• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Matchup Thread (Old thread)

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
I've been M.I.A on this thread for a long while. What did I miss?
Don't think you missed much. It's generally Q&A on some MUs for the most part, but not a lot of general discussion on specific MUs like some other character boards do.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Guess it's a good time to ask then. So I made Ludwig my primary and have thought about moving Olimar down to only specific MU's where he has any easier time then Ludwig. How does this fair? Specifically I'm wondering from Mr Moosebones Mr Moosebones .

Mr Moosebones

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Moosebones
The only benefit bjr has over olimar is that he gives you the ability to play with reckless abandon vs heavies. It's not like Olimar loses to DK, Ganon or Bowser, but they have pretty huge comeback potential in the matchups if you can't close out the stocks quick. BJr has insane combos vs heavies and fastfallers and is probably the better choice if you want to play hyper aggressive in those matchups.

It's honestly just a playstyle preference thing. I think Olimar is 10x better as a character than BJr is.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
How does the new patch affect Olimar's matchup spread?
I would think that with the different shield mechanics in 1.1.1, it would be harder to spam smashes and purple side Bs recklessly on shield. Some characters, like Robin, Pikachu, and Ryu, benefit from the new shield mechanics due to the hitlag modifiers inducing a lot of shieldstun, making sitting in shield riskier. It's more dangerous for a character who tends to stay around the area he controls and tends to use defensive options often.

Though, I really don't know. I haven't played enough of 1.1.1 to notice anything that might affect Olimar's matchups, so I might just be saying theoretical fluff.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Can you guys please give me advices for the pikachu mu? I'm struggling hard against this char. He can do the rushdown, punish my landings easily, can fsmash without getting punished, i cant do anything if he fairs my shield and lands, it's just super hard.
Im thankful for everything you can give.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Can you guys please give me advices for the pikachu mu? I'm struggling hard against this char. He can do the rushdown, punish my landings easily, can fsmash without getting punished, i cant do anything if he fairs my shield and lands, it's just super hard.
Im thankful for everything you can give.
- Don't stay in shield too much; with how the shield works right now, it's hard to punish Pika if it hits your shield because of the large amount of hitlag. Instead, you need to be constantly on the move and use retreating pivot grabs and pivot Fsmash as he approaches you.
- Thunder Jolts are stuffed by Pikmin.
- Be careful with Quick Attack crossups. Try to note any habits that the opponent is doing with QA and capitalize on them.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
How do we do against post-patch luigi?
I haven't played the matchup in 1.1.2 enough yet, but I'd imagine the scope of the matchup hasn't changed: Don't let him close in on you. He may not have a simple combo that easily closes out stocks anymore, but his attacks are still fast, his dash grab needs to be respected, and he is still good at churning combos off of Dthrow.

EDIT: I'd say that this post by Myran Myran a few months back is still applicable on treating the matchup.

Last edited:

tiamatis

Smash Rookie
So I am currently having alot of trouble with the captain falcon matchup. Its so hard to land vs him and he can easily even the space out, and i just feel like olimar is too slow to deal with his constant barrage of attacks in neutral. I find myself getting so much dmg racked up on me after 1 grab maybe its cuz i DI bad but this falcon i play consistently gets knees and dairs on stage on me.. and on top of things I have no idea how to deal with his auto canceled back airs...i mean i try pivot grabbing but he just waits in the air long baits it out and then hits me when i use it. Even then when i use pivot grab he waits for me to use it then goes on to punish my blank pivot grabs too... i just feel like this matchup is too much in falcons favor and its hella hard to land back safely :(

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Myran Myran can you give some insight on how to deal with Pikachu? I don't have problems with getting the kill, upthrow and upair kill him pretty early, but getting him to kill percent is a pain. I want to outcamp and keep him away but he is so fast and can rush me down. It's so hard to land for me, because he just upsmashes me even if i nair into the ground. Quick attack and his aerials in general are like unpunishable for me if i shield them because Olimars oos options arent that great. Perfect shield also doesnt work because fair and bair are multihits.

