• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Toon Link support thread, home to the Knights of the Drowned Kingdom!

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Why are you going out of your way trying to convince people that Cell Shaded Link shouldn't be in Brawl? It's pointless, people like the character, it wouldn't be a waste, etc, etc, etc.
You can say the same about all the other characters that many don't like. People like them and some of them wouldn't be a waste neither. People do what they do. This is something that will never stop on Smashboards, so get used to it

vesperview

Smash Hero
You can say the same about all the other characters that many don't like. People like them and some of them wouldn't be a waste neither. People do what they do. This is something that will never stop on Smashboards, so get used to it
You're only bringing space and memory on the game as your argument, lol, I've been here longer than you, you should get used to the fact that unless you have an actual argument or something good to say, you really shouldn't post at all. Wind Waker Link, should be in Brawl due to his uniqueness and the fact that he can actually has a lot of items to pick a moveset from.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You're only bringing space and memory on the game as your argument, lol, I've been here longer than you, you should get used to the fact that unless you have an actual argument or something good to say, you really shouldn't post at all.
I don't care how long you've been here. As I've said other series deserving reps(newer, older, and the ones that only have 1 rep) and rather than giving the space to another Link you could give it to those series that need it. You should get used to the fact that you can't control me or my actions or when or what I post. I have a right to share my opinion and if you don't like it, that's your problem.

vesperview

Smash Hero
So according to you, Cell Shaded Link shouldn't be in Brawl because:

- There could not be enough space for him.
- He could take the spot of another character.
- He is just another Link.

Please, if you came here to post that, you really don't have any business here.

NESJake

Smash Apprentice
I'm a huge Zelda fan, but I don't really like the idea. I know Mr. Game & Watch is in brawl, but it wouldn't match the theme of the game and the other characters. I'm not denying the possiblilty of him being in it. We already saw different graphical styles with assist trophies like the advance wars one. Well, if he's in it, I'll welcome him.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
So according to you, Cell Shaded Link shouldn't be in Brawl because:

- There could not be enough space for him.
- He could take the spot of another character.
- He is just another Link.

Please, if you came here to post that, you really don't have any business here.
1. Possibly only time will tell if there is
2. Other characters deserve the spot more, sure he may have had a successful game, but there's nothing wrong with a stage, item or AT for representation
3. Which he is. If he's not exactly the same he's still Link. Why don't we start adding other forms of other characters since their games were successful too? It's not going to happen and I doubt their going to give LOZ any special treatment.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Then stop using that as an argument.

2. Other characters deserve the spot more, sure he may have had a successful game, but there's nothing wrong with a stage, item or AT for representation.
Opinion

3. Which he is. If he's not exactly the same he's still Link. Why don't we start adding other forms of other characters since their games were successful too? It's not going to happen and I doubt their going to give LOZ any special treatment.
Cell Shaded Link =/= Any other Link

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Then stop using that as an argument.
I can use any argument I please

Let me rephrase. There are series that have yet to be repped(FACT). Some series(Metroid, Mother, FE, etc.) only have 1 rep, but have other candidates that can easily become PCs(FACT)

Cell Shaded Link =/= Any other Link
Wrong. Cell Shaded what? Cell Shaded LINK. Young what? Young LINK. Whatever isn't convince you to think it isn't another type of Link? It has Link in it's name. Sure it's not exactly the same, but it's another Link. Should we give LOZ special treatment and let them have another Link form, when you could very well give other characters their other forms too and waste even more space?

vesperview

Smash Hero
I can use any argument I please
Unless you're 100% sure of what you're saying then NO.

Let me rephrase. There are series that have yet to be repped(FACT). Some series(Metroid, Mother, FE, etc.) only have 1 rep, but have other candidates that can easily become PCs(FACT)
And what even makes you think the inclusion of Cell Shaded Link can even affect those characters's chances?

