• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oklahoma Thread: Weekly events for all games in OKC and Tulsa

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
Come to Grove, there is no one here to play with and I'll just tell you to increase your tech skill since I also don't know how to play this game... but then we can play this game. Or you can come to Springfield on a weekend, and they'll kick your butt for hours and they'll only tell you vague stuff like do more shine grabs, don't miss techs, and shine out of shield... and jokingly say that Falco sucks.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Stop right there. Tech skill is cool and all, but spacing and poking is way, WAY more important in an actual match.

You don't build a house starting at the roof, you build a solid foundation and then lay your bricks on top of it... Start with by learning the ranges of your jabs and tilts, and how they interact with other characters' jabs and pokes. Then, learn the situations in which your B moves are most useful- Are they keep away tools, do they aid in approaching, or are they combo enders?

From there, LEARN YOUR L-CANCEL TIMINGS ON YOUR AERIALS! Every character has different fall speeds and timing on their various aerials, learn the timing for whiffed aerials, connected aerials and against shields(you may need outside help on this). L-Cancelling is really the only advanced tech I suggest newbies work on... Only when you can consistently L-Cancel would I suggest learning stuff like Dash Dancing and Pivoting or Wavedashing.

Also, when playing friendlies- DON'T PLAY TO WIN, PLAY TO LEARN... That means stop focusing on the result of your matches and more on the result of your training. Focus on L-cancelling every aerial, proper spacing and practice shielding and Power Shielding every attack on occasion. Train yourself to observe your opponent and learn his tendencies and tactics. Do they shield grab a lot in response to pressure? Are they prone to spot-dodging/rolling a lot? Watch for these things and learn to punish them. This is how you go from getting 4-stocked, to barely losing, to actually winning.

I could go on, but this stuff should give you a good base to start learning from.

Last edited:

RaigothDagon

Smash Journeyman
By the way Dad, you are planning on maining Falco in Melee, right? Because I might be able to help you a bit. Plus, I need more matchup experience vs Falcos, so win win.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
I think mostly I just need to learn Melee matchups.
I really only know how to play as Squirtle lol.

Rhayne

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I'm Rhayne (pronounced rain) I'm new to the smash scene, and currently play melee and Pm. I live near the middle of okc. What's up?

3DS FC
5301-0744-1149
check out Stock Cancel Gaming. We run pretty much everything near you. Moore, Norman, OKC. someone else runs stuff in Tulsa. Join the facebook group Oklahoma Smash Scene

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Yo there's a smash tourney this weekend in Broken Arrow that's gonna be fun.
I think every game will be there. Everybody should come. :D

Rhayne

Smash Rookie
Tbh I have never liked melee. Not that it's too hard or anything. There just always seems to be some kind of lag while playing it, it bugs the crap outta me. N64, brawl and project M dont bug me in that way. Melee just feels...wierd. Like the analog stick just isn't as sensitive or something and alot of the time it feels as if all the characters are sliding on ice..... Any else notice this, or am i just a weirdo lol btw i'm not saying this to bash melee or anything, i would just really like to get into this game as much as i have gotten into all the others, and this keeps holding me back from enjoying myself.

Last edited:

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Tbh I have never liked melee. Not that it's too hard or anything. There just always seems to be some kind of lag while playing it, it bugs the crap outta me. N64, brawl and project M dont bug me in that way. Melee just feels...wierd. Like the analog stick just isn't as sensitive or something and alot of the time it feels as if all the characters are sliding on ice..... Any else notice this, or am i just a weirdo lol btw i'm not saying this to bash melee or anything, i would just really like to get into this game as much as i have gotten into all the others, and this keeps holding me back from enjoying myself.
Because you play it in a lcd tv, it's meant for tubes brah

Jity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jitty_009
3DS FC
2363-6509-4817
There's also no input buffer, meaning if you're a frame too early, your move won't come out. If you're comparing it to Brawl, which has a ten frame input buffer, it can feel unresponsive. I've heard that the game feels "laggy" a lot from people going back to Melee from playing Brawl.

RastaImposta

Smash Lord
Lol!! Wow, they really just wanted to make brawl as least competitive as they possibly could. Just learn when you are actually able to do your moves and you'll be fine.

~Dad~

part time gay dad
Lol!! Wow, they really just wanted to make brawl as least competitive as they possibly could. Just learn when you are actually able to do your moves and you'll be fine.
I got into an argument with a guy about this. He said PM should let you use input buffers because it makes the game more competitive or something lol.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Blame peoples' demand for online everything for input buffers. They are there to reduce latency issues when playing online. Has nothing to do with "hating competitiveness"... If anything, its to help you be more competitive since everyone in the USA plays on internet connections made of sticks and scrap metal.

Everything has it nowadays. Now, I'm all for some Brawl bashing, but input buffering is not one of those things.

Street Fighter has input buffers, for goodness sakes.

po pimpus

Smash Ace
Po when are you going to show up to one of the bi weeklies?
When people stop hating on a game still in development because it doesn't cater to their specific wants despite the fact that the developers are clearly listening to their legitimate concerns, but still have an inflated sense of entitlement because of a fan mod that takes less work than designing a game from the ground up.

Now, I'm not directing that at anyone in particular in this thread, but some of the attitudes and comments I've been seeing of late concerning Smash 4 has reminded me of why I took a hiatus from the community at large in the first place... Which is funny because I know I'll be seeing many of those same people hastily creating Youtube videos and "Day 1 Impressions" when the game comes out.

All my hype and hope for the future of the community is at an all-time low, and I just don't feel like being around such negativity.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Thats our dinosaur lol. Im glad your not so heavy on the negative with the new smash coming up though Brandon I don't get how everyone speaks like they know for a fact how the game already is when the game hasn't came out plus the demo was like an april version of what they worked on.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
Also Brandon you should go to these tourneys if not to play than to commentate I think we would make an awesome commentator duo man!

Top Bottom