Pls help, this mu is what kicked me into losers Last weekend.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
So I am currently having alot of trouble with the captain falcon matchup. Its so hard to land vs him and he can easily even the space out, and i just feel like olimar is too slow to deal with his constant barrage of attacks in neutral. I find myself getting so much dmg racked up on me after 1 grab maybe its cuz i DI bad but this falcon i play consistently gets knees and dairs on stage on me.. and on top of things I have no idea how to deal with his auto canceled back airs...i mean i try pivot grabbing but he just waits in the air long baits it out and then hits me when i use it. Even then when i use pivot grab he waits for me to use it then goes on to punish my blank pivot grabs too... i just feel like this matchup is too much in falcons favor and its hella hard to land back safely :(
It sounds to me like you're trying a lot of pivot grabs in neutral. The Falcon player probably caught on to what you're trying to do and punished you due to the endlag. That's why it's better to stop trying to pivot grab him in neutral and just wait for him to commit to an approach. Considering it's Falcon, it's hard to do that, but at the very least it should make you a little less vulnerable to punishes.
Myran Myran can you give some insight on how to deal with Pikachu? I don't have problems with getting the kill, upthrow and upair kill him pretty early, but getting him to kill percent is a pain. I want to outcamp and keep him away but he is so fast and can rush me down. It's so hard to land for me, because he just upsmashes me even if i nair into the ground. Quick attack and his aerials in general are like unpunishable for me if i shield them because Olimars oos options arent that great. Perfect shield also doesnt work because fair and bair are multihits.

For getting to the ground, did you try using whistle? I think Pika's Usmash is slow enough that you may be able to armor through it if you time it right.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

For getting to the ground, did you try using whistle? I think Pika's Usmash is slow enough that you may be able to armor through it if you time it right.
Boomuki Boomuki
You can also hold your landing with Up B, change direction suddenly and fast fall. A well timed B-reversal will avoid some punishes too.
If there is too much pressure on landing and you can't handle it, go to the ledges.
Whistle, as Blue Banana Blue Banana said, is a great option too if you can be precise.

I think instead of looking what you can do, pay attention to how Pikachu is waiting for you.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
So against a good Mario... does it go as low as 30/70? The nair that interrupts combos, the reflector cape, the invincible smashes, the ability to get an instant spike/stock if Olimar is caught in a bad recovery spot, the ease at which he can throw out moves that clank with pikmin, and the ability to rushdown, etc.

I think this has to be one of our three worst match ups, right? Maybe the worst?

Last edited:

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I main mario
:4mario:55:45:4olimar: olimar whole poking throw and run thing won't work cause of caoe. He has nair and up b to break out down throw combos. He can combo olimar decently. And he's better at killing. However olimar outranges mario with pikmin.
I know I explained the basics but that's all I know it's not like :4mario:vs:4sonic: where I main both and play players on both sides.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
I main mario
:4mario:55:45:4olimar: olimar whole poking throw and run thing won't work cause of caoe. He has nair and up b to break out down throw combos. He can combo olimar decently. And he's better at killing. However olimar outranges mario with pikmin.
I know I explained the basics but that's all I know it's not like :4mario:vs:4sonic: where I main both and play players on both sides.
A great example would be Ally's mario who destroys olimar. Your frame data is amazing and your everything normally beats our everything (pikmin attacks are projectile priority and lose all the time) and a cape with the chance to kill us hella early if we smash attk with a purple (spamming smash attacks in normal non reflector matchups which is olimar's normal game is unsafe to begin with the cape in the first place). Yes, Olimar may have "okay" landing tools (Up B,whistle/saving jumps,B reversing mixups), but that is made quite difficult with mario's speed as well as invincible, spammable upsmash and fast aerials to even land to begin with. 60/40 Mario's favor is a more reasonable ratio imo.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Ally with mario destroys olimar. Your frame data is amazing and your everything normally beats our everything (pikmin attacks are projectile priority and lose all the time) and a cape with the chance to kill us hella early if we smash attk with a purple (cant even spam smash attacks safely to begin with the cape in the first place). Olimar has many landing tools however mario's speed as well as invincible, spammable upsmash and fast aerials makes its quite difficult to even land to begin with. 60/40 Mario's favor is a more reasonable ratio imo.
Yeah, nair beats out all smash attacks. The range on Mario's upsmash and dsmash are killer for Olimar also because of how hard they are to punish. The only thing that really outranges Mario is fsmash, but our sweetspot is up close. And if we try to do an up close fsmash, cape can OHKO us.

@-The Gucci Fairy- , did you say Olimar has many landing tools? That I disagree with.

Last edited:

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Yeah, nair beats out all smash attacks. The range on Mario's upsmash and dsmash are killer for Olimar also because of how hard they are to punish. The only thing that really outranges Mario is fsmash, but our sweetspot is up close. And if we try to do an up close fsmash, cape can OHKO us.

@-The Gucci Fairy- , did you say Olimar has many landing tools? That I disagree with.
ur right. I lied he doesnt, only a few.... I was just dreaming that he did. I cry.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I wanna play vs Ally's Mario in person quite badly. I'm very experienced in the MU, and I'm confident in my ability to beat him. That being said I still think the MU sucks lol.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
ur right. I lied he doesnt, only a few.... I was just dreaming that he did. I cry.
:(

Didn't mean to make you cry.

I guess landing wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for being 51st in air speed. Poor Olimar just slowly floats back to the stage with barely any horizontal mobility.