Wrong. Cell Shaded what? Cell Shaded LINK. Young what? Young LINK. Whatever isn't convince you to think it isn't another type of Link? It has Link in it's name. Sure it's not exactly the same, but it's another Link. Should we give LOZ special treatment and let them have another Link form, when you could very well give other characters their other forms too and waste even more space?
I meant, Cell Shaded Link =/= TP Link, the one that is in Brawl and it is by far not special treatment, if anything it's just the treatment the series deserves.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
2. Other characters deserve the spot more, sure he may have had a successful game, but there's nothing wrong with a stage, item or AT for representation
Seriously it's the same argument every time. Why don't you name who you think is more deserving than Young Link? He would not hinder the chances of any of the series you mentioned at all. Also, he didn't have just one successful game. Phantom Hourglass has been drawing comparisons to Ocarina of Time in its level of revolutionary game play. And he's not still Link. If you play the games you'll realize they have the same destiny, but they're from separate universes. Zelda has been changed to accommodate both these series, so why would Sakurai ignore it? Moreover, you're saying add different versions of other characters too. This isn't like Dr. Mario, where he puts on a doctor's outfit and shoots pills instead of fireballs. This Link is a different person from the other one of the same name.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Unless you're 100% sure of what you're saying then NO..
Oh well.

And what even makes you think the inclusion of Cell Shaded Link can even affect those characters's chances?.
The roster number, though unknown, makes me think it would affect those characters chances. Be generous and give the spots to the necessary characters first, before going back and adding other forms of characters.

I meant, Cell Shaded Link =/= TP Link, the one that is in Brawl and it is by far not special treatment, if anything it's just the treatment the series deserves.
They only gave Link an upgrade as all, just as they did with other characters. All the characters have some type of change or upgrade(new looks and designs). Doesn't really mean they are going to do it twice for one character just to make another form of it, no matter how successful the game was because then they'd do it for other characters(possibly why we know nothing of Shiek, she's another form of Zelda).

Seriously it's the same argument every time. Why don't you name who you think is more deserving than Young Link? He would not hinder the chances of any of the series you mentioned at all. Also, he didn't have just one successful game. Phantom Hourglass has been drawing comparisons to Ocarina of Time in its level of revolutionary game play. And he's not still Link. If you play the games you'll realize they have the same destiny, but they're from separate universes. Zelda has been changed to accommodate both these series, so why would Sakurai ignore it? Moreover, you're saying add different versions of other characters too. This isn't like Dr. Mario, where he puts on a doctor's outfit and shoots pills instead of fireballs. This Link is a different person from the other one of the same name.
What makes you so sure of him not hindering the chances of any of the series I mention? He could have an affect, but only if he was to become a character. I know he didn't have just one successful game, we were talking about 1 in particular. You can try to say he isn't Link because of him being different in the stories or whatever, but he is still in fact Link whether he's the same one or not

vesperview

Smash Hero
Young Link was only a clone in Melee due to time constraints, he could've perfectly had a unique moveset based on Majora's Mask, again, there is no good argument against Cell Shaded Link, he would be a completely different character, he would represent his three games, which are very important elements of the Zelda series, plus, he has three games to pick his moves from for God's sake, I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to see him before some other characters, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed either.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
What exactly do you consider a necessary character?

This isn't just a one hit wonder though, this is part of one of Nintendo's flagship series.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Young Link was only a clone in Melee due to time constraints, he could've perfectly had a unique moveset based on Majora's Mask, again, there is no good argument against Cell Shaded Link, he would be a completely different character, he would represent his three games, which are very important elements of the Zelda series, plus, he has three games to pick his moves from for God's sake, I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to see him before some other characters, but I wouldn't be terribly disappointed either.
I know this already. As I said before, once other characters have been confirmed and they feel they want to add more, then add him. I tried to come up with an idea to implement him in the game, but I guess you just disregarded the idea instead of telling me what you thought of it.

What exactly do you consider a necessary character?

This isn't just a one hit wonder though, this is part of one of Nintendo's flagship series.
Characters that aren't different forms of the same character, a character who will give 1 more rep to a series that only has 1(Metriod, etc.), or a character that has a good chance to become a PC and has yet to rep its own series(the newer and retro series)

Stryks

Smash Hero
1.- Stickers
Characters
SSE
stages
Build ur own stage
video recording

ALL of this and U THINK they can add just ONE more character... Seriously sakurai has had his final roster for MONTHS, heck maybe even over a year, u REALLY think he didnt messure the size of the disk, all the content he added and all of that to make sure everything fits? GTFO

2.- I think havent noticed, but the WW-like style of link is the new ERA of link, exdplain why since WWs release ALL of the portable zelda games and a few GC games have used the WW style? its the new young link, this guy would represent all the young links out there, its a perfect fit, I mean smash is about crazy action, but at the same time not voilent, more kid firendly, and in zelda this link fits like a glove, also he was on the poll, so u KNOW hes popular, especially in Japan

3.- Because all the characters in other series, theyre ALWAYS the same character,all but zelda, they always change, puting WW Link to represent the new era of zelda would be sick, The mario from Galaxy is the same one from the 1st mario, so is samus, so is wario, so is sonic and so on... NOT the zelda series...

Also using items from the portable games like the digging claws for sickmelee hits, the deku leaf to float, and blow a gust in the ground, hurrican spin for a side b similair to yoshi, also he fights WAY diferent from the TP link, unlike the OoT link and young link, where theyre THE same link, WW link and TP link are totally diferent in almost every way, true they ARE link, but diferent incarnations bring something diferent, u cant possibly say ALL the links will fight 100% the same... WW link proves this...

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
He can be repped with things other than a PC and make use of those elements. All games can be considered important elements to the series, but we aren't going to add a different Link everytime are we?
1.- Stickers
Characters
SSE
stages
Build ur own stage
video recording

ALL of this and U THINK they can add just ONE more character... Seriously sakurai has had his final roster for MONTHS, heck maybe even over a year, u REALLY think he didnt messure the size of the disk, all the content he added and all of that to make sure everything fits? GTFO

2.- I think havent noticed, but the WW-like style of link is the new ERA of link, exdplain why since WWs release ALL of the portable zelda games and a few GC games have used the WW style? its the new young link, this guy would represent all the young links out there, its a perfect fit, I mean smash is about crazy action, but at the same time not voilent, more kid firendly, and in zelda this link fits like a glove, also he was on the poll, so u KNOW hes popular, especially in Japan

3.- Because all the characters in other series, theyre ALWAYS the same character,all but zelda, they always change, puting WW Link to represent the new era of zelda would be sick, The mario from Galaxy is the same one from the 1st mario, so is samus, so is wario, so is sonic and so on... NOT the zelda series...

Also using items from the portable games like the digging claws for sickmelee hits, the deku leaf to float, and blow a gust in the ground, hurrican spin for a side b similair to yoshi, also he fights WAY diferent from the TP link, unlike the OoT link and young link, where theyre THE same link, WW link and TP link are totally diferent in almost every way, true they ARE link, but diferent incarnations bring something diferent, u cant possibly say ALL the links will fight 100% the same... WW link proves this...
1. This does not mean he can't change his mind on what he already has and I'm sure he knows what can fit and what can't. He can put however many characters as he won't but I'm sure it won't be that high of a number. TYVM
2. Most if not all of this part is opinion.
3. Ok an exception to only 1 series, only b/c of the way it is made, so what? They can be repped with a stage, AT, or item(I don't see what's so bad about that) I also already know that they won't fight exactly alike 100%, no character in this game does.

Stryks

Smash Hero
1. This does not mean he can't change his mind on what he already has and I'm sure he knows what can fit and what can't. He can put however many characters as he won't but I'm sure it won't be that high of a number. TYVM
2. Most if not all of this part is opinion.
3. Ok an exception to only 1 series, only b/c of the way it is made, so what? They can be repped with a stage, AT, or item(I don't see what's so bad about that) I also already know that they won't fight exactly alike 100%, no character in this game does.
1.- And it doesnt mean hes gonna do it our way and not add him because U think hes just another link, with u being closed minded and all, he can add him if he wants, and being on the poll, his chances are high...

2.- Wait and u saying hes JUST another link, when hes so much more isnt?

3.- So whats the problem? hes diferent, just because he has link in his name u reject him inmediately, they added Y.link in melee, and now that y.link HAS originality and a new look, they can add him when he was the exact link from OoT only younger?

vesperview

Smash Hero
He can be repped with things other than a PC and make use of those elements. All games can be considered important elements to the series, but we aren't going to add a different Link everytime are we?
We? I forgot when you were the one designing the game. Sakurai can add three Links if he wants, just because you don't want another Link doesn't mean there won't be, specially when he would be a completely unique character.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
1.- And it doesnt mean hes gonna do it our way and not add him because U think hes just another link, with u being closed minded and all, he can add him if he wants, and being on the poll, his chances are high...

2.- Wait and u saying hes JUST another link, when hes so much more isnt?

3.- So whats the problem? hes diferent, just because he has link in his name u reject him inmediately, they added Y.link in melee, and now that y.link HAS originality and a new look, they can add him when he was the exact link from OoT only younger?
1. This can apply to you too. It doesn't mean he'll do it your either and add him. Sure
he's on the poll, but I've seen people on the poll get deconfirmed before and this wouldn't be a different story
2. No, but I know this is a new design and etc. Other than this, it's all your opinion
3. This is Brawl not Melee, things are already said to be different.

We? I forgot when you were the one designing the game. Sakurai can add three Links if he wants, just because you don't want another Link doesn't mean there won't be, specially when he would be a completely unique character.
Oh I forgot you were too. Sakurai can choose not to add 3 Links just as he may choose to include them(just b/c you want one doesn't mean it'll happen either), so I don't see where your going with this one. If I'm not mistaken every character can be unique in their own way.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Oh I forgot you were too. Sakurai can choose not to add 3 Links just as he may choose to include them(just b/c you want one doesn't mean it'll happen either), so I don't see where your going with this one. If I'm not mistaken every character can be unique in their own way.
Stop turning the tables on this argument, you're the one completely dismissing the character, the odds are in his favor despite you liking it or not.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Stop turning the tables on this argument, you're the one completely dismissing the character, the odds are in his favor despite you liking it or not.
Why can't I turn the tables? Your bringing up arguments like "Your not Sakurai"(it can be used against anyone), if you don't want me to turn the tables don't use the argument. Sure the odds are in his favor, but that won't change my opinion about him.

Stryks

Smash Hero
1.- I know, but guys that have been deconfirmed are not as important as WW link, hes the new y.link that represents all the portable games, seriously thats BIG

2.- Its more than just a new design, its the new y.link, and this link has gotten a lot of popularity especially japan, where it matters for games like smash...

3.- Exactly, where they added y.link being the same link as adult, only younger, and being a clone, in brawl they can add the WW style y.link, which is diferent form the TP one, and would rep the portable games as a bonus...

vesperview

Smash Hero
Why can't I turn the tables? Your bringing up arguments like "Your not Sakurai"(it can be used against anyone), if you don't want me to turn the tables don't use the argument. Sure the odds are in his favor, but that won't change my opinion about him.
You're turning the tables because you don't have any arguments in your favor, saying "Oh, why would Sakurai even add another Link? he is wasting space for another characters." I'm not saying he is a giveaway, but you shouldn't dismiss him altogether just for being another incarnation of Link.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
You're turning the tables because you don't have any arguments in your favor, saying "Oh, why would Sakurai even add another Link? he is wasting space for another characters." I'm not saying he is a giveaway, but you shouldn't dismiss him altogether just for being another incarnation of Link.
Time will tell and we'll see what becomes of him. If I dislike him and he gets in, that's my problem. If not then, oh well, another space left for someone else. Also:

Using your logic, there could be an infinite number of Mario's that have existed throughout the years. Mario, Golf Mario, Soccer Mario, Basketball Mario, Baseball Mario, etc. But do they all get representation? No.

I am NOT saying that WW Link and TW Link are the same person. Being a fan of the Zelda franchise, I know this. But why on Earth would a second person of a similar appearance, story, and legacy be put into this game.

Lastly, the Link in Brawl is not a Link from any game. It is Smash Link. He is completely different from ANY Link in ANY Zelda game. He looks different, and his story in the SSE is probably going to be completely different from that of his games.

It matters because its slapping anyone who wants a diverse roster in the face. If only one could be in, who would you choose? WW Link or Isaac? or Ray 01? or any retro character?

I would go for the latter because they are unique. I honestly think it would be a horrible design flaw to include two characters of the same incarnationous being in Brawl. What would the announcer say? WW Link? Celda? Hero of Winds? Seriously, that is not original.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
I've been here longer than you, you should get used to the fact that unless you have an actual argument or something good to say, you really shouldn't post at all.
This was the STUPIDEST thing I did read in my entire life.
IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

And the fact you're defending my favorite character don't stop me from thinking that!!!

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
The Windwaker link will be the new young link (windwaker model, but still named young link as effort to replace melee YL)

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
Meta_Sonic64(And other people who doesn't like this idea) we understand your argument about WW Link taking a spot of a more deserving series/character who needs rep. Maybe they deserve more rep, but do are they more deserving of becoming a playable character??
Like you said before ATs and stages are perfectly fine to represent a serie/character that hasnt' been repped yet or that hasn't gotten enough.

And no, I'm not saying that they should put like 10 characters from popular series (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon), and forget about the others, I'm saying that they should consider putting important and more fitting fighter characters first, rather then looking down the lsit of every Nintendo game ever created and repping each of them with their own character even though they are unnecessary or not fit for a fighting such as Smash bros. And sure they might as well, add Masks Link, Oot Link, LttP Link after, but they don't have the same reasons on why WW Link should be in, so they shouldn't be thought about.

You are stating that WW Link would be a waste of space because he is another Link. Well that can put into different ways. I could honeslty say that G&W is a waste of space because he is just a black stickman figure. However, Melee did a great job giving him a cool moveset and made him a very interesting character, I think he deserves to make it back. That could happen for a character like Balloon Fighter, but who know?

If it's all about making room for other characters from other series who have one or zero rep. Then, might as well take out Luigi (We don't need another looking plumber guy), or take out Jigglypuff (We don't another ball character, and she's not that popular anymore) and make room for a Balloon Fighter and Mach Rider character.
If it's all about having different characters. It's already been said that he is not the same character as TP Link. If it's all about completly different, then they'll have to be more important and more fitting than WW Link.

I keep hearing "to make for ", "to make for ". To make room for who?? You'll have tell us which character/series should there be room for. I've made a list, and I don't see that many important series/characters that deserve to be playable.

vesperview

Smash Hero
This was the STUPIDEST thing I did read in my entire life.
IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

And the fact you're defending my favorite character don't stop me from thinking that!!!
So giving biased arguments and speaking about things you actually have no idea about is ok? Right! Why don't you go back a couple of pages before opening your mouth? :p I was just responding to his previous post, about the redundancy of having another Link in Brawl.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
No, it's just you're using your join date as proof. That's ridiculous. I didn't even really see you posting around here until July or August. You may have made a few posts back in December but you became most active back in July or August. That and you haven't always had the best arguments yourself.

Honestly I've seen members here that have joined in September that always make great arguments. Your join date doesn't matter.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
i cant believe people would rather have another link when they can have a diffrent characters from the zelda series why would you want another link?no matter how you look at it hes STILL LINK

vesperview

Smash Hero
No, it's just you're using your join date as proof. That's ridiculous. I didn't even really see you posting around here until July or August. You may have made a few posts back in December but you became most active back in July or August. That and you haven't always had the best arguments yourself.

Honestly I've seen members here that have joined in September that always make great arguments. Your join date doesn't matter.
I wasn't using it as an argument to begin with, I was just implying he shouldn't really start a discussion with such bad arguments as disc memory and roster number, unless he can back them up, those are not even good arguments against Cell Shaded Link.

Mike966

Smash Cadet
yeah now that sonic is confirmed The caracter I support the most is WW Link.
It would be great, And I don't think he would steal any spot, If falco and ganon return with a new moveset I don't see why WW Link can't return as a Y Link with a new moveset.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
yeah now that sonic is confirmed The caracter I support the most is WW Link.
It would be great, And I don't think he would steal any spot, If falco and ganon return with a new moveset I don't see why WW Link can't return as a Y Link with a new moveset.
but those are diffrent characters there not LINK

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Saying that Y.Link is another link isn't anything really...

If it's about their body, it's like saying Jigglypuff is another Kirby...
Or if the thing is the name, its like saying "Peach" is just another "Pit", or C.Falcon is just another Falcon...

The point is: they have similar names, body and clothes, but WW Link and TP Link ARE different persons, both representing his half of a giant franchise...

Why don't you go back a couple of pages before opening your mouth? :p
No u dont understand its not about couple pages ago, its the thing inside the quote box (that black rectangle with your name in bold) that's the stupidest thing i ever read.

Mike966

Smash Cadet
but those are diffrent characters there not LINK
I know, but it doesnt look like the other link it doesn't have the same items and it even moves different (not to mention he is the first funny link, this point isn't important but it's true). He just wears a green pointy hat which isn't even the same green!

I don't see why can't we have 2 links, really.

vesperview

Smash Hero
No its not about couple pages ago, its the thing inside that quote box that's the stupidest thing i ever read. Wasnt you supposed to know that since you're so old here?
What exactly is so stupid about it? Even some mods say you shouldn't post if you don't have anything good to say, what, you think saying Cell Shaded Link shouldn't be in Brawl because he would waste disc memory is actually a good post to start an argument from? Longevity wasn't my point to begin with.

Mike966

Smash Cadet
What exactly is so stupid about it? Even some mods say you shouldn't post if you don't have anything good to say, what, you think saying Cell Shaded Link shouldn't be in Brawl because he would waste disc memory is actually a good post to start an argument from? Longevity wasn't my point to begin with.
Come on waste of memory, Unless you knoe how to program and you have a lot of info on games don't come with those arguments. Just say you don't like it.

Top Bottom