• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

On Agression in the Fox MU

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I was watching Mang0 talking about the Fox/Falco matchup and he said that it's important for Falco to force Fox to come to him. I tried that for a while. Last night a friend of mine was trying to record some combos to show friends and told me to play aggressively. I did so and actually had more success against the same Fox I played against before. Here's some video of the two approaches side by side: http://youtu.be/o5lh6EHtHro
What do y'all think? Is it just this Fox I should go aggressively against or do you think Falco is able to go aggressive against Fox and still be super successful?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
No offense, but your punish game is not that good to fully judge this in general. If you want advice, yes do whatever works for you against your friend.

As in general, and imo, I think you're much better of making the fox come to you since you, the falco, making a mistake takes less skill (technically speaking) to punish hard. Fox can kill you from a single shine and all of his follow ups are easier and arguably more guaranteed than yours.

I think mango heavily relies in his punish game vs fox, and that's the way he loves to play the match up, and there's nothing really wrong with it, except for the fact that if his combos aren't on point, he's going to loose (apex). I think what mango meant to say is that you should always be looking for ways to lure/trick the fox to make a mistake and then punish him big time. Then again, punish game is a big part in this type of play and in general for this match up.

AirFair

Marth tho
Honestly, I think that it's just this fox in particular. In such a high stakes matchup, you need to make them come to you.

Varist

Smash Lord
Hey, I had time to watch a few matches in your video.

First, you played better and were making more solid decisions overall in the first half of the video. I noticed throughout the matches that your Fox friend seems to have trouble using his out of shield options and dealing with aggression in general. I wouldn't recommend the 'style' you used in the second half, you were making very questionable decisions that were only working because the Fox was seriously lacking in neutral game fundamentals.

At your level of play, you shouldn't look at the stock count to determine whether something you were doing was working or not. Often the decider of low level matches is the punishment game because players don't know how to properly use their defenses and it becomes a random race to who gets four kills.

I recommend slowing down your video and looking at why you made each decision. Good luck!

Last edited:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
No offense, but your punish game is not that good to fully judge this in general.
None taken; I'm pretty trash.

The annoying thing is that I only ever really play against him and one other guy, so it's super tempting to work on stuff that works against him rather than stuff that'll help me in general. I'll work on baiting and waiting in the MU in general and on my punish game.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Top Bottom