• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Official Updated Melee Panel Tier List and Community Voted Results

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Just cause more people play link doesn't mean he is better.
If fox had absolutely no representation, he would eventually fall in the rankings. The list is based off potential AND results, the line that separates the two is just drawn in several different places arbitrarily, lol.

Last edited:

Dot_Com0019

Smash Rookie
If fox had absolutely no representation, he would eventually fall in the rankings. The list is based off potential AND results, the line that separates the two is just drawn in several different places arbitrarily, lol.
Good point,my bad xD

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
Wait a second. If Shiek is Zelda and Shiek is higher than Zelda. Then Zelda beat Zelda?

metroidfan987

Smash Cadet
Proud to be a Marth (Melee) main. Now, if only I could've participated in tournaments so that I could actually git gud... :(

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
Are there more tier lists in Smashboards like N64, Brawl, and Project M? No Smash 4 tier list due to patches and DLC.

reobebo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
luckyguy12
3DS FC
2406-5425-8285
Characters change a lot throughout the series.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Nah, honestly g&w is better than both, but mewtwo is definitely better than roy
I would disagree. Roy at least has top tier movement, D-Tilt to combo into another hit or quickly interrupt the opponent from a CC, a chaingrab and counter edgeguard on spacies, and two good kill moves.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
Are there more tier lists in Smashboards like N64, Brawl, and Project M? No Smash 4 tier list due to patches and DLC.
Smash 4 actually has a community tier list as well, but we are in break phase, waiting till bayo and corrin. Back to Melee, I think Fox should not be in his own tier. And bowser is worse than Kirby.

Barbeque

Smash Journeyman
90% of you are clueless, the 10% that aren't a tier list does not pertain to anyway. fox is not ss he's 50/50 marth, sheik is above marth, sheik has needles, and has slight higher favour across all the cast on average. they function very similarly, she also favoured against marth. a tier list ought to be based on character functions in relation to the cast and not based on what people think imo. seems like they tossed all that went into the 2013 list which imo was hardly off aside from perhaps pika and yoshi. an extra S does nothing but mislead. ignore me if you disagree.

Diosama

Stand User
90% of you are clueless, the 10% that aren't a tier list does not pertain to anyway. fox is not ss he's 50/50 marth, sheik is above marth, sheik has needles, and has slight higher favour across all the cast on average. they function very similarly, she also favoured against marth. a tier list ought to be based on character functions in relation to the cast and not based on what people think imo. seems like they tossed all that went into the 2013 list which imo was hardly off aside from perhaps pika and yoshi. an extra S does nothing but mislead. ignore me if you disagree.
Who is this directed towards? The voters or those discussing in this thread? Cuz we pretty much all disagree with the whole SS Fox things.

Schill

Smash Rookie
I didn't read the whole thread (hell it may even be in the OP) and it was probably in here but I saw on the fox boards that the guy that made the list said that before he made it, people wanted a numerical division of tiers. That's how fox became a tier above the next three.

I don't think fox should be SS but people wanted a tier list with calculated tier divisions and the product was precisely that

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I don't think fox should be SS but people wanted a tier list with calculated tier divisions and the product was precisely that
They weren't actually calculated though. The metadata of the findings (like the 1.0 next to fox) means little imo. To those constructing the list, a unanimous vote for fox at #1 equates to him deserving his own tier, end of story. But I have a nagging suspicion that they wouldn't dream of giving Kirby or bowser their own tier had they been voted unanimously at #26, so this seems inconsistent. My stance is that the votes only tell us which character is #1, not by how much, and that the percentage of people voting for fox over falco means very little. The best characters are the most well known and most extensively optimized characters. This game is old. It's no secret that Fox is #1 guys. We know that. So how does a unanimous vote for fox mean anything at all? It's voting on something that is already accepted (by virtually everyone). The decision for tier gap placement should be different than determining the order of the list. What if all the voters answered the question "Do you think Fox is so much better than falco, marth, and sheik, in terms of results AND potential, that he deserves his own tier?" ?? I think that would tell you more than drawing conclusions off data that isn't really helpful.

Last edited:

Corgi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corgi-of-Time
I'm not a competitive Melee player, and never have claimed to be, so coming from the standpoint of someone who considers themselves solely a spectator, I agree with the tiers entirely. As the meta continues to evolve, it will only become more concrete. After more than a decade of tournament results, I think these tiers are becoming less an opinionated rank and more objectively fact.

When it comes down to individual slots, the differences are negligible and likely to vary. I wonder if Sm4sh will go through this process as it ages, too?

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
I think the funny part about fox being SS is how many doofs are still arguing about it therefore driving up traffic and ad clicks.

Perhaps it was a conspiracy for the site to get more page views from gullibles with nothing better to do.

If someone new comes in to beat the dead horse leave it alone...no matter how bored you are.
Half this thread seems to be the same discussion over and over.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I think the funny part about fox being SS is how many doofs are still arguing about it therefore driving up traffic and ad clicks.

Perhaps it was a conspiracy for the site to get more page views from gullibles with nothing better to do.

If someone new comes in to beat the dead horse leave it alone...no matter how bored you are.
Half this thread seems to be the same discussion over and over.
It's almost like this thread is dedicated to discussing the new tier list... hmmmm

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
Hey if you guys like saying the same exact thing over and over and have nothing better to do, have at it.

But it makes for a very boring lame thread. Not really a discussion since nothing new has been contributed for a while. Just keeps repeating.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Hey if you guys like saying the same exact thing over and over and have nothing better to do, have at it.

But it makes for a very boring lame thread. Not really a discussion since nothing new has been contributed for a while. Just keeps repeating.
I see you've contributed nothing. Maybe if you do, it won't contain spam or name-calling this time. I sincerely apologize that this thread didn't tantalize you with entertainment, but it would probably be worth keeping posts on-topic so that it doesn't get closed.

Brash Candihoot

Smash Cadet
I see you've contributed nothing. Maybe if you do, it won't contain spam or name-calling this time. I sincerely apologize that this thread didn't tantalize you with entertainment, but it would probably be worth keeping posts on-topic so that it doesn't get closed.
Neither have you in your past 3 posts besides just responding in quite a predictable manner. Probably would have been wisest to not respond at all.

Honestly though if you look at this whole page before I even posted. Literally nothing worth reading and unfortunately the pages before hold little more substance than a similar thread in YouTube comments would. Feels like I wasted my time going through them :ohwell:

But that's my fault since I probably set my expectations a bit high for the caliber of discussion I figured might take place in this thread.

As for the tier list I think it's fine. Fox being SS isn't a big deal, yoshi is a spot or 2 too high, I think bowser should be dead last and link should be above DK.

Well, sorry to interrupt I'll stop posting here now.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Fox is not good enough to be in his own tier. That's absolutely ridiculous.

The cycle has repeated.

Top Bottom