• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar in-depth guide video?

Dattoking

Smash Rookie
Hello there, loyal Olimar users. After maining Olimar since 2014, I've only recently decided to really get into the competitive scene of Smash 4. After lots of information gathering and a bit of discussion over here, I've decided to create a very in-depth Olimar video, covering as much as possible. His basic moveset and core gameplay, strategies, pikmin management (what lineup for what situation? What colours do I want when, for what match-ups?), approach options, defensive options such as landing, ledge options, getting back on stage, zoning, combos, and advanced techniques.

I would like to ask for ideas of any topics you feel are important to playing Olimar effectively on a competitive level. Any information or tips are appreciated as well. Even footage, if you've got a cool combo, tech showcase, or any kind of footage you would like to get featured in a bigger project, I'll appreciate any help I can get :D

That brings us to the issues I have: I don't actually have a capture card. Yeah, that's pretty major. So far, I have been collecting footage using the game's built in uploading feature, sporting an impressive 720p with 30 fps... As I would love this project to be of the best quality I can, I am considering getting a capture card. But before dishing out $150+, I am checking here for interest. If many enthusiastic capture card-weilding Olimars comes together to make footage, it'll speed up the entire process by alot and enable the glorious 1080p60 that our tiny space captain deserves.

That said, my hopes with this is to make an easily acessable, informative guide on everything there is to know about Olimar. Alm in one place. I personally don't mind reading about stuff i am interested in, but i think that a decent video with informative commentary and active visual presentation is much easier to get into and learn from. Hopefully, such a project may bring some new aspiring Olimar players and really bring out the character into the light. Olimar isn't as appreciated as i think he should be. Maybe we can change that?

If there are any opinions on this subject, any discussions, any interest, I would love to see as much activity as I can get in this thread! Any thoughts are appreciated. :)

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
If you plan to discuss numerous topics on Olimar it may be better to break it into a smaller group of videos instead of one large one. Studies have shown that it's more likely to be watched, and makes it easier to find each concept. Also top Olimars often vary in their Pikmin management styles so I'm intrigued to see how you tackle that subject.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I'm more than committed to this idea, so count on me.
All we main Olimar here almost built our knowledge by ourselves and sharing it here, but primary just by text and no visual reference. Except obviously for some videos of matches some people show sometimes.
I speak for myself telling that all I know it's thanks to watching the videos here and reading all the info spread around our tiniest forum.

As Myran Myran said, it's better to have a group of "short" videos instead of a larger one.

Some ideas around to start:
  • Whistle super armor issue (6 frames) and how practice may actually help to succeed.
  • Pluck instant Fsmash.
  • Basic combo dthrow with his following strings.
  • Explanation of properties of the pikmins.
  • Recovery options and how the pikmins in line affects it.

Obviously there are way more topics but it's just an idea.

Dattoking

Smash Rookie
If you plan to discuss numerous topics on Olimar it may be better to break it into a smaller group of videos instead of one large one. Studies have shown that it's more likely to be watched, and makes it easier to find each concept. Also top Olimars often vary in their Pikmin management styles so I'm intrigued to see how you tackle that subject.
Noted. Thanks for the tip. I might post WIP's here for thoughts too. Breaking it down is probably a good idea. In that case, for the first video, I would like to cover his moveset. It would include uses for each move. Maybe I will cover the frame data aswell, though it would be easier to just send people to kuroganehammer. xD

Making several videos will let me go more in-depth on each subject without making a 1 hour video i feel. haha

I think the moveset will be getting the most screen time. Might combine some topics into single videos.

Dattoking

Smash Rookie
Hey, just in case anyone is actually still interested in this, I wanna say that I didn't abandon this project.

However, I decided to get an actual capture card. Should have made that decision long ago. :p So I decided to kind of scrap the work I already did, and remake it with the card once it has arrived. Getting work done with a capture card will require just a fraction of the time using the replay uploading system. I really underestimated just how slow the upload would be from the Wii U. xP Not to mention the ability to record in 1080p60, as opposed to 720p30. I think think the end result will be worth it in the end :)

Just an update on why I haven't gotten anything done and published yet. Sorry for being so slow.

Last edited:

Dattoking

Smash Rookie
Hi guys. Despite all the things I said, it probably wont be published. I was working too slow and in the end, I heard that Izaw was working on Art of Olimar and just figured that his video would be better than what I had anyways. And yea, nothing was really lost with me kind of cancelling my project considering the recent increase in content involving Olimar from Myran himself, and ofcourse, Art of Olimar.

So yea, I also wanna apologize for making a bunch of promises I didn't keep in the end. Alot came down to me just being too bad at creating the content I wanted to make. Hope this explains some things. :p

Top Bottom