• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament Old Chateau - Gengar Social Thread

Spirst

Other boards are starting this up so why not have the first thread on the competitive character boards be not at all competitive!

Talk about stuff. yeaboi​

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
So tempted to play Gengar just because "Wisp" in tag. Hnnnnngggg...

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
After playing around with Gengar he seems to be me a pokemon reliant on tech chase with charged shadow ball wall > extended combo and mix ups using shadow stealth and surprise attacks such as shadow punch when the opponent least expects it. He's a balanced character (between speed and power) making his move set have very versatile options like Pikachu in close range and long range, he has at least 2 options for everything and being able to cancel a few moves with shadow stealth including being able to shoot a shadow ball then shadow stealth immediately if you're frame perfect with the inputs. In field faze his light projectile has high priority and because of this has above average start up to compensate. He also has many fake outs due to him physically disappearing and the fact that some (if not all) of his aerials have the ability to be cancelled which opens a shielding opponent up for a free hypnosis (also cancel able with shadow stealth) combo or grab.

Gengar's synergy gauge takes forever to max out . This however can easily be overcome using the X > X (hold) combo in field faze to gain some extra Synergy, pick it up off the field, and by using spite which is you main Y + B grab to drain the soul (synergy) of the opponent which is a great way to prevent your opponent from getting the synergy mode too. Gengar also seems to have one of the strongest, if not the strongest synergy mode megas in the entire game (hints the slow charging Synergy gauge), he gets a huge speed and power boost compared to the other burst modes and has extended range and even more combos then regular Gengar which go from versatile to insane.

Overall his only flaw is his lower than average Hp stat and slow synergy gauge charge, but a good player can easily make that irrelevant.

Last edited:

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Gengar's been my favorite pokemon for years, but it's great to know he's pretty good here.

You guys heard about the Garlock, right? (Gengar lock).

It goes something along the lines of:
1: Get into Duel Phase.
2: Hypnosis (A forward)
3: 2 weak attacks (Y.Y)
4: GOTO 2

You'll only be able to do it 2-3 times before you auto-shift back to field phase, but it's pretty useful.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
Gengar is easily my favorite of the initial roster. (haven't had a chance to play around with the Mewtwo's yet, and it wouldn't surprise me if DLC characters are a thing down the line.) He has so many fake outs and mixups it's nuts.

Only thing is I'm having trouble dealing with people who wall me out with projectiles. It's more of a personal problem though, I come from a Street Fighter background and I've yet to have gotten used to using R to block (instead of holding back) and using R+direction to dash out of Pokken's version of focus attacks (versus just double tapping as it was in SFIV) Old habits die hard I suppose.

D

Deleted member

Gonna end up maining Gengar once I get Pokken until another Pokémon that I like gets added for DLC or something, then I'll co-main.

Also tfw when Spirst and I always end up maining the same characters in every game. :094:

GeneralBrwni

Smash Cadet
It's not the fastest damaging thing in the world, but Gengar can also take people to the wall in duel phase it seems like by cancelling astonish (midair a, which a lot of things pokecombo into) and then chasing with the midair y attack, then pressing y again to pokecombo into astonish to do the same thing again. Usually a phase shift happens pretty quickly, but if that's what you're looking for, it's useful. Or, for more damage, you can end it with the kick of an uncancelled astonish, or low x.x, though neither might not connect if you don't carefully control the opponent's height during the combo. My favorite combo is up x (I think it might have to be on a grounded opponent), forward y.x, then chase with midair y into this combo.

Also I main Gengar primarily because of his victory animation where he swims in the ground. And because I wanna be all sneaky-like and cancel all of my moves into the shadow pool thing to trick my opponent, but I'm still working on actually making that work. And because I feel a little bit committed until I become more familiar with this game, because he's the only character I know moves and combos for, and I don't want to try to learn another character right now.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Gengar is my all time favorite Pokemon of RBY and overall favorite Pokemon. My girlfriend got kelvin_trainerk to draw a picture of Gengar and Dragonite in love (her favorite pokemon).
https://www.instagram.com/p/BCtsrv9Neh5/

I'm excited to try him out. I got the game on release day but have yet to open it due to school. Will be lurking here and other places :)

KingChaos

Smash Journeyman
Gengar is my main I've been learning lots of mind games with his shadow stealth. Gengar has always been in my top 3 favorite pokemon 1 being Scizor. I love how he plays in this game and his versatile kit matches well with how I play smash. My two smash mains being ROB and Sheik both very versatile themselves.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Literally the only disappointing thing about Gengar in this game is the fact that they didn't make Mega Gengar's legs the way they're supposed to be:

Seriously missing my baby legs.

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
Hi fellow Gengar mains, I've been playing Pokken since last year. When it was released in the arcades in Japan.

I don't play this game too often but I really got hooked on to Gengar's playstyle. His moves are just so unorthodox and unique and his Mega form is crazy strong.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Just noticed that these boards exist. Thought I'd post in case anything meaningful starts to happen here. I like Gengar.

Pokken flairs when?

Doctor_Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Plat002
3DS FC
0259-0882-5580
Literally the only disappointing thing about Gengar in this game is the fact that they didn't make Mega Gengar's legs the way they're supposed to be:

Seriously missing my baby legs.
Cause they're covered in shadows.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820
Gonna end up maining Gengar once I get Pokken until another Pokémon that I like gets added for DLC or something, then I'll co-main.

Also tfw when Spirst and I always end up maining the same characters in every game. :094:
Your sig where can I find that video, it looks to be overloaded with salt.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Finally got the game, been using Gengar to learn the game and I've been loving him so much. His options and everything, so good.

Top Bottom