• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: Play Lame; Win Game

Ever heard the playstyle of a fellow Smash player described as 'lame'? Wonder what it really means or if the term is even being fairly used? Omni is back with another of his signature vlogs to discuss playing 'lame'. In it he talks a bit about the use of this moniker, how some players (including famed Melee God Hungrybox) have been treated for playing 'lame' and more. Give it a watch!

Like the video and want more Omni goodness? Be sure to check out some of his other vlogs like Diddy Is Innocent, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier, and 3 Steps To Finding Your Main Character. Have some thoughts on playing 'lame'? Sound off in the comments below and stay tuned to Smashboards for future Smash video coverage!

Last edited:

Comments

Pretty much nailed it. I was always baffled by people booing Hbox v Armada when pretty much any style of Fox play is the lamest **** ever by default. People see what they want to see. Play to win.

Oke, Omni may know him some Smash, but for the love of Beerus don't call Gohan ya boii if you would say he was at anytime the strongest in the Universe.
Keep Smash, leave DBZ to us.

People who say certain characters/playstyles/strategies are lame are lame themselves. (Remember that lame is not the same as OP.)

He's not wrong. But it's still annoying to be a spectator of a campy match. Back when I was half decent my friends would get mad at me for "being lame" too. Edge hogging was considered lame with my melee and brawl friends.

But then I met a player who was better than me... and of course, he was lame and that's why he won! ;)
(because learning combos and getting good is lame, of course!!)

Last edited:
Oke, Omni may know him some Smash, but for the love of Beerus don't call Gohan ya boii if you would say he was at anytime the strongest in the Universe.
Keep Smash, leave DBZ to us.
To be fair, Gohan was intended to be stronger than everyone. but again, for the same reason the series was supposed to end after the freiza saga, both the fans and the producer(I believe) more or less forced Toriyma to continue/write it how they wanted. so Goku stayed as the strongest.

When will Omni stop being right? It's like this guy always says the truth even tho it's not pretty or popular to the scrubby levels of the community. Props to him!

I agree with Omni Omni but one thing to note here is that there are certain strategies that are not only lame but also hurtful to the game and you can't just shrug off with "bro I'm only playing my character", one example is that olimar glitch that allowed him to one hit kill anyone on any percent. Infinite stalling is another thing that should be always banned.

I defend top players who are labeled as lame and I understand that it is often times the best strategy but personally I just can't do it, when I start to play that way because I'm afraid of losing a match I instantly stop having fun and start feeling like an asshole. I think bottom line is if you're top 8 at a tourney or something do what you gotta do to win, any other situation don't, because playing "not lame" is more fun for both players, better for spectators, helps you to better learn your characters limits, and most importantly keeps you from getting bored and uninterested in the game. If you play lame in friendlies think about it like this, is the concept of winning so important to you that you would rather see a 2-3 second victory screen with your character on it or a 5-6 minute game with cool, interesting things happening the whole time?

if I were to summarize what was said in this video, "there are two types of pros in competition, those who hype the crowd and those with a pragmatic outlook."

sure, it gets tedious to play someone who stubbornly zones almost al the time... but it's because that strategy works best for them that they do it.

so, yeah, Omni Omni , it's a VERY bitter pill to swallow... unfortunately, I get the impression that we're going to need a catchphrase or some kind of reminder for naysayers unwilling to swallow it.

and I don't think "be Pragmatic" would really roll off the tongue.

LiteralGrill LiteralGrill it's "sound off", not "sound of"... just a little nitpick

Last edited:
I agree for the most part with the sentiment. Optimized play is just a thing. Eventually people figure out a good approach and things change. Mew2King is definitely a good example as his current Smash 4 strategy that's doing decently for him is literally just a DK 2 hit combo.

I think Chris G's a pretty bad example though when things like that Morrigan setup actually started killing the game's viewer numbers. Sure, Chris G made good money in the time it took for people to figure that out, but a lot of people either started imitating it or dropping the game at that point. That is, of course, not the only reason MVC3 is almost nearly dead as a tournament scene, but things like that are a major contributing factor. Point is, there is a point where doing the optimum strategy is actively damaging to an entire community, but this is fairly rare.

It's also somewhat important to remember that, yes, in a tournament setting, being optimum is just what you should do, but always doing what the best option is in friendlies is often just bad sportsmanship.

Still, interesting video.

If you are playing a Fighting game(or boxing), which are centered around beating the **** out of the other guy, and you're just sitting there doing the same thing, or idk, "Playing Lame" then you don't understand the point of it all. It's not to win(believe it or not), it's to make a good show and beat the other guy up. This is why some boxers will forever be held in higher regard than Mayweather, even though Mayweather never lost. Same with fighting games. Sure you can just Hadoken and Shoryuken the whole match and win, but of course you'll be hounded because that's pretty cheap makes you a ****ty player, no one wants to see any of that. The game is meant to be exciting and technical, that's what people want to see when spectating, not some Fox jumping up and down shooting lasers over and over, or some Jiggs constantly ledge camping, or the infamous FG Links just using projectiles everywhere.

However, another thing we must realize is that most of the time, that's what the character has to do to win in a tournament. You honestly thing Link would win in a fast-paced match vs Falcon, or Shiek without spamming projectiles? Or do you think Astaroth would beat Talim without using grab every 5 seconds? Do you think Mayweather would've beat Pac if he didn't run around and hug him most of the match? Of course they wouldn't, because they aren't using their "tools." But, who wants to cheese the **** outta someone else and get a empty victory? Sure it's a win, but if you won like a little ***** then is it something to be proud of? Nope, not at all.

Still, those who DO win this way, probably do it because that's the only way, as mentioned above. So, maybe if we change their tools to still be capable of winning, as well as fulfilling the whole point of fighting games, then maybe everyone would be happy. Gotta start looking at the creators of the fighting game, Capcom, Bandai Namco, Nintendo, etc. whenever we see some cheap ass players cheesing his/her way to a win, and thinking they're better, because it was them who gave the characters the cheap ass tools to use.

Simply rolling a lot and using a lot of projectiles isn't something I really criticize, at least not in itself. However, there's a difference between using a lot of rolls because rolling can be a great move, and using rolls as your only method of moving from point A to point B. And then there's also a difference between using projectiles well and strategically, and just spamming them. In the world of FG, there's a ton of lazy rolling and spam. It's not a whole lot of fun if the other player just wants to roll spam and projectile spam you. I have no problem knocking that type of play-style.

Omni is 100% right. Some characters have ways to totally cheese a match. That means they are able to secure a win early or safely if given time. Why NOT use those cheeser-cheese tactics/moves? The former(easy win) means that the flight will not be too dramatic and will end quickly. The latter(safe win) means a lot will happen or barely anything, but the match will last a loooong time. Both instances produce low levels of stress free fun for the players, except for the satisfaction/dissatisfaction of winning/losing. Perfect for serious matches where status or money is on the line. That's the goal in serious matches. Similar to how serious football games are not for fun but for winning/glory.

Other than that, it is very boring in constant amounts. NEVER play lame in friendlies or even random matches. NOTHING worthwhile is obtained by winning and fun is mutually compromised. "Yay I won! Yaaaay!" OK, but what was the most fun part about the match? Were you ever thrilled by being on the edge of your seat or mesmerized by stylishness? "Uuuuuuuuuh IDK buuuut uuuuum... I won?" Congratulations! You just had 1-5 minutes of pure unfun, but hey, you won tho! Which also means your opponent also bathed in purposeless unfun too! Why? "... whoops! No wonder why people leave after 1-2 matches."

The more you just go all out and fight in a fighting game in friendlies/randoms, the more fun is had. Simple logic. Like. Hell. My WR is 83%(LAME unneeded; I don't even really care) with mainly Zelda. I get all up in that fight and never LAME(much) unless I'm being LAME'd. People stay 10+ matches despite losing... Why? Bcuz fun of the moment + ooooh stylish skills + thrills > 1~15 seconds of joy post-win. Or maybe Zelda's sassy elegance entrances them and they are physically unable to hit B.

OMG BAN•ZELDA TO FREE THEM!!!

(side fact: try hards or lamers tend to leave after losing to Zelda. Salt overload counters Zelda's alluring style, effectively freeing them of her elegant sassy entrancement.)

TLDR= Be LAME like cray in serious fights (tournies) to secure safe or easy wins. Duh. Fight for fun in friendlies or ramdoms (if you're purely camping/never taking risks, ya doin it wrong). I feel like I said this before...

Disclaimer: cleerlee dis b opinyuns

Last edited:
I defend top players who are labeled as lame and I understand that it is often times the best strategy but personally I just can't do it, when I start to play that way because I'm afraid of losing a match I instantly stop having fun and start feeling like an *******. I think bottom line is if you're top 8 at a tourney or something do what you gotta do to win, any other situation don't, because playing "not lame" is more fun for both players, better for spectators, helps you to better learn your characters limits, and most importantly keeps you from getting bored and uninterested in the game. If you play lame in friendlies think about it like this, is the concept of winning so important to you that you would rather see a 2-3 second victory screen with your character on it or a 5-6 minute game with cool, interesting things happening the whole time?
Agreed. Totally cool in a tourney match. Anywhere else, no. Unless you're doing serious practice sets in preparation for a tourney.

I agree with omni, but we have to remember that smash is also a spectator sport. No one wants to watch needle camping shiek or ledge camping jigglypuffs. Plus tactics such as the ones mentioned might discourage people to play.

Yes, Playing lame is fine unless you play ness. Even if it gets you wins and that's the point of this video, that doesn't count.

As a Sonic main, I can definitely relate to this video. Seriously, every time Seagull, 6WX, or any other Sonic player is on stage
"Sonic is so boring to watch"
"All Sonic's spam side b and do nothing else"
"F*** Sonic"

But hey, the Smash community's number 1 talent is complaining so what can I do. lol

As a Sonic main, I can definitely relate to this video. Seriously, every time Seagull, 6WX, or any other Sonic player is on stage
"Sonic is so boring to watch"
"All Sonic's spam side b and do nothing else"
"F*** Sonic"

But hey, the Smash community's number 1 talent is complaining so what can I do. lol
You make a great point though: **** sonic indeed.

omni once again slaying smash babies lmfao. thank u for targeting this audience becuz it's one of the biggest problems at this current time. ppl always say "stop playing so lame dabuz!!! ResidentSleeper! seagul joe so boring ugh..." but who's the one winning at high level play hunny? thank u omni

Thinking about it a bit more there are a few problems with this...

A. as I stated earlier, smash is a game largely held up by its spectators. When people start playing, "Lame" then you begin to alienate a large part of the community. Do you really think people want to watch laser camping Fox, or an Ice Climber player that consistently wobbled. Of course not. Then the game would become stale and lose viewership. Not only that, but without viewer's why would big tourneys such as EVO want to feature smash? This would only hurt competitive smash players as they wouldn't be making that $$$. Then again, I'm being somewhat unrealistic as smash is way to big for that to truly happen. Hey, food for your thoughts.

B. you also risk alienating new players. I've actually seen this happen a lot. People will play a fighting game, get beat by spam, and then give up on the game. You could say that all they need to do is learn the game, but here's the thing... You'll still have players who, "spam" and the game just won't be encouraging to play. Even high end smashers have stated that they hate playing against certain players/people.

C. the beauty of fighting games is that you can't just turn the game on and expect to win. You actually have to LEARN how to play. If we encourage people to play, "lame" then the game won't develop.

But hey! I think we're all responsible for playing, "lame" every once in awhile.

D
Maybe it's time spectators change, then?

It takes considerable skill to be able to camp your opponent and takes a lot of skill to overcome camping as well. This whole sense of "honor" really doesn't apply to video games. I mean, hell, if anyone wants to bring up "honor" into this, then we might as well not fight off stage or edgeuard someone, or stomp someone off stage with Captain Falcon's Dair.

Some characters really need some distance to be able to compete sometime, not every character is going to be rushdown. Does anyone realize the amount of skill it takes to get over rushdown characters when you aren't using rushdown and using defensive and camping tactics to keep their immense speed and great frame data at bay? Tremendous skill.

People should be looking at it in that way, that this is a fight of mental fortitude and excellent strategy. That should be the thing being appreciated and we should have no limits on how we fight. We should fight to our fullest potential, that is a true skillful and depthful game.

Maybe it's time spectators change, then?

It takes considerable skill to be able to camp your opponent and takes a lot of skill to overcome camping as well. This whole sense of "honor" really doesn't apply to video games. I mean, hell, if anyone wants to bring up "honor" into this, then we might as well not fight off stage or edgeuard someone, or stomp someone off stage with Captain Falcon's Dair.

Some characters really need some distance to be able to compete sometime, not every character is going to be rushdown. Does anyone realize the amount of skill it takes to get over rushdown characters when you aren't using rushdown and using defensive and camping tactics to keep their immense speed and great frame data at bay? Tremendous skill.

People should be looking at it in that way, that this is a fight of mental fortitude and excellent strategy. That should be the thing being appreciated and we should have no limits on how we fight. We should fight to our fullest potential, that is a true skillful and depthful game.
I think the problem is that it seems like a lot of newer players have joined the competitive scene recently, and they have come with preconceived notions. Especially with Smash 4. So many more younger players who only know what their first few google searches have told them about the game, and think it makes them "pro."

This.... so much of this. I always hate it when people complain about playing lame, because all they're showing by doing so is that they don't know enough about the game to break through it. Nor do they have the immense patience it takes to play in such a way themselves. It's honestly an issue I see with my own playstyle, and I fully intend to shift it towards more careful and defensive play at some point in the future once I improve in other parts of the game.

Friendlies are an entirely different ball game, of course, since camping and stalling in a for fun environment is just kind of jerkish. However, people need to understand that tournies are tournies, and that neither the game nor the tourney's ruleset really could care less how you get the win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom