• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma's First Training Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
We have the sooner room reserved for March 17th!

Now that the room is payed for, Monday I'll be calling some of the pizza places and making orders in advance. Now that I think about it, we need a volunteer to go get the pizza, depending on where it's ordered I suppose (probably in Norman somewhere), since I will be setting up the room.

It's getting to crunch time people. If you haven't registered yet (again, I wiped the list clean, so message me, get me on AIM, or post) do so so I'll know how much pizza to order!

Mission Statement:

Recently one of my fellow smashers and I were talking about what would be a good way to get a lot of our players together AND to help introduce new players/SWF member to the game, the community, and so on.

So we had the idea that we should have a designated day where everybody gets together that can and have it be LIKE a tournament setting. Lots of tv's, lots of people, good players, except no brackets, no entry fee (unless its an expensive place we get), and no real stress. It probably won't affect your power ranking for you PR holders. Assuming we get enough donations, there will be food and drinks!

Where: 660 Parrington Oval Norman, OK 73019

Basically, any directions that take you to OU will get you there... HOWEVER, OU is freaking HUGE... if you look on a map (mapquest, google earth,etc.) you'll see Boyd street intersects Asp... asp is where the Student Union is, and that's where you want to go. If you're not familiar with OU, you'll probably need additional directions, so PM me and I'll give you my cell number so you can call me when you get close.

Okay, the Sooner Room is Room #151. I also found a couple of maps.

http://union.ou.edu/events/first.html
This is the first floor of the union. The Sooner Room is on the top left.

http://union.ou.edu/events/maptounion.html
This is a map to get to the building. The important thing to notice is Boyd and Asp streets.

Here's how it's going to work.

You dont have to be there "on time" it'll simply have a starting time and a ending time. 10 AM-11 PM

Ranked players that have registered will most likely have some kind of cheesy name sticker thing that includes: handle, PR ranking, characters, and maybe real name, etc. So any player that's more interested in specific characters can talk to/watch them. (Somebody look for these for me, I'm kinda limited as far as places I can look)

We will be having Tv's for the top 5-10 Power Rankings holders, that will switch off with 6-10 and 11-16 and so on (at least for a while, theres no sense in trying to make people play for longer than they want without a break)

UPDATE!
Basically. I have decided that the way it's going to work is; seeing as how we're going to have anywhere from 7-9 or so tv's, and about that many cubes, and we don't have an abundance of either tv's or 'instructor level' players. When the room opens at 10, myself and whoever is with me (Probably Alex and some of our crew) we'll set up our stations, then start playing. There should probably never be more tv's than players so that should be fine.

I want to emphasize that everybody who will be being watched and have a tv should encourage those watching them to ask questions. Or if you're playing someone, if you see them do something wrong (repeatedly mind you) to point it out (Paemon's not allowed to do that, lol)

I think that every hour or so we should have some exhibition matches. Where two ranked players will play each other. This accomplishes two things. One, Pablo is wanting to make a promotional video and he needs recent footage, so these will be recorded (I have my own vcr and I'm hoping Zinth will still bring his camera. Two, the people that have been watching them can see them apply the things they tell them. I say we do these one at a time mostly, so that the other ranked members can give a commentary maybe, like if I'm watching Brett tear someone up with falco, I can tell other people what he's doing and why he's doing it.

And I have to add, though this is focused towards newer players, several of us plan on going OOS in the up-coming months and need our share as well.

ANYBODY is free to post suggestions on this page about ideas, if they can help with setups, anything.

I also encourage all of the oklahoma players that frequent the boards to PM new members that look like they might be interested. Or Pablo to do it at least : P

Setups so far:

Tv's: x 7-9

South Paw
Rasta (maybe x2-3)
Dokkoise
Link24 x 2
Out Law
Zinth

Cube/Smash: x8

South Paw
Rasta
Dokkoise
Gravity
King Gt
Zinth
Link24 x 2
Out Law

Camera's:

Zinth

Donations: (This is more for me to remember how much I need to spend of my own money than anything else ;-) )

Ceddan: 10$
Pablo: 10$
Alex: 10$
Andy: 40$

REGISTERED PLAYERS: (PR holders in Red) And their characters

Auddy
Dokkoise: Shiek, Falcon, Marth, Yoshi
Gravity: Samus
Heath: Fox, Falco, Shiek
KOS-MOS: Peach, Marth, Fox, Falco
Pay$: Falco, Doc, DK
RastaImposta: IC's, Jigglypuff, Game & Watch
Shade: Falco, Fox, Marth, Shiek, Zelda, Roy, Samus... spamming
Shanx: Pichu
Scud: Falco, Fox, Falcon, Link
South Paw: Falco, Fox, Shiek, Jigglypuff
Zinth: Red Marth (and only Red), Pikachu

Akasuna no Sasori
Caleb
Ceddan
Chubs
Crackboom
Eli
King GT
Link24
MaliceChaos
Out_Law
Risingken
PWT
Sabu
Sid
SSBM_Addict (& 2 others?)
Wut?

Again, this isn't really for what characters you're good with, just the ones that you'd be most helpful with.. for instance i also play falcon and marth but i probably wouldnt be able to help other people with them much.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
first comment, FTW!

k, so first of all, i think that the top 5 ouldeir own TVs...then, after like an hour or so, t cwitch out with the 6-10 spots for an hour, and switch back and forth. this sounds like a really good way to give people breaks while also giving the new people plenty of time to play the higher ranked. oh, and coty can step in where neccesary.

also, there shouldn't just be matches going on. for instance, someone new who is a marth player could sit next zinth while he teaches them a move or two.
i could do the same with CFalc and sheik, and so on for whatever characters people play.

the higher level players will, of course, worry more about giving tips than kicking butt.

when: March 3rd would be a good day. a week before host, even the vets could use the training time.

Gravity

Smash Ace
i support this fully, but instead of just the higher ups wearing stickers, how about everyone has a tag that says something like "I'm SMASH TAG, #NUMBER" with the number being ranking on the power ranking or something....that way the lower people on the PR wont feel left out, and newbies can know whos who. possibly put real names on there as well.

i also recommend saturday, but whatever.

sign me up for a gamecube/smash bros copy/mem card as well.

ehem...second comment....

first comment with SUBSTANCE!

Vegafuse

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, the scene in Oklahoma is starting to grow to an extent this would be very helpful for the new smashers to get "in the know" of the things going on here. I'm supporting this all the way, and I'll try to find a venue if the Union won't be available. Preferably if we have this in a more "centralized" area where it would require the least amount of travel overall for everyone. Perhaps we can also integrate the event into the monthlies on the occasion it's convenient as well.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i like andy's idea for nametags. like,

Gamerhandle
Power ranking number
real name
characters

or something.
and if they aren't ranked, just dashes.

apparently cotyis forcing me to find a venue, but if you get any good leads, pablo, please go ahead and make the big step :)

Gravity

Smash Ace
i forgot to mention, buut whateever.
id be willing to donate about 50$ towards the cost of the room, and that could make the entry fee smaller...whoever confirms a location talk to me.

also, OKC is about as central as it gets...but UCO in edmond is about 20 minutes north of there and will probably have rooms for rent.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
not forcing, lol... more like... insitent request?

anyways... acutally, i was thinking something along the lines of those nametags... but why just nametags? How about banners? Someone with a cool sig can show it off on their cool banner, and have it have all of that information, then you can have a small nametag with your handle.

again, just throwing out ideas.

EDIT: And getting a projector or something big to always be playing random combo videos (and no, not like thirty fox videos... a variety)

Gravity

Smash Ace
hmm, you put me down for a tv.
i cant bring a tv.

you know what would be really cool? those flag things samurai people wore on thier back...

but seriously, by banners what do you mean? like how big?

it might also be good to have a graph of sorts, of characters, and who to go to learn about/fight a specific character. like people along the top, then characters down the side...

something...just to make it easier..and more awesome.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
I like the idea for the TV's, but maybe just top 10-15 have their own tvs that. Top 15=Every Character Played, so people can go to the specific person with their own tv. Then on the rest of the TVs could be free play so they can play what they learned.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i'll make the player/character cart in accel.
players on the side.
and vegafuse is checked marked for all of them :p

k, so, all top 15 should tell me who they can play alright...on AIM, not on this.

and banners sound overboard. and pretentious. unless there's a cheap and easy way to do it.

we won't even have 15 TVs, man >.>
i like my idea, with the 5 TVs at a time for specific training, switched off between top 5 and 6-10. the rest can be for lower level people to get some hardcore smashing in. also, vets can smash, too, to bring their game up, of course. just, in moderation. no pulling a kuni and challenging until you win :p

put me down for:
cube/game setup
tv
power strip

South_Paw

Smash Ace
By banners I mean.. at least 12x24" or something like that...

and yeah, i forgot about tv's on my setup list :p...oops.. ill add it

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
gota get the date first. location would most likely be edmond, norman, or okc.

probably not norman, since the only cheap place (the sooner room) cannot be rented out most day we would like it.

Scud

Smash Apprentice
I don't have too much to add except that I love this idea and I hope it works out. Also I think the banners are overboard. It seems like nametags would be fine and maybe a chart with the top ranked people. I would definately try to go to this if i could. Maybe I will be able to bring something....keep up the good idea.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
First post updated sorta (Tentative dates)

and alex i know you said send you what characters you play on aim but you're not on right now so before i forget:

Falco
Fox
Marth
Mewtwo
Falcon
Jigglypuff
Ice Climbers
Shiek
Pikachu

you may not want that many i realise... but i put them in order, lol... so if you only want five or whatever just goes down the list. (ill edit this part out later)

King_Gt

Smash Journeyman
Put me down for a cube and smash, and a camera...
And I'm sure me/Bryan/Andy could do something at UCO, Edmond is cheap, remember this.
But OKC would be nice too.
I wouldn't have to endure the long drive, or call UCO.

Omega_Star

Smash Lord
Omg hot hot hot <3

I dig the nametag idea <3 Too bad I don't have a red Marth costume, otherwise I'd just wear that :chuckle:

Yeah, somewhere in OKC or Edmond would probably be best, since the drive to Norman would probably be a turn-off for a lot of people.

Put me down for bringing a TV, Cube, and, of course, "teh filmxors" :laugh:

Sweet idea South_Paw, I dig :) But red Marth is still mine! :p

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Too bad I don't have a red Marth costume, otherwise I'd just wear that
...Dot Dot Dot zinth...

anyways, lol, so yah... when you post make sure you include which of those days i listed you're available! its like... THE most important thing right now to get this thing going... we cant solidify a location without being able to tell them what day it will be on.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
we shall, but i was hoping for more input from peoples...

okayz heres my idea... whoever's looking at venues, see what their sunday hours look like... if we can get in by ten am or so, and stay as late as at least ten im thinking, then ill probably push for it to be on a sunday (unless people say otherwise)

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Yeah, put me down for any of those days, except March 3/4. First of the month is the busiest time at work, so no go for Po. Yeah include me for a setup, and stuff.

Coty this is an excellent idea. Mad propz for this, yo.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
Okay, a date has been set! Minions, go forth! : P j/k

ok, four tv's so far! we need at least ONE MORE! Some on people! SIX more would be awesome! or at least like... four more would be okay... ah screw it, everybody go buy tv's!

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
Obviously, we need to keep it local so everyone doesn't spend a zillion dollars on gas (hint hint)... So some place in Norman? OKC? Shawnee?

Personally, I would prefer Shawnee (so I don't get lost in the city again.)

If it weren't for the fact that my house is rather small for a gathering of smashers(and I don't think my parents would approve), I would offer to let ya'll use my house. We have a big screen...:)

Shanx

Smash Journeyman
Well okc is in the middle of everything. So let's try there. That way the edmond people AND the norman people can complain about the drive, and the okc people can just laugh.

South_Paw

Smash Ace
/sigh, i realized the posting of this thread would go down after the first couple of days, part of the problem with posting it so far in advance of the actual date... but oh well, it needed to be done (for me i needed to just put it out there before i forgot/backed out) but i don't want it to dissintegrate into no-post oblivion (and by that i mean closure) so im going to try to keep it hot if i can

how's everybody so far with march 3rd? anybody have any major problems with that date? i might be in the city tomorrow and ill check out some locations if i can (and drag alex/pablo along with me if possible : P )

so ill post an idea while im at it... maybe getting a hold of that character matchup chart and somebody printing it or something? (bad idea but i think someones bad idea could lead to somebody else having a good idea so i might sa well throw em out there)

Gravity

Smash Ace
march 3rd is super with me.
i will go anywhere as far as norman pretty much.

also, if i cant make it to the samshfest tomorrow(probably cant) then we should arrange some time for me to get this donation to you, and it wouldnt be so terrible if we played smash bros at the same time...although i am personally one who believes mm should be fought in front of peoplem especially one as abnormal as ours.

lets see..as far as ideas goe...im completely blank. i had to pull an all nighter and have been up for almost 24 hours. and i wont really get to sleep until about 4PM cuz i have to go clean my car...

i guess we could, like, uh...you know, whatever...

i have to go finish my homework now...that ive been doing since ever, but good news is im 95% done, and still 70 words under my limit. so woohoo, hopefully i can make it all fit.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
Mar. 3rd is A-OK
because i'm actually open that weekend.
don't know if i could stay all day...probably, but we'll see.

you could drag me to see places, but i live in norman...so that would seem like an extra 30-45 minute drive both ways for no apparent reason...unless you wanted to check out places here.

make one of the edmond kids call UCO. that seems like a good place to do it. or just go here:
http://www.eventservices.ucok.edu/ProspectiveClients.htm

edit: erm...every room is $85 or up...and those are classrooms. so, more expensive than OU...all good rooms are like, over 160, too...bleh.

Auddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Auddy07
Wherever it is, its goin to always be a long drive for us PV kids, which I hate, but wherever it is I want to go. It sound like fun and maybe I'll learn something new. I bet the rest of my friends will probably want to go to.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
The Tecumseh people (aka ME) are willing to drive to OKC, if someone can get an easy to find place. I don't want to have to print out a Yahoo map like last time. *Looks at Alex.*

The date is good with me...

South_Paw

Smash Ace
i can probably pick you up on my way out there ferro... i used to live in tecumseh, but you'd probably have to meet me at the shawnee mall or something (like at the taco bueno or something) at least cus its been years lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom