• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar match-up tier list

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Ayo

Myran, a top-level professional Olimar player that placed 9th at Genesis, has posted a match-up tier list for Olimar, including some light MU analysis in responses to other users

BlueJaySSB

Poggers my Doggers
Ayo

Myran, a top-level professional Olimar player that placed 9th at Genesis, has posted a match-up tier list for Olimar, including some light MU analysis in responses to other users

Idk if I agree he loses no matchups. He struggles against characters that can get inside on a diagonal angle and get at him with constant pressure. Honestly, I think he loses vs Fox/Wolf.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Any idea what makes Incineroar such a favoured MU?
His revenge makes throwing Pikmin at him really dangerous and ive been struggling with the MU vs any incineroar that knows they can do this

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Any idea what makes Incineroar such a favoured MU?
His revenge makes throwing Pikmin at him really dangerous and ive been struggling with the MU vs any incineroar that knows they can do this
I am not at all familiar with Olimar so I don't have an answer for that, but the input Myran gave in response to another user on Twitter was that Olimar can just bait/force Incineroar to approach, which can be abused because of his slow speed. Play super campy I guess is what that means, even w/o projectiles? What options have you already explored in the MU?

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
How is Lucina even and Marth advantage? They're essentially the same character. The only huge difference between them is back air because they destroyed Marth's version while letting Lucina retain a ton of it's power despite not having to land a tipper.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
How is Lucina even and Marth advantage? They're essentially the same character. The only huge difference between them is back air because they destroyed Marth's version while letting Lucina retain a ton of it's power despite not having to land a tipper.
Lucina is significantly better than Marth as a result of her attacks' consistency, which allows her to play in a way that Marth cannot because it would be unsafe for him to do so

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
Lucina is significantly better than Marth as a result of her attacks' consistency, which allows her to play in a way that Marth cannot because it would be unsafe for him to do so
I agree that Lucina is probably the better character, but not significantly. Marth wasn't significantly better than Lucina in Smash 4 and I don't think she's significantly better here. They have the exact same frame data and range on all attacks and share combo trees very closely. You're being kind of vague, but I'm assuming you're saying Lucina can be more aggressive, but Lucina's attacks being slightly safer on shield compared to non tippered attacks doesn't swing a losing matchup into an even or winning one, especially against a character that isnt going to be playing close to you in the first place, and she still shouldn't be going super aggro in neutral anyway because her frame data isnt the best.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
I agree that Lucina is probably the better character, but not significantly. Marth wasn't significantly better than Lucina in Smash 4 and I don't think she's significantly better here. They have the exact same frame data and range on all attacks and share combo trees very closely. You're being kind of vague, but I'm assuming you're saying Lucina can be more aggressive, but Lucina's attacks being slightly safer on shield compared to non tippered attacks doesn't swing a losing matchup into an even or winning one, especially against a character that isnt going to be playing close to you in the first place, and she still shouldn't be going super aggro in neutral anyway because her frame data isnt the best.
One of the bigger things is that her lack of Marth's sourspot also makes her much better at edge guarding. Any off-stage play by Lucina is a good play, whereas with Marth that is not the case and he can even throw away his advantage because of it. (Edit: also, just struggling to kill in general when missing tippers)

With me personally I am never concerned going into a match against a Marth, whereas when I see Lucina I know I'm in for a fight. I win significantly more matches against Marth than I do against Lucina, as any of the characters I play.

Last edited:
Top Bottom