• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimars recovery

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
can we have a discussion on how to live with that recovery? I do so well with neutral and punishing but once I use my double jump or need to use that up b to recover, I'm as good as dead. It can't sweet spot and has one angle and doesn't have real knock back. Thoughts, comments, wish lists?

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
God his new recovery is one of the reasons why I don't play him in the latest Version...

Pikmin chain was honestly alot better.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
God his new recovery is one of the reasons why I don't play him in the latest Version...

No.

It's Pikmin reliant, meaning that getting knocked off stage anytime you have 2 or less Pikmin means you're dead.

It was buggy and sometimes straight out didn't work.

Also only two chances to recover. What's that? They grabbed ledge, forcing laggy get up and hit you off? Twice? You're dead and this isn't hard to do

People keep bringing up that Chain was better and never saying why. Our new Up-B is pretty bad, but it's consistent and can be used more then two times. Chain supposedly giving you a chance if your opponent regrabs ledge for invincibility doesn't happen if your opponent punishes the forced get up and kills you anyway, just later (don't bring up possible screw ups from your opponent as a reason for it being good, if a recovery (with one mixup) requires a bad opponent to be good...well, the flaw in that logic is pretty apparent).

If you were at a level of play where grabbing ledge isn't common (usually low to mid), then yeah, Chain will seem better, but it really isn't.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice

I disagree. Chain against a player who knows how it works, can kill Olimar nearly every time he goes off stage. A simple tap would kill him off stage. His current one is slightly better imo because he isn't gimped as easily. Though it is really predictable and loses to almost all attacks that challenge it, it's still better than the the chain.

What Olimar needs is a recovery mixup. Give him his chain as his Zair and we could have a chance at getting back.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I disagree. Chain against a player who knows how it works, can kill Olimar nearly every time he goes off stage. A simple tap would kill him off stage. His current one is slightly better imo because he isn't gimped as easily. Though it is really predictable and loses to almost all attacks that challenge it, it's still better than the the chain.

What Olimar needs is a recovery mixup. Give him his chain as his Zair and we could have a chance at getting back.
How about more angles?
Make it faster?
Make it actually a threatening kill move?
Making it able to be used into the opposite direction outside of a b reverse (why is it that every character can do this but him?)
make it have less lag on landing on stage?
Easier to sweet spot the ledge?

Anyone one of these buffs would be nice.

The distance is not the problem, its how predictable it is.

GrizzleDrizz1ed

Smash Apprentice
How about more angles?
Make it faster?
Make it actually a threatening kill move?
Making it able to be used into the opposite direction outside of a b reverse (why is it that every character can do this but him?)
make it have less lag on landing on stage?
Easier to sweet spot the ledge?

Anyone one of these buffs would be nice.

The distance is not the problem, its how predictable it is.
I do think that there should be adjustments to the jetpack recovery. Virtually every aspect of the move is bad and it needs multiple adjustments to make it viable, but I still want the tether attached to the Z-air. I think his recovery options need to be well balanced but diverse. He likely can't have a great jetpack recovery and a tether, but his jetpack is so bad now that I don't know much of a buff it needs to make it good enough. I think if he had more angles, like straight up to straight to the side, that would be good. Not make it lose to everything when challenged, faster startup, and a less landing lag, it would be decently good. Then give him his Z-Air tether.

I made a post on the boards called community changes to Olimar, or something like that.

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Because it has an acceleration property, it can sometimes be a good idea to gain velocity in an unpredictable direction, then quickly dart to the stage once you've hit top speed. It is a similar concept to Ness/Lucas changing up the way they use PKT2, to mitigate their awfully predictable recovery.

Major_League_Odish

Smash Rookie
The old one allowed for better edge-guarding, you could jump off and snap quickly to the ledge to re-position yourself need be. The new one, while it still is predictable, has a couple angles but is really hard to sweet-spot. the grab box is pretty small and it doesn't come out until later in the animation so it's really easy for you to get clipped by moves that don't even go under ledge. Just making the grab box come out earlier so we can ram our heads into the wall more would make it a really good move imo.

TheScarfyDoctor

Smash Rookie

Chain was so much better, I liked the tether. Even though it wiffed. But it wasn't that bad, you just learned when it would hit and then you got consistent with his recovery. I want a zair tether in the next patch, one that can be the same consistent length.

TheScarfyDoctor

Smash Rookie
The old one allowed for better edge-guarding, you could jump off and snap quickly to the ledge to re-position yourself need be. The new one, while it still is predictable, has a couple angles but is really hard to sweet-spot. the grab box is pretty small and it doesn't come out until later in the animation so it's really easy for you to get clipped by moves that don't even go under ledge. Just making the grab box come out earlier so we can ram our heads into the wall more would make it a really good move imo.
Yeah, a good fix of the grab box would be great. Making it faster, easier to angle, and maybe like an easier to use hitbox on him, and it would be a solid recovery. I still want a zair tether. Also, I think it would be cool to have a better exhaust hitbox so we could drop off ledge and catch with the back of the jetpack for an edgegaurd.

tasteless gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, a good fix of the grab box would be great. Making it faster, easier to angle, and maybe like an easier to use hitbox on him, and it would be a solid recovery. I still want a zair tether. Also, I think it would be cool to have a better exhaust hitbox so we could drop off ledge and catch with the back of the jetpack for an edgegaurd.
I Dont think this recovery has "angles" i think you just kinda control it with your air mobility and B reverse it... Either way on some stages its really easier to get twisted up and stuck under the stage because of the fixed 45 degree angle.

TheScarfyDoctor

Smash Rookie
Agreed, I mean, it wouldn't be bad if it sweetspotted easier, but until then, we will get edgegaurded like no other. Hey, it forces me to recover safely as I possibly can now, so I have gotten good at being really careful recovering regardless of my character.

Top Bottom