• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[OLD] Mario Style Dojo - Video & Critique Thread *Updated 10/11/2015*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Mii Gunenr rep. Great when players pick up characters that are underused.

BSP

Smash Legend
HeroMystic(Mario) vs Mr. ConCon(Luigi) Match 1 (WIFI Friendlies)

If the link doesn't take you to the timestamp, it's at 3:15:22

HeroMystic(Mario) vs Mr. ConCon(Luigi) Match 2 (WIFI Friendlies)

Match 2 is extremely laggy to watch, but telling you right now I get bodied pretty hard that match anyway. I still have to improve a lot.
It's ok. I don't even know what to say. Luigi gets the dthrow and things go downhill pretty fast.

A2Z is probably right when he says customs will give us a decent chance of camping Luigi out, which may be our strongest option since he handily beats us in CQC. He almost does double our damage and he has throw -> KO options. Tough MU.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
You can't put replays on SD cards either, unless the option isn't in the replays menu.
I need to check the actual Wii U system memory menu and see if they allow data transfer containing replays to SD card. And then see if I can do things in reverse. That I believe has the highest chance of allowing replay transfers. I've just...embarrassingly enough, misplaced my SD cards.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Finally got some matches up.

Bo X7(:4mario:) vs Moti(:4bowserjr:) [12/26/2014] [Tournament] Winners quarters. I switch to Mario 2nd game. I lose this set
http://youtu.be/cA5nJapoCBY
Bo X7(:4mario:) vs Moti(:4bowserjr:) [12/26/2014] [Tournament] Losers finals. I switch to Mario 2nd game again. I win this set.
http://youtu.be/lNOqWJbKCz8
Bo X7(:4mario:) vs Sheldon(:4luigi:) [12/26/2014] [Tournament] I only use Mario the first round

http://youtu.be/qDYkB_ENmuI
Bo X7(:4mario:) vs JJRockets(:4sheik:/:4diddy:) [12/26/2014] [Tournament]
http://youtu.be/3cFBGNk4520

Any criticism is appreciated. Especially against Luigi and Diddy Kong.

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Need a break from training, so I'm gonna watch all of these today and pitch in some advice.

Any criticism is appreciated. Especially against Luigi and Diddy Kong.
Bo, your Mario is still one of high caliber, and I often feel my advice doesn't really compare since you're the better player, but I'll try my best.

Quick suggestion about your U-air strings, once you feel you're about to lose the combo, I'd end it with Up-B or B-air. Up-B does 12% damage and rockets your opponent away from you, that way they won't immediately retaliate and you can keep the momentum or reset to neutral. It sounds silly at first but Up-B actually combos into U-air, so it's totally safe to do. B-air gives you a better position, and it can true combo but this can only be done if you have Mario positioned behind or inside the target.

Against Luigi, he wrecks our combos very bad until 21% . Until then, there are two combos you can do.

U-Throw > U-air at 0-9%. Not worth much imo, and Luigi can immediately N-air after this.
D-throw > Up-B at 10%, and this is a true combo until 120% or so. You're getting roughly 17% from this combo so this may not seem worth it, but that's literally the only grab combos that work against him, and it's better than eating a N-air to the face.

So my suggestion for the moment is to get his damage at 10% and then use D-throw > Up-B to get him to 21%, then you can start using D-throw > U-tilt. After this, the true combos stop, so what has to happen next is using mix-ups.

I'm labbing against Luigi for the moment because as it stands, he's outright better than Mario in this match-up because he shuts down our aggression. So for now my overall advice against Luigi is to utilize Mario's superior mobility and stay defensive, or continue to counterpick with ROB.

I'd give some help on Diddy, but I honestly don't have a lot of experience against him. However, I don't want to leave you empty-handed. Here's NAKAT's suggestions on how to take on a Diddy.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
These are wifi and I'm stuck using the Wii U gamepad. I don't reverse Usmash much on the gamepad because I'm liable to ftilt or jump and fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZjsaeI2gM - BSP(Mario) vs. Phil(DK) 1 [12/30/14][Nintendojo Ladder Match]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_sbpb4QUho - BSP(Mario) vs. Phil(DK) 2 [12/30/14][Nintendojo Ladder Match]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxCOVmw2MlE - BSP(Mario) vs. Phil(DK) 3 [12/30/14][Nintendojo Ladder Match]

Critique away. These matches are a good example of why I say always have FLUDD charged.

Last edited:

BoTastic!

Smash Master
NNID
BoScotty
Thanks a lot for the tips, Mystic. I really do need to utilize Up B more often. I didn't know it did that much damage.

I've watched Nakat's video after I lost to that diddy kong actually. Hopefully it helps me, lol.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Fought a Luigi recently.

Looks like we can DI towards Luigi and upwards and we can avoid getting D-throw combo'd into oblivion.

