• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Falco

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Welcome to the official Smashboards Standard Custom Set project. In brief, this project is designed to be a logistical solution to using custom movesets in tournaments by filling many of the in-game slots with the most popular and powerful sets for each character so they can be quickly selected without further 3ds import. This will allow tournaments with customizations on to save large amounts of time throughout the event. More details about the project's ideas and mission can be found here:

http://smashboards.com/threads/project-proposal-we-can-make-custom-moves-fast-easy-and-legal.379555/

Our goal here is to find out what the most popular and powerful sets are for your particular character the best way we know how: asking you the mains of this character. To be clear, we're not talking about disallowing any particular custom sets or even imposing any rules in general; we're talking about making sure the popular and powerful options are simply accessible quickly in a tournament environment as our sole mission. We need up to three critical sets that represent the best options your character has that have wide general utility and from there to fill up to slot 6 with supplemental movesets that will cover less mainstream, more match-up specific, or even teams sets. Slots 7 and 8 are reserved for 2222 and 3333 to allow all moves to be explored more easily in the new metagame, and slots 9 and 10 are left open for 3ds import of non-standard sets.

Please list all movesets in the order NSUD, that is neutral special, side special, up special, and down special. This four digit code will be the naming convention so players can quickly and easily identify which moveset is which.

I know for many characters the default moveset, 1111, is a powerful and useful option. However, it should not be included; the game allows default to be picked regardless of what custom options are prepared so including it does not add any additional options to players.

I further know that some characters may find six slots a large number to fill. Others may find six very limiting. Do your best to pick out the overall six most likely to be picked even if some good stuff has to be left on the table or if some more experimental sets have to be included to fill out six. Every set included is time saved in tournament when that set would be picked, and we want to make the best use we can of these slots.

I would ask that everyone please be respectful of each other's opinions; this game is young, and the metagame is still very much forming so we are likely to each perceive it differently. This project will be revisited throughout the game's lifespan and revised to properly include the most mainstream movesets at the time. What we want for now is what will be commonly selected for now, and don't worry, other options are not being discriminated against as those last two slots are left open for 3ds transfer for a reason. This first version of this project will be refined throughout the rest of the year, but I hope to have a very rough draft up and usable by December 5 so TOs who wish to use the results of this project will have something to plug in for that weekend's worth of events. Thank you for your cooperation in this project, and we look forward to making sure the most useful options are quickly available for your character under this system.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
Gee, sure is booooring around here...

Does anyone have thoughts on N2? I personally love using it to discourage people with extra reach over me. It's also interesting in that it replaces his regular laser during throws; does anyone see more practical application there, or does it seem purely aesthetic?

HappyDad

Smash Rookie
I use 2133. The explosive blaster is an amazing spacing tool, even when it doesn't connect. And when it does, it often results in a free smash or grab. His regular blaster is just too slow to have the same kind of utility it once had; it's time for a game changer.

Distant Firebird because honestly why the hell not. I don't think I would even use Falco if he didn't have this. The con of extra charge time is far outweighed by the pro of making Falco's recovery one of the best in the game. He's got a couple great moves for gimping offstage too, so having distant firebird allows him to go deeper than ever before (That sounds bad).

Finally, I use Reflector Void, because it can still reflect physical projectiles, and it becomes a very fast killing move. Both of the other reflectors are great options as well, but I love being able to throw the reflector out in a jam to get some space between my opponent and I.

Neerb

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3308-4587-7068
I used to run 1131 or 2131, but I gave the Void some extensive use last night and fell in love with it. It's so satisfying just to smack people around with it.

The sets AA has listed on the home thread right now are as follows:

Critical Sets:

Supplemental Sets:

The big question: are the Falco users of this board willing to accept these 6 sets as standard, or should any be replaced?

I definitely second 2133 as a heavier-yet-tougher Falco, probably replacing 1132/1122 (I don't care for Accel-Reflector) or 3123. I get he wanted an N3 set for variety, but Falco's fox-gun is complete useless trash imo.

Last edited:

HappyDad

Smash Rookie
Yeah, I think 2133 should replace one of the supplemental sets.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
How come I see so many people support the explosive blaster? Legitimately curious because the lack of range turns me away from it.

I personally prefer the air Burst Blaster, default Phantasm, Reflector Void and I'm still debating which up b is the best to go with. Fast Fire Bird pretty much saves you from being gimped during charging but the distance is less while Distant Fire Bird is the opposite. Fast seems to have the most use on stage since you can quickly get in and out of character ranges with it (although maybe Phantasm is better for that) while Distant allows you to recover from further away which also means further edge guards.

As for my blaster preference, I like forcing my opponent to approach while tacking on damage. The default blaster is too slow and easily shielded so you're lucky if you get a hit with it (although I do like it for attempting gimps) and the exploding one doesn't have the range. With the Fox-esque one, it fires too fast for your opponent to shield them and because it doesn't flinch they'd rather take the damage and try to attack. I suppose the exploding one is good for characters who can duck/crawl under the other blaster types :/

So, in numbers my preference is 3123 or 3133.

Soshii

Villageoise
NNID
kvlasco
3DS FC
1134-7845-8828
I personally use 1133, which is regular laser, regular phantasm, the Distant Fire Bird up B and the void reflector. The longer charge-up time for the Distant Fire Bird is extremely miniscule and lets you chase drastically deeper off-stage. The Void Reflector is great, it makes Pacman's hydrant disappear completely and still reflects some projectiles for some reason. If you do the true combo Dthrow > Fair > Reflector, it lets you lead into more aerials as it knocks them into the air instead of knocking them back or tripping them. I still prefer Falco's normal lasers for the little knockback/stun it gives. It stops characters from charging their projectiles, like Robin's Thoron, Lucario's aura sphere and Samus' charge beam.

VivoArdente

Smash Rookie
I would agree about wanting 2133 in there. I think default phantasm is great, no idea why you'd want one that doesn't damage but the fast one could be cool with distant fire bird to offset the lost recovery potentially. That being said, I think xx3x should be the Critical sets. With our heavy weight, I think distant is the better standard. I'm think 1132 and 1133 should be the two criticals. As for supplementals, I'd say swap out 2123 for 2133. Fast fire bird has it's merits certainly, but not as universal as a better recovery that does damage still.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
One thing I noticed about falco phase (the no hit, all invincibility frame side b) is that when short hopped into it on the 3ds version, he glows blue afterwards for a bit or until he makes an action, and has much less endlag than if he used it while grounded. The glow doesn't show on wii u but he does seem to keep the reduced endlag.

This seems like it makes it a valid anti-projectile option. Regular phantasm loses to many projectiles, this one doesn't.

Also explosive blaster is amazing. It has a snare effect if used on an opponent around roll-range, and often hits people inward for combos, or frame traps for grabs.

And combo/kill set-up like that is something falco definitely needs imo

Last edited:

Jabzilla

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jabzilla
3DS FC
3007-8178-1682
I have been using a lot of fast fire bird. It makes Falco's ground game a lot more dangerous. Replace sh phantasm with it and you can cover a lot of ground within much less time.

Charging fast fire bird on the ground covers around 1/3 of a omega stage but charging while short hopping makes you cover 1/2 of an omega stage because you slide that extra distance. Mix both of them up and you can do really solid approaches.

I do understand the love of Distant fire bird since you can make falco's already great off stage game to fantastic. Though I would still pick quick fire bird mainly because it makes his ground game great rather than good and keeping his great off-stage game.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Does Fast Fire Bird or any of the Fire Birds clash with attacks and such? Sometimes if you use Falco Phantasm, you will get hit in the middle of it like a projectile hitting Falco. That or I'm confusing it with with Ike's Quickdraw.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I have been using a lot of fast fire bird. It makes Falco's ground game a lot more dangerous. Replace sh phantasm with it and you can cover a lot of ground within much less time.

Charging fast fire bird on the ground covers around 1/3 of a omega stage but charging while short hopping makes you cover 1/2 of an omega stage because you slide that extra distance. Mix both of them up and you can do really solid approaches.

I do understand the love of Distant fire bird since you can make falco's already great off stage game to fantastic. Though I would still pick quick fire bird mainly because it makes his ground game great rather than good and keeping his great off-stage game.
Fast fire is great for the neutral, and also helps recover in some matchups since it's less gimpable outright.

I also think a FF done into the ground from about full hop height (so you don't get the ground bounce animation, thus less endlag) when it connects, true combos into upsmash/tilt. Very low, but set knockback.

Essentially, when on-stage and neutral is needed (generally all matchups) I think fast might be best, using falco phase for general recovery. It is invincible during that entire, long phase after all. Auto snapping the ledge or spacing for less landing lag seems like a very reliable recovery that you should use every time.

Distant is probably good against characters with lots of horizontal knockback moves, since we'll be put into positions where vertical recovery is needed more often. Like Ganon who also can be more reliably edgeguarded, and we don't really need much more help in the neutral against him as his is quite weak.

Also accele reflector is interesting... It's a quick semi spike that is quick and has a nice disjointed, lingering hitbox, so it might have some consistent use with distant. Seems kind of restricted with fast, though.

As some of you may be away, falco's "explosive blaster" custom tends to hit opponents inward since it goes through them before exploding. Normally this simply leads into a tilt or fsmash, however I suspect much more can be accomplished via frame canceled dair.

I'm woefully incapable of performing this however, but the logic seems sound if I was more adept at falco/frame canceling. Can anyone here test it out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
The current Falco sets are:

These honestly seem pretty good to me as a starting point, seem to cover most of what Falco might want. As I see it, the most logical different ways to go to fill out four more Falco sets...

-More Fast Firebird with different blaster sets, 3123 or 2123 notably.
-Stuff using custom side specials. Default seems clearly best overall, but perhaps the other two have niche uses?
-Default down special sets, 1121 or 1131 notably.

Do any Falcos have thoughts on this?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Frick... There was a thread made on Falco's customs way back in September, early bird, eh? I want to merge the threads, but it would seriously mess everything up since I think it would override the OP, but I'm not sure. The thread contains info on Falco's customs that would help: http://smashboards.com/threads/falco-custom-moves.367971/.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
After getting all of :4falco:'s customs, I found 3133 to be the most offensive based moveset. I'll just give my rationale in the following bullet points:
  • Burst Blaster- Easily the best out of the three for it's spacing. Fast enough to rack up damage and recovering from end lag. His explosive blaster doesn't seem to fit my style. :ohwell:
  • Falco Phantasm- The original Side-B is the most reliable offensively and recovery wise. Falco still retains his spike and horizontal recovery. The other specials don't seem to have any advantages that suit both recovery and damage.
  • Distant Fire Bird- I found this helpful for recovering after a risky edge guard. Even though the longer charge can be gimped, a least he gains some height.
  • Reflector Void- I never found Falco's refelctor useful for its intended purpose but it seems like a good move to trip up opponents. Maybe it has possible edge guard potential?
Granted, these are my general impressions since I play :4fox: on non-custom matches. The 3133 set mostly resembles Fox's offensive style. Any thoughts?

Raijinken

Smash Master
Falco's recovery is as predictable as ever, so I feel like one set with Falco Phase may be good against, say, Pikachu, or other characters who are good at edgeguarding linear recoveries. Otherwise, I generally run 1123 unless my opponent has a good projectile to reflect.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I'm adding this video that was posted in the Falco videos first here. It has Shofu's thoughts on Falco's customs and gameplay of Falco's customs through Shofu and Zef dittoing.
Shofu vs Zef. Falco dittos.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
As someone who uses both default Blaster and Burst but not Explosive I've been wondering something. Would Explosive be the ideal Blaster vs Rosalina? We can't exactly camp her with the other two since Luma either absorbs the shots or GPull nullifies it. I'd imagine GPull nullifies Explosive too but it's used at such close ranges that I doubt it'd happen too often. It goes through Luma which is something the other two don't. For that matter, I'm wondering if any other customs should be used vs Rosa. Both Reflector and Void have uses with the former making her less likely to camp with Shooting Star Bit and the latter sends Luma into tumble and possibly to its death if used near the edge or off stage. I'm not sure which Fire Bird would be best but I'm leaning towards Fast. We can't make too many deep edgeguards against Rosa anyway and the longer the startup of our upb, the easier she can dair us or something else. I would question the Phantasm variants but they are pretty crap. Interesting thing to note is that the initial hitbox of Falco Charge sends Luma into tumble just like Void.

My guess is that 2123 will be our best set vs Rosa and is altogether a decent set since some people altogether like Explosive Blaster. Alternatively, 2121 may be worth considering.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
My limited Falco time tells me the only sets I'd consider on him are 1123, 1133, 3123, 3133. Both upB customs are upgrades depending on matchup and preference, Void Reflector is Void Reflector, and the Fox-like Blaster feels like it has rather low end lag though I haven't formally timed it.
@Conda said that Falco's Burst Blaster does less damage, has less range, and less end lag compared to Fox's default Blaster while Fox's Impact Blaster has less end lag than Falco's default Blaster. I think that's what he said. As for Explosive Blaster, @Shaya used it more for edgeguarding. If anything, Explosive Blaster is like Burst Grenade or Gravity Grenade - that's the one that pulls you in, right?

Disclaimer: All of this is based on some use of the customs and observations; I just unlocked most of them today, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Accele-Reflector is weird... It looks faster, but I believe it's slower since it comes out at frame 7 instead of frame 5 like default Reflector and I think it might have slight less end lag to compensate. The lowered knockback, however, kills it. I wouldn't use even against Duck Hunt, Link, Toon Link, etc. because of that lack of knockback. Reflector Void - it's not Void Reflector for some reason since when I unlocked it, the move was called Reflector Void -, however, has a use for kills, especially as another aerial kill option and the knockback is great, but Falco will have to rely on Ftilt (frame 6) and Dtilt (frame 7) for faster, safer spacing now since it comes out at frame 9.

Then there's Falco Phase which I feel like is play style dependent and probably match up dependent. Some people don't care for Falco Phantasm's meteor and damage, so they might want an I-frame dash. I could it being used against say, Duck Hunt to go through their projectiles at the right time, but I don't know about the end lag and landing lag. As for recovering, it's probably the safest option since Falco won't be hit at all, but being able to meteor and punish someone for messing up their off stage follow up is nice. And then there's Falco Charge. Why? Fox Burst is better because of the explosion, right? Hell, why not give Falco the opposite of Wolf Flash and have him go diagonally downwards like Wizard's Dropkick and call it Falco Dive or Falco Swoop or something?

For me, 1111 would work whenever since it doesn't have much of an issue, but I would run something with X12X or X22X since it would allow him to access to two burst movements. Default Blaster (1) and Burst (3) would be dependent on the player. Some people want the hit stun and other want the fast DPS. Default Reflector (1) and Reflector (3) are sort of dependent on play style, but more dependent on match up. For one, I might take default against Captain Falcon and Sonic because of their speed and having a ranged and fast spacer would be nice, but I would take Reflector Void for Ganondorf and Fox since Ganondorf's lack of projectiles and being able to launch him would be nice and Fox won't be camping much like Link and even then, it might be negligible, so damage and knockback would be better.

For deep, off-stage gameplay, it'd be X13X and X23X or X11X and X21X. Why default Fire Bird? Some characters attack fast and it might not be worth it to have that chance of screwing up and charging a Distant Fire Bird only for them to come back and gimp you or you're off stage and they can gimp you quickly. Case in point, Captain Falcon, the Pits, Luigi, and Ganondorf. It might be better to stay on stage with them while against say, Mega Man, Greninja?, and Mario, it might be all right to have a slow recovery. Granted, Falco shouldn't be recovering too close to the stage because of stage strikes, but at the right angle and the right distance, they would never want to go that deep and lose a stock because they were desperate and/or greedy for a kill.

Hmm... I should post this in the Falco customs thread...

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
I've been switching between 1123, 1133 and 1121 depending on the matchup. If you're fighting a character who isn't gonna use a lot of projectiles, I think Reflector 3 is just fine. Fast Fire Bird is for matchups where you're gonna want to stay on the ground, and Distant is for when you need to go the extra mile for gimps.

I keep a set with Fast Fire Bird and default Reflector in case I find a matchup where that's preferred, for example Mega Man. Reflector 3 is still a recommended option against someone like Villager, who could turn reflected projectiles against you. And well, I just really find a lot of usage with Fast Fire Bird. :)

Quickhero

Smash Ace
NNID
Quickbobhero
3DS FC
4441-9316-1706
I have 3 Falco sets atm, 2133 since a while back that was considered the best set (Distant Fire Bird is actually really good), 3123 since the playstyle of Falco of that sounds really cool. :3 Then I have 2213 because Explosive Blaster is pretty cool and yeah.

I want the top 10 Falco sets, or at least the top 6 so I can set up my 3DS and so I can try out Falco because he actually seems a lot of fun to play and he at least looks cooler than Fox! (He's one of those characters that I've been very interested in but haven't gotten around to playing him much :()

Last edited:

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Take note, this part here's a copied and pasted message! But please read it anyway:
As we begin to approach the deadline for creating 10 custom sets for each character, we believe it's time to make sure that your conversations are staying on track, and that we evaluate the progress of your discussions. As such, we have prepared a preliminary lineup of custom sets based on what your conversations have led to. Feel free to adjust and update this list as necessary. After all, we want each character to be brought to their best potential!

We are going to begin to create the finalized sets on March 17th, so make sure you conclude any discussion you're having by then.

Preliminary Custom Sets:
Falco:

1/3, 1, 2/3, 1/3 niche: 2XXX

1121, 1123, 1131, 1133, 3121, 3123, 3131, 3133
niche: 2123, 2133

I think we mostly have Falco figured out. I just have two questions:

-Is it okay to leave out down-2? I'm not seeing any love for it.
-Are the options given more important than side-B customs? I am not seeing much love for side-B customs, and intuitively it would seem difficult to swallow giving up default Falco Phantasm.

Of course, any other concerns are welcome as well.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
The problem is I can't see anything the side-b customs give you in many situations over default Phantasm. I mean, Phase makes you invincible but you travel two-thirds the distance of Phantasm. I simply haven't found a use for the Charge that's safe in 1v1. :( The other two practically necessitate Distant Fire Bird to allow Falco to recover, which is a limiting factor as well. I welcome someone to come up with good uses for them, while I investigate them more.

Also I don't like down-b 2 because the reflect has really strict timing and isn't really faster than the standard reflector. I personally prefer down-b 3 for the knockback.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Falco Phase travels the same distance as default Fire Bird. I don't know what it could be used for really, but I think and I'm not sure, but it might have a faster start up than Phantasm.

Fast Fire Bird travels less than default except when used horizontally on the ground; Falco will slide making Fast Fire and default travel the same distance. I'm curious if the momentum Fast Fire Bird gives might make Falco's air speed faster at the cost of free falling.

NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Falco Phase travels the same distance as default Fire Bird. I don't know what it could be used for really, but I think and I'm not sure, but it might have a faster start up than Phantasm.

Fast Fire Bird travels less than default except when used horizontally on the ground; Falco will slide making Fast Fire and default travel the same distance. I'm curious if the momentum Fast Fire Bird gives might make Falco's air speed faster at the cost of free falling.
Does it really? That might be something to look at given its invincibility and indeed faster start up. However, and I'm not 100% on this, it has a bit more endlag than Phantasm. It could be a useful option to get back on stage without worry of being hit out of it, but it will only work as long as the opponent is unfamiliar with Phase's properties. Definitely something to look into.

I haven't used Fast Fire Bird for horizontal recovery, so that's something to look at. Faster air speed in that context only means we could drop onto the ledge faster, though I worry that such a situation is a dangerous situation to put ourselves in. When I use Fast Fire Bird, it's typically to get a really quick attack on the opponent to punish attacks when others would whiff at that distance; as well, it makes for a good get away option thanks to the momentum sliding Falco along, letting you go far.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
The slide I think only works on the ground for Fast Fire Bird. Falco does a little somersault out of Fast Fire Bird, but I don't think it does anything in the air.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I haven't really used Falco in any of the past Smash games or this game really, but he seems like a lot of fun with customs and I've noticed nobody here seems to care for his side special customs. Why is Falco Charge disliked? It seems like a fun hard hitting move. Is it too slow? Too short? I figure the latter wouldn't be too much of a problem if paired with Distant Fire Bird. I can't experiment with much of his customs because I don't have them unlocked, so I figured it was worth asking.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
All right, Falco's Fast Fire Bird is really, really interesting. When used on the ground if you hold (diagonally) down, Falco ends with a roll instead of sliding. It might be a placebo, but it looks like he can act out of the roll faster than the slide. I have no idea why he rolls, but it seems like a shorter "landing" animation than the free fall slide. Falco also travels a shorter distance because he doesn't slide. If this becomes a thing, then Falco has a tech that should be called Fire Roll.

The other one is a bit trickier mostly because it seems to require a precise angle input which is annoying with the Circle Pad or something like pressing down to fast fall at low angle launch. What happens is that Falco doesn't roll or land in free fall, but lands sort of at idle and slides forward. I think he can immediately act out of that which means a Fast Fire Bird sliding Smash, tilt, Jab, or grab could be a thing. Hmm, Fire Slide?

I wonder of Fox can do this with his Jet Boots custom... I wonder why I posted this in the Zelda Social. :p

Oh, and Falco can stop/lessen the momentum of FFB either by holding down to fast fall it or just not holding towards where he's going.

To add to this, the roll also happens with default Fire Bird, Distant Fire Bird, and Fox's Fire Fox. The major idea is Fast Fire Bird's speed and what seems like a shorter end lag, Falco has an awesome burst movement, especially if someone can consistently pull of the Fire Slide.

Last edited:
NNID
CRQ-L-07
3DS FC
4854-6608-1552
Just coming in here to say that it's definitely for the best that Falco has his sets with either Down B 1 or 3, just tried fighting a Mega Man with 2 and it was not feeling good at all. :( I'll upload my matches with a potato cam later, so people can see!

Oh, otherwise I think those ten sets cover all the good combinations we have so far. :)

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Remember when I was talking about Fire Sliding with Fast Fire Bird and @Plain Yogurt mentioned that you can perfectly land Fire Bird and probably Fire Fox? Thank Lavani for proving it's real and I'm not daffy. :p
just gonna drop this here cuz I don't remember the tech being shown at all and it's pretty cool

Reposting this here as well.
sup falco mains I finally found a way to consistenly get the perfect landing on fast fire bird but isn't as useful as the ground version of the falco somersault but its much easier.
we all know falco can perform a perfect landing by landing right after the end of falco's somersault, this can be done by doing an angled input of fast fire bird but honestly the direction is really strict and its not easy to do.
the perfect landing will end in falco landing with no lagg and carrying the momentum from the fast fire bird abling falco to get attacks instantly with increased range right after landing.
Today I found a way to consistently get the aerial version of the falco somersault perfect landing with no dificult inputs just short hop double jump with falco right after the animation of the second jump start input fast firebird to the side, this will end with falco performing a falco somersault and landing perfectly ready to attack or grab.

Anyways a small video where it shows how much distance falco travels after getting a perfect landing after somersault, usmash is first then 2 dsmash, I've been trying this for 3 hours and my success rate of getting this right is like 70%.
I can do the grounded version too but it's much harder.
And this.
I found some attacks don't carry the momentum from the fast fire bird but they are still instant.

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I think the fox blaster really lends itself well to Falco's playstyle, since he is all about forcing approaches.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I think the fox blaster really lends itself well to Falco's playstyle, since he is all about forcing approaches.
Any explanations for that DunnoBro? It might just depend on matchups and play style since some people would rather have someone approach them while others want to approach.

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Was a final list of custom movesets ever settled on?

I think 1233 or 3233 is solid as a defensive Falco that enables deep edgeguards via up 3 and very safe recoveries via side 2. I also think 2123 or 2121 would make a great set for a more aggressive playstyle. I really haven't messed with Fast Firebird at all, I dismissed it because it totally gimps his recovery, but those gifs of approach possibilities via sweetspotting the landing have convinced me to play with it.

I think up 3 should always be paired with side 2, since Distant Firebird more than makes up for the slight loss in recover from side 1 to 2, and side 2 provides a quick and super safe recovery option in short range, where Distant Firebird would be easily punished. I don't use default Phantasm as an offensive tool, but those who do may disagree. Similarly, I think up 2 should always be paired with side 1, as Falco's extreme loss of recovery due to Fast Firebird necessitates default Phantasm's long range.

I don't see much use in Accele-Reflector. Default reflector and Reflector Void are both useful. Side 3 can be eliminated entirely, in my opinion. I'm still undecided on blaster preferences. Default is fantastic for interrupting charge moves and tacking on solid damage at long range, as well as going for gimps, but the endlag is killer. Explosive has some really interesting potential as a spacing tool or a setup, but I need to explore it more. Burst seems like a good option for defensive Falcos, as it forces an approach and can be put away fast enough for Falco to respond even to faster characters.

I'd also like to make an explicit argument for Falco Phase, side special #2, and its inclusion in a utility set or two. I think it's a great option for closing the gap on projectile spammers like Duck Hunt or big Lloid spamming custom Villagers. It's also really useful as a totally ungimpable recovery - it works well in conjunction with Distant Fire Bird, since Falco gets even more gimpable than usual when that's used with his default Falco Phantasm. In my opinion, 1232 would be the ultimate anti-projectile loadout, as the flinching laser can stop chargable projectiles, Phase allows quick, invincible onstage movement for approaching through projectile walls, and Accele-Reflector makes it very difficult to dodge anything you reflect at them, though it may still be less useful than default Reflector, due to its lack of utility as a poking tool.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jpot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jpot93
Final list was settled on a while ago.
Yeah, I figured that out, though it would have been nice if a post in this thread had linked to the big list when it was posted. I assume this is an ongoing project, yeah? Any news on when the standard sets are to be updated?

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
Yeah, I figured that out, though it would have been nice if a post in this thread had linked to the big list when it was posted. I assume this is an ongoing project, yeah? Any news on when the standard sets are to be updated?
Link: http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...ct-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/unread.

I don't know since if say, people feel strongly against customs after EVO, it might be abandoned or only used in some communities. Or the opposite could happen.

Top Bottom