G&W

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
I wanted to make this post before any kind of patch or release of new characters occurs, which looks to be pretty soon even if not today. It won't contain any information that G&W players, particularly those in the skype group (you should join too!) don't know about, but I just wanted to post it for history's sake.

More and more, I'm seeing G&Ws other than myself in tournaments. When I went to KTAR XIV (admittedly, I don't get to travel far, but still), there were 3 other G&Ws, one of which had never met me and wanted to do so immediately. Everyone in my region is joked to have a "pocket G&W", and I have actually seen that occasionally. And I'm even being asked over Facebook by a guy who can't beat Mario on how to play G&W.

But it's not just me and my region at all. Regi is getting fantastic results in Mexico and slowly building an international reputation. Songun's play has encouraged Abadango to put G&W as B+ on a tier list. Vader is dominating his own little corner of California and making cash every week. Lorenzo beat GIMR 2-1 in G&W dittos not too long ago despite not being considered a top G&W by any of us, and looks to wreck at Xanadu eventually if he keeps playing and learning MUs. I could go on and on, but these are the major things I can think of.

And it does seem strange that we're talking like this now, doesn't it?

Traditionally, G&W has been seen as a lower mid tier character with not much going for him. He is considered to be massively downgraded from his Brawl iteration; this board was flooded with complaints about him for many months. And while it would be some top quality mental masturbation to liken his rise in Smash 4 to the rise of S4 Meta Knight, that's just not possible because what is good about G&W is not immediately evident at all.

Everything about G&W looks bad on the surface. He dies early, is almost completely unsafe on shield, has a poor grab, can't (usually, and especially considering the uair nerf) kill from a grab anyway, doesn't land well after an aerial, has almost no projectile game to speak of, and generally has special moves that are extraordinarily situational at best.

Essentially, G&W has absolutely no trait that we can readily ascribe to a top tier character. So how is he even good?

The truth is that G&W does everything else wonderfully.

Being a character who is fundamentally aggressive, using unsafe physical attacks to close in on the enemy, G&W can struggle to get an initial hit. But once he does, it's a nightmare to stop getting hit for a lot of characters. Owing to his very quick foxtrot, his fantastically lingering and distance-covering dash attack, as well as his multiple aerials and safe smashes, G&W has a great ability to "vortex" his opponent; that is to say, he can, particularly in theory, relentlessly and unpredictably tack on damage on any opponent in a disadvantaged position (usually an aerialized opponent, as per this game's mechanics).

And it would be a terrible thing to let G&W vortex you into landing close, because you would get grabbed (if not smashed to death). Off of every grab, he gets at least 20% on a standard basis (dthrow > nair). But he can also get much more, with a potential up B and fair from dthrow > nair. He can do dthrow > uair > nair at low percents on some characters, or even dthrow > uair > uair > up B > fair on the heavies! And there are some great footstool combos that have barely even been put into practice yet but can do some ridiculous damage by the looks of them. Oh, and although it's been nerfed, dthrow > uair for the kill is still a thing on some stages.

So, you ask, why not go to the ledge against G&W? Well, for one, you could probably get dash attacked in the process of going for that anyway; but there's another thing G&W does exceptionally well. G&W is absolutely one of the top edgeguarding characters in the game. When edgeguarding aggressively, fair and bair can threaten people with lingering hitboxes and respectable hits off of raw prediction, and forwardly-tilted Up B exists as a backup move to vortex the opponent off of the stage. On the more defensive end, G&W can trap you into hard-to-tech and sometimes untechable stage spikes with many lingering moves, including his own recovery and even his onstage dash attack on some stages. And don't forget his key, which not only nets great stage spikes as well, but can directly spike from off or on the ledge, killing Duck Hunt as early as 10%!

But, on top of all of this vortexing, throwing, and edgeguarding ability, G&W is also capable of defending by attacking. Let's assume Mario is in the air shooting a fireball at G&W, for example, and I am in an unfavorable position in which bucketing is simply not possible. I can cancel this by invincibility tanking with up smash / up B, disjointing with my fair or bair, windboxing it with uair, or clank it with pretty much any grounded move. And each and every one of these moves can hit or disadvantage Mario in the process of usage as well!

Now, I would not always want to use the defensive properties of my attacks, but it's so tempting. Is pretty much any aerial that's safe on shield being thrown into you? Up smash it and get a kill. Is Yoshi throwing eggs offstage at a bad angle? Disjoint a specific egg and let the lingering hitboxes take care of Yoshi. Is Ness trying to recover? Windbox him with Up B / uair.

And, finally, there is the bucket. While in general, it is quite bad and sacrificial, usually resulting in G&W getting hit, it is still a real threat in some matchups. Mewtwo, Robin, Mega Man, and Lucario have a great deal of worry when it comes to this move (the first in particular). And even the implied threat of it against Mario, Luigi, and a few others can have real and significant psychological effects on the opponent. I have confidence that we will see more of this move to effect as time goes on, commensurate to the rise of G&W.

So, can G&W win a tournament?

The hard and brutal truth of it is that he can't. While he should have positive matchups with the majority of the cast, he has an unwinnable matchup with Fox, who fundamentally counters every single strength listed here in some way by the virtues of his laser / shield camping, extreme fastfalling, throw combo DI, and extremely / surprisingly underrated recovery. Sonic is almost as bad for G&W when proper camping is done, but for different reasons. The Sheik MU, while not as terrible as either of these, is still very bad. And the problem for G&W is that, in any given tournament, he will see a lot of these characters in bracket. Also, we're not even considering the uncommon matchups that are bad for him either - and I'm not talking Rosa, I'm talking Duck Hunt, Bowser, and (Dark) Pit!

But, even given these facts, I still have a great deal of hope for his future, even if his history of getting nerfed for no reason continues. And I don't mean to say this because I haven't even gone over the nuances of his platform game, solid jab game, and so on - I mean it because I am confident that the strengths of this character are evident enough as stated herein for him to at least be an odd counterpick, dual main, or mid to high level threat as this game's scene continues. And, given the right buffs to him and / or nerfs to problem characters, he could become a serious threat on his own. Imagine if he had a true kill throw - that'd be almost perfect for him!

People are picking G&W up and those who don't are beginning to take him quite seriously in tournament, worrying about every up smash and dash attack. He may not be the best, but he is sure as hell making a comeback - and the results and participation rates are beginning to prove that, surely and steadily.

Infinite901

Smash Ace
NNID
Infinite901
3DS FC
3282-4624-0341
Very well written. It's true that everyone has a Game and Watch in our region lol.

May I ask who you think is a good secondary to pick up to cover his downsides is?

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I'm glad I wasn't going crazy when I thought the same. I've noticed people are no longer taken by surprise when I pull out G&W because he's steadily become a more widely-used secondary for a lot of people. I can't particularly speak to why the sudden trend change considering how "un-sexy" of a character he is to the average Smash player, but it's noticeable across the country that people are suddenly aware of the character.

Just speaking to my own personal experience, his dash attack may be one of the best grounded edgeguarding moves in the game, especially against characters who are dangerous to go offstage against (e.g. the flame choke-happy Ganons). Forxtrotting into extended dash dancing at the edge messes with people's assessment of the situation because you essentially cover all your options with a shorthopped-Fair/Nair, Usmash or dash attack. It truly is sublime. While some matchups are incredibly frustrating and the reason for him not being a legitimate tournament winner, the nuances of his meta are becoming more apparent as we all continue to trudge forward.

NNID
yeevahon
I've been playing this character for so long, I can't wait to watch more, better g&w mains come up and teach me even more about this character. I've been doing better and better at local tournaments and am going to back to back ones this weekend. Hopefully I can give this guy the representation he deserves!

Vader614

Smash Cadet
NNID
andyvader
This was a really good read, SeanS. And I'm glad that we're starting to see more players picking up G&W. Giving the character more respect and recognition that he deserves.

Also I really appreciate the shout out to me, SeanS. I'd do my best to represent us and our favorite 80s, flat fighter. =)

-Vader

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
What change to UAir are you talking about? I've checked recent patch differences and there were no changes to UAir. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the only notable changes he's had are the alteration to UTilt's launch angle, DTilt's knockback, and a reduction to BAir's landing lag on hit. All of which are buffs. The last patch made his safety on shield worse in general, though that's because of mechanic changes.

Anyway, I agree that he has some great options, particularly with juggling and edgeguarding. And, quite honestly, his damage per hit is probably slightly above average. The fact is, though, that his poor air-to-ground transitions, light weight, and poor kill power (well, options), and lack of safe pokes are quite detrimental. As he is there's little to reason to pick him in a serious tournament except against Pikachu and possibly Mario unless you are absolutely dedicated to the character (which I support!). His risk/reward is simply too low and his gameplan, or at least neutral, too linear. But I am hopeful for a few choice buffs to help make him more competitive.

SeanS

Smash Journeyman
What change to UAir are you talking about? I've checked recent patch differences and there were no changes to UAir.
uair, bair, and fair changed with the more recent patches. We still don't understand how fair and bair changed, but I know that uair is easier to DI out of as well as less interconnected between the two hits, just from experience.

In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the only notable changes he's had are the alteration to UTilt's launch angle, DTilt's knockback, and a reduction to BAir's landing lag on hit. All of which are buffs
The vast consensus amongst G&W players is that utilt worsened greatly. Its primary use was out of dthrow, and in this perspective it objectively worsened by forcing G&W to commit to a movement option after using it successfully, The commonly cited example is that whereas dthrow utilt utilt nair UpB fair was a thing on Captain Falcon pre-patch, the number of utilts in this combo is now less and the combo is no longer true.

I don't have any videos of it, but I know that if you look *SUPER* hard, you can find some ways that Songun in Japan made great use of it, even outside of true throw combos. (I don't really watch him so I can't help you here)

Last edited:

Kofu

Smash Master
NNID
Atoyont
3DS FC
1521-4492-7542
uair, bair, and fair changed with the more recent patches. We still don't understand how fair and bair changed, but I know that uair is easier to DI out of as well as less interconnected between the two hits, just from experience.
I'm still skeptical here (though I will admit that I haven't been able to play for a few months and thus can't contribute my opinion from personal experience). While there are changes listed in the files for UAir (as well as DTilt, NAir, and BAir) they're before the meat of the attack data and likely have no bearing on gameplay. Additionally, the first hit of UAir has knockback growth and has never had the autolink angle which has always made landing both hits a bit of a chore. I'm willing to give you a bit of leeway here since IIRC UTilt's change wasn't really documented either.

The vast consensus amongst G&W players is that utilt worsened greatly. Its primary use was out of dthrow, and in this perspective it objectively worsened by forcing G&W to commit to a movement option after using it successfully, The commonly cited example is that whereas dthrow utilt utilt nair UpB fair was a thing on Captain Falcon pre-patch, the number of utilts in this combo is now less and the combo is no longer true.

I don't have any videos of it, but I know that if you look *SUPER* hard, you can find some ways that Songun in Japan made great use of it, even outside of true throw combos. (I don't really watch him so I can't help you here)
Whoops, I was tired when I made the post and forgot about UTilt tbh. Yeah, UTilt is a nerf, not a buff (though a strange one).

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
Just speaking from personal experience, the first hit on Uair has a different trajectory on most non-heavies above roughly 25-30% (don't quote me on that), i.e. the second hit is no longer a less challenging task due to the slight angle change and the ability to vector immediately out of the first hit. Uair never had autolink like Kofu stated but the second to me at least, appeared easier to land earlier in the game's life.

Top Bottom