• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar is banned, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash Apprentice
I've seen and heard a few things about people wanting to ban certain characters for certain reasons. Yes, we need to ban characters. This is obvious. It levels the playing field, allowing for a more fun and fairer match. But, at the same time, it is shocking. No one has mentioned Olimar yet. Why isn't Olimar going to be banned from tournaments? He's the most powerful character in the game right now, and has over 20 0% to kill combos! All of these are impossible to block if he gets one of the starting hits on you. This is not fair at all! Why? Why isn't Olimar banned?

I don't know why Olimar is so strong in this game. It boggles my mind. It's just not fair that a character is guaranteed a KO if he lands one hit on you. It wouldn't be bad if there was only one killing combo, but I've discovered over 20! Out of all the things I've been testing to see if it's fair during fights (levels, characters, certain moves), Olimar is by far the one character that should be banned first.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Over 20 death combos with Olimar? You can't be serious!

Eh, link me? I'd like to see them.

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
There's not really any reason to ban him right now because the game just came out. Once more tourneys get going and people decide that he is indeed waaaayy to powerful, maybe he will be banned.

I haven't really used Olimar at all; are you serious about the 20 different 0-kill combos? I just find it hard to believe (not saying you're lying though)

Gill

Smash Journeyman
As much as I would hate to see characters start getting banned, I think Olimar might be the first, yeah. I don't know about this 0% kill combos, but I haven't fought one Olimar yet who doesn't just spam pikmin throwing.

EDIT: Actually no, Olimar wouldn't nowhere near be ban worthy. His upB is so easily edgehogged, he's one of the lightest characters, no?

k-masera

Smash Rookie
hi i'm an idiot and i can't adapt my strategy to anything

someone help please

Smash Apprentice
I've been testing everything out my self. It is quite ridiculous. I've found 22 unique so far, I'm sure there are more.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Olimar isn't that good... yet. And I only say yet because I'm willing to give him a chance to be.

In the end no characters will be banned. As of right now Olimar is the least of anyone's concerns. He's not as cheap as you made him out to be.

Right now Dedede is causing havoc with tournament rules. Think of Dedede as the Larry Byrd of Smash. His inclusion to the game is actually causing speculation over many stages being banned.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
No chance any character will be banned. Banning a character is an absolute last resorts that has only happening maybe...3 times across every fighting game ever made. It has never happened in Smash and I don't see any characters in Brawl so far that are so grossly overpowered that they would need to be banned.

Smash Apprentice
Olimar isn't that good... yet. And I only say yet because I'm willing to give him a chance to be.

In the end no characters will be banned. As of right now Olimar is the least of anyone's concerns. He's not as cheap as you made him out to be.

Right now Dedede is causing havoc with tournament rules. Think of Dedede as the Larry Byrd of Smash. His inclusion to the game is actually causing speculation over many stages being banned.
Wow, I think we need to ban Dedede too then.

Cinder

Smash Master
Let me just ask...why should we ban characters? It's just not something we do...obviously you've never been to a professional tournament...if you have trouble fighting a character, or you think he/she/it/potato's too "good", then learn to counter...it's not like Olimar can't be countered...and besides, was Fox banned in Melee? I think not...if we didn't ban Fox in Melee, then why should we ban anyone in Brawl, in which the skill gap was made much smaller (I will admit, it still exists, but it ain't like Fox against M2)

Puffs

Smash Ace
Zero Suit Samus, Peach, Diddy Kong, Link, Toon Link, Wario, R.O.B., King Dedede, and Sonic should be banned because they can spawn items.

Banning characters is a stupid idea, except Fox in Melee.

Necrochild313

Smash Apprentice
We should probably ban every character and every stage so that nobody feels excluded and everyone feels good about themselves.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
I smell a joke topic....
I hope this is. The notion that we should ban Olimar who isn't even really threatening the metagame right now is ludicrous.
I'd like to see some video of these 20 0% kill combos.

