• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smooth Lander Anchor Jump Thread

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811

What is SLAJ?

SLAJ is a preset equipment build for Smash 4 that gives bonus effects and is completely in game legal without modifying your Wii U console. The current equipment build consist of:​
  • Smooth Lander: Which reduces all aerial moves (nair, fair, bair, dair, up-air) landing lag by 1/3. For example, Ganondorf's down-air in Vanilla Sm4sh has 26 frames of landing lag. In SLAJ, he only has 17 frames of landing lag. This means he can dair an opponent at 0%, and get a grab before they are able to act out of hitstun.​
  • Anchor Jump: This is the biggest change in SLAJ. Anchor Jump increases gravity by 1.4x, fall speed by 1.4x, and fastfall speed by 1.1x. This means that characters do not jump as high, they fall faster to the ground, and they don't go as high when being knocked vertically.​
The last ability varies depending on the character. The heavy gravity had an increased affect on multijump characters, and certain characters recovery moves. To help this, we gave certain characters the following abilities.
  • Double Jump Boost: This increases double jump height by 1.3x. We gave this to Pit, Dark Pit, Kirby, Dedede, Meta Knight, Charizard, and Jigglypuff. Their double jumps still don't go as high as Vanilla sm4sh, but it increases their recovery, edge guarding capabilities, and general maneuverability.​
  • Gluey Edge: Increases ledge grab range by 1.3x. We gave this to Luigi, Donkey Kong, Diddy, Link, Toon Link, Samus, Robin, and Doc. All these characters Up-Bs (And Luigi/Doc's tornado) were nerfed in vertical distance by the heavy gravity. While gluey edge doesn't fix it completely, it does noticeably help out with them getting to the ledge.​
  • Super Final Smasher: This is given to every other character and is used purely for the stats.​
The stats with everything applied:
0 Attack / 0 Defense / +23 Speed​
DISCLAIMER!
SLAJ is not trying in anyway to replace Vanilla Sm4sh. We've just had a lot of fun playing this mode, and would like other people to try it and have fun themselves!
What is it like?
SLAJ offers a much faster sm4sh experience. Where vanilla sm4sh is very neutral focused, SLAJ is very tech chase focused. The increased speed and gravity makes combos a lot more prevalent, and It also makes edgeguarding very rewarding as recoveries become much more linear and punishable. If you'd like to see some SLAJ in action, you can watch some of the videos provided below.

How do I get it?

3 Requirements:
Smash Bros. for 3DS
11.0.0 Firmware on your 3DS
An SD card

SLAJ uses a universal save file for USA copies of the game. Using homebrew, you can overwrite a save file for Smash 3ds and transfer all the SLAJ custom builds to WiiU. The total transfer process should take about 20 minutes. However, as long as one person you know has the ability to access homebrew on 3DS, you can setup as many WiiU's with SLAJ as you'd like. The latest method of booting up Homebrew is used with the internet browser and is compatible with 11.0.0 firmware. Below, I will walk you through getting Homebrew booted up, and Getting SLAJ.

1. You need to download the Homebrew starter kit from this website: https://smealum.github.io/3ds/
Scroll down until you see the link to the starter kit and download, then extract to the root of the sd card. You should have a 3ds folder, and a boot.3dsx file on the root.

2. Download Save Data Manager found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/save-data-manager-and-editor-for-firmware-up-to-9-9.396245/
Scroll down to where it says "Attached files" and download the file included.
Extract to the SD card
You should now have a folder called save_manager in the 3DS folder.

3. On the root of the SD card, make a folder called saveDataBackup
Inside that folder, make another folder called save_data

4. Download the SLAJ Pack found here: https://mega.nz/#!QYtBzIgC!SeF-DIqXjNi6j8lFre6ABisBhVT9RAKcygpOf8ZYCYA
Put the account_data.bin and system_data.bin files into the save_data folder

5. Put the SD card back into the 3DS and boot it up.
Go to system setting and change the date to January 1st 2000, and the time to 00:00

6. Go into your Internet Browser settings and hit "initialize save data" on Old3DS or "reset save data" on New3DS.

7. Now enter in the following url depending on 3ds
Old3DS/2DS: http://yls8.mtheall.com/spider31hax.php
New3DS: http://yls8.mtheall.com/skater31hax.php

Homebrew can be finicky, so if it doesn't work the first few times, keep trying.

8. Now you should be in the Homebrew Launcher. If you haven't at this point already, put in your Smash 3DS Cartridge.

9. Scroll down to save_manager and Press "a"
Now select Smash for 3DS and press "a"

10. You should be booted into the save manager screen.

If you would like to keep your save file, press "a" to select Backup save data. This will take your smash 3ds save and make an account_data.bin and system_data.bin. press "x" to exit and then turn off homebrew. Take those files from your sd card and put them somewhere on your computer. You will now have to put the SLAJ account_data.bin and system_data.bin files back into the save_data folder.

For injecting the SLAJ save, press "b" to Import save data. Once its done, press "x" to exit. Then you can turn off your 3ds.

11. Boot up your Smash 3DS cartridge and every character will be loaded with an SLAJ custom slot! If you need to purchase DLC characters, you will need to manually put the equipment on yourself.

All DLC characters use Smooth Lander Brawn Badge, Anchor Jump Agility Badge, and Super Final Smasher Protection Badge.

Alternatively, if you can access homebrew but only have smash downloaded off the eshop, you're going to need to edit the equipment yourself. Because you cannot backup cartridge data to downloaded smash off the eShop. If you'd like to know the values of the equipment, send me a PM on Smashboards or Discord and I'll walk you through it. The equipment editer can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-sm4sh-save-editor.382699/

You will also need Java to use the editer: https://www.java.com/en/

To backup/copy your save file with homebrew, you will also need Save Data Manager found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/save-data-manager-and-editor-for-firmware-up-to-9-9.396245/

If you have any questions, or would like to play SLAJ online with other people you can head over to the official SLAJ discord below

If you need any help don't be afraid to shoot me a message on Discord and I'll be happy to help you out!

Last edited:

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
Interesting. I like this quite a bit. Seems pretty balanced, and could end up being a side event at tournies.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
What are the benefits of doing this over SLHG?
As fun as SLHG was, it had its fair share of problems. The most important being that you could not play online or go into training mode with it. Now with equipment, you can do both! The increased gravity also screwed a few characters recoveries. Sonic, Megaman, and Duck Hunts for example. But here, they all work as they should.

We were also able to get a bit more creative with equipment editing. 0 attack and defense means you don't have to worry about damage modification, and the increased speed helps with mobility, and jump heights. The last skill we could use to help multi-jump characters and those whose recoveries were also nerfed with the gravity.

Overall, its a vast improvement over SLHG and feels a lot more natural.

Last edited:

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
Can I set this up without homebrew?
Unfortunately, Homebrew is currently the only way of distributing the SLAJ build. Nintendo patched out browserhax the most reliable way we did it before with newer firmware. If something else does open up however, I will gladly update the OP.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
This seems really interesting! I look forward to trying this out with friends. Could get some extra life out of SSB4, which isn't played so much among my friend group anymore.

Raikaru

Smash Rookie
Wait...I just realized... Since this doesn't need special smash it works for 3DS! Sign me up!

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
Glad you guys kept the speed. Gonna have to find a source for getting this OOT 3d homebrew working.

ArtfulHobbes

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArtfulHobbes2.0
3DS FC
4339-2578-0811
I made an edit to the OP. It actually is possible to get the equipment you need while having smash downloaded from the eShop. You'll still need Homebrew, and you'll have to edit the equipment yourself using an equipment editer. I can provide you the values you need if you are able to do it.

mariohead64

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm one of those who has Sm4sh from the eShop, as well as being from Europe. Could I get those values to do it myself if possible?

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Oh, so this is the new thread... durr. Well, I guess I'll post here too.

There's a new homebrew exploit coming within 1 week for SmileBASIC, I'd recommend getting the game sooner rather than later if you can't homebrew.

EDIT: Instructions say it's not for current FW, but I decided to try it anyway, and I got homebrew working. I'm on old 3Ds, 11.0.33-U. Here are the instructions I used to download the BasicSploit project, instead of making my own, it saves a boatload of time.

"1.- Open the game in 3.2.1
2.- Click on Publish/Download Projects
3.- Click on Download (Receive) using Public Key
4.- Click on yes
5.- Enter this Public Key --> CXDV43D4
6.- Click OK 7.- Click Yes"

Last edited:

TheDerp

Smash Cadet
Roses are Red, Violets are Red, Everything is Red.
NNID
DerpynessRules
New Homebrew exploit that any 3DS user can use https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVmN5N3TyM
I recommend you get SLAJ as soon as possible if you're interested in it.

EDIT:
Hi, I'm one of those who has Sm4sh from the eShop, as well as being from Europe. Could I get those values to do it myself if possible?
You can always download the save that has the badges and see the values for yourself.
I would show you the values myself, but right now I'm currently on Mac, and Mac has a few issues with the process here.

Last edited:

IamTM21

Smash Rookie
I have gotten home brew to work on my 11.0 3ds using the new browserhack exploit, but I'm not sure what to do next, as I don't seem to have a save editor app on mine. Is there a save editor beyond 9.9 to use?
BTW: slaj looks fantastic, I was finally convinced to try getting it after seeing some of those montages

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
I have gotten home brew to work on my 11.0 3ds using the new browserhack exploit, but I'm not sure what to do next, as I don't seem to have a save editor app on mine. Is there a save editor beyond 9.9 to use?
BTW: slaj looks fantastic, I was finally convinced to try getting it after seeing some of those montages
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7VGqv2RnmrTR0VER0gyZDhLNkE/view
what you want to do is download that, search in those folder (depending on which 3ds type you have) for the 3ds folder and copy that to your sd card route folder or if you already a 3ds foler on your sd ccard just copy the contents from the 3ds folder (save manager folder) into your 3ds folder

IamTM21

Smash Rookie
Thanks so much! It works perfectly now.
First impressions:
General- much more sliding, super easy to over commit and fly offstage to your death, sniping and gimping are far more effective than in normal smash 4
Lucas- forward air sour spot leads into stuff, up throw up air works at a much wider percent, up throw is no longer a reliable kill throw, but forward and back throws work more effectively, increased speed makes pk thunder unreliable
Ike- throws lead into extended stuff, recovery is much worse
Roy- works now
Cloud- up air, up air
Mewtwo- feels the same?
Marth- Kept accidentally killing people with tipper, feels good
Dedede- Wall of pain kind of works?, feels jerky
Corrin- feels heavy, everything looks like it leads into something else, not good enough to tell
Palutena- Fantastic, donesn't feel nearly as awkward as base palutena, custom set was a nice touch
Ganondorf- Almost Fantastic, feels better than slhg gannon, can't reach top platform on battlefield ):
G&W- See gannon
Falco- Feels great, things naturally link together
Ness- back throw works, down air is neat, pk thunder is extremely awkward
Rob- short hop neutral air no longer works on 3ds, feels awkward

Overall: Super Excited

Last edited:

IamTM21

Smash Rookie
Having played more of slaj, I'm really enjoying it. It's not perfect, Link's, Diddy's and Samus' recovery really suffer, and certain characters do become worse like Lucas (although the more I use him the more advantages I find), but it really does change the style of the game in a way that I really enjoy. It's way more fast paced, and most characters and combos move around In a way that feels way more natural. It's also still very different and more forgiving than melee, which is great.

For example, cloud becomes even more terrifying on stage now, but up air kills much later and his recovery is now abysmal without limit. Mario gets even more combos, but his up smash is less effective, and he is fairly easy to gimp. Link becomes fast enough to actually almost do something, and his arrows are now very effective at punishing people who try to recover high. Dedede is actually capable of follow ups now which is amazing.

I'm super impressed with this and now I'm having trouble going back to regular smash.

Edit: Has anyone ever created a list of what characters benefit and lose from SLAJ?

Last edited:

Lekwall

Smash Rookie
Would it not be possible to use wiiu homebrew Saviine to extract a save from the wiiu version that has the gear unlocked? That way people without a 3ds might be able to play SLAJ. It would overwrite their other data, but I would be willing to give it a shot!

Btw, the Discord link seems to be broken

SAHunterMech

Smash Journeyman
Well, I mean, now there's at least a few mods that do what SLAJ does but waaaaay better. You've got Artful Lander and Smash Rebuffed, just off the top of my head.

Top Bottom