• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's new grab

Blobulle

Smash Rookie
I was intrigued by Olimar's new grab:

He's using all his pikmins during the throw (rather than 1 in the previous games). I feel like the more pikmins involved, the stronger the throw. So maybe the color of the pikmins won't matter anymore for throws.

Do you think that's correct? If so, is it a good thing for olimar?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
The color difference in throw strength may be gone this time around. (Much to my dismay.) However the way the grab looked I don't feel like it's power would be based on Pikmin amount. I don't believe they have a system in place to decide how many Pikmin are grabbing so without specific placement of Pikmin I think it will use all the ones in your line. Also that'd mean that 3 together would hit super hard so I don't think it'll be power scaled to the number of Pikmin. This is the biggest change I'm worried about since Olimar's grab has always been a focal point of his design. In Smash 4 it had a ton of depth in how you could use it between the different colors KB variations. Regardless I hope they find a way to maintain his flexibility with the move.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I haven't seen any other footage, but my hopes are that it's additive (I'm not sure that's the word I'm looking for?). What I mean is that I'm hoping the different types of Pikmin combine their strengths for grabs/throws. For example, the more Blue Pikmin there are in your squad, the futher your throws will launch opponents, the more White Pikmin you've got, the further the grab range becomes, and the more Purple Pikmin you have, the more damaging throws become.

I don't really know what the Yellow and Red Pikmin could add? I guess the Yellow Pikmin can increase the size of the grab's hitbox, and the Red Pikmin could... uh... Lower the distance of throws?

Not sure if I made myself incredibly clear on this.

Last edited:

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
I want to pummel someone with three whites really really badly lol that sounds wrong

dakotaisgreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaSkarner XLR
So would I buddy.
Unfortunately, Olimar's the one doing the pummeling now, so Pikmin types don't affect pummel damage anymore...
Is there any footage of this? Originally I was angry, but that could look really good with the three Pikmin holding down the enemy while Olimar punches them or something.

Also, I suppose that isn't necessarily a nerf if his new pummel is good, at least it's consistent. I can't really be angry about it because I, like pretty much everyone else, know **** all about how Olimar has changed in this game unfortunately.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Is there any footage of this? Originally I was angry, but that could look really good with the three Pikmin holding down the enemy while Olimar punches them or something.
Yup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFHgO8rMzcg
The pummel's also a lot faster than previously, so chances are it'll count as more of a buff? I'll still miss White Pikmin pummels though. One thing I'm wondering is what happens in a case where Olimar himself is flipped (usually with Mario's cape) but the Pikmin still grab the opponent anyways. Will he turn around for the pummel or will all his punches miss?

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
From the tweets I've seen from people playing the game the first Pikmin in the line is the one that affects it's attributes like throw damage or knockback similar to how they are now. I.e. Blue being the best for KB and throws. However distance is seemingly based on how many you have. I haven't seen footage, but supposedly 1 Pikmin will go less distance than 3. Don't know by how much though.

Top Bottom