• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: 3 Ways to Control Salt

As a competitor, the desire to win and do well is a driving force in one’s tournament performance. Smash players, and competitive gamers in general, understand this aspiration to do well. However, with all this passion contained in one area, disappointments are bound to occur. It is that strong feeling of frustration that builds up inside during a match, and once the match is over, it can be released as “salt.” The idea of being salty is one that most players have seen several times over the course of their career, and it is a common side-effect of overwhelming passion for the game. Being frustrated or salty is understandable and common; however, if one does not know how to properly manage it, the salt can ruin one’s gameplay for the rest of the tournament. Thankfully, Omni has provided the Smash Community with a new video that provides tips that can teach even the most passionate players how to control their emotions.

You can check out Omni’s Youtube Channel, where he covers a wide range of topics referring to the Smash Community, and also follow him on Twitter @InfernoOmni.

Ever witness a salty moment? Let us know in the comment section below.

Comments

I know this emotion all too well at school. its not me with the Salt however.

I bring my setup to the cafe and duke it out with Fellow students on their break. a majority of them aren't tourney savvy,but still play the game.
I've never entered a tourney before,but most people around me say i'm pretty good.

this lead to some salt in later matches,and even more salt when a Jiggly player entered the frey and landed some clutch rests on everyone else but me. players next to me start muttering salty slurs,and players further away start yelling.

tbh,i find it kinda funny.

If i do get upset,i'll try to look at what the player does and adapt to it. start asking questions in my head.
"Why am I doing this move?"
"Why is he doing that move?" and so on.

Last edited:
Controlling your salt is really important. I personally think that the WWDD is a better option as you are trying to stay calm and not showing any salt. It just seems more of a sensible option IMO. I should implement this now since i just discovered this because of the video. :p

I know how it feels sometimes... mostly i get salty when i keep losing in Smash 4 because i can be read very easily and get punished and not understanding why it happened... and then keep losing but i always try to drink some water and that does help sometimes but controlling your salt is better with the advice that was shown in the video. If you are new to the game then just play to learn as that will help you more to get better at the game.

It is not worth it to randomly break your controller, swear at your opponent, damage equipment just because you lost a set or got eliminated at losers finals. If you do lose just say GG and shake your opponents hand. After that just relax for a few minutes until you think you are ready to play again and play friendlies.

I actually really enjoy maximizing my time on the angel platform to take a moment to compose myself, take a deep breath, and adapt in between stocks. Kinda like what you'll see PPMD do occasionally. That's generally how I'll handle my anger.

I didn't quite decipher it when omitting the Anime references mentally, so let me see if I got it right... I'm betting I'll be very off, but I'm trying...

Method 1: "once you get wound up, stay that way enough to maintain motivation, don't let yourself relax too much."

Method 2: "follow the example of a role model player, in this case Daigo, who [presumably] tightly keeps his emotions in check."

Method 3: "use your emotions as fuel for a goal."

if I got it wrong, I run on somewhat practical analogies for understanding...

Any and all deities that have ever been worshiped have sent the world a gift. The divine messenger, Omni, is more than happy to deliver to the mortal realm.

l've been praying for this ever since l first watched his videos and now, finally, l've been answered.

Concepts in Shounen anime being used as reference points on how to deal with your salt triggers during play sessions of competitive fighters is really cool Omni. :)

Just think about why are you letting X move keep hitting you over and over and find a counter to it. There's a counter to everything in the neutral.

Omni's '3 ways to control Salt' feat. Anime, Heart of the Cards. lol
But in all seriousness, Good Video. Not many people offer advice on the mental aspect of the game, even though it is an important key to success. I'd like to see more discussion on it.
I've never been super-salty after a match, I've had my emotions go unchecked and got really down on myself before, but never really mad enough to lash out at anyone/thing (maybe the game is more important to some people than it is to me...idk).
I'm sure this video hit home for others, hopefully they we be able to get some good from it.

Last edited:
As a Dedede main, Option 2 is practically mandatory for me, as I'm spending the majority of matches getting combo'd to next Tuesday.

On a side note, the salt my IRL friends (People have those!?) get when I play R.O.B is plentiful to the point where I have a stake in my local McDonald's. I'm not even good with R.O.B, I just get a lot of spikes with him.

Top Bottom