• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar chaingrabbing possibilities + follow ups out of the final grab

Cruzybecks

Smash Rookie
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has played around with Oli's chaingrabbing possibilities as well as me? Might be an idea to collate info here.

I've been playing around with chaingrabbing since I picked up Olimar in PM as I recall him having chain-grabs out of down throw in Brawl. The down throw one still works on heavies and floaties, but doesn't work on fast fallers as they can just tech away, even after a flowered blue down throw at 0%. I've been practising with a Lucas main recently and found that with whatever pikmin, no matter what stage of flowering they're at, upthrow chaingrabs on semi-fast fallers until at least 30% I think (not exactly sure on the percantage yet). Sometimes, dependant on their DI after the throw, a turnaround grab is necessary, but this is not too hard to spot as they end up around the middle of Olimar's head. With practise, this gets easier to spot as I didn't realise that it had to be done after first but it can be done in one session.

Anything else anyone has from practise with chaingrabbing + follow ups outside of the usual dthrow > fair would be greatly appreciated. I really like Oli's grab versatility against the cast and his versatility in general and am looking at expanding my usage of his moveset in my play as it is starting to open up but is fairly small at the moment.

steelguttey

mei is bei
tbh chaingrabs are kind of a waste, you can just get a fair-fair follow up or usmash for more damage. the most regrabs i get are one, mostly because of the dangers of whiffing the grab

it-a-albinomoose

Smash Rookie
you get it on a lot of charaters actually, most of the generic weight/fall speed characters you can get either dthrow or upthrow changrabs for some extra % but you have to follow di mostly and JC grab or boost grab depending on distance and character, ive just been messing around and winging it, it mostly works at the start of stocks to rack up % and go from there, if i miss go for someother tech coverage option, if they end up in the air and think they can get out then uptilt or upsmash into follow ups can work well. i do know for fast fallers their CG starts at like 60 or something with up throw for like 3-4 grabs or so, before then just dthrow tech chase, and then you can finish with an airial and be able to kill.

Top Bottom