• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Donkey Kong

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I'm still new to using customs but does the jumping side b head but still bury opponents based on their percentage? Or do they pop out so fast compared to standard head butt that it only seems like a fixed amount of time regardless of percentages?

PhantomTriforce

Smash Cadet
I'm still new to using customs but does the jumping side b head but still bury opponents based on their percentage? Or do they pop out so fast compared to standard head butt that it only seems like a fixed amount of time regardless of percentages?
In general, people can get out of jumping's pit quicker, but yes, I believe it still scales with percentage.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I came across this weird behavior the other day. Apparently Bowser's passive heavy armor blocks Jumping Headbutt from burying him until like 82%. In the air he still gets knocked away, but if he's on the ground you are going to get punished with Fsmash for free if you hit him until then.
Honestly this makes me wonder if we should dedicate slot 10 to 1131. This would be a "safe" option against Bowser to cover that, and DKs who are very unfamiliar with the project but just want the obviously high power of Kong Cyclone may feel highly comfortable with it. That would be kinda mean to the Stubborn Headbutt crowd, but the move is kinda bad so I dunno just food for thought there.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Honestly this makes me wonder if we should dedicate slot 10 to 1131. This would be a "safe" option against Bowser to cover that, and DKs who are very unfamiliar with the project but just want the obviously high power of Kong Cyclone may feel highly comfortable with it. That would be kinda mean to the Stubborn Headbutt crowd, but the move is kinda bad so I dunno just food for thought there.
I think it'd be better to axe one of the less desirable punch/slap combos than to get rid of the only Stubborn Headbutt set. Focused Slap plus Giant Punch is probably a little overkill in terms of power and has very little utility. Focused Slap plus Lightning Punch is a little more balanced, but Focused Slap is pretty difficult to land in the MU's that you'd want to take Lightning Punch in the first place. I'd get rid of one of those 2 combos first if we are going to throw in 1131.

Jumping Headbutt not burying Bowser isn't really a big deal so long as you are aware of when he won't flinch. It still functions as a juggle escape tool (when you are both in the air) and as a ledge grabbing tool. You aren't going to want to throw out very many headbutts of any kind against Bowser to begin with since the risk/reward is pretty bad for all of them.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
So... I just faced somebody using customs DK...
And I got gimped at 0% trying to punish his crazy windbox-o-death (Kong Cyclone).....
How the hell do you punish that thing? The windboxes make me have to shield it for the entire attack, and I saw in the frame data thread that he's got bloody SUPER ARMOR too? >.>
What gives? X_X

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
As I told my bro when he first faced me with it, don't make any sudden movements. Anyway you'll figure it out after a day of facing it, it's not OP, you just have to fight Dk with more reads rather than combos.

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I have recently discovered that I actually like 1131, and would like this to replace the stubborn headbutt set in slot 10 even though it's too late technically to say anything about it. But I must insist to @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos (this is deusdj, btw) that it be changed because I only recently discovered some techniques that make this a very good and probably my preferred setup, and I plan on attending evo.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
I know this is too late but you guys are definitely sleeping on stubborn headbutt.

Frame 1 SA is insanely good on a character with landing issues like DK. It also oneshots shields, which you can do more than you'd think. Sometimes if you predict an attack and SA through it, they'll either have to take the hit or get their shield popped. The worst outcome for DK if he predicted correctly is that they roll away, which means DK resets to neutral instead of being juggled.

It's obviously super punishable on whiff, but really all the headbutts are punishable and can only be used as rare mixups. This one has the highest reward both defensively and offensively, so to me it's the most worth.

Last edited:

ElevenOnze

Smash Rookie
I know this is too late but you guys are definitely sleeping on stubborn headbutt.

Frame 1 SA is insanely good on a character with landing issues like DK. It also oneshots shields, which you can do more than you'd think. Sometimes if you predict an attack an SA through it, they'll either have to take the hit or get their shield popped. The worst outcome for DK if he predicted correctly is that they roll away, which means DK resets to neutral instead of being juggled.

It's obviously super punishable on whiff, but really all the headbutts are punishable and can only be used as rare mixups. This one has the highest reward both defensively and offensively, so to me it's the most worth.
I'm with you on this

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I have recently discovered that I actually like 1131, and would like this to replace the stubborn headbutt set in slot 10 even though it's too late technically to say anything about it. But I must insist to @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos (this is deusdj, btw) that it be changed because I only recently discovered some techniques that make this a very good and probably my preferred setup, and I plan on attending evo.
I believe you can get grabbed during the stubborn headbutt?

DaRkJaWs

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sharifi_shuffle
I believe you can get grabbed during the stubborn headbutt?
Yes, but what does this have anything to do with my comment? 1131 is standard headbutt, not stubborn.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Yes, but what does this have anything to do with my comment? 1131 is standard headbutt, not stubborn.
My mistake. I read it as you referring to stubborn.

Neon!

Smash Lord
My preference right now is 2231.

The lightning punch is useful in matchups like Diddy, Sheik and Rob where it can be difficult to fully charge the regular punch due to the pressuring tools these characters have.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
How does everyone feel about DK's current 10 slots right now? The current 10 slots are 9 variations of x23x and one Stubborn Headbutt set (1333).

Is anyone that is going to EVO dissatisfied with these 10? I haven't really been playing with customs, but I was wondering how other people feel about them now that customs are in the limelight.

Top Bottom