• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Olimar Match Up Discussion!

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
How does everyone feel about the Ike matchup? It has definitely been a problem for me and has made me pick up Lucina just for that MU. With Olimar, I just feel like Ike is able to smother me until a N-air combo kills me at 70. I can't tell if its just a DI problem or something else that I'm missing. My combo game on him is fine, but when it comes to that last stock situation, Im finding myself often losing to Ike's easier, stronger kill confirms.

Hacky

Smash Cadet
NNID
SN_Hacky
3DS FC
4513-4712-4723
Switch FC
2414 6996 3456
Another matchup that gives me problems is the Olimar vs Ridley matchup. I FEEL like I should absolutely destroy him in theory, but his giant hitboxes find their way to me far too often and I also have trouble edgeguarding him (which should be fairly easy against a FireFox-type recovery)

G-Dub

Smash Journeyman
Ridley's up b is pretty disjointed so youll have to attack it from above when he's on a side angle.
Nair and dtilt are going to be Ridley's spacing tools.
If Ridley is above olimar hes going to try to land with nair or airdodge or get to ledge. Big punish opportunities if you guess right.

SecretAsianMan

Smash Apprentice
As a Dedede main, I feel that the olimar machup is even. D3 has good range and speed on all of his aireals, Gordo to keep applying pressure to a pikmenless olimar, With proper timing he can inhale pickmen off of his arieals/grabs/smashes and delete them. He is pretty hard to gimp and has the D3 exclusive 2-frame delay tech, and is a very bulky boi so taking some combos isn,t that big of a deal, and olimar is a lightweight so he can die easily. Olimar struggles with juggling, witch D3 is very good at with up-air having a long lingering hitbox, u-tilt having armor on his head, and gordo covering other landings. Meanwhile Olimar is a combo god and has very good DPS, wich is a typical Anti-heavy character. I never had a tough time fighting olimars in my local.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
I definitely would put Olimar as a strong advantage vs D3. His movement is some of the worst in the game being even slower than Olimar so you can't really rush us down, your attacks don't come out that fast and are usually pretty committal due to longer animations. Contesting D3 isn't that hard either since Olimar can usually get in before D3 has time to deal with it (Transcendent aerials work wonders for approaching). Inhaling Pikmin is only annoying if we side-b a lot since it'll shoot it back. However if you inhale a smash attack you have a ton of lag and we can come and smash you again for free. It also only takes 1 frame to generate a Pikmin. D3 has some decent juggle potential with his uair, but he's held back by the worst airspeed in the game imo. His frame data isn't that fast either so it's not as threatening as lot of the traditional up close fighters. Gordo can be annoying but can also be used against you. Fsmash walling can make it tough to put Gordos out. You're heavy and that'll help you live longer sure, but Olimar isn't skimping on kill power and most of your kill moves are single hits which makes whistle armor quite effective. Also it's not that hard to 2 frame a D3 if once they up-b. Olimar can dtilt or dsmash on stage to poke or use dair which is active for around 7 frames.

Chosen_Hero

Smash Rookie
So I play the palutena match up with a pretty campy playstyle. I find that this combined with extra shielding for AR and EF works pretty well due to it helping to avoid palutena's many disjoints/invincible DA and BA. These, at least to me, make it seem harder to stay at mid range. Has anyone had success with a different playstyle against her? Does super aggro work given her potentially slower start up to moves? Just looking to get that matchup down.

Last edited:
Top Bottom