• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar's Match-ups in the 2.0 Match-up Chart

Capt. Olimar

Smash Cadet
:olimar:
-2: :popo:
-1: :falco: :marth: :metaknight:
0: :diddy: :ness2: :peach: :pit: :wario: :wolf: :yoshi2:
1: :fox: :gw: :lucario: :luigi2: :mario2: :pt: :sheik: :sheilda: :snake: :toonlink: :zerosuitsamus:
2: :bowser2: :dedede: :ike: :kirby2: :lucas: :pikachu2: :rob: :sonic:
3: :dk2: :falcon: :jigglypuff: :link2: :samus2:
4: :ganondorf: :zelda:
The only one I strongly disagree with is Bowser, but that's insignificant because nobody really plays Bowser. ^^;

I don't have enough experience with Falco to understand his drop from -2 to -1 or with ICs to understand the rise, but it'd be nice if someone would explain those two.
I'd also like to hear a bit about the DK discussion.

Thoughts?

janne_837

Smash Cadet
I do not see why Ice Climbers are more bad than Falco for us.. Also I would consider Robot +1 but thats only my opinion.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Welp... I'm a bit salty about forgetting to argue stuff. Some people are ignorant and ******** though

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
ICs are a -2 because they shut down most of olimar's options with ease and force olimar to play in a risky position the whole game. In order to land hits olimar has to take huge risks that are very much in the favor of ICs.

I can't speak for Falco because IDK the MU too well.

DK is extremely easy for olimar to body. Olimar gives absurd damage with pikmin toss spam, DK is too easy to punish, and he is one of the easiest characters in the game to juggle. DK pretty much has nothing on olimar in comparison.

Ness is even IMO.

Yoshi is actually +1 for oli imo =x

zyth

Smash Lord
i honestly think the wolf and wario should -1....as for IC and falco its pretty understandable since:
IC blizzard wall approach, d-tilt has the worst angle possible for Oli.
Falco easy laser harass cuz Olis helet, reflect pikmin, good gimpimg capability

Dnyce

Smash Master
no way are we even with diddy, and how in the world do we beat snake?
*remembers you live near gnes and ultimate toddler*

o.... @.@

Yeah, I can't really explain that one other than.... play any other diddy / snake in the nation and you realize those just excel at the match-up far beyond other diddy/snakes. During my activity I tried to keep discussion as objective as possible - on paper I feel those numbers were pretty accurate. Another factor we tried to use was relative placement, due to the sheer amount of characters in brawl it expedited our work. By relative placement I mean... we (the panel for olimar) felt we beat Snake (or at least on paper). We don't quite beat Snake as much as Pikachu or DDD, which were solid +2s in our mind; however, he doesn't quite give us as much trouble as Peach or Yoshi, which we established were even pretty early.
It was kinda hard, and the numbers listed aren't all what we wanted exactly since we had to debate over differences with the other character panels. At some point between discussing Mario, Metaknight and Falco I gave up due to the adamant stupidity of some of the BBR members d=
Yeah Wolf is pretty much a -1 I have more trouble against him than Falco
Genius! Your logic is infallible.

Sync.

Smash Champion
Diddy Olimar is even. Snake is +1 for us. He CAN'T approach if you know what to do. Pikmin toss+fsmash+pivot grab DONE. And we out camp him. Just stay mid range.

Damittom

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4742-5811-9326
Genius! Your logic is infallible.
Thanks for the troll =P

On a side note I should probably have put some sort of reasoning

Wolf
Annoying Lasers
Reflector
Good Throws
etc.
Mediocre Match-Up Experience

Falco
Lasers
Reflector
Chain Grab
etc.
Everyone has practiced and broken down this match-up

Therefore Wolf 's Perks along with a significantly less amount of match-up knowledge and far less Match-up deconstructs Gives Wolf an advantage over Olimar

Dnyce

Smash Master
I respect that you're honest enough to admit that you have mediocre match-up experience vs wolf... but I failed to see the 'reasoning' portion of your post. I'm glad you've broken down the Falco match-up though; however, I'm a bit concerned that, despite breaking down the match-up, you feel Falco's best perks are lasers, reflector and guaranteed 40ish whatever percent.

You do have a button mapped to shield, right?

EDIT: if you don't, I highly suggest doing so soon! That alone should solve all your wolf problems.

SirDarkened

Smash Rookie
I've been playing olimar since September against my friends (who are nowhere near as good as 90% of the people here) and I seem to fail on the link matchup.

Would you kindly explain why +3 instead of +2? I seem to have a hard time but I think it's mostly my fault because of spacing/bad rolls.

I know link has bad recovery but I don't see it punishable as I try to edge guard only to get whacked by the end of the sword and die with my opponent...

Dnyce

Smash Master
I've been playing olimar since September against my friends (who are nowhere near as good as 90% of the people here) and I seem to fail on the link matchup.

Would you kindly explain why +3 instead of +2? I seem to have a hard time but I think it's mostly my fault because of spacing/bad rolls.

I know link has bad recovery but I don't see it punishable as I try to edge guard only to get whacked by the end of the sword and die with my opponent...
Ummm, use your pikmin toss to block his projectiles and rack damage (you can throw pikmin faster than he can throw bombs/bomerangs/arrows). When he gets close try to knock him away with like pivot grab or fsmash. Don't worry too much about trying to edgehog him, just throw fsmashes over the edge if he makes it near the ledge and he'll have a lot of trouble making it back on stage.

zyth

Smash Lord
the wolf MU is bad since almost all his options knock off pikmin and helps him pressure oli at the same time. laser knocks pikmin of aand is a good spacing tool. spaced bair keeps him out of our grab and usmash range. his smashes knock pikmin off like flies. his dthrow is at a bad angle for oli in general so try not to get grabbed with him facing the ledge

Citrus!

Smash Rookie
wolf's so easy to combo and throw around, once yougrab him you can really do whatever you want. He can't really kill you unless he uses dsmash or bairs you when you're in the air at high % and you can just whistle that. he has reflector but can't use the laser at the same time, and olimars fsmash makes it hard for him to approach.

If he grabs you you're in for trouble

Top Bottom