• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Toon Link support thread, home to the Knights of the Drowned Kingdom!

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
meh, id rather have skull kid as another zelda rep, but i think WW link is my 3rd choice. Zant is my 2nd.
wrong.

I don't support cel-shaded Link. It'd just be weird to have all these highly detailed characters running around, then cel-Link, who's flat.
I do support the younger, REAL Link. Link should have been young in the 64 version. WW Link is the most likely candidate for Brawl's Real Link, so I support him. He just shouldn't be cel-shaded.
donkeypirate said it well.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
I hope they preserve WW Link in all his cell shaded glory just like I hope they preserve Paper Mario in his slender and sexy form. I'm not a graphics *****, I could seriously care less about every character in brawl getting an extreme detail make over. <---(Liked the original Smash Bros. graphics).

WW Link is a hot item who recently starred in Phantom Hourglass. Hes the prime candidate to fill the young Link need and would have such a radically different design, one would assume he wasn't a clone of Link simply by looking at him. That and Twighlight Princess never had a young Link, so adding this one would do no harm.

EricShiznit

Smash Cadet
I think 1 Link is enough.
There are variations to just about every character in brawl, most being separate character (Metal Sonic, Dark Samus, Dr. Mario, Shiny Pikachu, etc...). We definitely don't need more than one of each, and it makes much more sense to put in other characters from those franchises, if need be at all. Young Link and Dr. Mario were cheap and quick. That's it. No one cares about how many games Link has compared to Young Link.

vesperview

Smash Hero
  • "He is just another Link."
    Most common one.
    Cynical reply: Luigi is just another Italian plumber, Falco and Wolf are just more Space Animals, Zamus is just another Samus while Sheik is just another Zelda, and the Jiggernaut is just another puffball.

• Funny cause any of your cynical replies are terrible examples of what you are trying to say, even with different movesets and looks, WW Link IS another Link and that's why people don't want him in Brawl, unlike Zamus and Sheik who are just transformations that don't take space in the selection screen.

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
There are variations to just about every character in brawl, most being separate character (Metal Sonic, Dark Samus, Dr. Mario, Shiny Pikachu, etc...). We definitely don't need more than one of each, and it makes much more sense to put in other characters from those franchises, if need be at all. Young Link and Dr. Mario were cheap and quick. That's it. No one cares about how many games Link has compared to Young Link.
I'm sorry, but I am not about to compare weak characters like Metal Sonic, Dark Samus, & Dr. Mario to the likes of far greater characters such as Paper Mario and WW Link. Both of them led their own unique and successful series of games. Paper Mario and WW Link scream 2nd version worthiness.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Dark Samus is not a Samus variation like WW Link is to Link.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Whew... Sorry for the long post...-__-
It's okay. It was worth it.
That made so little sense I'm not sure how to reply. Throw me a bone here.
Funny cause any of your cynical replies are terrible examples of what you are trying to say, even with different movesets and looks, WW Link IS another Link and that's why people don't want him in Brawl, unlike Zamus and Sheik who are just transformations that don't take space in the selection screen.
You must really value a neat selection screen.
Dark Samus is not a Samus variation like WW Link is to Link.
Actually, those two are wonderfully analogous to one another.
Dark Samus is just another Samus just as much as WW Link is just another Link.
And yes, I know that she's basically something completely different that happened to take the form of Samus.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
It's okay. It was worth it.
Thanks ^.^

Yet, some guys still don't get it... o well, not everybody can think alike.:p

Oh yea, I forgot to mention. Since he was voted 3 times in the Sakurai poll, that boosts his chances even more. Hopefully Sakurai will make the right decision.

WW Link for Brawl!!

Firekid2

Smash Apprentice
I was playing WW two seconds ago, and it made me think that WW Link really deserves to be in Brawl. Think about it. Link has been a teen in only like 4 games. Every other time Link is, like 10. Plus, WW is REALLY important in the future of the LoZ story because it solidfies the split timeline. And while most Links are decendants of the Link in Minish Cap, WW Link is an incarnation. (Meaning he's the same... but different.:laugh:)

PXG

Smash Journeyman
PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! Have Young Link in Brawl. I am a Y. Link Player (he's my main), so he just HAS to be in the game.

Nice OP too. :)

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
The "Another Link" comebacks do not make sense to me. Sure, Luigi may be another Italian Plumber, but is he another MARIO? No. Wolf may be another Space Animal, but is he another FOX? No. Is WW Link another LINK? Yes.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
The "Another Link" comebacks do not make sense to me. Sure, Luigi may be another Italian Plumber, but is he another MARIO? No. Wolf may be another Space Animal, but is he another FOX? No. Is WW Link another LINK? Yes.
Yea he's another Link, but he has about the same differences of the characters you just mentioned. One would be that Link and WW Link are not the same person. Anyways, I've discussed about this a lot with other people, so I'm not gonna say anymore about this.

I don't see why it really matters if 2 Links get in, as long as they play differently than that's fine. Although, there is the exception of taking a place from a character we might not even need.

Anyways, I really hope characters like WW Link and Paper Mario gets in, despite that their character is already in. I can live without, but only if Sakurai gave us a roster with really cool playable characters.

WW Link for Brawl!

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree with the Original Poster so much... the clone issue is so dumb, most the time they are not DIRECT clones of the other guy. Also Windwaker was an awesome game and I could see some great moves made for the new Young Link.

I also agree with Young Link's style. His bow was a lot faster then the regular Link and his down slash was easier to do as well, I would dominate opponents with those moves.

volbound1700

Smash Master
OP made one mistake though.

Windwaker, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass are actually the dark timeline because they are suppose to break off from Ocarina of Time being a different storyline where the link in Ocarina did not stop Ganon in the future from destroying the world. Hard for me to explain because I never really played Ocarina. Just read it at a Zelda site once.

Fawriel

Smash Master
That timeline business is confusing...

As Gotann said, the similarities are of the same category. Similar look, similar position in the story, similar style. I personally do see Falco as just another ugly space animal pilot from a series I don't care much about.
It's a pretty subjective point since you must really get to know a character in their game in order to be able to make a distinction.

But looking at it from the point of who the characters themselves really are, the Link in Brawl is the Link from Twilight Princess, and the Link from Wind Waker and its sequel is a completely different person.
The only similarity I see that Mario-Luigi and Fox-Falco don't have, is that they share a name.

Gerudo Warrior

Smash Master
i don't really like the cartoon style and the hyrule story line of the cel shadw games. it seems that brawl has gone for a more real look. but WW is on my list of games to finish on my GC again. since i bought some new controllers of ebay. so i'm gonna have to say no the idea because of the direction brawl has taken with the models and the fact i don't like the childish appearnce. but good first post it was a good read

aleps

Smash Apprentice
I think that cartoon style would give Brawl a new touch. He has a great chance to be in, along with Midna.

And here is part of a moveset I think would be cool.

---------------------------------------------

B moves
B: Boomerang. If you hold the B button, you can control it for a short time. It can be canceled if you release the button.
B>: Gust Jar. He can suck projectiles and items, and throw them back.
Bv: Skull Hammer. Link puts away his sword and uses the Hammer instead. It is slower but obviously more powerful.
B up: Deku Leaf. It works as Peach's parasol, and in the ground it blows people away.

Tether Recovery and Grabs
With the Grappling Hook

Taunt:
1. He swings the Wind Waker
2. The hat transforms into Ezlo and they do something like this : http://www.cf-network.com/cfan/IMG/jpg/Minish_Cap_12.jpg
3. I don't know... any suggestions? It should be something of PH but I haven't played it, so idk what it could be.

Final Smash (They are somehow bad, I couldn't think of some good ones)
The other 3 Links appear (from Four Swords) and attack the enemies. OR
The stage gets fludded and a hurricane appears, you are able to control it .

On-screen appearance
A whirlwind or the bird from Minish Cap that transported you when you played the ocarina take WWLink into the stage.

Optional
He could glide with the Roc's Cape, but it would be wierd.

---------------------------------------------

What do you think? It can be modified to include something of PH. I saw a video in which he was using the Boomerang, and you could draw its trajectory. Thats why I included it :p

AuraLancer

Smash Journeyman
I just finished up the Goron section of PH and I say Link definitely needs bombchus. They would make a great item.

He sets them on the ground and they run along for a bit with the same ground-hugging properties of Pikachu's thunder jolt before exploding.

I also think he should be launched onto the stage in a barrel just like he was the first time he visited the Forsaken Fortress (Without losing his sword, of course).

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
That timeline business is confusing...

As Gotann said, the similarities are of the same category. Similar look, similar position in the story, similar style. I personally do see Falco as just another ugly space animal pilot from a series I don't care much about.
It's a pretty subjective point since you must really get to know a character in their game in order to be able to make a distinction.

But looking at it from the point of who the characters themselves really are, the Link in Brawl is the Link from Twilight Princess, and the Link from Wind Waker and its sequel is a completely different person.
The only similarity I see that Mario-Luigi and Fox-Falco don't have, is that they share a name.
Using your logic, there could be an infinite number of Mario's that have existed throughout the years. Mario, Golf Mario, Soccer Mario, Basketball Mario, Baseball Mario, etc. But do they all get representation? No.

I am NOT saying that WW Link and TW Link are the same person. Being a fan of the Zelda franchise, I know this. But why on Earth would a second person of a similar appearance, story, and legacy be put into this game.

Lastly, the Link in Brawl is not a Link from any game. It is Smash Link. He is completely different from ANY Link in ANY Zelda game. He looks different, and his story in the SSE is probably going to be completely different from that of his games.

Yea he's another Link, but he has about the same differences of the characters you just mentioned. One would be that Link and WW Link are not the same person. Anyways, I've discussed about this a lot with other people, so I'm not gonna say anymore about this.

I don't see why it really matters if 2 Links get in, as long as they play differently than that's fine. Although, there is the exception of taking a place from a character we might not even need.

Anyways, I really hope characters like WW Link and Paper Mario gets in, despite that their character is already in. I can live without, but only if Sakurai gave us a roster with really cool playable characters.

WW Link for Brawl!
It matters because its slapping anyone who wants a diverse roster in the face. If only one could be in, who would you choose? WW Link or Isaac? or Ray 01? or any retro character?

I would go for the latter because they are unique. I honestly think it would be a horrible design flaw to include two characters of the same incarnationous being in Brawl. What would the announcer say? WW Link? Celda? Hero of Winds? Seriously, that is not original.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Lastly, the Link in Brawl is not a Link from any game. It is Smash Link. He is completely different from ANY Link in ANY Zelda game. He looks different, and his story in the SSE is probably going to be completely different from that of his games.
*raises an eyebrow*
He's completely different from any Link although he looks like the Link from TP, sounds like him and uses the exact same tools?

*shrugs* I can see where you are coming from, though. WW Link could add something unique to the game, but the fact that he's one of "the Links", so to speak, does make him a bit stale. In the end, I guess it all just depends on what Sakurai thinks is best for the series.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
..................................................................................................yea....sure...

It matters because its slapping anyone who wants a diverse roster in the face. If only one could be in, who would you choose? WW Link or Isaac? or Ray 01? or any retro character?
Personally, I would choose WW Link because I enjoy him more as a character, and his game was one of my favorites. But I do think more orginal characters should have first priority. Yea, it is true that wanting WW Link is pretty much slapping someone who wants an original roster, but if they want boring characters, characters not fit for fighting game, or a character just for the meaning of representing their game over WW Link, then I really really don't mind the slap.
(Animal Crosser, Balloon Fighter, Capt. Olimar, etc.)

I would go for the latter because they are unique. I honestly think it would be a horrible design flaw to include two characters of the same incarnationous being in Brawl. What would the announcer say? WW Link? Celda? Hero of Winds? Seriously, that is not original.
Horrible desing flaw?? I'm not sure about that, but I think it would be wrong to only focus on TP when there is another great Zelda game that came way before it and had also a succesful sequel on DS. Not too mention that that Link has more potential of becoming a great and interesting character among other Zelda characters.
And they would call him Young Link, plain and simple. Just like they did when they did included Young Link in melee.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I used to think this... but paying attention to Sakurai's update on his moves, it's obvious that he's styled after TP Link. Unfortunately that might mean that there's room for one more Link. *sighs*

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
OP made one mistake though.

Windwaker, Minish Cap, Phantom Hourglass are actually the dark timeline because they are suppose to break off from Ocarina of Time being a different storyline where the link in Ocarina did not stop Ganon in the future from destroying the world. Hard for me to explain because I never really played Ocarina. Just read it at a Zelda site once.

Wind waker takes place in the Adult timeline , where Link stopped, and sealed Ganon in the sacred Realm.
TP takes place at the same time as WW , but on the parallel child timeline, in which Ganon never gets the chance to take over Hyrule.

I'd like WW to appear. Sure , he's another Link, but his moveset could be completely different. His skin would also be relatively different. Though they could always put him in the pyjamas he wore at the start of WW.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
We do not need a WW Link. He's another form of Link. It's a waste of a character space that could go to more deserving reps of other games. It should just be Zelda, Link, and Ganon. That's all. We don't need another Link

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
We do not need a WW Link. He's another form of Link. It's a waste of a character space that could go to more deserving reps of other games. It should just be Zelda, Link, and Ganon. That's all. We don't need another Link
I agree 100%.

I'm holding out hope that those are Sakurai's thoughts as well.

Gotann

Smash Apprentice
sigh* Always the same old phrase and reason.. the one and only reason why some people think he shouldn't be in brawl.
And it's funny how people think that this little reason, on why he shouldn't be in, beats the 10 other reason, on why he should be in.:ohwell:

And people keep saying that he'd be taking the place of more deserving reps from other game and maybe that's true. If that's the case, considering that the roster would be around 40, then people should be able to list 20 nintendo characters (That haven't been announced yet) that are more important, more interesting, or more fitted for a fighting game than WW Link. If you can't then I see no problem of having WW Link.
Some characters I have in mind that you shouldn't bother putting up:
Zelda:
- Vaati
- Midna
- Skull Kid
- Tetra
Other:
- Animal Crosser
- Balloon Fighter
- Waluigi
- Wolf

But seriously guys, do you really want a character just to get a certain game repped, or do you actually like the character and think that'd he would make a great character. And do you really because a random or not as important character is different that he'd have more chance of getting in then WW Link.
This is why ATs are here, to still be able to rep a certain game or character even though they are not fit to be characters or wouldn't probably be as great as others.
Ex. I think that the AC stage plus the resetti AT makes AC represented quite well.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
This is why ATs are here, to still be able to rep a certain game or character even though they are not fit to be characters or wouldn't probably be as great as others.
Exactly. That's why Wind Waker should get an AT and/or stage for representation. A character, especially another Link, is not needed.

volbound1700

Smash Master
There are several links actually, not sure of exact order but here is different ones

1. 4 Swords Link

2. NES Link (LoZ and AoL) may be in one of the Gameboy ones as well

3. SNES Link and Gameboy Link (Oracle of Seasons etc.) although some debate Oracles came after Majora and it is the Majora/Ocarina Link that did those quests. SNES Link is the one in Minish Cap

4. Twilight Princess Link

5. Windwaker/Phantom Hourglass Link

6. Ocarina/Major Masks Link

I count six of them likely.

Mario = Luigi. WW Link = more important than Luigi to respective franchise.

Sonic is just another Jigglypuff! Meta is just another Kirby!

Seriously that argument fails so dont use it.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
Ok, since they have more than one Link, let's re-add Dr. Mario, wait, don't stop there. Let's add Frog Mario, Bee Mario, Boo Mario, should I keep going? We don't need 2 of one character. It's simple, if he needs a rep he should get an At or stage not a character.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Ok, since they have more than one Link, let's re-add Dr. Mario, wait, don't stop there. Let's add Frog Mario, Bee Mario, Boo Mario, should I keep going? We don't need 2 of one character. It's simple, if he needs a rep he should get an At or stage not a character.
What compelled you to even say this? Do you think your version of the same old argument that every other person has already had their take on is really brilliant enough to warrant wasting both of our times? Personally, I'd give it a 5/10. The idea was okay, but the execution could use some work. Also, using paragraphs would've worked to separate the two different parts.

Oh, and your argument sucks. But I won't bother with that. I wrote the original post and that's all I'm going to say about the subject.
See you on confirmation day, have a nice time until then! *waves*

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
What compelled you to even say this? Do you think your version of the same old argument that every other person has already had their take on is really brilliant enough to warrant wasting both of our times? Personally, I'd give it a 5/10. The idea was okay, but the execution could use some work. Also, using paragraphs would've worked to separate the two different parts.

Oh, and your argument sucks. But I won't bother with that. I wrote the original post and that's all I'm going to say about the subject.
See you on confirmation day, have a nice time until then! *waves*
LOL, I'll be waiting outside your house with a huge FAIL sign when he's not a PC. He'll turn out to be a sticker

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
What if confirmation day never comes? ;)

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
If Dr Mario could have as a distinct moveset from Mario , Like WW Link has the possibility of achieving, then I say there's no problem with bringing DR Mario back.

However, Dr Mario is the same person as Mario ( I believe) The very fact that WW Link is a completely different being from TP Link "technically" defeats the " same character" argument. The only similarity they'd share would be the appearance of their skin. Even that could be completely different. He wouldn't possess the Hylian Shield , and wouldn't need to possess the Master Sword.

Also , Young Link is often considered to be the true Link. LOZ was originally about a young boy going off to save the world , not a young adult. Adult Link is only used these days because everyone goes crazy for Adult Link. Why's it so un-thinkable for the True Link to represent the various different games of TLOZ Adult Link can't?

He doesn't even need to cover only WW. He could cover WW/PH/Minish cap/FS/FSA. All games in which Young Link appeared in hi respective Cel-shaded graphics.

Then its still a stupid argument.

And if we are going to add WW Link lets add Luigi while we are at it! And Falco, and Jiggly and another sword wielder! O wait.

Seriously that argument holds no ground. They are less similar than Luigi and Mario FFS.

Top Bottom