• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On and off player looking for help

Qbee

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I've been playing on and off for around 2 years now and I main Jiggs. I'm really struggling to improve and I have no idea what to do to actually improve. My friends say I'm good at reading them and I notice when I play on netplay I struggle equally with players at a higher rank and players at a lower rank. I feel like I am only good at learning the persons play style and playing around it but have little to no tech, mindgames, movement, (my punish is okay except with easy rests I never go for them) If anybody is willing to help im all ears thank you!

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
If you can upload vids, helps with more precise tips. As for in general is it character struggles, stages or just in general? Puff doesn't need alot of tech so as long as you can turtle, wall and ground tech and l cancel you should be fine. Movement should just be controlling the air. Ground isn't needed that much but will come in handy. Mind games is the biggest thing you need for puff, as a former puff player I would always put people in a generic rest set up(ex up throw rest) but don't, get really close and go for a rest a little later, by doing this you make the opponent be more cautious with what they are doing and then it is easier to get in their head. After one or two of unique rests you can start going for e generic rest as this will probably start tilting them.

Qbee

Smash Rookie
If you can upload vids, helps with more precise tips. As for in general is it character struggles, stages or just in general? Puff doesn't need alot of tech so as long as you can turtle, wall and ground tech and l cancel you should be fine. Movement should just be controlling the air. Ground isn't needed that much but will come in handy. Mind games is the biggest thing you need for puff, as a former puff player I would always put people in a generic rest set up(ex up throw rest) but don't, get really close and go for a rest a little later, by doing this you make the opponent be more cautious with what they are doing and then it is easier to get in their head. After one or two of unique rests you can start going for e generic rest as this will probably start tilting them.
I actually really want to record my games and review them but I use a lower end laptop for netplay and I just lose all my frames when I try and record. Umm, I find that my issue is I think I'm repetitive and even if I can read people okay they read me like a book too. I actually just realized I've been doing waaay too much ground play and hovering and creating zone walls is a real struggle. Saw it at a tourney I was at the other day. Haha thank you though! Appreciate the response.

melee library is a good resource.
I just found that resource a little bit ago, plan on going in depth with it :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom