• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omni: 3 Steps To Finding Your Main Character

Omni is back yet again with a vlog! Many people know Omni for some of the vlogs he has released including Diddy Is Innocent, Why Smash 4 Will Die, Why You Should Pick A Top Tier and others. This time Omni has sat down to discuss a topic very relevant to many players: choosing a main. He gives three tips on how to make the choice and explains the reasoning behind each. Give the video a watch and let us know in the comments below of these tips helped!

Comments

Omni l, man you don't know jack....

...You telling me that best chose Charmander over Squirtle? Get out of here. People who choose Squirtle has much more success in their lives than Charmander players who think they are special.
No real person would go for Bulbsaur

Omni l, man you don't know jack....

...You telling me that best chose Charmander over Squirtle? Get out of here. People who choose Squirtle has much more success in their lives than Charmander players who think they are special.
No real person would go for Bulbsaur
So I'm not a real person for picking bulbasuar? And the completionist also isn't real?

Moral: Never, ever trust Ness mains. They don't like butts. If you do, you will get taken to FD and auto comboed.

Also, I'm that guy that just sits in the corner until all the other kids pick their Starter and pick whoever counters it.

Well I've mained Link since 64, so it really was a no-brainer for me...especially since he's the most viable in this this game...

Of all the days I don't bring my headphones with me, I'll have to check this out once I get home.

Bulbasaur may not be a real pokeyman, but Mega Venasaur is an indomitable barricade made of hitpoints and broken dreams.

Well I've mained Link since 64, so it really was a no-brainer for me...especially since he's the most viable in this this game...
Same. I main Falcon in 64 as a kid because he just an over the top awesome character. And he fit my playstyle.

People just play the character because it fits

Even more stuck on who to pick? Pick a character that you like from their original game. Smash isn't just a fighting game- it's a fighting game with recognizable characters from other franchises. And obviously, you play Nintendo games if you play Smash. Pick someone from a Nintendo game you've played.

Great guide, but why hate on Ness lol. I main Ness and I can say for sure that I like butts. Whether I have a soul that's debatable. Plus the hate on Bowser man why you do this lol. Other then that great stuff, plus I did find it funny :)

Use Ness in 2 games. Don't understand the hate.

Also, I picked Bulbasaur.

#Bulbasaurbestchoice

Alright
I understand this completely
Time to pick a main and jump into the scene
*RUNS UP TO GAME&WATCH AND MARRIES*
allhaillowtiers

Dude Venusaur was borderline high tier back in RBY, Charizard is low... I mean, it's better than picking Blastoise, but seriously?

Use Ness in 2 games. Don't understand the hate.

Also, I picked Bulbasaur.

#Bulbasaurbestchoice
The only people exempt from the Ness hate are those who have played him previous games too for the love of the character. Lets face it Ness is plain BAD in melee and brawl. The sudden Earthbound fans (Naaaahhhh ignore the fact hes a top tier now) are the ones who get it lol.

Last edited:
I searched for months to find a character, and finally settled on ZSS because she's fun to play for me, and she's obviously top tier.

I feel like you got sidetracked for longer periods than you should have in this video. You also did it a little often. Just my input.

I love link, mained him in 64 as a kid, and made the HUGE mistake of maining him for 1.5 years in melee.

From a melee standpoint, link sucks. You are MUCH better off playing a viable character like fox or Marth.

Although link is still my favorite video game character, losing isn't fun. Won't touch him with a 10 foot pole at this point.

Have been a lot happier since I started using fox in 2007, haven't looked back since. Link is just garbage once you know his gimmicks.

while your advice is sound, Omni Omni , your examples certainly require a grain of salt. the Pokemon analogy in particular sort of rubs folks the wrong way at face value... however, you're just bringing up the Starters (I pick Bulbasaur first, I trade for Charmander later, BTW), nevermind the five possible backup Pokemon you'll catch on the way.

Identifying the kind of player one is is important... although the big problem I see is that the community has sort of set standards and expectations on what type of style is popular. if you're not among that group, you won't get recieved very well

most of the community has ingrained a more aggressive way of play (which I believe stems from Melee's style, which has a higher preference toward aggression and up close combos), so someone who defies that mold by playing more defensively ends up with some pressure from their peers.

do they stay with what they're best with or do they compromise their style to relieve pressure from their peers? If I recall, Dabuz and his RosaLuma wasn't that liked until it became clear folks could trample his defenses and take him out.

Last edited:
Even though Sonic is the bane of almost everyone's existance, I will never drop him.
As long as he's in future Smash games, I will main him no matter what.

Either low tier :sonic: or high tier :4sonic:, the blue blur will always be favorite character. Not just in Smash but in video games as well (except Sonic Boom)

Main = :4sonic:
Secondary = :4greninja:
Pocket = A mix between :4fox:,:4falcon: or :4falco:, I can't really decide.
Oh and, a true man always chooses :004:

Last edited:
The second time I watched the PAC-MAN trailer, I knew (and felt) he would be my main, and that is the case lol. So strange.

I'm an aggressive player but I suck at Sheik, ZSS, Greninja, Falcon, and basically anyone good.
So I main Kirby.
I'm a good Kirby.
Kind of.

I have a friend who thinks he's cool because he switches his main every other day so he can "main everyone." And another friend who will see a high level player play Jigglypuff then immediately main Jigglypuff then a week later he sees a high level player play Diddy and he'll be like "The only way to keep up in this Meta is to play Diddy! Hurry and change your main everyone!"

Oh, and in smash 4 I main Peach. It carried over from Brawl, but, because brawl is so slow, my Peach adapted to smash 4 so I had to pick up Kirby in brawl in addition to my Ness.

Top Bottom