• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official "WTF? Why R.O.B???" Thread *debate welcomed*

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I know this is going to be sound very negative, but hear me out.

I, as a Smash fan, have been very understanding with the careful selections of the characters for the roster. Not everyone I wanted got in, and I am totally cool with that, obviously, because it's not custom made for me.

Some other characters that I personally don't care for ARE in, but I still understand WHY they are there and I appreciate the background that these characters came from, and the significance they have to Nintendo's history and gaming in general. So far, so good.

However, I am SOO disappointed with the choice to have R.O.B. as a playable Character. There were TONS other characters that would have filled his spot quite well, and IMO, a LOT more appropriately.

ANYONE probably would have been better than ROB-
Krystal, Geno, Ridley, Midna, Megaman, Wolf, Skull Kid, Balloon Fighter, Daisy, Lip, Animal Crossing rep, Vaati, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Isaac, Paper mario, Tails, Bowser Jr, Jody Summers, Little Mac, Simon Belmont, Bomberman ... the list goes on, just pick one! Heck, until now, I didn't much care for a good chunk of the above mentioned characters, but any of them would be better selection than ROB.

....ugh. Sorry to be so negative about it.

Please, somebody argue and convince me otherwise, because I WANT to love Brawl and everyone in it... but as of now I've seen no reason why ROB is more worthy than anyone else. Someone change my mind!

Chepe

Smash Lord
R.O.B. is in for the same reason Game & Watch is in - for being a TRIBUTE character of Nintendo's past. He was added out of Sakurai's own whim, and those other selections would not have filled the role that he does in the game. No matter how much cooler they would have been...

Gigan X3

Smash Apprentice
I can't help but to agree with you, ROB has Sandbag written all over him, I have been checking a lot of boards and there's a big negative reaction over him, Sakurai wanted to surprise us, although he did in a different way, There's something about that **** robot that makes the roster look...Bad.

As you said, All the most voted character got kicked out because of him, Geno, Bowser Jr., Krystal, Simon, Etc. I don't like him and I hope Sakurai Realizes what he did.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
I hate R.O.B. ... I hated seeing him in Mario Kart DS and now I'm gonna hate seeing him in Brawl... I mean not even Krystal made it in (if that's the WHOLE roster that is... which it might not be? O.o )... I don't think R.O.B. should have made it in over A LOT of other characters... I myself wanted Micaiah and Lip to be playable... but they most likely won't be now... not because of R.O.B. I know but still... I think Lip would have been a better choice... also there are no new females (ZSS isn't even new) and no more third parties if this roster is complete... which I HOPE it isn't but it MIGHT be. =/ (I didn't really read around so I wouldn't know...)

Lefticle

Smash Journeyman
Oh, geez...thank God. When I saw the word ROB on Brawl Central, I thought it meant ROB64, which would have been the lamest thing ever. R.O.B. is far better a character...I doubt I'll like how he plays, but I like the idea. Like G&W (who is still in, awesome.)

IllidR

Smash Champion
ROB is probably the worst thing Sakurai could have added to this game. I'm sorry, but Sakurai made a huge mistake with this. Sure, he may grow on some people over time, but his arms are locked in place, he's not even a fighter, and any character would be a better choice. ROB, I will not play as thee.

Arteen

Smash Lord
R.O.B. is in for the same reason Game & Watch is in - for being a TRIBUTE character of Nintendo's past. He was added out of Sakurai's own whim, and those other selections would not have filled the role that he does in the game. No matter how much cooler they would have been...
Filled the role of NES representative? What about Ice Climbers? Pit?

Darthkirby707

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone HATE R.O.B.?

I personally think he makes a great WTF character, and look forward to playing as him- maybe even maining him.

The roster size dissapoints me, especially since Falco, Lucas, and Ganondorf are clones (correct me if i'm wrong, I read this.... somewhere >.<)

I wouldn't have minded 35 chars if they were all original. If there's gonna be clones, then the roster should have been at least 40.

jb254

Smash Apprentice
ROB is one of the most important parts of Nintendo's history. And to top it off, he's a unique character. I was hoping for a playable character that didn't have a humanoid body form. I was happy with Ivysaur, and I'm even more ecstatic about ROB.

If you don't like him that's fine, but you have to respect him and you have to respect the reason Sakurai put him in the game. Nintendo might not be around today if it wasn't for him.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I blame everyone who wanted a WTF character in Brawl. You know who you are.

Darthkirby707

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone HATE R.O.B.?

I personally think he makes a great WTF character, and look forward to playing as him- maybe even maining him.

The roster size dissapoints me, especially since Falco, Lucas, and Ganondorf are clones (correct me if i'm wrong, I read this.... somewhere >.<)

I wouldn't have minded 35 chars if they were all original. If there's gonna be clones, then the roster should have been at least 40.

okumir207

Smash Rookie
ROB, is, not, a, char.......He showed up in the SSE as probably an enemy since he was opening up the bomb that blasted the stadium for the enemy or king. You dont unlock him, you dont play as him, youll probably fight him though >>

PrettyGoodYear

Smash Lord
Everyone is just being a baby. Seriously, so what if R.O.B. is in, I don't have to play as him and neither does anyone else. If it comes to that point in the story where I have to use him then so what. I'll get past it then play as someone else.
What if R.O.B. is in? The time and resources spent making him could have been spent on someone else.

jb254

Smash Apprentice
What if R.O.B. is in? The time and resources spent making him could have been spent on someone else.
You're kidding right? There was no deadline for Brawl. Sakurai spent weeks just looking through Nintendo's historical archive. 30 music composers had to be assembled. Legal work between two 3rd party companies were done. Negotiations betweens dozens of people each with their own different visions of how to interpret how each series should be represented.

The point I'm trying to make, is that if you're favorite character didn't make it into the playable character roster, it is most definitely because it wouldn't have worked out. Everyone had a character they would have loved to see, unfortunately they don't work out in practice.

If ROB wasn't a good fit, he wouldn't be there. Period. Just get over it and enjoy it. I, however, will enjoy mastering him.

tux_do

Smash Cadet
Hey, he was pretty good in MKDS, why not this? And I bet he is significant in the story, being a defective version or something.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
Funny how no one has yet to give any good reason (or any reason at all, really) as to WHY R.O.B is a good addition to the roster.

Going back and reading about R.O.B. does make me appreciate his history with Nintendo a little more, but I still feel that he isn't a good choice.

And for the record, I totally disagree with whoever said the stuff like "Without ROB we probably wouldn't have the Nintendo we have now," or whatever it was. Since when has anyone ever exalted the Robotic Operating Buddy until very recently? At least the other obscure characters from the past were originally IN a game, and almost all of the games represented have at LEAST a cult following, if not celebrity status in gaming.

ALSO, to those who say "They had unlimited time to develop this game....and therefore R.O.B. is the better choice," consider this. It seems to me that it is very possible that they actually WERE running out of time, so they took a character model that was already in Brawl and re-used it to fill a spot in the playable roster, to save time, instead of making a brand new one from scratch. Just throwing that out there.

As for the Mr. Game & Watch comparisons: When Melee came out, G&W caught me by surprise, too. BUT when i saw him in the roster, I personally DID recognize him, having played some Game and Watch games on the Gameboy, so I at LEAST understood why they did it, and I was actually pretty happy about it. G&W gives some representation to a time when gaming was so simple it didn't even use pixels yet, and thats why his place in the roster is worthy, IMO.

[EDIT: Ok, so R.O.B. was in Mario Kart DS as a playable character, so at least he's got that going for him, but even with that I'm not convinced as to why he should be in vs, say, Ridley, Lip, Krystal, Geno, etc]

YES, R.O.B is going to be a unique character, and YES, he will most likely boast a unique moveset. I will certainly give R.O.B. a shot and see how I like the way he plays regardless of how much I would have rather seen someone else in his stead. Heck, I might even grow to love him and his role in the SE. But conceptually, it makes very little sense to me. SSBB, I thought, was supposed to be bringing together the "All-stars," and he hardly fits that description to me.

I, in all seriousness, wish someone would tell me why he R.O.B. is better than the many other potential characters. I don't want to dislike a character in Smash-- I want them all to be great, so please someone change my mind!!

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
ROB is the ultimate "wtf" character. i dont dislike him, but man, with the huge amount of nintendo characters at sakurai's disposal, ROB seems so anti climatic

courte

Smash Lord
It is very obvious that sakurai is a fan of the movie short circuit.
my head hurt... spinning so much from all of it... but you're sig made it better

here to the one week-month hump

after which we will all love it as its just about what we've got

hoopspr226

Smash Journeyman
I think I would have preferred to just have 34 characters and save myself the torment of looking at R.O.B.'s unsightly ***

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
Ok, R.O.B. is the second on my Banned from Gameplay list, along with Game&Watch. When I'm done playing as much as needed with him, I'm not even gonna touch his square on the character select screen anymore. Sure he's a great ''WTF'' character, but I never even wanted a ''WTF'' character.

Honestly, Sakurai, why R.O.B.? ;-;

Okysho

Smash Ace
I don't like it either, but I'll try to tolerate it as much as I can. It's not because he's another WTF Character it's because Skrai ignored all the more popular characters first and that the spot was much more deserving to other characters... I'll do the best I can to put up with him...

The difference between R.O.B. and GandW is that ROB is a robot! He doesn't even have legs! Hes got treads for god's sake! How can he jump? (Skrai: "Jets!") This character just seems too clunky for brawl...

Help us...

No really, I'll do my best to tolerate his inclusion, doesn't mean I have to like it...

Zihark

Smash Rookie
ANYONE probably would have been better than ROB-
Krystal, Geno, Ridley, Midna, Megaman, Wolf, Skull Kid, Balloon Fighter, Daisy, Lip, Animal Crossing rep, Vaati, Black Shadow, Black Knight, Isaac, Paper mario, Tails, Bowser Jr, Jody Summers, Little Mac, Simon Belmont, Bomberman ... the list goes on, just pick one! Heck, until now, I didn't much care for a good chunk of the above mentioned characters, but any of them would be better selection than ROB.

....ugh. Sorry to be so negative about it.

Please, somebody argue and convince me otherwise, because I WANT to love Brawl and everyone in it... but as of now I've seen no reason why ROB is more worthy than anyone else. Someone change my mind!
Im actually kinda a stalker of this board, but i kinda like ROB so i thought i would post why he was taken over the former characters. To start with, he was not taken due to his immense popularity, rather to his importance in his history, well then let's begin why yours listed were not taken.

Krystal: we already have 3 star fox representives, we don't need another really. She could replace wolf thou... But not needed.
Geno: he is licensed by squarenix and they may and may not have agreed to have any of their characters in (if sakurai even asked them, but we'll never know that).
Ridley: I really can't see him as a player character personally, he feels a tad bit too serious for it unlike bowser and well, it would scale down his "epic" proporation I think personally
Midna: She woudn't fit in alone, maybe togheter with wolf link, but do we really need more zelda reps? We already have zelda, sheik, link, ganondorf, toon link
Megaman: Again, he is a third party char, now a interview stated that Sakurai never asked him to be included at all, maybe he just felt that more third parties was not needed? Regardless, megaman would be a good addition I agree, maybe better then ROB
Wolf: he is in xD
Skull kid: again, no need for more zelda chars. And i can't image a moveset for him (not that I really could before seeing the game play video for ROB either, but still)
Balloon fighter: Wow... He really could have no moveset at all really, and ROB have even been in more games, and a guy with baloon's on his back just feel uhhh... Pointless?
Daisy: Daisy would just be a Peach clone anyway (with almost 100% certain), better with a orginal char with own moveset
Lip: Some girl from a puzzel game which game was changed into a yoshi title for the american/european release? Too unknown imo
Animal crossing rep: I have no idea since i've never played animal crossing, but dosn't they feel a bit too peaceful for running around and fighting anyway?
Vaati: No need for more zelda chars, and vaati and ganondorf already is the evil zelda char
Black Shadow: He would probably turn out to be a C. Falcon clone... I prefer a orginal char
Black Knight: Indeed, fire emblem could use another rep, though then it should be someone from one of the older series me thinks or the GBA titles, no need to take two from same game, but in the end, this guy would be a Ike/Marth clone probably.
Isaac: Not sure if golden sun is a nintendo license or not, but i don't think it is which would make it a second party char, and camelot might not wanted their chars to be in the game, in the end, we'll never know if they were asked forf inclusion at all
Paper mario: Mario... but flat? That's even more pointless then ROB will ever be.
Tails: He would be a good inclusion really I think so, but maybe sakurai didn't really agree there or didn't want too many 3rd party chars which would be my guess really.
Bowser Jr: He would just be another "toon link" but for bowser, again orginal chars>clones.
Jody Summers: No idea who this is, care to enlighten me?
Little Mac: Punch out! is a nice title, but I think that he got enough credit trough his assist trophy really.
Simon Belmont: Same as other third party chars, we'll never know if sakurai asked and if he were allowed to take em in anyway
Bomberman: Same as other third party chars...

Phew, that was one hell of a post. You may or may not agree with my arguments, but anyway. ROB was a good and unexpected inclusion to the game which I like, Though i also can agree that some other characters might fit better in then him, he is very unexpected and that's why I like him. Though actually I think that metroid do need more represents, but there's noone of enough importance that fits in to take a spot really.

Ridley: And Ganondorf is light-hearted?

Balloon Fighter: Sakurai thought he was feasible, since he was in the beta. Also: B = Flipper Spin, Smash B = Electric Ball, Up B = Balloon Pop, Down B = Balloon Blast, Final Smash = Fish (if the Fish weren't in IC's level).

Animal Crosser: Sakurai deemed the character to be not fighty enough to get in, but a character really shouldn't be excluded for not being a fighter (read: G&W, ROB).

Vaati: So logically, Ness shouldn't be in because Lucas is already the good Mother rep?

Black Shadow: They could've given him Ganondorf's moveset and made Ganondorf an original character.

Isaac: GS is a Nintendo license.

Bowser Jr.: Um, no? Toon Link was built off of Young Link, there's no clone for Jr. to be built off from. On top of that, being a clone would be silly, since he has his Paintrbush as a primary weapon.

Little Mac: He shouldn't have been an AT.

MirageofMadness

Smash Journeyman
To Zihark: Thx for actually responding to my comments/questions, although I do disagree to some extent.

I guess the more I think about it, though, the more I think R.O.B. is okayISH, but ONLY because his history of helping getting NES's onto store shelves. Nevertheless, I still feel frustrated that the ever-referenced "Sakurai's Poll" seems kind of pointless now, but I guess I couldn't realistically expect everyone that topped the list to be in :(

Also, to clear things up, I don't feel that I have any favoritism or like/dislike regarding specific franchises/ characters. The franchises I thought should/would get in were the ones I personally figured best represented Nintendo, and I figured the characters would best represent the franchise they came from. ROB just didn't seem to fit anywhere in there to me, and thats why I was like, "WHAT? Gimme a BREAK!"

PS: Wasn't Wolf O'Donnel proven as fake, or is that old news?

CMWaters

Smash Rookie
I personally have no problem with R.0.B. whatsoever. In fact, I kinda expected him before I even started to scan for leakers and such.

R.O.B. was my most used character in Mario Kart DS once I unlocked him, and I got a kick out of fighting him in the 9-Volt boss stages of WarioWare: Smooth Moves.

Add to that, story wise he could have a part with SSE, as every other R.O.B. unit seems to be working for the Ancient Minister.

Outside of that, why he represents? He is a homage to the past of Nintendo...like the Super Scope item.

Now granted, I don't know how often I'll be playing R.O.B., as I've already have my 64 and Melee mains in the game (Mario and Mr. Game & Watch)...plus Wario and Sonic...but we'll see.

Camera_Guy

Smash Journeyman
Oh well. None of my favorite characters made it in. And there is still alot of famous/good characters in the roster. You can not tell me that when you look at the roster there is not one character you like and are willing to play. If you can, you're not a Smash fan.

Zihark

Smash Rookie
Great... tripple post, theese crashes starts getting a bit frustrating <.<

Zihark

Smash Rookie
To Zihark: Thx for actually responding to my comments/questions, although I do disagree to some extent.

I guess the more I think about it, though, the more I think R.O.B. is okayISH, but ONLY because his history of helping getting NES's onto store shelves. Nevertheless, I still feel frustrated that the ever-referenced "Sakurai's Poll" seems kind of pointless now, but I guess I couldn't realistically expect everyone that topped the list to be in :(

Also, to clear things up, I don't feel that I have any favoritism or like/dislike regarding specific franchises/ characters. The franchises I thought should/would get in were the ones I personally figured best represented Nintendo, and I figured the characters would best represent the franchise they came from. ROB just didn't seem to fit anywhere in there to me, and thats why I was like, "WHAT? Gimme a BREAK!"

PS: Wasn't Wolf O'Donnel proven as fake, or is that old news?
Wolf was confirmed to be real after beeing a couple beeing confirmed as fakes so he's in. And well, we all have different visions of what best represents nintendo and so does Sakurai, so well. Not much more to say about it more then not all characters could get in, personally, im glad that those I wanted got in so...

Top Bottom