Thinktron

Smash Apprentice
what about Dr mario, how do you lot think he does against him?

I'm aware this has been brought up before but it was brief.

I personally think olimar wins since doc is to slow and cape is not as effective due to his lack of speed
not to mention his forward smash is simply outclasses as well, same with recovery and grabs.

Yes olimar dies early if his forward smash is reflected, but thats more the fought of the Olimar making poor choices

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
what about Dr mario, how do you lot think he does against him?

I'm aware this has been brought up before but it was brief.

I personally think olimar wins since doc is to slow and cape is not as effective due to his lack of speed
not to mention his forward smash is simply outclasses as well, same with recovery and grabs.

Yes olimar dies early if his forward smash is reflected, but thats more the fought of the Olimar making poor choices
Doc may be slower and therefore easier to play keepaway than Mario, but the slight power boost and differences in some of his attacks (like UpB) mean that he can punish you more per hit than Mario if you mess up. In my opinion, the doctor matchup is a little easier than the plumber matchup, but it's still a matchup that requires some work to win.

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
Myran Myran did you play against any noticable pikachu players? What do you think about the mu? I cant get it down because the pikachu can rush me down easily. I just cant punish anything that hits my shield...

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Myran Myran did you play against any noticable pikachu players? What do you think about the mu? I cant get it down because the pikachu can rush me down easily. I just cant punish anything that hits my shield...
In general the optimal line up consists of at least a purple and a yellow. The yellow when you throw it either onto the thunder jolt projectile or onto pikachu himself to neutralize it from coming out in the first place, while the purple timing, for obvious reasons, pushing pikachu back. (Any pikmin can stuff his thunder jolts and just throwoing them out is actually useful to prevent him from thunderjolt camping and running away with quick attack.)

In this matchup powersheidling needs to be on point. If not shielding in general is the safest option vs his quick attack but watch what he likes to mix up with afterwards and where he chooses to land alot when he uses quick attack. Much of this matchup is having dmg from the pikmin side B, when pikachu decides to kill the pikmin on him that is your opportunity to hit him, walling him out, and punishing his landings.
This is a given in most combo strings on characters by DI"ing up and away is optimal. Pikmin side B latched onto pikachu hella lags his fair and backair too. Jumping out of combos(mixing up with air dodge of course dont be too obvious), drifting away from potential followups, whistling his single hit move are also highly recommended.
Be smart when he edgeguards you as pikachu has one of the best edgeguarding options and tools in the game aside from sheik.

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Quick attack is beaten by moves with long-lasting hitboxes. Although its hitbox is only 6 frames, I find that dtilt is good for stuffing a Pikachu that likes to QA into you on the ground if you can predict it. Nair is best for the air.

I always try to have a pikmin on Pikachu. In addition to what Gucci Fairy mentioned with how they stuff thunder jolt, stuck pikmin have a weird interaction with QA, which causes Pikachu to slide further on the ground, messing up his spacing and allowing for a punish.

Overall, I think we can outcamp him, but if you're jumping and tossing to get over thunderjolts, try to get back to the ground ASAP. His rushdown game is good, but if you can shut down QA and make him tentative about using it, he loses an important option. Then it's about respecting the rushdown and jabbing/purple tossing to get him off you.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
On top of what the two above me said I'd recommend also trying to read his quick attack patterns to get preemptive punishes. Especially on stages like BF where Pikachu players like to platform cancel the QA. Standard walling strats with well spaced pivot grabs and smashes should be able to catch him, and make sure those shields are on point.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Has any development been made in the Toon Link match up? It's just such a tedious yet stressful war of attrition the way I play it. And despite having kill power, I struggle to actually close out the stock when TL is at kill percent. So we just keep wracking up damage on each other until I get a read or he gets a bomb confirm.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Has any development been made in the Toon Link match up? It's just such a tedious yet stressful war of attrition the way I play it. And despite having kill power, I struggle to actually close out the stock when TL is at kill percent. So we just keep wracking up damage on each other until I get a read or he gets a bomb confirm.
I have like 3 dedicated toon links in the houston area (2 former PR with tl with pre pre patch diddy), and they vary from playing really aggressive, to trying to outcamp me. It sounds like you deal with the latter and in that sense its easier to deal with rather than aggressive use of boomerang and bomb placement into aerials, nair and zair for shield pressure etc etc. Regardless what I focus at kill percent is having a purple/red/blue lineup. You have side B that beats all his projectiles, purple. The blue for the run past him pivot grab. And the red for well the smash attack.

Mixing up the usage of fsmash and not being afraid to be aggressive as well as sprinkling in some down smash really helps.

If it wasnt already obvious , once you can perfect power shielding this matchup becomes so much less stressful and throwing pikmin from side b/smash attack just stuff his projectiles altogether. Im quite sure he doesnt have confirmed followups from his dthrow last time i checked so shielding is good vs him for quite a long time. Personally a nice little mental note I have is that his kill throw only kills early if its at the edge, so I try to maintain center stage especially when trying to survive the kill throw since I personally as olimar shield alot in this matchup regardless. (No rage at center stage his back throw kills at 180%) (His grabby is pretty ****ty regardless lol)

Besides having the line up purple/red/blue at kill percents, I honestly believe overall the best lineup would be 2 purples and something else, since they beat out and contiue past his projectiles. The only way he can really approach at this point is bombs so you can use the purples to force him to make mistakes etc. I also like to keep the white pikmin for the longer range pivot grab to mixup besides just throwing it out.

When you have pikmin latched onto toon link idk exactly how it works but apparently when he throws the bomb instead of being thrown out , it just hits the pikmin. Either someone can clarify that or Id have to look more into it. Also watching how they react to the latched pikmin and finding openings as they try to kill them is good but im sure u already knew that part

Last edited:

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
I have like 3 dedicated toon links in the houston area (2 former PR with tl with pre pre patch diddy), and they vary from playing really aggressive, to trying to outcamp me. It sounds like you deal with the latter and in that sense its easier to deal with rather than aggressive use of boomerang and bomb placement into aerials, nair and zair for shield pressure etc etc. Regardless what I focus at kill percent is having a purple/red/blue lineup. You have side B that beats all his projectiles, purple. The blue for the run past him pivot grab. And the red for well the smash attack.

Mixing up the usage of fsmash and not being afraid to be aggressive as well as sprinkling in some down smash really helps.

If it wasnt already obvious , once you can perfect power shielding this matchup becomes so much less stressful and throwing pikmin from side b/smash attack just stuff his projectiles altogether. Im quite sure he doesnt have confirmed followups from his dthrow last time i checked so shielding is good vs him for quite a long time. Personally a nice little mental note I have is that his kill throw only kills early if its at the edge, so I try to maintain center stage especially when trying to survive the kill throw since I personally as olimar shield alot in this matchup regardless. (No rage at center stage his back throw kills at 180%) (His grabby is pretty ****ty regardless lol)

Besides having the line up purple/red/blue at kill percents, I honestly believe overall the best lineup would be 2 purples and something else, since they beat out and contiue past his projectiles. The only way he can really approach at this point is bombs so you can use the purples to force him to make mistakes etc. I also like to keep the white pikmin for the longer range pivot grab to mixup besides just throwing it out.

When you have pikmin latched onto toon link idk exactly how it works but apparently when he throws the bomb instead of being thrown out , it just hits the pikmin. Either someone can clarify that or Id have to look more into it. Also watching how they react to the latched pikmin and finding openings as they try to kill them is good but im sure u already knew that part
Cool. Thanks for the line up advice. I'll definitely try to work more with purples. And yeah, I was definitely dealing with a campy TL. It felt like he would win that because I would have to "reset" after 3 projectiles (either with whistle or more plucking) while he could keep throwing stuff.

I was trying to power shield mostly without shielding too much because of his bthrow. I didn't realize it was that weak at center stage either. I also remember he kept killing Pikmin with up smash which has almost no lag.

I did win some matches but I'm hoping there's an easier way to take him on that isn't just attrition.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
When you have pikmin latched onto toon link idk exactly how it works but apparently when he throws the bomb instead of being thrown out , it just hits the pikmin.
The pikmin would have to be attached to TL in a position that the bomb instantly explodes because it hits the pikmin when thrown. It's probably the same reason why a red absorbs the fireball when attached to Mario's side or why a yellow eats a Thunder Jolt when it's on Pikachu's face.

-The Gucci Fairy-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Risingthunder55
Hi, I got the go-ahead to make a new matchup thread to make matchup discussions more focused and organized. Please check it out!
after sheik/zss we should work on falcon, mario and fox next as they are the most common and are probably worse matchups in their favor vs olimar imo (sheik questionably but ya know what i mean)

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
after sheik/zss we should work on falcon, mario and fox next as they are the most common and are probably worse matchups in their favor vs olimar imo (sheik questionably but ya know what i mean)
Coincidentally, those three are in the next two discussion sets after Shiek/ZSS!

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
How do you guys feel about Yoshi and Olimar? As a DK main I'm trying to find an answer for Yoshi. Thanks.
The general consensus is that we have a disadvantage against Yoshi in the matchup and we need to be very careful with spacing and timing against him. It was discussed in the new matchup thread towards the bottom of the first page if you want to read specifics. I'm actually not sure if this thread is still supposed to be open, so if you have more matchup questions, you may want to look there first or ask in the Q&A thread.

Thanks and good luck!

Top Bottom