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
Banning characters is like saying Sakurai and the development team failed at making the game.
Which leaves you with the question, "Why are you even playing the game?"

Getting rid of characters = death of Smash
Nobody was banned on Melee, so nobody will be banned on Brawl.
Brawl is so much more balanced than Melee, so why are people still complaining?

Sirami

Smash Cadet
Banning characters is like saying Sakurai and the development team failed at making the game.
Which leaves you with the question, "Why are you even playing the game?"

Getting rid of characters = death of Smash
Nobody was banned on Melee, so nobody will be banned on Brawl.
Brawl is so much more balanced than Melee, so why are people still complaining?
Are you so sure? I kind of feel that the lack of universal techniques is going to make the bottom tiered characters simply unable to compete with top tier characters, once people know how to play them to their fullest.

But then again, that's a discussion that belongs in a different thread.

BlackFoxPariah

Smash Apprentice
Adapt to it. Ike can easily kill at lower percentages- should he be banned? No. Just get used to it. People cry for bannings when they can't counter things.

Of all the characters, its not like everyone at tourneys will use Olimar anyway.

OrlanduEX

Smash Lord
Adapt to it. Ike can easily kill at lower percentages- should he be banned? No. Just get used to it. People cry for bannings when they can't counter things.

Of all the characters, its not like everyone at tourneys will use Olimar anyway.
If he turns out to be good, then everyone WILL use him. My question is "is he really that good?"

Florida

イーグランツ
Why ban Olimar? His pikmin are the ones that are causing the havoc.

Waddle

Smash Ace
Go die please. Talking about bans this early in a game is friggin stupid as hell. You can just DI and/or Air dodge to get away from that ****.

Royboy

Smash Apprentice
well, i think that those 20 or so combo must have a certain pikmin order to be done. The pikmin you pick up are random, so it all depends on luck. Or maybe this is the mtive he get banned.

And second, this is why i hate tourneys. They ban everything, now they ban Characters too.....

sorry for my bad english XD

billywill

Smash Journeyman
why would he be banned, if he would be banned i would be pissed cause so far he is my favorite chracter

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Brawel's meta game is still young and much more testing is needed to decide in certain characters are too overpowered. The backroom will give their "official" tourament rules in due course. It will be up to individual tourament organizers to follow or ignore them.

But as an Olimar superfan, I will definitely be playing as Olimar online and against friends no matter what.

ObeseNightmare

Smash Cadet

Wait... Dedede is good?

Darkurai

Smash Master
As AlphaZealot said, only about three characters in the history of fighting games have been banned ever. Banning characters is an absolute last resort. Items are banned first, followed, by stages, then techniques, and characters are last, and only if they're game-breaking.

Sirami

Smash Cadet
As AlphaZealot said, only about three characters in the history of fighting games have been banned ever. Banning characters is an absolute last resort. Items are banned first, followed, by stages, then techniques, and characters are last, and only if they're game-breaking.
This is the truth. Jin wasn't even banned in Tekken 4, even though there were a **** ton of tournaments that resulted in Jin vs Jin in the final match.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
If we start banning characters I quit this game and I hope everyone else does too. Banning characters is the single most ******** idea anyone of this forum has come up with.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
And second, this is why i hate tourneys. They ban everything, now they ban Characters too.....
I don't think you've ever been to a tournament, if you had you would realize that they DONT ban characters and aside from this thread this is the first I've heard anyone even mention banning characters in Brawl. Go to a tournament, judge for yourself, then decide. Don't read random forum posts and try and make an assertion based not on experience but on some random users words of what they think goes on.

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I think we need to ban Dedede too then.
LOL

He said that Dedede is the Larry Bird (NOT Byrd) of Smash, and that was sufficient to convince you he is ban worthy? LOL

Edit: That Larry Bird comparison makes absolutely no sense, btw

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
this is thread is ridiculous.
characters will never be banned.
If you have a 0 to kill combo, you use it.
That would make Olimar a good, top tier character.
However, I'd like a vid of the "20 combos" you have. Otherwise, they don't exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom