• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Official SSB4 Discussion] --- Nintendo announces 2 new Smash games!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I see it more as being like this:

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Mewtwo
5th Gen Pokemon (doesn't necessarily have to be Zoro)

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
5th Gen

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
5th Gen

Pikachu
Jigglypuff
5th Gen

I personally don't think Lucario has much a chance of returning... at all, lol, but if he were to here are a few various ways it could go:

Brawl Pokemon roster + 5th Gen

^ This, minus PT

Brawl roster -PT +Mewtwo and 5th Gen

Last two are a bit far fetched, I know.
Oh yeah, I guess Mewtwo could potentially replace Pokemon Trainer. I mean Pokemon Trainer replaced Mewtwo in Brawl and there was a bit of an uproar. But it still seems a bit unlikely, considering the Pokemon Trainer is a three-in-one character which is unique so Sakurai may want to keep it.

I have a good feeling that we'll be seeing five slots for Pokemon though. The main reason I think Mewtwo will be coming back is because he is a first generation Pokemon, and in Brawl and Melee, the Pokemon roster has always been dominated by first generations and one "flavor of the month" character. This time around, a Generation V Pokemon will be flavor of the month, and Lucario would look out of place. So give his spot to Mewtwo and add a Generation V Pokemon.

If we get five slots, I expect to see this:

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
-Mewtwo
-Zoroark (or other possible Generation V Pokemon)

But if we only get four slots, i expect to see this:

-Pikachu
-Jigglypuff
-Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
-Zoroark (or other possible Generation V Pokemon)

The removal of Mewtwo was big and caused an uproar, but I don't think the uproar was big enough to not allow a slot for a new generation Pokemon.

Pikachu is definitely a shoe-in, no doubt about it.

Jigglypuff is a bit iffy considering that she was a late addition in Brawl, meaning that Sakurai originally removed her but decided to add her back to buff the roster because she was quicker and easier to animate and program than Mewtwo. I think Jigglypuff will return only if Sakurai needs someone to buff the roster in the last minute again.

Pokemon Trainer is probably a bit iffy, too. It is possible that he will return with all the 1st gen starters and it is also possible that he and his Pokemon will be replaced with a new Pokemon Trainer and starters from either 2nd gen or 5th gen.

Lucario is probably gone now, especially when you consider the fact that he was the flavor of the month at the time Brawl was being developed and Zoroark is now being set up as the flavor of the month. He may return with Zoroark or he might be replaced with Zoroark. Personally, I would like to see him replaced with Zoroark.

Mewtwo is probably gone for good, but it is also possible that he might return due to fan demand and Sakurai might want to calm down these fans. I personally don't really care if he doesn't come back because I would like to see new Pokemon characters instead of rehasing the same old ones.

Here's my Pokemon roster:

1. Pikachu
2. Pokemon Trainer (1st gen or 2nd gen or 5th gen)
3. Zoroark or another 5th gen movie Pokemon
4. Mewtwo or Lucario or Jigglypuff or a new Pokemon
5. Mewtwo or Lucario or Jigglypuff or a new Pokemon

One more thing, Meowth for SSB4!!!
I think both Pikachu and Jigglypuff are shoe-ins. They've been with the series in three iteratons now, removing even just Jigglypuff would still cause a pretty big uproar among fans.

I think the first generation starter pokemon are staying. They are some of the most recognizable Pokemon and they are also still pretty popular.

It seems to me like First generation Pokemon are always dominating the Pokemon roster, with one flavor of the month pokemon. I expect the same to happen in SSB4.

And how did I know you would say something about Meowth? :laugh:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I think Sakurai has pretty much trapped himself into a corner when it comes to Pokemon. He has to please the Smash fans who want the removed Pokemon to come back. He also has to attract Pokemon fans of the latest Pokemon games to Smash. How can he do both? He might have to give six slots to the Pokemon series to satisfy everyone without removing/replacing anyone from Brawl but can anyone realistically see this happening? I don't.

There is going to be problems when we have limited number of slots for the Pokemon series. People will start complaining about the removed Pokemon. Remove Mewtwo for Lucario in Brawl, people want him back in SSB4. Remove Lucario for Mewtwo and Zoroark in SSB4, people want him back in SSB5. Remove Zoroark for Lucario and 6th gen Pokemon in SSB5, people will want him back in SSB6. Remove the 6th gen Pokemon in SSB6 for Zoroark and the 7th gen Pokemon, people will want it back in SSB7. And so on and it is a vicious cycle.

The point I'm trying to make is that fans will always concentrate their fan support on the removed Pokemon and the latest flavor of the month Pokemon. This also leaves Meowth with little fan support. Meowth has really been screwed over in Smash.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'll just jump in here...

So far, Pikachu and Jigglypuff have always been in.

Pichu was just kinda taken out. The Pokemon Trainer was thrown in.

Mewtwo was dropped and replaced by Lucario.

I don't know what will happen with Jigglypuff. I feel that since it's easy to add, and has been around the whole time, it has something to hold onto. Zoroark, being the first revealed pokemon for the fifth generation AND the star of the first 5th gen movie, has a good chance I'd say. And you know what? No complaints here.

I also agree, that the Pokemon Trainer will probably be cycled out, so next time we'd get a pokemon trainer that looks like Gold instead of Red. I'm assuming they'll just make a pokemon trainer based off of the newest remakes, which works for me. It almost makes me wish we could have Ruby as a PT... Blaziken, Grovyle, and Mudkip. =P

But honestly, I don't know if there is a way to appeal to the people who want the old stuff as well, at least not easily. I mean, I'd love to see Mewtwo again... maybe even Pichu, if time allows. But I think they would rather put the time they have into giving us new stuff-- Old movie mascot to new movie mascot, old pokemon trainer to new pokemon trainer.

Just my $0.02.

EDIT: Aha, that's right, Meowth was gonna be playable back in Smash 64 wasn't he? xD Well, it's a little too late for that.

LostAddict

Smash Apprentice
I honestly don't see Pokemon Trainer being replaced with a 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen trainer. If he is going to be replaced it would be by a 5th gen, and I highly doubt that as well. I think any pokemon from 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen pretty much have a zero percent chance of making it, whether as separate pokemon or as a 3-in-1 trainer. I'm pretty sure Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Pokemon Trainer are shoe-ins. Pikachu is obvious. I think Jiggly has been in too long now to remove her, she's probably easy enough to program and I think removing her would just anger more people than it would please them. Pokemon Trainer is a unique enough character that I really don't see being replaced. Why would he? I think there's a chance, albeit a very slim one, that he could possibly be replaced by a 5th gen trainer but I think the chances of that are very very low. If anything I could see a 5th gen trainer potentially being added, but I doubt that as well.

It's the question of Mewtwo/Lucario/Zoroark that I think we need to focus on. I'm putting bets on Mewtwo/Zoroark being the additions to SSB4. But I could see it as just Zoroark being added and replacing Lucario.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai has pretty much trapped himself into a corner when it comes to Pokemon. He has to please the Smash fans who want the removed Pokemon to come back. He also has to attract Pokemon fans of the latest Pokemon games to Smash. How can he do both? He might have to give six slots to the Pokemon series to satisfy everyone without removing/replacing anyone from Brawl but can anyone realistically see this happening? I don't.

There is going to be problems when we have limited number of slots for the Pokemon series. People will start complaining about the removed Pokemon. Remove Mewtwo for Lucario in Brawl, people want him back in SSB4. Remove Lucario for Mewtwo and Zoroark in SSB4, people want him back in SSB5. Remove Zoroark for Lucario and 6th gen Pokemon in SSB5, people will want him back in SSB6. Remove the 6th gen Pokemon in SSB6 for Zoroark and the 7th gen Pokemon, people will want it back in SSB7. And so on and it is a vicious cycle.

The point I'm trying to make is that fans will always concentrate their fan support on the removed Pokemon and the latest flavor of the month Pokemon. This also leaves Meowth with little fan support. Meowth has really been screwed over in Smash.
Assuming Pokemon is given five slots in Smash 4, there are three scenarios I see playing out:

1. The main Pokemon newcomer will be the new flavor-of-the-month Pokemon at the time of Smash 4's development.

2. Pokemon Trainer has three things that can happen to him. 1. Returning unchanged from Brawl. 2. Having his current Pokemon scrapped. 3. Being cut entirely.

3. Lucario or Mewtwo will fight over the last spot. However, there is also the scenario that both will keep it, and Pokemon Trainer will be the scrapped one.

Its not just Pokemon that Sakurai has dug himself in a hole over. But rather the series in general, eventually it is going to be more and more difficult to add newcomers to the Smash series, and the choices for possible newcomers will be increasingly obscure and minor.

In regards to Smash 4, I suggest that the cut Melee characters simply given their own collumn. That would allow Lucario to return, Mewtwo to return, and a Pokemon newcomer. This collumn would be the last one, and it would consist of Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, Pichu, and the Random button.

I think Smash 4 is the last possible Smash to have all existing fighting within one game. I hope someone has the opportunity to ask him if he plans to ever bring back Melee's cut veterans once he decides to begin development on Smash 4.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Heres how i see it.

Pikachu and Jigglypuff are going to be in it. I have no doubt about that in my mind.

Some form of pokemon trainer will be in as well. Most likely one having charizard, squirtle, and ivy.

Mewtwo SHOULD return, seeing as their is no way sakurai wont be seeing that on the polls he posts in japan. Hopefully we get a poll as well.

Now, i think people should just expect lucario's slot to be the generation of the year slot. Pichu was first, then Lucario, now Zoroark.

pikachu
Jigglypuff
Pokemon Trainer
Mewtwo
Fifth Generatiom

Sorry second and third seres :/

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
I don't think we will get six... but I am definitely expecting five slots, no doubt. Also, I don't think removing Lucario will cause as much of an uproar as removing Mewtwo did.

First of all, being from the first generation and all, Mewtwo has a lot of nostalgic worth like the rest of the first generation Pokemon. And his removal took many people by surprise considering he wasn't a clone and he was also a somewhat popular character. Now Lucario isn't a clone either, but many people are expecting him to be cut. It isn't much of a surprise. Sure his removal might not be taken lightly by many of his fans, but after the same happened with Pichu. He was the flovor of the month in Melee, he was removed, and fans were disappointed. But not enough to expect him to return in SSB4, not as much disappointment compared to Mewtwo.

Now Lucario is the flavor of the month character. People will be disappointed at his removal, but it won't be enough compared to Mewtwo.

Oh, and I would absolutely love it if Meowth got into SSB4! Sadly, he doesn't have much of a chance anymore.

I'll just jump in here...

So far, Pikachu and Jigglypuff have always been in.

Pichu was just kinda taken out. The Pokemon Trainer was thrown in.

Mewtwo was dropped and replaced by Lucario.
Actually, Mewtwo was replaced by the Pokemon Trainer and Pichu was replaced with Lucario. Also, you're right about Jigglypuff. I'm sure it will stay. But Pokemon Trainer? Who knows.... I wouldn't mind if we got second generation starter pokemon, but I expect they'll stay first generation.

EDIT: Aha, that's right, Meowth was gonna be playable back in Smash 64 wasn't he? xD Well, it's a little too late for that.
Actually, that was just a rumor. The only characters confirmed to have been originally planned for SSB64 are Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Actually, Mewtwo was replaced by the Pokemon Trainer and Pichu was replaced with Lucario. Also, you're right about Jigglypuff. I'm sure it will stay. But Pokemon Trainer? Who knows.... I wouldn't mind if we got second generation starter pokemon, but I expect they'll stay first generation.

Actually, that was just a rumor. The only characters confirmed to have been originally planned for SSB64 are Bowser, Mewtwo, and King Dedede.
1. Does it really matter? xD MEWTWO and PICHU were replaced by PT and LUCARIO. The specific combination of who replaced who is irrelevant.

2. To above, why would it be FIFTH gen starters? =\ We got Brawl long after the first generation, you know. They could have given us Grotle, Piplup, and Infernape instead. I'm sure next time, we'll just get another swap-out like with Young Link to Toon Link, something replaced with something the same and different at the same time.

3. On the same note, why would it STAY the first generation starters? I mean, I would imagine they would mix it up a bit, or add a 2nd generation trainer on top of that. If we had Red and Gold as two separate characters, I'm sorry, that's just awesome. Sadly, it sounds too awesome for something that would really happen.

4. That was a rumor? =\ It said on Smash Wiki for a long time that Meowth and Peach were also rumored. I dunno about Peach, but Meowth... I dunno. I knew about Bowser though. I learned the hard way about it, skimming Gamefaqs and finding a huge guide that tells you how to unlock Bowser. He must have thought Ness was Bowser, because Ness was...

Okay, sorry. That's off topic. But yeah, just... xD First three points.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
1. Does it really matter? xD MEWTWO and PICHU were replaced by PT and LUCARIO. The specific combination of who replaced who is irrelevant.

2. To above, why would it be FIFTH gen starters? =\ We got Brawl long after the first generation, you know. They could have given us Grotle, Piplup, and Infernape instead. I'm sure next time, we'll just get another swap-out like with Young Link to Toon Link, something replaced with something the same and different at the same time.

3. On the same note, why would it STAY the first generation starters? I mean, I would imagine they would mix it up a bit, or add a 2nd generation trainer on top of that. If we had Red and Gold as two separate characters, I'm sorry, that's just awesome. Sadly, it sounds too awesome for something that would really happen.

4. That was a rumor? =\ It said on Smash Wiki for a long time that Meowth and Peach were also rumored. I dunno about Peach, but Meowth... I dunno. I knew about Bowser though. I learned the hard way about it, skimming Gamefaqs and finding a huge guide that tells you how to unlock Bowser. He must have thought Ness was Bowser, because Ness was...

Okay, sorry. That's off topic. But yeah, just... xD First three points.
1) It's small details like that that can help speculation sometimes. Sorry though, it really isn't that big of a deal. I was just throwing in a comment.

2) I don't think we would get fifth generation Pokemon either. We could have had fourth generation pokemon, but like you said, we got first generation pokemon. But you can also think about it this way: Nearly two years before Brawl began development, Pokemon versions FireRed and LeafGreen were released, the remakes of the first generation games. Sakurai's choices on the first generation Pokemon could be based on these games release, as they were the latest Pokemon versions released before Brawl's development. Still, this seems unlikely that this was the reason they were chosen to me.

3) If you go by the theory I suggested above, then Gold and Silver Pokemon would be next in line for the Pokemon trainer, considering their remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver were released not too long ago. I don't think we'll see two Pokemon Trainers though, as awesome as that would be.

4) Meowth, Peach, and Pit were just rumors. It bugs me about how they are still listed as "supposedly planned for SSB64" on SmashWiki. But you have to remember, that it is a wiki.

majora_787

Smash Hero
1) It's small details like that that can help speculation sometimes. Sorry though, it really isn't that big of a deal. I was just throwing in a comment.

2) I don't think we would get fifth generation Pokemon either. We could have had fourth generation pokemon, but like you said, we got first generation pokemon. But you can also think about it this way: Nearly two years before Brawl began development, Pokemon versions FireRed and LeafGreen were released, the remakes of the first generation games. Sakurai's choices on the first generation Pokemon could be based on these games release, as they were the latest Pokemon versions released before Brawl's development. Still, this seems unlikely that this was the reason they were chosen to me.

3) If you go by the theory I suggested above, then Gold and Silver Pokemon would be next in line for the Pokemon trainer, considering their remakes HeartGold and SoulSilver were released not too long ago. I don't think we'll see two Pokemon Trainers though, as awesome as that would be.

4) Meowth, Peach, and Pit were just rumors. It bugs me about how they are still listed as "supposedly planned for SSB64" on SmashWiki. But you have to remember, that it is a wiki.
3. I honestly would think they would make a more gradual transition with PT than, "Here's Kanto... and Here's ISSHU SURPRISE ______ ______S!!!"

4. All of the OTHER info on the wiki is okay though, right? :laugh: That's where I get a lot of my info, because people tend to be less than helpful when put on the spot...

If they seriously had Red and Gold in the same game, that would just be amazing. I won't lie.

Just a bit off the pokemon subject for a sec... On average, 4 and a half years go by between smash bros. games, right? So if there's a new one coming, we'd probably hear about it around the supposed end of humanity as we know it? =P

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Smash Wiki has a lot of incorrect info when it comes to non-gameplay subjects. If it's not from Sakurai or Nintendo it's really dubious.

And I don't see why people think Red and the Kanto starters would be replaced, especially Red is essentially Ash and those three are still the most popular starters after all this time.

edit: first Smash was 1999, Melee was 2001, Brawl was 2008, so the average there is pretty meaningless. Also Sakurai will be busy until 2011 with Kid Icarus and there's no way they'll start and finish a new Smash game in a year's time

majora_787

Smash Hero
Smash Wiki has a lot of incorrect info when it comes to non-gameplay subjects. If it's not from Sakurai or Nintendo it's really dubious.

And I don't see why people think Red and the Kanto starters would be replaced, especially Red is essentially Ash and those three are still the most popular starters after all this time.

edit: first Smash was 1999, Melee was 2001, Brawl was 2008, so the average there is pretty meaningless. Also Sakurai will be busy until 2011 with Kid Icarus and there's no way they'll start and finish a new Smash game in a year's time
No one said finish. <_< I mostly mean like how we heard about Brawl in '06.

But yeah, Being far enough into it to be able to publicize it would probably take longer in that case.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Oh, well then it depends on whether Sakurai works on anything else between KI and a new Smash game. Also depends on a new hardware announcement (unless you're talking about 3DS or you're one of those people who thinks another Wii Smash is a good idea).

Yeah 2012-2013 is about right for news.

Spydr Enzo

Smash Ace
3. I honestly would think they would make a more gradual transition with PT than, "Here's Kanto... and Here's ISSHU SURPRISE ______ ______S!!!"

4. All of the OTHER info on the wiki is okay though, right? :laugh: That's where I get a lot of my info, because people tend to be less than helpful when put on the spot...

If they seriously had Red and Gold in the same game, that would just be amazing. I won't lie.

Just a bit off the pokemon subject for a sec... On average, 4 and a half years go by between smash bros. games, right? So if there's a new one coming, we'd probably hear about it around the supposed end of humanity as we know it? =P
3) I agree, that's why I think the next step would be Gold and Silver Pokemon IF the Trainer got new Pokemon, which I still find somewhat unlikely.

4) I haven't read through all the information, but I would assume that most people there know what they're talking about. Always beware in a wiki though.

Apparently, SSB64 began development sometime in late 1997/early 1998 (not totally sure) and was released early in 1999. Melee was a bit rushed but was released late in 2001. Putting almost three years between those titles. I'm assuming Melee began development late in 1999, correct me if I'm wrong. Not quite four and a half years there.I know Brawl began development in late 2005, nearly four years after Melee was released. We didn't exactly hear about it until later, in 2006.

There was about a year, and maybe not even that much time, between the release of SSB64 and the beginning of Melee's development. There were close to four years between the release of Melee and the beginning of Brawl's development. I expect something like this to happen again. If it does, we probably won't hear about SSB4 until maybe late in 2012 or early in 2013.

All because of those **** ancient mayans, we will never get to experience SSB4...

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hahaha. Let's not blame the Mayans for 2012. We don't know for sure what 2012 really means. :p I personally think the Mayans just calculated how long it takes for the solar system itself to revolve around the whole galaxy and found 2012 to be the "new year" of the solar system. That, or they calculated when Planet X where God, Jesus, Zeus, Odin, and Marduk call home will get close to Earth so they could battle against Satan, Anti-Christ, Raptor Jesus, and the Four Horsemen in the war called Apocalypse. :p Either way, lulz will be had.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Hahaha. Let's not blame the Mayans for 2012. We don't know for sure what 2012 really means. :p I personally think the Mayans just calculated how long it takes for the solar system itself to revolve around the whole galaxy and found 2012 to be the "new year" of the solar system. That, or they calculated when Planet X where God, Jesus, Zeus, Odin, and Marduk call home will get close to Earth so they could battle against Satan, Anti-Christ, Raptor Jesus, and the Four Horsemen in the war called Apocalypse. :p Either way, lulz will be had.
My favorite explanation is this: It just means the calander ended. They did die out after all, it would have had to end EVENTUALLY.

xD But yeah. SSB4 will be a nice present for the "apocalypse" survivors.

RetroAntonio

Smash Apprentice
k listen guise!!!!

Masked Man
Knuckles
(Maybe) Vectorman
Duster :D
Megaman
Geno
Lil' Mac
-JOKE CHARACTERS-
Lil' Wayne
AVGN
Nostalgia Critic
Missingno
Lampy from Brave Little Toaster
Prince Naveen
Heavy
Scout
Spy
Angry german Kid
Super Metaknight
Mike Tyson
Missing ear
your mother
ToiseofChoice
Gabe Newell
Ryu
Ryu Hayabusa
Gordon Freeman
Gordon Slaveman
Hard Snake
the letter D
cookie monster
-THE ULTIMATE CHARACTER-
Cloud n' Candy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-XTe7z-q8

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
My favorite explanation is this: It just means the calander ended. They did die out after all, it would have had to end EVENTUALLY.

xD But yeah. SSB4 will be a nice present for the "apocalypse" survivors.
Let's just hope that Sakurai is one of those Apocalypse survivors. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_calendar#Long_Count

Means Happy New B'ak'tun is what.

Arc I'm still not used to your avatar
LOL What am I supposed to do about that? People suddenly complained about my not having an avatar so I picked one I liked. It got Squirtle, Pikachu, and Meowth - three of my favorite Pokemon (and I hope to see all three of them in Smash).

But yeah, Baktun is it. The ancients sure had interesting ideas anc views about the universe. :)

Clownbot

Smash Lord
k listen guise!!!!

Masked Man
Knuckles
(Maybe) Vectorman
Duster :D
Megaman
Geno
Lil' Mac
-JOKE CHARACTERS-
Lil' Wayne
AVGN
Nostalgia Critic
Missingno
Lampy from Brave Little Toaster
Prince Naveen
Heavy
Scout
Spy
Angry german Kid
Super Metaknight
Mike Tyson
Missing ear
your mother
ToiseofChoice
Gabe Newell
Ryu
Ryu Hayabusa
Gordon Freeman
Gordon Slaveman
Hard Snake
the letter D
cookie monster
-THE ULTIMATE CHARACTER-
Cloud n' Candy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-XTe7z-q8
-JOKE CHARACTERS-
Ryu Hayabusa
-JOKE CHARACTERS-
Ryu Hayabusa
Does not compute.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Well, IF Sakurai goes from The new kid icarus to SSB4, i would assume Kid Icarus is CLOSE to being done. If this is true, he has plenty of tim to make Smash 4, so he can do what he wants, without the rush. Which ultimately will make the better game. However, I expect him to start a different project after Kid Icarus to be honest. He seems very tired of doing the same thing for the past....... eleven years. Which i cant blame him.

Im wondering, if he starts a new project, will nintendo get someone else to start SSB4? If so, who do you think it would be? And this might just be me, but do you think Shigeru Miyamoto would do a good job? If Shigeru didnt do it, idk who else should. Maybe a developer whos been one Sakurais Team for a long time. Either would be good.

And pardon the gay in me but, Shigeru Miyamoto is just the cutest thing!

He has a Shetland Sheepdog named Pikku that provided the inspiration for Nintendogs. He is also a semi-professional dog breeder. He has been quoted as stating, "Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll." Miyamoto also has stated that he has a hobby of guessing the measurements of objects, then checking to see if he was correct, and apparently carries a tape measure with him everywhere.
He sounds fuuun :D Ill MAKE him my new bff >:p

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Im wondering, if he starts a new project, will nintendo get someone else to start SSB4? If so, who do you think it would be? And this might just be me, but do you think Shigeru Miyamoto would do a good job? If Shigeru didnt do it, idk who else should. Maybe a developer whos been one Sakurais Team for a long time. Either would be good.
I don't know if Miyamoto would be right for the job, but I do know that he would know to focus on the multiplayer. Other than that, we haven't seen Miyamoto work a lot on a fighting game so it's a really good question.

As for who else? I don't know. It'd be surprising if we saw Daisuke Ishiwatari, the creator of Guilty Gear who also does the music in that series and BlazBlue.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
I don't know if Miyamoto would be right for the job, but I do know that he would know to focus on the multiplayer. Other than that, we haven't seen Miyamoto work a lot on a fighting game so it's a really good question.

As for who else? I don't know. It'd be surprising if we saw Daisuke Ishiwatari, the creator of Guilty Gear who also does the music in that series and BlazBlue.
People suggesting Miyamoto aren't too familiar with what he actually does these days (hint: it's not directing). He's not even an option.

I would assume if someone were to replace Sakurai, it would be someone appointed by Sakurai himself (or if circumstances prevented that, Iwata would decide). Guess it could be someone outside of Nintendo but regardless it'd be someone who thinks the way Sakurai does.

BBQTV

Smash Master
do you guys still not get it? sakurai dug his whole when he put those clone characters in melee just to make the roster bigger not knowing they would be liked

my friend says donkey kong doesn't deservi to be in smash
lolololololololololololololololololololololololololololololol

and he is dead serious when he says this..........................

UberMario

Smash Master
Just out of curiosity, what character does your friend want in the most?
Just to see how lolzworthy that DK statment is.

BBQTV

Smash Master
you do realize that was ******** to say in this thread talking about the next smash right?

majora_787

Smash Hero
you do realize that was ******** to say in this thread talking about the next smash right?
I don't think he does.

So... Let me think...

I'm starting to believe that we'll run out of ideas to discuss before Smash 4 is even announced. When it is, everyone but Ridley will have their own thread for discussion. =P So... I dunno.

TheShuckler

Smash Rookie
I want all the characters balanced.

Characters I want in:
Ninten, Paper Mario, Isaac, Shadow Mario/Baby Bowser, Geno, and Mallow.

Kantrip

Kantplay
I've been thinking, and I've decided that an Animal Buddy combo from the DKC games would be the best thing I could ever ask for in the next game. I'm thinking like the pokemon trainer deal, and the 3 buddies would be Squawks, Squitter, and Rambi in that order. I've got a moveset for them and everything.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
It's from this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872

And this is required reading:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Stor...ing-a-comprehensive-list-of-unused-characters

Or if you can't find the relevant section:

There’s a list of the “top characters”, along with data on “how many times Sakurai mentioned each character” or “how many votes they got”. None of those are really true. Like I said, the suggestions that were posted on the Brawl site were only a small selection. If you went through the posted Melee suggestions and counted up all the appearances of the name of any character from the poll, it probably wouldn’t be the same as the actual poll results. And on top of that, the number of mentions isn’t even accurate – the list was created by people who went through those pages with an online translator and counted up the number of times they saw a character’s name, whether or not it was an actual “vote” for the character.

The annoying thing about this is that the posted Brawl suggestions no longer exist – they were on the old Brawl site, which was replaced by the current one (even though the other suggestions are still intact). They can be accessed with the Wayback Machine, though.

There’s only one detail we know about the Brawl polls – Sonic was number one. That’s all. I’m just bringing this up because there are still some people who bring up that list above in arguments and say “Geno was one of the most requested characters on Sakurai’s poll, he should have gotten in!”

The entire post from Sir Ilpalazzo makes for some good reading if you're bored, that guy knows what's good.

majora_787

Smash Hero
It's from this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=71872

And this is required reading:

http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Stor...ing-a-comprehensive-list-of-unused-characters

Or if you can't find the relevant section:

There’s a list of the “top characters”, along with data on “how many times Sakurai mentioned each character” or “how many votes they got”. None of those are really true. Like I said, the suggestions that were posted on the Brawl site were only a small selection. If you went through the posted Melee suggestions and counted up all the appearances of the name of any character from the poll, it probably wouldn’t be the same as the actual poll results. And on top of that, the number of mentions isn’t even accurate – the list was created by people who went through those pages with an online translator and counted up the number of times they saw a character’s name, whether or not it was an actual “vote” for the character.

The annoying thing about this is that the posted Brawl suggestions no longer exist – they were on the old Brawl site, which was replaced by the current one (even though the other suggestions are still intact). They can be accessed with the Wayback Machine, though.

There’s only one detail we know about the Brawl polls – Sonic was number one. That’s all. I’m just bringing this up because there are still some people who bring up that list above in arguments and say “Geno was one of the most requested characters on Sakurai’s poll, he should have gotten in!”

The entire post from Sir Ilpalazzo makes for some good reading if you're bored, that guy knows what's good.
So basically, that thing counted the number of times the characters were mentioned, not the number of times they were voted for?

Wow. But even then that should be a relatively good determiner. I mean, the most-mentioned character is most likely in over the least-mentioned.

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
Yeah, sort of:

King Dedede (5)

Diddy Kong (4)

Geno (4)
Ike (4)
Ridley (4)

Captain Olimar & Pikmin (3)
Krystal (3)
Takamaru (3)
Toon Link (3)

Animal Crossing MC (2)
Claus (2)
Demiru (2)
Isaac (2)
Jeff (2)
Dr. Kawashima (2)
King K. Rool (2)
Lip (2)
Lucas (2)
Mega Man (2)
Oguma (2)
Ouendan (2)
Sukapon (2)

Follows a general trend, definitely, but obviously not all of the oft-mentioned characters were playable (though most appeared some other way) and most of the newcomers aren't mentioned regardless.

The real poll results would've been considerably more interesting for what goes on here though.

edit: more specifically, it's how well everyone who didn't get in did that most of us want to see

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
anyway at all to get those?

They seem like such a prize to read through :p

ToiseOfChoice

Smash Ace
fly to Japan, meet Sakurai, ransack home computer, etc.

edit: oh, if you mean the ones that were actually posted, use wayback machine. If you can read google translate and whatnot, check them out here

I know Fatman has a few fully translated posts on Geno, he might have some other ones too

double edit: okay scratch that, it only has the first ten posts

triple edit: turns out I suck at waybacking, the whole thing's there, I'll post more if it turns out you guys are actually interested in these

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
@toise, so explain to me what are going on in these things im reading? And yea, im interested in reading these. But it only lets you read the first page. And only Clause and Megaman have been discussed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom