• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Olimar Advanced Tech Video

zygo

Smash Rookie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiIl58Q1fL0&feature=youtu.be

Hey all, I made a video of a lot of the Olimar-specific ATs that I know, check it out and let me know what you think. The writeup is in the video description but I'll repost it here.

Bounce-Braking

Similar to G&W's Bucket Braking. Using a charged neutral B will cancel all horizontal momentum, allowing Olimar to live from hits that would normally kill him. You have to be out of hitstun to do this obviously, so it's only useful if you managed to SDI the attack down.

Ledge Bounce

I'm uncertain if this existed in any form before 3.6, but since the properties of neutral B have changed slightly, this is now a viable way to get on stage from the ledge. In my tests in debug mode, you can get up to 8 frames of actionable invincibility on battlefield and smashville if you do it right, maybe more if you're frame perfect. If your opponent is expecting an aerial from ledge, this tech will allow you to get on stage and grab them with almost no vulnerable frames. Can be done on all stages, even ones with vertical sides, though some stages are harder than others and I think offer less invincibility frames. (needs more testing)

Platform Pluck

This tech lets you land quickly on a ledge even if your momentum is upward. Similar to wavelanding, but faster. The height of the platform and possibly its width will change how tight the timing window is. Battlefield is the easiest stage to do this consistently on, with a window of at least 3 frames. Distant Planet has a 1 frame window, making it impractical there. Most other stages seem to be in between at 2 frames.

Puppet Smash

This tech allows you to force a pikmin on a platform above you to do a smash attack. It can be done with any number of pikmin as long as your whistle's color matches up with the pikmin on the platform above you. Very situational.

SHPTN

Short hop pikmin toss nair. You can get a hitbox out before you hit the ground, which can be useful if you're about to get grabbed. Best done with z so that you automatically l-cancel it.

SHPTYF

The yellow pikmin is the only one whose fair comes out fast enough to produce a hitbox after a short hop pikmin toss. Useful in the same situations as the SHPTN, so fairly situational. Also best done with z for the auto l-cancel.

Soft Landing

With the 3.6 changes to Olimar's neutral B, it is now possible to do a pikmin pluck when falling normally and land with 0 landing lag. This was possible before, but the window was 1 frame. Now it is two. If you are fast-falling, the frame window may be 3, I'm not sure. You can reverse this as well, allowing you to change directions for a quick jab or grab. Pretty situational.

Whistle Reverse

B-reversing the whistle deserves a video to itself, but you can reverse directions without changing momentum by holding the control stick diagonally down in the direction you want to turn when using neutral B. This can be useful when getting back to ledge after an offstage fair or when trying to take the ledge from onstage, since Olimar's wavedash back is not reliable at grabbing the ledge.

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
No Pikmin Slide?

What you're describing as a b-reverse is actually a turnaround b, as a b-reverse changes your direction and momentum. B-reverse whistle is useful for changing directions during a short hop and faking out your opponent, but I need to test it in tournament to be sure.

Nice stuff in any case.

zygo

Smash Rookie
You're right on the terminology, I knew the difference I just used the wrong word. I'll fix that soon. I don't know what you mean when you say pikmin slide, are you talking about short hop pikmin toss waveland?

Ningildo

Smash Journeyman
Pretty much. It's far more useful then SHPTN or SHPTYF (especially with a purple) and lets you keep distance or close in with a purple. For that reason, I find it weird that Pikmin Slide isn't mentioned, imo.

Top Bottom