• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Omega vs Battlefield stage

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
So, I've noticed that most people online hate omega stages but love the Battlefield stages to death, especially the highly competitive crowd. Personally, I prefer playing on Omega stages but enjoy the battlefield as well? What's your take?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I prefer Battlefield stages. Final Destination stages became boring in SSB4, so that might be a reason why most prefer Battlefield stages.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I haven't noticed this attitude. Where are you referring? Like, the preferred rules people set in Quickplay?

I play mostly heavies, and I find it easier to predict opponents on omega stages, so I prefer those myself. But I appreciate the practice on Battlefield for technical reasons.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
As a Little Mac/Ganondorf main, I prefer Omega stages because people can't retreat to platforms. Maybe that's why everyone likes Omega stages; They are a representation of pure skill, not platform spacing.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I haven't noticed this attitude. Where are you referring? Like, the preferred rules people set in Quickplay?

I play mostly heavies, and I find it easier to predict opponents on omega stages, so I prefer those myself. But I appreciate the practice on Battlefield for technical reasons.
Several things added up to bring me to this conclusion though i shouldn't have stated it as fact in the OP quite yet... honestly i made this to really see if this is true or not.

used the voice chat to talk to some groups in arenas... though admittedly my data only consists of very few arenas that only had about 1-3 people in voice chat.

Now the preferred rules that i seem to run into also influenced my view which include battlefield stages more often than anything else with barely any omega stages unless i set it .

Also a few years back i played with quite a few ppl irl that hated omega stages in smash 4 but at the time just thought it was that group of people.

Now, a little while back did come across a forum that talked about how the competitive don't use omega stages and highly prefer the battlefield format, but im not in competitive smash so... im asking here.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
There's definitely more tech possible on battlefield stages because of the additional landing options and potential for walk-off attacks.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As a Little Mac/Ganondorf main, I prefer Omega stages because people can't retreat to platforms. Maybe that's why everyone likes Omega stages; They are a representation of pure skill, not platform spacing.
Is platform spacing not a skill?

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Is platform spacing not a skill?
Gamer Cube might not think so, but a flat surface doesn't necessarily mean more skill or pure skill. You'd be amazed as to what you can do with platforms in terms of evasiveness, even if you aren't a projectile character.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Gamer Cube might not think so, but a flat surface doesn't necessarily mean more skill or pure skill. You'd be amazed as to what you can do with platforms in terms of evasiveness, even if you aren't a projectile character.
I know. i was asking the question to promote him thinking about that.

Gamer Cube

Smash Apprentice
I know. i was asking the question to promote him thinking about that.
I understand that the ability to use platforms as a tool is a skill, but I have been cheated out of some of the cleanest combos in the history of Smash Bros. because they where caught by one of the platforms. Also, one of my friends mains spacing characters like Ness and Young Link, and platforms increase the annoyingness of his spacing tenfold. It's basically Pauline with weapons.

I do acknowledge that battlefield stages are necessary for some characters and if you can't deal with someone that can space on platforms, then you aren't truly good. That being said, thanks for bringing that reason up.

I still like Omega stages, though. Bowser Jr. is too good on it.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I like Battlefield and Omega stages, but I would actually appreciate if the game had different kind of battlefield stages. Something like Battlefield 1 having the default 3 plataforms layout, Battlefield 2 having only two plataforms, without the one in the center, Battlefield 3 having only two plataforms too, but not really above the ground, but more away from each other, being more to the sides of the stage. This would actually be super simple to do and would provide a lot of stages with the same size, but with different layouts of the plataforms. I want that because sometimes I have a feeling that the default Battlefield layout has too much plataforms near each other, and I dont want to remove all plataforms, just have more options.

Last edited:

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I like Battlefield and Omega stages, but I would actually appreciate if the game had different kind of battlefield stages. Something like Battlefield 1 having the default 3 plataforms layout, Battlefield 2 having only two plataforms, without the one in the center, Battlefield 3 having only two plataforms too, but not really above the ground, but more away from each other,
You're describing all of the tournament legal stages. They're basically uniform platforms with varying soft platform layouts.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
You're describing all of the tournament legal stages. They're basically uniform platforms with varying soft platform layouts.
sure.. i just think it would be nice to have the options to change the plataforms in all stages to these layouts. It's such an easy thing to do and that would generate some hundreds of "tournament legal" stages, as you say.

Last edited:
Top Bottom