• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Video Thread!(?)

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Just got an Elgato and wanted to see what people think of my Olimar, I am a bit rusty; it's been a while since I played him but I really want to get back into the groove!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw2XV84SbMc&feature=youtu.be
So many bad words xD... but any way. Just keep playing and try to move more. Practice the perfect pivot/smash and use more Side B.
Try to use our best combo: grab + dthrow + fair.
You will be fine in a while :).

Here's the set of me vs 8bitman from Nick Riddle's tournament yesterday. I hadn't beaten 8bitman in a few months so it felt good to be able to do it again. http://www.twitch.tv/vsgc/v/29606782?t=07h14m15s
Very well, a lot of improvement here! Congrats! I already notice you practically master the perfect shield approach, excellent.
A lot of pressure, good micro management and spacing. Totally ruined his gyro game.
Congratulation buddy, good work :).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last friday I ran a tournament at my house, a tiny amount of people attended (so sad :() but it counted to the ranking anyways.
Here is the Twitch http://www.twitch.tv/koken0/v/29400191 and Bracket http://challonge.com/es/lqnambp8 .
Honestly I couldn't practice at all and I felt a little rusty .. but I will try to improve my game.

00:57:30 Me vs K-male0n
01:27:30 Me vs (team mate) Fernafro WF
02:00:00 Me vs K-male0n GF Set 1 y 2

If you guys can watch the twitch and give me your inputs, please help me with that. Thank you.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Hey everyone, I got some videos of me from a local that happened this past weekend. It's nothing fancy, but you may learn a thing or two from it.

Some doubles games with my static teammate KidG- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgGKw8uvNN4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxdx2dABJrk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRv4po5ajdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USJM8VP9obE I got mostly Greninja for this as me and KidG like to do Greninja Falco, but game 5 has me as Olimar.

Singles- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub8btu9tDfs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPYPUnT5q6g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhnrbIFxVI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3wq0Nhi82k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp3XryE67Tc

tiamatis

Smash Rookie
Hi so, i played at a weekly recently and was bodied by this ryu...idk the matchup and basically all this ryu was doing was aerial approaches...yes i tried the generic pivot grab his landing and farmed purples but i still felt like i had nothing to to push him away and i kept on getting cornered and he easily broke into my wall...consequently getting 2 stocked twice on stream..If anyone would like to give some critique or have any advice they would give me for the matchup no idea what to do... (besides not to panic roll) it would be appreciated...worst I've ever done in tournament.. http://www.twitch.tv/smashunited/v/31517104 (02:18:18 to 02:29:00)

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Help me help this guy? I don't exactly play Olimar, but a good buddy of mine who does has been pretty pessimistic about Mar lately, and I wanna surprise him by giving him a few pointers on what he could improve on to hopefully improve his situation.

Gohan:4olimar: vs DWN.658:4megaman: (a.k.a me): http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=01h16m17s (Only this set, as he used Pit and Pikachu in the other two)

Gohan:4olimar: vs Isaiah:4shulk:: http://www.twitch.tv/sakgamingtv/v/36861531?t=36m13s

As evident in his commentary in a later match, he also says he reaaaallly hates fighting Mega Man and got quite annoyed with his match against me and some other Mega Man my region has. He also thinks Olimar loses the matchup, which I don't quite agree with (do any of you object?) and I thought he was just playing the MU wrongly since we both made some obvious mistakes. I'd love to help him but since I don't practice Olimar I can't really tell him what Olimar-specific stuff he was doing wrong or what he should've done instead, and so I come here to ask for a little help from the people who do. At least this way, he could possibly beat both me and that other Mega Man next time he has to play him, possibly even me as well. Plus, my region needs more Olimars :p

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I can't really comment on the matchup in general (our only Mega Man player goes Falcon against me now), but it feels like he's being wayyyyy too aggressive without being cautious.

He's literally just running into all of your crap when he could be patiently blocking/avoiding your projectiles, tacking on damage with latch, and maybe Fsmashing your landings.I thiiiiiiink Fsmash goes through your lemons. It's been a while, sorry.
I mean... hell, he can grab your Metal Blade and camp and that's one less projectile you have.

Your DownB is kind of... eh (slow to set up, prevents other stuff from coming out when it's up, and has a limited window to fire), your jab is fast but has limited range, and your SideB explodes on wandering pikmin and can easily be shielded. Tell him to work on zoning in general and paying attention to what you're doing.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Your DownB is kind of... eh (slow to set up, prevents other stuff from coming out when it's up, and has a limited window to fire)
This I disagree with, a lot of people think this about our DownB, but it actually does have a lot of uses, its one of our better moves imo. In the simplest turns, Leaf Shield is a high priority projectile that gives us a hitbox during invincibility frames, gimp recoveries (especially those with no hitboxes, like yours or Rosalina's), cover ledge options, jab lock, get grabs, and more. Under normal circumstances, I'd also disagree with catching metal blade being a good plan, Mega Man would want you to do it since it takes away all of your normal attacks and you can't even reliably use it back against him (lemons just let us shoot it out of the air and we can use it once again), but I could maybe see it working for Olimar since Pikmin stop lemons. Thx for pointing everything else out tough, I'll be sure to tell him that the next time I see him.

If anybody could possibly help with Shulk matches too, that'd be great as well, I can understand if y'all are too busy though.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sorry, I should have clarified that I was thinking about it as a camping projectile. I know it has some good uses (I loved seeing Zucco do that Leaf Shield->jump over Z-drop -> land and grab thing he does), but it doesn't seem incredible for a camping war against Olimar.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
A couple of matches from my university weekly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o55ia7u4OpY - :4bayonetta2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKFJDQFTAYQ - :4darkpit:

I wish I had saved the replay for the first match with Dark Pit because it was a close match; the link above is the second match where I made a lot of dumb mistakes.

Any critique is appreciated.
I think you play well against bayonetta, here are tiny things you could work:

• Throw more pikmins.
  • Stay away and throw pikmin till she has some average good damage.
  • She is the one who has to approach, and if she does, call your pikmin so you are not trapped by time witch.
  • Try to walk instead of running against bayonetta, it works a lot for me since I do that.
  • You can intercept her with grab when she does her side b at ground.
  • Sometimes when you were at the ground and she at the platform, you could have jumped with a empty jump in order to know what would she do. Probably she would use witch time, but you will have played mind games with her.
  • Again if you have high damage, don't get close if she has a pikmin latched on. Witch time destroy us.
Against Pit you made more mistakes, here are some things:
  • Throw more pikmins.
  • If Dark Pit is in the air waiting to land, try to cover that area with a pivot smash or a pivot grab. It's a better way to nullify his options.
  • Actually you did it when you were escaping from him, you did Pivot grabs when he was trying to get closer.
  • You NEED to seek that Dair when Pit is recovering. His recovery is ultra safe to punish and very easily. You didn't even edge guard him.
  • If you don't like Dair, then Bair is an excellent choice.
  • That side B is tricky, pay attention when it does end and be alert because it's a reflector.
  • Don't wait that much on shield. Unless you are trying to do a OoS Up Smash... just try to be able to react without shielding.
  • Sometimes you are trying too hard to get closer. Let him do that effort.
Hope it helps :3

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
  • You NEED to seek that Dair when Pit is recovering. His recovery is ultra safe to punish and very easily. You didn't even edge guard him.
  • If you don't like Dair, then Bair is an excellent choice.
I thought it's fairly difficult to punish Pit while he's recovering. UpB has invincibility frames during his ascent, and SideB has super armor. I can punish UpB with Dsmash only if he's hugging the stage walls, and I normally would catch SideB recovery with Dtilt and the 2-frame vulnerability that puts him into a kind of a 50-50 situation with Dair/Uair.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I thought it's fairly difficult to punish Pit while he's recovering. UpB has invincibility frames during his ascent, and SideB has super armor. I can punish UpB with Dsmash only if he's hugging the stage walls, and I normally would catch SideB recovery with Dtilt and the 2-frame vulnerability that puts him into a kind of a 50-50 situation with Dair/Uair.
Maybe I explain myself in a bad way, surely because of my lack of knowledge in english language.

It doesn't matter if Pit has invincibility frames during his ascent on UpB, there is NO risk on trying to gimp him. So is a win - win situation.

According to the Side B issue, it's a visual verification and decision. Pit will never (at least in my opinion) recover with Up B when he can do it with Side B. So it's pretty easily to detect which way he will recover and react according to that.

Also when I said edge guard; is about putting pressure and do your enemy make a mistake, it's like when Sheik waits for you on the edge with a shield. She's not doing anything at all, but she cover almost every option and it's doing pressure and limiting your chances.

By edge guard you can position yourself in a distance where our Fsmash reach the opponent but his get up attack can't touch us. You can do exactly what Sheik does, just get at the edge and shield for the invincibility frames to end. After that you punish with a Dsmash or short hop dair.

By the way, I forgot: I would not recommend to intercept the Side B, just wait or shield if your shield isn't low.

I hope this could have been clarifying, sorry for my mistakes in english.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
According to the Side B issue, it's a visual verification and decision. Pit will never (at least in my opinion) recover with Up B when he can do it with Side B. So it's pretty easily to detect which way he will recover and react according to that.
I never said that it's difficult to tell how Pit is going to recover. I'm trying to say that I think it's fairly hard to try to mess with him offstage when he's recovering with either sideB or upB.

By the way, I forgot: I would not recommend to intercept the Side B, just wait or shield if your shield isn't low.
If you're saying not to intercept while he's recovering, then I don't understand why. Dtilt pops him up into the air which would make him either double jump, airdodge, or attack. If I were to jump towards him and assuming the opponent's not at a very high percent, most people's initial reaction is to airdodge out of anticipation of an aerial, which can be predicted and punish the airdodge with Dair/Bair/etc. I'm basically trying to do this.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I never said that it's difficult to tell how Pit is going to recover. I'm trying to say that I think it's fairly hard to try to mess with him offstage when he's recovering with either sideB or upB.
You should stay at the edge waiting for pit to commit a decision and maybe throw a Pikmin. Either is Up B or Side B, I strongly believe you should not mess with Side B while Pit is recovering. Maybe I'm so defensive but I believe that.

If you're saying not to intercept while he's recovering, then I don't understand why. Dtilt pops him up into the air which would make him either double jump, airdodge, or attack. If I were to jump towards him and assuming the opponent's not at a very high percent, most people's initial reaction is to airdodge out of anticipation of an aerial, which can be predicted and punish the airdodge with Dair/Bair/etc. I'm basically trying to do this.
Why would you try to intercept side B recovery when he has invulnerability and reflector? Seems to me like a bad option because you only can do an Aerial and Olimar's aerials have no priority + coverage.
Pit have more than 2 jumps so double jump doesn't count to him. Airdodge doesn't put him on a bad spot for the same reason, multiples jump and good distance for Up B, but with Up B puts him on a bad spot.
What I do believe is that if he throws an aerial he will be forced to recover with Up B and that's the moment where you seek the gimp.

I understand what are you trying to do, but I thinks it might not be the best option against the way Pit can recover.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
Do you want commentaries about or just sharing the game? :)
Probably should have mentioned that lol.. but ill gladly take any criticism/tips.

I already know I dont do pivot grabs a lot and I need to work on that

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Ok, there are some tiny little things you can improve.
  • Try to keep that white just for side B or grab. Maybe for Fsmash but only for range purpose.
  • Try to avoid using purples for grab. Their range is so short that is almost a loss.
  • You noticed the pivot grabs, but I would recommend you to pivot smash too. I saw you doing it few times, but you could have done plenty damage when Rosalina landed near to you by spamming those things.
  • This is a little thing that works for me and may help you out, don't run all the time, just walk. When Rosalina is bating you to do something with her dash, you can walk and throw a Fsmash when Rosalina is coming back towards you.
  • And here is something I learned yesterday, if your enemy is closer, don't take more than 2 pikmin. It gives you big lag and puts on a bad spot for react.
  • Edit1: I noticed something very interesting. Almost every time you both are with shield next to each other, you roll. Try to change that for a mix of: short hop Bair/Fair or pivot Smash/Grab. It may give you excellent results.
I think you played very well actually. There were some exact situations and points, that broke the winning feeling to finally losing the match.

Last edited:

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
Ok, there are some tiny little things you can improve.
  • Try to keep that white just for side B or grab. Maybe for Fsmash but only for range purpose.
  • Try to avoid using purples for grab. Their range is so short that is almost a loss.
  • You noticed the pivot grabs, but I would recommend you to pivot smash too. I saw you doing it few times, but you could have done plenty damage when Rosalina landed near to you by spamming those things.
  • This is a little thing that works for me and may help you out, don't run all the time, just walk. When Rosalina is bating you to do something with her dash, you can walk and throw a Fsmash when Rosalina is coming back towards you.
  • And here is something I learned yesterday, if your enemy is closer, don't take more than 2 pikmin. It gives you big lag and puts on a bad spot for react.
  • Edit1: I noticed something very interesting. Almost every time you both are with shield next to each other, you roll. Try to change that for a mix of: short hop Bair/Fair or pivot Smash/Grab. It may give you excellent results.
I think you played very well actually. There were some exact situations and points, that broke the winning feeling to finally losing the match.
Yeah I agree with you, I also need to work on my pikmin management. I can keep track if them but I need to learn how to better cycle through them etc.. what pikmins to throw away and what to keep and what not.

Watching my videos over I can totally see what went wrong and how I could improve.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
In general
  • Try to not grab that much.
  • Use way more your smashes.
  • Pivot smash and pivot grabs must be mandatory.
  • Try to practice to walk instead of always run, it will gives you more options often.
  • Mix up your get up option at the ledge, almost every time you did a roll get up.
  • Don't stay on shield and roll always toward your enemy.
You just need to keep playing, as the more you play the easily is to recognize some situations, where you could have done heavy damage by punish his bad decision.
Just keep going :).

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
I agree with what koken koken has to say. Something I also notice is that you barely jump. I did not.. (if so, barely) saw you jump and throw any pikmins. You can also throw pikmins in the air and quickly follow it up with an aerial. Also in the little mac match, I saw Little Mac corner you without any pikmins. You can auto pluck cancel the pikmin into a smash attack or grab to help get out or a risky situation.

Dalxp26

Smash Cadet
NNID
Dalxp26
https://www.twitch.tv/flippers360/v/56880010#

Harsh criticism please
@ 1:21:00 this is my first time facing a Sonic player and it happens to be True Blue.. I started the match decent but then got overwhelmed with his speed and started missing a bunch of my moves. (Kept buffering into moves I didnt want to do)

What are things aside of the pivot grabs can I work on? (My pivot grab game sucks.. I need to lab em intensely)

I also kept getting hit by the spin dash/homing attack and I didnt really know how to avoid/get out of it.

@ 3:01:00 ZSS
As for this match, I kept getting grabbed and hit with the bair too many times. Not really sure what to do in this MU

Last edited:
Top Bottom