The Luigi didn't do D-Throw > U-air, so he might be able to N-air after a U-air, but he definitely can't do anything beyond one F-air after D-throw. If he tries to do anything other than N-air, Mario can N-air to deny it, and Luigi's N-air doesn't reach that high above him.

Just some notes I'm putting down.

IronMario31

Smash Rookie
youtube.com/watch?v=5Y7QTOpYDAI&list=PLOwil_rPIAYnNEqJ3m485Gox_m-BKT_Ro
Starting at 5:00 I start fighting my friend Spherical Crusher (he's ZSS). My Smash name is Knuckles. I have implemented more use of nairs and nairs out of shield and it has improved my mixup game. I think I use him ok. I wish I could play like Ally tho.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
So how do I Mario?

I played this match at 3 in the morning rather tired, so I look dominant in some parts and sloppy in others, but I eventually win. Any advice is great. I didn't bother to edit out any background noise.

On an unrelated note, why is it so hard to kill with Mario? Not a ton of options outside spike, smashes, or a sweetspotted Nair at high %. I played a Dedede today and got him to his second stock, the match timed out because I couldn't friggin kill him.
This all wouldn't be so frustrating if this game wasn't so defensive and everyone and their mother didn't have an amazing recovery that can get them back almost all the way from the blast zone.

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Sonic & Mario matches I commentated:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
On an unrelated note, why is it so hard to kill with Mario? Not a ton of options outside spike, smashes, or a sweetspotted Nair at high %. I played a Dedede today and got him to his second stock, the match timed out because I couldn't friggin kill him.
This all wouldn't be so frustrating if this game wasn't so defensive and everyone and their mother didn't have an amazing recovery that can get them back almost all the way from the blast zone.
Didn't watch the game yet, but DDD is the the third heaviest character in the game. He's going to be difficult to kill for anyone.

Regardless of that, Mario's most reliable kill move is U-Smash. F-Smash is used for hard reads, D-Smash is used for punishing attacks and should always be kept in the backpocket. For any character you can't kill, you can probably gimp.

Mario lacks kill options but his attack speed barrels through the majority of opponents, and can punish really easily. U-Smash is really all he needs, and F-Smash is icing on the cake with how fast Mario can rack up damage.

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Didn't watch the game yet, but DDD is the the third heaviest character in the game. He's going to be difficult to kill for anyone.

Regardless of that, Mario's most reliable kill move is U-Smash. F-Smash is used for hard reads, D-Smash is used for punishing attacks and should always be kept in the backpocket. For any character you can't kill, you can probably gimp.

Mario lacks kill options but his attack speed barrels through the majority of opponents, and can punish really easily. U-Smash is really all he needs, and F-Smash is icing on the cake with how fast Mario can rack up damage.
I get that he's heavy, but in Melee, you couldn't survive a 1v1 by playing keep away and spamming roll dodge regardless of who you played. Sm4sh rewards defensive play which is already annoying when you factor in his size.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
but in Melee
This isn't Melee.

Dodge rolls are easy to punish. In fact I bait rolls with Mario because it makes it easy to launch them that way, either by U-Smash or D-air. I would suggest watching tournament matches to see how players punish rolls and even shielding (which is far more powerful than rolling).

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Here's another match I did. Not the best Jigglypuff I've faced, but still put up a fight. I generally have trouble with matchups vs. floaty characters like this, so any advice and criticism is welcome.

The only solid strategy I have for this is basically just to hang back and be a bit more patient than normal, since Jiggs has great air game and a big part of her playstyle is punishing misses: weaving in and out to poke and rack up damage.

M@v

Subarashii!
Here comes my Mario ;)
Games 1&2 for my Mario here (vs ZSS)

Game 2 for mario here: (I timestamped it already) vs Greninja)

Vs Rosalina (Whole set as Mario) I would love advice on this one; Rosalina's an enigma to me as Mario X___x. I wreck Luma but thats basically all I can do :(

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Vs Rosalina (Whole set as Mario) I would love advice on this one; Rosalina's an enigma to me as Mario X___x. I wreck Luma but thats basically all I can do :(
Since you've asked for advice on Rosie I'll do my best to provide it.

Generally... you kept running into her stuff.

It sounds insulting, but that's the best way I can say it because I'm still the same way myself, and it's the main way I lose matches that I know I should have won. You absolutely wrecked Rosalina's first stock (which initially had me wondering what the big issue was), but then you slowly fell apart and then you went on tilt.

Your FLUDD usage is way too liberal, and it freezes you in place when you could have set up for better positioning. Fireballs are a far better option for controlling space. Not only does it hurt Luma, but it opens up opportunities for attacking, either by Rosalina using Gravitational Pull, or rolling towards you. Her safest option is to powershield it, and in that case you can mix it up with feints and full commitments (preferably with cross-up D-air into B-air into U-Smash if Rosie is shielding. Rosie literally has no answer for that).

Your Luma kills were pretty spot-on. Your problem is after that. You still have to play it smart and respect Rosie's tilts and shieldgrabs. It's okay if you don't immediately kill Rosie while Luma is gone, because Mario's pretty damn good at taking out Luma anyway.

When I fought Dabuz online, he essentially told me the same thing. My Mario can nullify Luma pretty well, but we still have to use proper spacing against Rosalina and not commit so dangerously. Overall, it's just a matter of having patience. So my big suggestion against Rosie is to just play more safely. Fireball Rosie more, use spaced B-airs. Don't try to force opportunities to happen. You'll just kill yourself that way.

Haahp

Smash Rookie
Anti won Collision XI last weekend using Sheik, Diddy and Mario. The first match in grand finals is actually his Mario vs Dabuz's Rosalina. Anti wins that first game and Dabuz switched it up to Olimar. Anti also switch away from Mario but watch the first game to get an idea of how to approach Rosalina.

Anti(Mario) vs. Dabuz(Rosalina) [1/3/2015][Collision XI] You can find the match on youtube/clashtournaments

(Sorry can't link just yet)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Anti(Mario) vs. Dabuz(Rosalina) [1/3/2015][Collision XI]

As Haahp said, this is Game 1 only. However, it's a very telling game. Dabuz is the best defensive Rosalina in the game, and Anti's Mario constantly destroys Luma over and over and over again and Dabuz is always on the backfoot the entire match.

There's been a lot of Mario on the scene lately. I'll update the OP tonight after my tournament.

Update: Added all videos that has been posted here on the OP, and included videos from the CT Youtube page which features Anti's Mario and Nyani.

I'll be making a separate section for Tournament videos which will be categorized by player, which will make it easier for everyone to watch specific videos instead of having to weed through the character section. I'll have to do that later since this update took forever and now I have stuff to do.

Last edited:

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Had this fight yesterday, never fought a good Yoshi until then. I played defensively and tried to put distance between us so I could have some time to figure out what to do, eventually lost. Yoshi in the new game is one scary dino.
At the beginning when I did the Dthrow, I anticipated that Yoshi would escape from it early because of how floaty he is (and it looked like it was gonna happen), so I just went into UpB.

I played this match at 3 in the morning rather tired, so I look dominant in some parts and sloppy in others, but I eventually win. Any advice is great. I didn't bother to edit out any background noise.
An earlier fight

Not the best Jigglypuff I've faced, but still put up a fight.
The only solid strategy I have for this (floaty characters) is basically just to hang back and be a bit more patient than normal, since Jiggs has great air game and a big part of her playstyle is punishing misses.
A not as earlier fight.

Any advice and criticism is welcome. In particular, I have trouble with light floaty characters (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Yoshi).

BSP

Smash Legend
Some stuff:

BSP (Mario) vs Jsalt (Fox) 2 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkuDnYQ5h_0
BSP (Mario) vs Jsalt (Fox) 3 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHVBgdd-ei0

Not too sure what to do against that style of Fox.

BSP (Mario) vs RJ (Pikachu) 2 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qldXwGle4T8
BSP (Mario) vs RJ (DK) 3 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuTrIC7tTyU
BSP (Mario) vs Denti (Diddy) [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtnvQARNt58
BSP (Mario) vs Craig (Rosalina) 1 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2Rrvj13sT0
BSP (Mario) vs Craig (Rosalina) 2 [1/18/15][Wintercon 2015] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDm86AuwXk

Any critique welcome as usual. I feel too slow to do anything against Diddy that's worth the risk of getting grabbed.

Last edited:

Xeze

Smash Ace
NNID
XezeMaster
3DS FC
3969-6256-6191
Two friendlies I had against a fellow portuguese smasher on Smash 3DS.

Xeze (Mario) vs zecaff (Ness) [1/12/2015][Friendlies] - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSCMrJ3iGBE

I realized I did quite a few mistakes, specially on approaching. He has a very solid Ness though. Critiques are welcome.

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
@ BSP BSP

Vs Fox, the easiest way to deal with Fox is to just repeatedly go for the ledge when you're above him. Fox has terrible options for chasing you offstage (at best he might N-air you offstage once in a while, but Fox's N-air is not particularly likely to gimp you), so just respect his aerials and go for the ledge. Actually just in general, you really didn't respect his aerials. Fox is a character you shouldn't be afraid to shield against when you're unsure. Outside of some minor low percent followups, Fox's grab reward is pretty bad, and he has no real way to capitalize after a throw outside of risky edgeguards and generic edgetrap hard reads.

I feel like you commit too hard too aerials (especially B-air) at times. That is really easily punished by someone like Fox, and also given Fox is relatively short, it's not always the most reliable way to space against him. Most of what you do against Fox should be on the ground, going for aerials only when you are certain you are in range or to get obvious punishes. If you must go for an aerial in neutral, usually go for N-air or D-air. Those have the best chance of catching Fox being reckless with his mobility.

Also I wouldn't bother using Smashes against Fox for the most part. You don't need them to KO him (sure, definitely U-smash oos if he does something like DA your shield), but the KOs will come naturally against one of the lightest characters in the game. If you absolutely feel it's a problem, just plan around getting KOs with B-throw. Remember, Fox's grab reward is overall bad, so don't be afraid to let the game go on longer and approach things conservatively. I would also recommend U-throw U-smash at 0.

I feel like most of these tips honestly are things you can probably apply to other matchups generally speaking. I haven't yet finished watching your videos and I could come back to post more tips later, but I definitely feel like your ground game needs work (I don't think this is the first time I mentioned that), sometimes you need to be more careful about where you use B-airs, and then I want to say there's probably a fundamental level of "what options do I need to bother respecting and does this mean I can get away with a particular defensive option?"

Last edited:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
That's a lot of replays to add.

And I still need to put down the tournament list... damn you, Fire!

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I'll have some more matches to post myself here soon as they get uploaded in the next couple days, would love any and all commentary when i do since I'll use the feedback for apex!

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Really having struggles with Ddidy. Could someone help me out?
General Critique: I would use D-Smash a lot less. It's decent at punishing rolls, but it does bad damage for a Smash attack and it leaves Mario completely open when shielded. Jab and N-air are better GTFO options. D-tilt or Jab1 > Grab if you want to attempt a combo.

Against Diddy, you really want to not leave yourself open as much as possible. You started to understand this from what I've watched but it's not quite there yet. Diddy is a match-up where you have to match his speed and engage in heavy CQC combat. This means Fireballs, D-Smash, and F-Smash should be used very sparingly. Charge FLUDD little by little.

-Fastfall and use N-air and (B-Reversed) Fireballs to avoid getting juggled by Diddy. You lost the 4th game due to this.
-You always want to DI upward vs Diddy when he uses D-throw. At higher percents, DI upward and away, then jump to avoid U-air. Avoid air-dodging.
-Work on reading your opponent's options. When you had him locked in U-tilt he lost his jump, so his only option was to Air-dodge. If you read the air-dodge, you could have punished it with U-Smash or another grab. To note though, I believe Diddy can use U-air to get out of the lock.

Good job punishing his Side-B with U-Smash.

Last edited:

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMylugqjlA

Incendiary(Mario) vs Espy(Sonic)

Espy is probably the best sonic in my region. I got wrecked hard the first match, the 2nd one is alot better. My general mindset against sonic(since spin dash is such a pain) is to just throw out hit boxes, and space the best you can. Any advice and critique is appreciated

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
So this guy exists. Plays everyone but pretty effective with Mario.

Last edited:

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
So, I've said a few times I have videos coming up to post soon and then not posted anything. Well, I'm still waiting on my GG 4, 5, and 6 as well as Livonia rebirth vids to be uploaded despite being told they would be uploaded far sooner lol. Having said that, I attended a Gamers for Giving charity tournament this past sunday, and they're actually uploading the video's in a timely pace. I'll post more of them as they upload them, but heres two for now.

The one vs falcon one was really fun for me, and the pit/luigi one I would actually like critique on, as LOE1(the player is shown as rog but its a mislabeled name) has managed to give me trouble every time I've fought him(im aware though of not wiffing some gimps in game 2 vs loe1, was just poor timing on my part), and others people's views I find can often be invaluable in finding out what I need to work on when I'm having trouble. Thanks In advance and I hope you enjoy watching :D

Smasher1001(Mario) vs SethSational(C.Falcon) [2/22/2015] [Tournament:Gamers For Giving]
Smasher1001(Mario) vs LOE1(Pit/Luigi) [2/22/2015] [Tournament: Gamers For Giving]

Last edited:

Incendiary

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sh0rtfuse
I don't see too many Rosalina videos so here's one of mine. It's against a rising Rosie player in my city who took out and nearly took out some good people last weekend at a tournament. I might have caught him on a bad day but I still think it has a good amount of what works and what doesn't. I'm still somewhat getting the match up down with getting used to frame traps and trying to get rid of Luna as effectively as possible. All in all just play as patient as you can but be aggressive offstage as well. Her recovery is too linear, I missed so many capes

http://youtu.be/0ltHOyYVKDE
Incendiary vs Jopan

This is another set but I end up losing to his Shiek. Any advice on shiek would be nice.. Besides the end of game 3 lol
http://youtu.be/h19pQ2scae4

Last edited:

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
video of me playing mario. Some good capes and waterpacks. Also talk about the Rayman troll and meet a troll in the process...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom