• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

omg please, some help against kirby

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Maybe it was just because i was playing netplay, rip lag. Or maybe my match up knowledge is really low and these were the first good kirby's i faced. Whatever the cause may be, the effect was a frustrating night and enough salt to preserve a cow. I dont know what to do against kirby. My off stage recoveries were getting owned (been playing 3.6 since beta and ive never really felt the down-b nerf till last night, i gotta say it hurts). I quickly figured out that the fight needs to stay on the ground, but i need some more advice. thanks

prem

Smash Apprentice
I hate this matchup with a passion too, basically all you can do is space bairs. like if you can get a grab or a dair it leads to a few more hits, but baically you just want to be as safe as possible because you arent supposed to make it back in this matchup with hammer being super strong, and his crouch makes you sad cause you can only dash grab it i think

Foo

Smash Lord
spaced bairs and punish kirby when he goes airborne. If you can do it, pivot dsmash is amazing in this matchup. Stage control (keeping center stage mostly) is basically the entire matchup. Stay away from the edge unless you are edgeguarding.

Last edited:

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
I hate this matchup with a passion too, basically all you can do is space bairs. like if you can get a grab or a dair it leads to a few more hits, but baically you just want to be as safe as possible because you arent supposed to make it back in this matchup with hammer being super strong, and his crouch makes you sad cause you can only dash grab it i think
Pivot dsmash? as in bait kirby with a retreat and then pivot dsmash?

Foo

Smash Lord
Yes, retreating pivot dsmash. It beats any approach option kirby chooses unless he is playing around it or he does a really unsafe fair or something. The main thing to use this against is kirbys dash attack off of a platform shenanigans.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
alright ill give this a try. Trying to wall out someone with a barrage of precisely spaced bairs is so damn hard on netplay.

Roche_CL

Smash Journeyman
Space Bairs and fire the lazor in neutral. Try to punish with a grab Uthrow, or Dair, once he is in the air, you can easily juggle with Uairs and Nairs.
Kirbys like to go for the edge sideways with the UpB, so cover that by rolling onto the stage.

ted dorosheff

Smash Apprentice
Yes, retreating pivot dsmash. It beats any approach option kirby chooses unless he is playing around it or he does a really unsafe fair or something. The main thing to use this against is kirbys dash attack off of a platform shenanigans.
What are the inputs for pivot dsmash?

Foo

Smash Lord
What are the inputs for pivot dsmash?
When you are in dash (but not run), when you turn around you can do ANYTHING for one frame and one frame only. If you time it perfectly, hit back and down-cstick at the same time to pivot downsmash. It's hard to do and takes lots of practice. I'd be lying if I said I was consistent enough to do it in actual games, but I'm working on it. You can also use it to dash forwards and fsmash forwards without waiting to go into run.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Dthrow->fair/RAR bair kill confirms are a thing if you get a grab at higher percents. Not always a true combo, but close enough. RAR bair gets easier with a bit of extra percent, fair works better early on when they take a bit less hitstun.

This is also true against Jigglypuff, for anyone wondering.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
When you are in dash (but not run), when you turn around you can do ANYTHING for one frame and one frame only. If you time it perfectly, hit back and down-cstick at the same time to pivot downsmash. It's hard to do and takes lots of practice. I'd be lying if I said I was consistent enough to do it in actual games, but I'm working on it. You can also use it to dash forwards and fsmash forwards without waiting to go into run.
you actually dont have a one frame window in PM. if you tilt the control stick backwards just right during a DD you just do an empty pivot. its much different than melee where pivots were very frame tight to execute, and anything outside of pivot grabs, jumps, and fsmashes was pretty much impossible (or at least very difficult) to do practically. in PM pivot dsmash and dtilts are actually pretty easy.

Top Bottom