• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Advanced Techniques

Player -0

Smash Hero
This is just going to be a compilation of all of Olimar's AT's and tidbits. Hang with me and tell me if I'm missing any + figure out some names for these (we Squirtle boards?). I'm probably not the right person to do this (Super unknowledged hype).

Going to use the words "Charged Pikmin Pluck" and "Uncharged Pikmin Pluck" for convenience, I will be using them to refer to whether Olimar gets a boost when using Pikmin Plucking (charged) or only the stall (uncharged).

Also keep in mind that grabbing the edge will NOT "charge" pikmin pluck.

1. Instant Landing | (thread)
Use - This technique causes Olimar to land with 0 landing lag as opposed to the normal 4 frames similar to Yoshi's and Peach's DJ. Same use as wavelanding, no lag though.

How - Use the aerial pikmin pluck (Neutral B) right before landing, while jumping through a platform, or right after you jump. The visual cue for the platform version is when Olimar's head is THROUGH the platform. Not shown in the video but Olimar can also do this when his feet line up with the platform, similar to wavelanding. For the ground version you need to use an uncharged pikmin pluck right before you touch the ground.

*** (I need to double check on some of these)

2: Ledge Landing
Use
- Similar to ledgedashing but much less risky. Get onto the stage from the ledge.

How - Be on a ledge. Press away from the stage (to let go of the ledge), return the control stick to neutral (to perform pikmin pluck), perform a charged pikmin pluck (to get a small boost), press towards the stage (to get onto it).

3. Platform Smashing
Use
- Makes a pikmin do a smash attack while Olimar is below the platform it's on.

How (Up Smash Method) - Do this is by only having one pikmin and Up-Smashing the pikmin onto the platform then using the smash attack, it can be charged. The timing is pretty tight.

How (Pluck Method) - Pluck a pikmin under a platform (so it lands on top) and perform the desired smash attack. This method only works with the red, blue, and yellowpikmin (purples and whites don't get plucked high enough). This only works if you have less than the max amount of pikmin and the rest of your pikmin are too far away to be selected for the smash attack (typically too far away because pikmin throw).

How (D-Smash Method) - Have 2 pikmin at most. Stand by the ledge so that when you D-Smash the pikmin will fall off the ledge and fly onto the platform above. After the pikmin is on the platform perform the desired smash attack.
***Note this only works on stages where the pikmin will fly onto the platform above Olimar.

4. Pikmin Dashing (Spam -> Waveland)
Use
- Throwing a pikmin while in a SH then wavelanding back, forward, or in place to either camp, approach (typically with purples), or get back to the ground quickly.

How - Perform a SH and pikmin toss then waveland.

4. Chain Stalling
Use - Refresh the timer on your Up-B while hanging on the ledge. Most typically used while being edgehogged and trying to prevent the forced ledgehop. Note that you can only tether 3 times without touching the stage before the tether doesn't work. Also doesn't retain invincibility (gonna double check later)

How it's done - Be hanging via your Up-B. Drop/cancel your Up-B and quickly re-tether again.

***Removed with 3.5 tether mechanics.

5. Whistle Wavelanding
Use
- Change the order of your pikmin while moving. Good for combos or while on the move and you want a specific pikmin. Going to check how many times you can whistle before having to stop to waveland later.

How - Perform a short hop, use the whistle (Down-B) and waveland.

Feel free to request any changes although they will be subject to scrutiny.

- Struck out chain stalling because the 3.5 tether mechanics no longer allows this.
- Made ledge landing not a variation (not sure why it was in the first place).
- Also messed with wording for platform smashing a tad.

- Added Squirtle boards disclaimer in intro (lol).
- Added D-Smash method of Platform Smashing (credit to Zygo, page 2).
- Specified that "Instant Landing" is also able to be performed when Olimar's feet line up with the platform.
- Added update (3.5) that chain stalling was removed.
- Removed flaming notice, rip.
- Put changelog in spoiler and cleaned it up.

Special thanks to B.W. for the videos and everyone else that has contributed to the thread!

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
can i get a video example of 2?
Not sure where there are videos and I can't record but you should be able to pull it off by sitting on PS2's platforms with your pikmin and dropping through it. Once you hit the actual stage perform an Up-Smash and the pikmin, still stuck on the platform, should perform an Up-Smash.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
....lol
You looking for attention..? You put like 2 down, there isn't even enough at this point to have a thread imo. But I guess it's w/e...

Your number 2 isn't a tech, it has to something do with being within a set distance from a Pikmin. If you are within range of it, you can do any atk an it will warp to you. You also have some crap going on with the purple pikmin being under a platform and the all the others on a platform.

Pikmin Dashing - short hop side B and waveland backwards, forwards or in place. It has a pretty tight window. Good for retreating or following up at high precents after a purple pikmin toss.

Up B Stall - drop down from the ledge and up B again. This can be done up to 3 times in a row. Pretty sure you do not retain invincibility, so do this at your own risk.

Short hop whistle instant land(can e used in combos, keep your mobile) short hop whistle waveland.

I think you can do double aerials in a short hop or something. I thought I saw boss do something like, fair into nair in one jump on a rob standing, in the past.

All I can think off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
....lol
You looking for attention..? You put like 2 down, there isn't even enough at this point to have a thread imo. But I guess it's w/e...

Your number 2 isn't a tech, it has to something do with being within a set distance from a Pikmin. If you are within range of it, you can do any atk an it will warp to you. You also have some crap going on with the purple pikmin being under a platform and the all the others on a platform.

Pikmin Dashing - short hop side B and waveland backwards, forwards or in place. It has a pretty tight window. Good for retreating or following up at high precents after a purple pikmin toss.

Up B Stall - drop down from the ledge and up B again. This can be done up to 3 times in a row. Pretty sure you do not retain invincibility, so do this at your own risk.

Short hop whistle instant land(can e used in combos, keep your mobile) short hop whistle waveland.

I think you can do double aerials in a short hop or something. I thought I saw boss do something like, fair into nair in one jump on a rob standing, in the past.

All I can think off the top of my head.
How did you figure it out :awesome:?
Jk, probably going to do a thread like this for every thread I visit for convenience and stuff. Makes people's lives easier.

It's more of a WIP, just to to add stuff as they're discovered.

For number 2 the point is that you can do a smash while staying safe. This is still in P:M right? Gonna check later

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm going to be nice and record videos of all of these.

I might even add some more things I know of that should probably mention.

Like Cutting, which should be a technique people already know, but I rarely see people use it.

Instant Landing (Pikmin Pluck Cancel)
Rising Platform Instant Landing
How: Full Jump and press B as soon as Olimar's head is through the platform.
Rising Ledge Hop Instant Landing
How: Press away from the ledge and immediately let the control stick go to neutral and press B, then press toward the stage again. Doing this too slow will result in Olimar not going back on the stage. Should this happen keep in mind that grabbing the ledge will not return the vertical boost to Aerial Pikmin Pluck. You will have to use the Falling Instant Landing out of a ledge hop instead.
Falling Instant Landing
How: If you've already used Aerial Pikmin Pluck once, then any time afterward Olimar will get no vertical boost until touching the ground again. You can use this to your advantage by getting an Instant Landing. Simply press B as soon as you are about to come in contact with the ground.

??? (Platform Smash)
Pikmin Pluck Method
How: Pluck a Pikmin while underneath a platform once the Pikmin lands on the platform use any Smash attack. While this is the easiest method, it's also the most unreliable as you won't often have no Pikmin on hand. On top of that it only works with the three primary colored Pikmin. White and Purple don't get plucked high enough.

I was unable to make it happen on purpose because it's very hard to do so, but in order for your Pikmin to do it in the other method, you have to move fast enough to make them fall out of line. They'll try to catch up and while they do you have to catch them perfectly on the platform, which proves difficult because Pikmin don't stop on the platform like a character normally would, they just fall straight through to get to Olimar.

You can also try to find a way to make them stay by using F-Smash on the platform and leaving them there or by using Side-B, but this method is also very difficult and impractical because you would need to either have only 1 Pikmin or you would have to set it up so that you can make the Pikmin you just threw cut to the front of the line, and I'm not even sure if making the Pikmin cut in line while they're recovering would even work.

All in all, it's probably best that this technique isn't ever attempted in a serious match, at least not until a simpler way of doing it is found.

Invincibility Refreshing
This is not truly a thing. You can tether the ledge, reel yourself in, drop and repeat, but it doesn't actually keep you invincible like some of the other tether users can do. I didn't make a video because this one is actually very simple to do, but that doesn't mean it's not a valuable thing to know. Doing things like this make it difficult for the opponent to know when you're coming... Just don't do it more than three times.

Pikmin Dash (Pikmin Throw Waveland)
526%
No "How" on this one, but I will note this this isn't easy to do consistently without a little practice. The frame window is pretty tight, and you pretty much have to know that you're going to use Pikmin Throw before you jump as you have to use it immediately.

Chain Stalling
No video for this either because it's self explanatory.

Whistle Waveland
Whispy Close Your Mouth

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm going to be nice and record videos of all of these.

I might even add some more things I know of that should probably mention.

Like Cutting, which should be a technique people already know, but I rarely see people use it.

Instant Landing (Pikmin Pluck Cancel)
Rising Platform Instant Landing
How: Full Jump and press B as soon as Olimar's head is through the platform.
Rising Ledge Hop Instant Landing
How: Press away from the ledge and immediately let the control stick go to neutral and press B, then press toward the stage again. Doing this too slow will result in Olimar not going back on the stage. Should this happen keep in mind that grabbing the ledge will not return the vertical boost to Aerial Pikmin Pluck. You will have to use the Falling Instant Landing out of a ledge hop instead.
Falling Instant Landing
How: If you've already used Aerial Pikmin Pluck once, then any time afterward Olimar will get no vertical boost until touching the ground again. You can use this to your advantage by getting an Instant Landing. Simply press B as soon as you are about to come in contact with the ground.

??? (Platform Smash)
Pikmin Pluck Method
How: Pluck a Pikmin while underneath a platform once the Pikmin lands on the platform use any Smash attack. While this is the easiest method, it's also the most unreliable as you won't often have no Pikmin on hand. On top of that it only works with the three primary colored Pikmin. White and Purple don't get plucked high enough.

I was unable to make it happen on purpose because it's very hard to do so, but in order for your Pikmin to do it in the other method, you have to move fast enough to make them fall out of line. They'll try to catch up and while they do you have to catch them perfectly on the platform, which proves difficult because Pikmin don't stop on the platform like a character normally would, they just fall straight through to get to Olimar.

You can also try to find a way to make them stay by using F-Smash on the platform and leaving them there or by using Side-B, but this method is also very difficult and impractical because you would need to either have only 1 Pikmin or you would have to set it up so that you can make the Pikmin you just threw cut to the front of the line, and I'm not even sure if making the Pikmin cut in line while they're recovering would even work.

All in all, it's probably best that this technique isn't ever attempted in a serious match, at least not until a simpler way of doing it is found.

Invincibility Refreshing
This is not truly a thing. You can tether the ledge, reel yourself in, drop and repeat, but it doesn't actually keep you invincible like some of the other tether users can do. I didn't make a video because this one is actually very simple to do, but that doesn't mean it's not a valuable thing to know. Doing things like this make it difficult for the opponent to know when you're coming... Just don't do it more than three times.

Pikmin Dash (Pikmin Throw Waveland)
526%
Thanks for the input, the best I'll be able to do for recording is doing it with a camera (the best of recording devices). I'll be ordering some of this stuff right but changing the words a bit (probably) so if you/anyone catches an error in the "translation" then call me out on it.

Also for Oli's Aerial Neutral B do you know if he gets the big hop back if he touches the ledge? Or can you do the quick ledge thing with the small hop? I'll probably be messing around with P:M later and test this but in case I don't I'll go ahead and ask.

Edit - You talked about it in the post, Loooool.

Last edited:

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm still updating that post, just so you know.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by that question. If you're asking if he gets his vertical boost back from grabbing the ledge the answer is no.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "quick ledge thing."

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm still updating that post, just so you know.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by that question. If you're asking if he gets his vertical boost back from grabbing the ledge the answer is no.

Also I'm not sure what you mean by "quick ledge thing."
Most of my post before I screwed up because I can't read, lol.

Probably going to update the OP later today, feeling really lazy right now.

steelguttey

mei is bei
the instant landing on the ledge doesnt even make olimar do the aerial pluck animation, he just goes right on the ledge. insanely hard to do, but possible.

also stop using any taunts except down taunt down taunt is best taunt

steelguttey

mei is bei
woop woop is best taunt dont even get me started

and do you know how tight of a link the side b wave land is? i cant seem to get it. i short hop and mash wavedash but i never get it is it like a 1 frame link or something?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Couldn't say.

If you use Pikmin Throw fast enough you have a few frames to do it, but when I was practicing it, most of the times I got a perfect waveland out of it which means I was inputting the airdodge literally as I was hitting the ground.

steelguttey

mei is bei
Couldn't say.

If you use Pikmin Throw fast enough you have a few frames to do it, but when I was practicing it, most of the times I got a perfect waveland out of it which means I was inputting the airdodge literally as I was hitting the ground.
jesus christ this **** is hard

have you ever done in an actual match?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Yes, but I don't do it often simply because I usually make the decision to throw the Pikmin too late.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I...

I linked them in one of my posts for you...

I made them specifically for the purpose of your use.

Last edited:

steelguttey

mei is bei
funny. i was just looking at this thread cause of that goddamn wavelanded side-b and then you finally bump it. its needed. olimar has cool stuff

Player -0

Smash Hero
This is a reminder for @ Player -0 Player -0

This thread exists plz update with videos.
Lolwhoops, thanks.

While looking back on your post you mentioned cutting, what's that?

I'm probably (maybe).... (possibly).... (will probably forget like I did with this thread) going to mess around with most of the "Instant Landing" stuff when I have the chance (aka in 1294890184 weeks) <--- The number of weeks I forget.

I need to have an idea of the thread I'm hosting after all.

*awkward laugh*

Basically: Bump/Update hype.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I will eventually be making a video on cutting. I just haven't had any free time.

Cutting is just making the Pikmin you will want to use most be next in the queue so that the next time you whistle they will be up front.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
B-reversed pikmin pluck cancel is legit, gives him much more mobility right above the ground.

Also, ill assume Olimar can do the same ATs that he could in Brawl. Obvious ones like wavebounced whistle, and then less obvious ones like ledge pluck cancelling (idk if he can even still do that). The Olimar brawl guide had a lot of ATs, I wonder if he can still do all of them.

Last edited:

Player -0

Smash Hero
B-reversed pikmin pluck cancel is legit, gives him much more mobility right above the ground.

Also, ill assume Olimar can do the same ATs that he could in Brawl. Obvious ones like wavebounced whistle, and then less obvious ones like ledge pluck cancelling (idk if he can even still do that). The Olimar brawl guide had a lot of ATs, I wonder if he can still do all of them.
Pretty sure I've done ledge pluck cancelling before. I was messing around with doing a ledge cancel pluck, DJ, waveland but I don't remember how it worked out.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Leldoublepostbutit'sbeen21dayssonobodycares.

@ B.W. B.W. I had a suspicion before but when messing around with derpy Olimar dittos today with someone I tested the pikmin pluck instaland and I think the video you gave me is wrong. I'm not 100% sure but I think Olimar is supposed to just stop moving up and you don't see the animation of pikmin pluck like, at all.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I'm confused as to what you mean.

If you're saying it doesn't move up after the first one then, I don't recall ever saying it did.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I'm confused as to what you mean.

If you're saying it doesn't move up after the first one then, I don't recall ever saying it did.
I'm referring to this AT. I'm not sure if I'm right because I didn't go to training -> slow-mo -> check it out but I think for instant landing (onto a platform) Olimar shouldn't go through the whole pikmin pluck animation.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Oh no, you can time it so that he doesn't do it.

That video isn't perfectly done.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Oh no, you can time it so that he doesn't do it.

That video isn't perfectly done.
Alright, I might change the OP so it says that you can time it so he directly lands instead of going through the animation and then talk about the timing. Do you know for the example for the video you sent if there was no landing lag?

B.W.

Smash Champion
There was no landing lag.

You can tell if something has landing lag or not by looking at how the character lands. When they land from an empty jump they have a unique animation and they make a shockwave on the ground. No shockwave or animation = no landing lag.

Easiest characters to see this with are Fox and Falco.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
You can do this thing where you pull out tether at the ledge and drop down immediately and grab it.

Basically, you run to the ledge, and JUST when you get off the stages ledge, Up+B, you'll get your chain out and activate the hitbox, but then you'll grab the ledge below you very shortly after. Timing can be hard and failing to do so causes you to pull out the chain and falling to your untimely death. Doing it too early will cause you to just pull out the chain on the ground and stopping you dead in your tracks, which is a better alternative then failing and dying.

Uses vary, but it's a good way to cover an opponent recovering high then being able to grab the ledge to prevent them coming back below.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've actually known about this, but never brought it up because it comes with the unfortunate price of your Pikmin like to fall and die.

And usually it's not just one or two of them. All four of them have a habit of just dying when you do this.

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
Yeah, exactly B.W. .

When I do it, I usually grab ledge, whistle and then regrab. It's usually not even worth doing but i've yet to do it in a real match so it's something I have to try and see if it's indeed worth it.

B.W.

Smash Champion
I've done it.

The process of trying to keep your Pikmin alive makes pretty much everything else a much better option.

Player -0

Smash Hero
So I messed around with Insta-landing. I might use awesome phone technology and post another example video for it. I'll mess around with the tether thingy. It sounds dangerous and highly unnecessary, especially with the changes 3.5 will bring.

Last edited:

RelaxAlax

That Smash Guy
You don't know that PMBR don't have a vendetta against Oli ;)

No, you're right, it was a neat little thing I found one day that's moreso for stylish/effective play if one wishes to show off unnecessarily. It goes without saying however that Olimar doesn't usually get such privileges.

Player -0

Smash Hero
I wonder if it could be useful against Roy/etc since Oli gets a hitbox when his pikmin grab the ledge during Up-B. Since Roy and people hang a bit at the end of their Up-B's. It might be easier to full hop and grab the ledge though. It's something people could try out.

Top Bottom