• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Kuma, how can you not see the point? Okay, here's the thing. We have six characters who were rumored to be playable in SSB. Three of them were actually confirmed by Sakurai (Mewtwo, King Dedede, Bowser). Five of them actually became playable in Melee and/or Brawl (Mewtwo, King Dedede, Bowser, Pit, Peach). It couldn't be sheer coincidence for the rumors and what actually happened to agree with each other.

I am sorry but I just cannot help but feel suspicious about the whole thing with Meowth. Meowth was removed in Melee (and I doubt it is because the fans disliked Meowth in SSB) and only appeared as an unlockable trophy that explicitly advertised the now-cancelled game Meowth's Party. Considering the fact Melee added six last-minute clones to bolster the final roster due to time constraints and the fact Meowth seemed to be the next logical choice after Mewtwo on the Melee poll (Sakurai probably couldn't figure out how to make Red work in Smash at this point), it almost looks like Meowth could have been in Melee.

By the way, just because Meowth did not do very well on the Melee poll does not mean he lacked fan demand. Ice Climbers, Pit, and Wolf did worse than Meowth did on the Melee poll. Also, even if Pit had fan demand, Sakurai wasn't going to add him unless he sees how well Kid Icarus sold on the GBA. Kid Icarus sold the fewest copies out of all the Classic NES Series but it sold enough copies for Sakurai to justify adding Pit.

Meowth may not be one of the Forbidden Seven in Brawl, but he was popular enough for Sakurai to bring him back. Also, it is very telling that Meowth is the only original Pokeball Pokemon who was removed in Melee and came back in Brawl (probably due to fan demand). Sakurai even pointed out just how important Meowth is by stating that "it is considered a major Pokemon" on the Dojo and "it's one of the most famous Pokemon" on Meowth's Brawl trophy. Gee, I wonder why Sakurai had to tell us something we already know? Could it be because he is trying to remind us that Meowth is one of the iconic faces of the Pokemon franchise?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Arc, I'm not saying that Meowth isn't going to happen. In fact, I'd love to see him in. Do we know if these rumors were around during the Melee days? If they were, I'd be inclined to believe them.

Yes, all the Meowth stuff does suggest that he may have been planned for Melee and Brawl, but we may never know for certain. I'm not going to say he won't happen since Charizard became playable.

Now, for those numbers in the Melee poll, here's what I think: Ice Climbers seemed to be added out of presonal preference along with possibly Pit. For Wolf, I really couldn't tell you. Some will argue that it's his Japanese popularity, but recent research shows that the Starfox games are more successful in the US than Japan. I couldn't tell you why he was put in with this in mind.

Meowth seems to be an interesting case. For all we know, his lack of appearances may stem from coming up with a moveset (maybe). The guy is indeed popular enough for inclusion. I think in Brawl's development, there might have been a "hierarchy" for each of the Pokemon (and to an extent Fire Emblem). Here's what I think:

1. Pikachu
2. Pokemon Trainer
3. Lucario
4. Jigglypuff
5. Mewtwo
6. Meowth

I've already explained my theory regarding Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. Jiggs is where she is due (based on a guess) that she's one of the easier ones to animate.

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Meowth would be pretty cool... maybe Sakurai wanted him in 64 and Melee but then had the Pokemon Trainer idea and preferred it to Meowth?

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Gee, I wonder why Sakurai had to tell us something we already know?
So he could mess with people like you.

Look, I know you really love Meowth and everything, but you're definitely moving into crazy person territory here. False rumors and lots of maybes don't make him stand out over any other character.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Kuma, why is Jigglypuff so easy to animate? Could it be because Sakurai based Jigglypuff on Kirby in SSB? They both float. They are both round with short stubby limbs. They even use the same animations for almost all of their regular moves. That would definitely make Jigglypuff a whole lot easier to animate back in SSB. Meowth's lack of appearance couldn't be because of lack of moves. He is a Pokemon (with arms and legs which are necessary in Smash) and the purpose of the Pokemon games are to make your Pokemon battle against other Pokemon. I think it is because some Pokemon had higher priorities and some Pokemon were easier to animate than Meowth.

Aww.... that's too bad, Deku. I wanted Little Mac but since Sakurai is happy to make him an Assist Trophy, that means he isn't going to be interested to turn Little Mac into a playable character in the next game. :(

:mad: *flips a table* Dammit, Toise! I want Meowth! LOL :laugh: Anyway, how did the false rumors come to be? I mean, we have Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede confirmed by Sakurai... so where did the rumors about Pit, Peach, and Meowth come from?

Pieman0920

Smash Master
They came from the internet. On the internet you can make up anything you want and get away with it. Heck, sometims its not even intentional. Someone could have suggested the idea that those characters were inteded and someone else could have just rolled with it. Really, rumors can start from anything.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
The only difference between the Meowth rumor and the myriad of others is that you like the Meowth one. Doesn't make it any less fabricated.

I don't like playing Debbie Downer (well maybe I do), but there's absolutely no indication that says Meowth will be anything other than a Pokeball in the future. Going by all the stuff you've mentioned, even Mew would get in over him.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure that is the case. And as sad as it is that Mewtwo was removed, his may have sailed too. The only thing keeping him possible is that he had some data in Brawl, and was already in smash bros. once.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Just for the sake of it, why do most of you believe that FE will get another character? F-ZERO still has one and Metroid (1.5), both were fully involved within the smash franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Roy, Lyn, or Eliwood, but considering that Roy was meant for marketing purposes, why should we expect a third character from a company with 2/3 involvement?

As for pokemon, is anyone for the idea of spreaing the characters over the generations? Loose Example: Trainer has Squirtle, Bayleef, Blaziken.

No Offense charizard lovers, I just think that with all this 5th gen talk, anything's possible. Theres like 500 pokemon and about 6 slots for fighters. oh the choices.

Oh and Shino... F-MIME'S COUCH! ;)

DekuBoy

Smash Lord
Kuma, why is Jigglypuff so easy to animate? Could it be because Sakurai based Jigglypuff on Kirby in SSB? They both float. They are both round with short stubby limbs. They even use the same animations for almost all of their regular moves. That would definitely make Jigglypuff a whole lot easier to animate back in SSB. Meowth's lack of appearance couldn't be because of lack of moves. He is a Pokemon (with arms and legs which are necessary in Smash) and the purpose of the Pokemon games are to make your Pokemon battle against other Pokemon. I think it is because some Pokemon had higher priorities and some Pokemon were easier to animate than Meowth.

Aww.... that's too bad, Deku. I wanted Little Mac but since Sakurai is happy to make him an Assist Trophy, that means he isn't going to be interested to turn Little Mac into a playable character in the next game. :(

:mad: *flips a table* Dammit, Toise! I want Meowth! LOL :laugh: Anyway, how did the false rumors come to be? I mean, we have Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede confirmed by Sakurai... so where did the rumors about Pit, Peach, and Meowth come from?
You misunderstand. He was a Pokeball summon TWICE. Little Mac was an assist trophy ONCE and now he is making his comeback. Meowth was possibly a good idea back when SSB64 was around but now he's somewhat unlikely. Also have you played Super Nuke Bros?

Just for the sake of it, why do most of you believe that FE will get another character? F-ZERO still has one and Metroid (1.5), both were fully involved within the smash franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for Roy, Lyn, or Eliwood, but considering that Roy was meant for marketing purposes, why should we expect a third character from a company with 2/3 involvement?

As for pokemon, is anyone for the idea of spreaing the characters over the generations? Loose Example: Trainer has Squirtle, Bayleef, Blaziken.

No Offense charizard lovers, I just think that with all this 5th gen talk, anything's possible. Theres like 500 pokemon and about 6 slots for fighters. oh the choices.

Oh and Shino... F-MIME'S COUCH! ;)
I think FE should get at least a third rep because it has arguably the most "important" characters. While none are directly important to the seires overall, each one carries no more signfigance than the other except Marth for being the first. Persoanlly I think that we should have Leaf from Thracia 776, as it and the geneaolgy of the war were the two most popular and Sigurd seems to be an unuseable fighter ebcause no one wants to see another blue-haired swordsmen >.>

Though honestly I would like to see Sothe, Black Knight, or Eliwood in the game, but that's just me.

Oh and Mime's a beast, don't be hating...LIGHT SCREEN

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Fire Emblem has several games, and several pottential characters to use, so there's always hope that another one of those characters will make the jump to Smash. Its really not a given, since nothing really is, but its a fairly safe bet.

As for the PT's Pokemon spanning generations, I think the best combination would be Treecko, Monferno, and Feraligatr, though I guess that idea it sort of deisgned with being the PT's rival in mind. (Plus the fact that there is no other first stage starter outside of Treecko that wouldn't act just like Ivysaur)

spyrl-9

Smash Rookie
It's been a while since I've been on here, so someone probably already suggested it, but...
Here's an interesting thought,
A Boy and his Blob

An old NES classic, thought popular enough to earn a Wii-exclusive remake, the pair might make a unique addition to Smash Bros.
Though I'm not sure the legal restrictions that might apply...

You would control the Boy, while his partner followed (much like the Ice Climbers -if Popo used Nana as a weapon). The Blob would shift into the Boy's needed arsenal for his various A and B attacks.
For now, I'm not making a complete movelist, but I had some quick ideas for B moves to consider...

Neutral B: Bubble

Basically, a shield, reflecting attacks and projectiles in a random direction. Button can be held to maintain the bubble for a short while, however multiple attacks, or extremely strong ones can pop it. If done in mid-air, holding the B button causes the bubble to bounce back up after hitting the ground. Those hit by the bouncing bubble will be knocked down -similar to a trip (though dealing a little damage, of course). Bouncing bubble can still be popped by multiple, or powerful attacks.

Side B: Rocket

Boy rides rocket forward, knocking into all in his way.

Up B: Trampoline

Similar to Sonic's Up B.

Down B: Anvil

Throws an anvil in front of him. Very short range (only a character width away), but decent knockback. If done in the air, Boy rides the anvil down, similar to Kirby's down B. (Handy after a "bubble bounce")

Special Ability: Parachute

Holding the jump button after Boy's Up B, or a jump, lets him parachute, similar to Peach after her Up B

Final Smash:Hungry Blob! -Blob gets bigger and player controls him, with Boy following. Blob can move faster, and any opponent he touches is eaten, chewed, and spit far (similar to the Pokemon, Gulpin, but chewed much faster). Each opponent eaten makes Blob grow even bigger, until time limit expires, and he deflates and you control Boy again.

Just some thoughts...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You misunderstand. He was a Pokeball summon TWICE. Little Mac was an assist trophy ONCE and now he is making his comeback. Meowth was possibly a good idea back when SSB64 was around but now he's somewhat unlikely. Also have you played Super Nuke Bros?

The first three sentences... Charizard was a Pokeball summon TWICE and he became playable. Your point?

The fourth sentence sounds like sour grapes. "I wanted Meowth in SSB and Melee because he would be awesome! Oh, but since he wasn't playable in both games and he still isn't playable in Brawl, I guess Meowth wasn't such a good idea so no Meowth for SSB4."

The last sentence... no, I have not played the game, let alone heard about it.

Flyinflipino, most people outside the Internet probably don't care about Mewtwo being unplayable in Brawl.

Also, good moveset for Boy & Blob. I like it. It is what I would have expected from them if they were in Smash.

Th eonly problem with Boy and his Blob is that they are currently owned bya third party...though the company works exclusively with nintendo titles, so you never know

Pieman0920

Smash Master
Charizard wasn't included on his own, and likely wouldn't have it wasn't for the PT. I guess there's a possibility that a second PT could have a Meowth in there as well, but the odds of that are lower than Meowth on his own. Heck, Charizard (and the other first gen Pokes) were probably considered topical again thanks to FR/LG and that was probably Meowth's last big chance unless something really unepxpected comes up.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
@TK
1. I really don't see it being as huge as you're making it, especially in Jiggs case. Being in all three games makes her bullet-proof? Come now, she's fortunate to be in all three. That's all.

2. I should clear up that generation 1-3 were accounted in that poll, too. Now honestly, if a poll was conducted today, do you believe she'd still be in the top 5-10? 3 years is a significant amount of time; consider that she hasn't been appearing in the anime lately, pokemons' prime focus is on 4th generation pokemon currently, and it's what kids are being exposed to.

3. These icon arguments has got to stop. Tingle is an icon, is he guaranteed to be the next Zelda character? No, and it doesn't guarantee Jiggs safety (I'd say Mewtwo was just as iconic before if not more so).

5. So they didn't agree that Jiggs was an icon? Okay. Plus, I don't think they really payed any attention to Jiggs.

6. By that logic, why remove Mewtwo? And I'm saying that giving her characteristics, other pokemon could be far more unique. Why not choose one of them instead?

7. Removing characters wasn't a big complaint, removing Mewtwo was. And I'm not saying the devs shouldn't listen to the fans, they should.

I'm aware that she's a veteran to smash, but as I said before, veterans retire in order to make way for the next generation. She's ho-hum, and her performance in Brawl was pitiful, much like Mewtwo. She was a popular choice before, the reason why she's even in Smash. But now, I would definitely remove her for a newer face, be it a 4th gen pokemon, another 5th gen, 6th, etc. We can't allow ourselves to be so fixated on the first gen when the series is constantly shifting or evolving.
1.Not bullet-proof, but It's a very huge help to a character.
2.I do, and If there's nothing you have upon backing it up... (And if 4th gen is really that popular then Lucario can just say in)
3.LoZ Is different. LoZ Has four core characters (Along with argueable others) Pokemon is a series that has multiple icons (Lucario, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, etc) for each generation.
5.If they didn't, then why would she be in over the
6.Because Jiggs is already fine, and Mewtwo is an awkward character so that temporary removal was understandable.
7.No it wasn't. You would be pretty surprised at some of the backlash about Roy along with others too. I hate referring to VgChartz for number 7 and sales, but people thinking Smash isn't a big thing? When Melee outsold at least most of the Fire Emblem games combined, that is a pretty huge thing.

Now then, If you hate overpopulation of the 1st gen, that's understandable. I hate it as well, however Pika, Jiggs, and Mewtwo (well, returning) Can stay. My idea is personally have Pokemon Trainer in a 1st gen outfit and the ability to change to other outfits, but have starters from the other gens (IE: Chikorita, Prinplup, Blaziken) - It would please far more generations than removing a veteran to smash.

Heck, just look at it:
-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Mewtwo
-Pokemon Trainer (2nd gen, 3rd gen, and 4th gen starters)
-Newest Gen (Or lucario or something like that)

It's a pretty even balance. 1st gen has a bit more in character slots but It's the most popular gen.

I'm surprised to hear that about Pichu, but you could argue he evolved in Brawl.

Developers should always listen to the fans, but Smash has that special obligation not many games have since it unites many fanbases. Sorry, but I'm just saying. That and Nintendo needs to desperately hire some vet players for testing and gather research on who and what people want.
I agree. We really should have for instance some Mother fans go around Starmen secretly and show the most wanted Mother content along with other things.

Meowth or Lyn or whoever, but what we've seen so far suggests that those older characters are a pipe dream.
I agree, now time for me to be a complete hypocrite to that:

Meowth and Sheeda
Smeargle and Michian for Brawl. Some leaf would be nice too, also Prinplup/Pinlup plz.

When Brawl was being discussed before it's release, I can't remember a single most wanted roster which had Pichu and I don't recall any without Mewtwo.

Despite his playstyle I think his inclusion was great. A villain for the series. That was my only fault with the Brawl roster and if I had my way I would have had him over Pokemon Trainer.
You have to think outside of forums, just talk with people (Like I end up doing at parties and stuff) and you'll find the truth in there, for starters.

If you're looking for false hope, then yeah, rumors are a pretty sweet fruit.
So I heard Claus was planned in brawl Also agreed. (Funfact: There was actually a rumor stating he was removed)

Because Ike is basically the US's Marth to the entire series (Asides from not being the first) And we know that (Especially with the time Ike was included, four weeks after release) the company/Sakurai generally likes having the most recent ones, at least from what we've seen.

It's certainly possible however that Ike get cut and they forget about Roy or the series gets no "New FE Lord" So yeah.

I just suggested this but I agree with you all the way. :)

Leaf from Thracia 776
...LEAF FOR ROY REPLACEMENT.

Something about Zelda wii from KumaOso and Zelda possibly not getting a fifth PC.
Thank you logic.

Flyinflipino, most people outside the Internet probably don't care about Mewtwo being unplayable in Brawl.
Assumptions rock!

Awkwardly enough, I've seen more backlash outside of forums than I have on forums.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Meowth? Screw that man, as if there aren't enough people who disagree with Jigg's addition so far.

My only concern for Mewtwo is that his moveset wasn't given proper justice. I'm really concerned that Sakurai's inclusion of characters is leading towards popularity rather than Linear storylines. The way Melee was headed, I would have thought that we would get at least a 3:1 average ratio of Protagonists to Antagonists and that we would get that whole good vs evil feel. Mewtwo is arguably one of the Pokemon's most prestigious antagonists, yet I haven't heard many people stating that his inclusion was equatable to Bowser/Gannondorf.

Although it is dissapointing, Mewtwo's removal isn't devastating, especially since Lucario may get replaced by another Legendary from the 5th Gen (perhaps from the next movie). I've actually heard some positive reviews for the movie including Lucario, but I haven't heard anything for what it seems 10-15 pokemon movies inbetween. The last movie that I sat through was the third (Lol, Kid Commitment), I didn't watch another after that because their storylines hardly compare to the first, depthwise. I figure that due to the first movie's popularity, people who don't follow the series can identify M2's significance to Pokemon overall. To me, Lucario was nothing more than a replacement character to promote Pokemon's status for that particular time. Are there others who had no idea who Lucario was before Smash?

Guys, clear me up on this, why Toad? He may be like the Generic Yoshi, but to my understanding, yoshi actually has lead roles in Games. I saw earlier that his recovery method involves the propeller hat...?
I've seen that somewhere before...

Idk guys, I'm a bit uninformed on his inclusion. Convincing please?

Last thoughts: I'm hoping to see a better plot for Smash than the SSE so that people would be excited to search for the unlockables/achievements. SSE's plot wasn't very intuitive especially in the sense that they pretty much threw the characters at you (ingame and inplot) . Which reminds me, why do we get Ike and Lucas first while Marth and Ness are Unlockables? It didn't quite give me something to strive for since I already knew who they were.

TTK: Yeah you got that Idea from me in the first place. (See Pg. 1875) Outfit changing? I forsee many complications from that.

[Lol shino, with that whole "Light Screen" thing sounds a bit like Gardevoir, a pokeball.]

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
TTK: Yeah you got that Idea from me in the first place.
Actually no, I was thinking about it on my plane ride but then I saw your post thus I had to quote it and at least say something.

I think all starters but from different gens that aren't first would really do the other gens some justice instead of "HEY, HERE'S POKEBALLS"

n88

Smash Lord
@NeverFiniteX

People want Toad because he's one of the oldest Mario characters. Personally, I don't want to see him in, because I don't think he could have a fitting moveset.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
The way you put it, why not just have the most popular pokemon from each gen? Exception being that 5th gen should be the Legendary place holder. (and Pikachu of course). So a maximum of 7 pokemon, six if... well, you know.

N88- Toad
Serious, Serious doubts, although you all can dream I guess (not you in particular N88). Thats right up there with me wanting Paper Mario, except that his moveset would be rather easy to implement (unique as well) and he has his own games.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
(ME)
(TTK)

I'll Delete this, but check it out for yourself Pg 1875.
Oh wow, that's funny. I was just against having something like Pichu or Jigglypuff or so become a PT Pokemon and was only really into starters, but I never thought about mixing up starters. :laugh:

But yeah, I didn't quite get the idea from you but It's glad to see that we're on a similar page of what should happen to Pokemon. Prinplup for Pokemon Trainer!

n88

Smash Lord
Also, while on the topic of Toad, I would like to add that there is a unique, singular Toad among a species of Toads, creatures that look exactly like Toad (Much like Yoshi is to Yoshis). Toad is a unique character in addition to being a generic species. When people request Toad, they are, generally speaking, requesting the character, not the species. It's been awhile since he's done anything important, but he's still an actual character,and shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand as generic filler.

Toad (the character) actually has quite a few appearances under his belt, including
-Super Mario Bros
-Super Mario Bros 2
-Super Mario Bros 3
-Wario's Woods
-Super Mario 64 (+DS)
-New Super Mario Bros Wii
-SMRPG:LotSS
-Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
-Super Paper Mario
-Super Princess Peach

That being said, I still don't want Toad. Just trying to set the record straight.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Lol, I was really bent on getting that credit. But you see my point I guess.

I thought about mixing the trainer shortly after I first saw the Trainer. It was a pretty sweet gimmick, but I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be able to play as my favorite starter, Charmander. I got over it, but thought, what about the other gens? They should get a trainer as well. I thought up the combinations (leaning towards my favorite of course). I thought that they should include one pokemon from each of the evolution stages, but ran into two problems. First I thought of the idea before I was even aware of the 4th gen (let alone the fifth), so its not practical for our becoming age. Second, there was the problem of the Grass Starter where most of the final evolution states are rather large and bulky (Venasuar, Meganium; Skeptile, fast according to the show but still rather large).

After all those complications, I saw somebody post something similar to my idea and some guy responded: "You want another gimped out version of a gimmick that already exists?" I scrapped that thought when I saw that post.

I remembered that when I showed my idea to my brother (whose opinions I trust) he wondered why blaziken wasn't in there, and my response was that Charizard is already a badass. But now his opinion clicks perfectly, in a sense. Bayleef (as far as I know) is better known than Ivysaur and Blaziken is convieniently both Fire and Fighting, why not? Oh and squirtle is widely popular already (show and game).

Not Going Anywhere: Pikachu
1st Gen: Squirtle (Trainer)
2nd Gen: Bayleef (Trainer)
3rd Gen: Blaziken (Trainer)
4th Gen: ??? (Is Lucario 4th Gen?)
5th Gen: ???

Of course this is the idea I had and not the most popular from each series that I mentioned earlier.

N88
I understand this as well, but he still doesn't have his OWN game as Yoshi Does

Yoshi's Cookie
SMW2: Yoshi's Island
Yoshi Story
Yoshi's Island DS

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Toad stuff
It's pretty irrelevant which Toad or Toads people ask for (even if most tend to think of the original). Anytime you see "a Toad," it might as well be "the Toad," and vice versa. No one really cares about the distinction between the Yoshi and a Yoshi, do they?

plot for Smash
I'd recommend this one:

No plot, just characters and settings.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Not Going Anywhere: Pikachu
1st Gen: Squirtle (Trainer)
2nd Gen: Bayleef (Trainer)
3rd Gen: Blaziken (Trainer)
4th Gen: ??? (Is Lucario 4th Gen?)
5th Gen: ???
Mine personally would be:
1st - Pikachu
1st - Mewtwo
1st - Jigglypuff
- 2nd - Chikorita (Trainer)
3rd - Blaziken (Trainer, pretty popular too when it comes to fire starters)
4th - Prinplup (Trainer)
Newest Gen - Whatever.

It represents Pokemon well. Doesn't over-do First gen but doesn't under-do it. Doesn't annoy many fans (...Asides from those who liked PT's pokemon), and it doesn't exceed 5 PC Slots.

Thoughts?

I'd recommend this one:

No plot, just characters and settings.
No Plot. No Items. Fox Only. Final Dest...Ok we've heard that one before.

Also agreed.

n88

Smash Lord
@Toise

The people in this thread do. There's way too many "Toad is a generic species!" crap wasting space in this thread. I was merely trying to establish for everyone that there is a specific Toad. I realize most people know this, but I figured I didn't have anything better to do anyway, so that got posted.

EDIT: @thirdkoopa

Why would PT's popular, well-known Pokemon get replaced with a bunch of random, obscure ones?

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Toise

No plot? It would be all well and good if the SSE wasn't created, but well, it still exists.
I figure that there should be Characters and Stages but it should show a cutscene showing why these characters are fighting. (so storyline is CG only, while we have the basic adventure mode from 64)

TTK

Prinlup huh? Thats actually pretty decent. We remade the trainer base, wow. And now we've crossed deadly seven territory.

I just have to, this pic is great.

LOL, TTK that is a better question indeed.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Why would PT's popular, well-known Pokemon get replaced with a bunch of random, obscure ones?
Blaziken is surprisingly well known just fyi. Also they aren't random, clearly starters. 2nd gen was the Grass starter, 3rd the Fire starter (3rd evolve form) and 4th is the water form (2nd evolve form)

Better question: Why should 1st gen get almost all the character representation when other popular gens (Not as popular but still) get the shaft?

Prinlup huh? Thats actually pretty decent. We remade the trainer base, wow. And now we've crossed deadly seven territory.
Oh god. Anyone who uses the word "Forbidden" To go with those gets shot. :laugh:

And yeah, what can I say? I don't like the water pokemon of 2nd gen too much and Mudkip was shoed out in place of Blaziken + I'm biased when it comes to some topics.

edit: Nice pic. :D

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
1.Not bullet-proof, but It's a very huge help to a character.
2.I do, and If there's nothing you have upon backing it up... (And if 4th gen is really that popular then Lucario can just say in)
3.LoZ Is different. LoZ Has four core characters (Along with argueable others) Pokemon is a series that has multiple icons (Lucario, Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, etc) for each generation.
5.If they didn't, then why would she be in over the
6.Because Jiggs is already fine, and Mewtwo is an awkward character so that temporary removal was understandable.
7.No it wasn't. You would be pretty surprised at some of the backlash about Roy along with others too. I hate referring to VgChartz for number 7 and sales, but people thinking Smash isn't a big thing? When Melee outsold at least most of the Fire Emblem games combined, that is a pretty huge thing.
1. Honestly not sure why you're putting so much stock into her appearing in all three games, you aren't really explaining why, just saying it.

2. Then you'd truly be naive. Considering what I said, what makes you so confident? (And remove Lucario, there's more popular choices =P)

3. Not much different, actually. And why did you bring up Jiggs being an icon in the first place if it isn't exclusive to her, acting as if that's something that helps?

5. You're saying that Jiggs entry in Brawl is due to the Pokemon Co. thinking she's iconic, then point to them not explicitly saying so as evidence. She's most likely in because she was in the previous games, not because of what you fabricated.

6. You said Jiggs unique moveset is something that aids her, yet Mewtwo was arguably more unique. Even if you see him as awkward, did he share traits with anyone in the roster? Again, there are Pokemon who can be more unique, so her moveset doesn't help her all that much.

7. Removing Mewtwo wasn't a big complaint, now? And I suppose there was some outcry for Roy, but in comparison to Mewtwo, it's rather small, hence me saying removing Mewtwo was a big complaint. Not sure why you brought up VgChartz.

Now then, If you hate overpopulation of the 1st gen, that's understandable. I hate it as well, however Pika, Jiggs, and Mewtwo (well, returning) Can stay. My idea is personally have Pokemon Trainer in a 1st gen outfit and the ability to change to other outfits, but have starters from the other gens (IE: Chikorita, Prinplup, Blaziken) - It would please far more generations than removing a veteran to smash.
They could stay, but should Jiggs stay? Pikachu obviously stays, and Mewtwo is in a situation where I can't conclude either way, but Jiggs doesn't have a lot going for her outside of being a veteran, an old-timer who I think should make way for someone else.

Heck, just look at it:
-Pikachu
-4th or 5th gen pokemon
-Mewtwo
-Pokemon Trainer (with alt. costumes)
-Newest Gen
Fixed

That's exactly how I see it for SSB4, preferably we get two 5th gen pokemon, but I can't say much on that since "they don't exist yet" (Don't want Chu to attack me).

Makes me want Sukapon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJTx2ZKZm1k

... Badly.

Last thoughts: I'm hoping to see a better plot for Smash than the SSE so that people would be excited to search for the unlockables/achievements. SSE's plot wasn't very intuitive especially in the sense that they pretty much threw the characters at you (ingame and inplot).
I just hope we don't get another Kirby Super Sub Star Emissary. More warp pipes, item blocks, Metroid doorways, treasure chests, etc. please.

This is the situation in which I say scrap Lucario, leave mewtwo out, and make a Rival trainer with a set of starters like you mentioned.

Basivally my poke list looks like this:
Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
Rival Trainer ( Chikorita, Quilava, Feraligator)
Basically thats only one more character than the most lists (ones that keep lucario and Mewtwo)
If need be take out Jigglyouff too....

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Even if you see him as awkward, did he share traits with anyone in the roster?
that is all.

Makes me want Sukapon... Badly.
Is Sukapon a fighter? I might be the only one who played this system, he reminds me of teloroboxer From VBoy

Relevance? None, but I love this game

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...94&prev=/images?q=teleroboxer&hl=en&sa=N&um=1

make a Rival trainer with a set of starters like you mentioned.
Maybe not, like I noted, its repeating a gimmick.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Better question: Why should 1st gen get almost all the character representation when other popular gens (Not as popular but still) get the shaft?
Because the first gen is THE gen. That's the iconic one. The first gen Pokemon we've had so far are all very memorable (except maybe Ivysaur since no one cares about the middle guys, but he gets a free pass for being a -saur).

Of course, it's still rather likely that we'll see new Pokemon in the future, but there's no need to "rep the gens" like that.

Toise

No plot? It would be all well and good if the SSE wasn't created, but well, it still exists.
I figure that there should be Characters and Stages but it should show a cutscene showing why these characters are fighting. (so storyline is CG only, while we have the basic adventure mode from 64)
If it's about the same as Melee's adventure mode (which basically showed off the settings or your opponents), then yeah, that's perfect.

NeverFiniteX

Smash Apprentice
Just for Kicks, which megaman should get in? I figured that the original will get in by fan demand but by some stretch Infuane's brainchild Megaman Zero might get in as well, while X and Zero are Trophies or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom