• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(OLD) Yumi Yoshimura over Mario's black costume v1.0

TDRR

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: https://smashboards.com/threads/custom-characters-new-yumi-15-04-2020.463313/
Here's a more updated version over Dr. Mario, get that instead of this one.

Been a while since the last new model import posted here (Which would be U R MR GO's Smash 2 Wario, which was posted Jan. 18 of 2019!) so I decided to make a Mario skin, of Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi character Yumi Yoshimura.

would-smash-again.png

CSP:
MnSlChr.usd_0x5fc40_9.png

(yes it was MS Paint-ed so it looks kinda crappy around the borders, sorry about that)
EDIT: This is going to be replaced with a custom render for the version over Dr. Mario.

Model origin: Custom-made! (Not for this purpose exactly but yeah I made it)
Polycount: Compared to Melee's cast, very low, just 1.6k polys! Good choice for when the other guy decides to play with a super high-poly model import :p
Color it replaces: Mario's black costume
Character I was originally going to replace: Dr. Mario, but I can't run SmashForge, StudioSB or HSDraw, so Mario it has to be!
Completely out of place in Melee: abso-freaking-lutely yes

But why does this replace Mario's black costume?: In short, it's this way so that Yumi won't appear in a Team Battle if you want Mario, and because I'll make a model-import pack that gives some characters alt-costumes on the slots not used for Team Battle (Not sure if this one will be there as Sonic is the more wanted choice, but still just in case).
NOTE: The Dr. Mario version is going to be a full character replacement, including all costumes and an altered moveset.

What's up with her awkward smile all of the time?: That's just the default face texture I made for this model. For the Dr. Mario version I replaced it with one that sorta looks like a malicious grin, making it clear that she's definitely having fun and enjoys fighting her opponents.

Why is the lighting so weird?: Since it's a fairly low-poly model, Melee's lighting system doesn't work as precisely as it normally would work. I'm looking into a way to fix it.

Can I rip this model and use it?: No. Well, you can and I can't really stop you, but I really advice against you using this model, since there will be a release of a version with more features than this dumbed-down version for Melee/Brawl. Good things come to those who wait!

She also fits suprisingly well after some minor editing of her model, not having issues like my previous Sonic export who very noticeably sunk into the ground when u-smashing. Also, somehow magically coming out with the correct render flags (As in, not fullbright and actually has shaded mode enabled!),
EDIT: I noticed that a lot of the rigging is hilariously broken, this has already been significantly improved for the Dr. Mario version.

I know you guys are probably tired of the over-abundance of Mario model imports but... I had no other option with this one :/

Attached is the .zip file containing the .dat file, and here's a Mediafire mirror: https://www.mediafire.com/file/q68vd7l57kasyym/Yumi4Melee.zip/file

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom