• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Q&A Thread

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I know about how some characters, it is preferable or necessary (Yoshi) to have the tap jump off. I've always used tap jump because it just feels comfortable, but does it hurt playability with Luigi to have it either on or off?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I know about how some characters, it is preferable or necessary (Yoshi) to have the tap jump off. I've always used tap jump because it just feels comfortable, but does it hurt playability with Luigi to have it either on or off?
I use to think this to. if you're not use to playing with tap jump on as Luigi you will get a lot of fail up bs since you might jump.

But I keep it on since I've learned how to not jump during up b with tap jump on and it helps me in stringing combos together.

Other than that I don't think there are any other problems with having tap jump on as Luigi.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I use to think this to. if you're not use to playing with tap jump on as Luigi you will get a lot of fail up bs since you might jump.

But I keep it on since I've learned how to not jump during up b with tap jump on and it helps me in stringing combos together.

Other than that I don't think there are any other problems with having tap jump on as Luigi.
Okay than. Thanks again. ^_^

yoshq

Smash Master
I disagree. I think having tap jump on ****s up my comboes. I've had it off ever since I found out I could at the beginning of brawl, and use L for upb oos. With it off, I can uair and do whatever air move I want more easily without fear of accidentally jumping over their head uselessly.

TreK

Is "that guy"
I'm a stickjumper haha.
Melee players were really biased and quick to judge that topic, and for some reason no one ever questions this, but in brawl, jumping with the stick is not stupid unless you're a Yoshi player or performing a ledge hop.

Bazooka Joe

Smash Apprentice
I'm a stickjumper haha.
Melee players were really biased and quick to judge that topic, and for some reason no one ever questions this, but in brawl, jumping with the stick is not stupid unless you're a Yoshi player or performing a ledge hop.
Yoshi's my secondary and I tried playing without tap on today with him and Luigi. I did horribly horrible. -_-"

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well...
stickjumping's main advantages :
-easier short hops and buffered aerials
-easier jumps oos (yoshi can't jump oos)
stickjumping's main disadvantages :
-loss of your double jump if you perform an upB (yoshi has to upB first and then DJ to recover in most cases)
-harder uptilts and shield tilting upwards (yoshi can't tilt his shield but the utilt part remains)

To sum it up :
[stickjumping 2 - 3 tap jump off] for yoshi. You're just not used to it yet maybe.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Some questions:

Who is jab-->up-b guaranteed on or just "really strong" against them due to weight/fall speed/ hurtbox size etc.?

Can someone explain what makes tornado rise? For example you can make it rise with a jump but you can also make it rise by inputting it w/o a ff/downward momentum shift and mashing b fast(similar to how snake makes it so he can c4 under smashville).

yoshq

Smash Master
Some questions:

Who is jab-->up-b guaranteed on or just "really strong" against them due to weight/fall speed/ hurtbox size etc.?

Can someone explain what makes tornado rise? For example you can make it rise with a jump but you can also make it rise by inputting it w/o a ff/downward momentum shift and mashing b fast(similar to how snake makes it so he can c4 under smashville).
What makes tornado rise? Mashing I guess?

Jab upb question: http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=8646266&postcount=185

me9595

Smash Apprentice
Are there any tips you can five me for mixing up my approach? My friends said that i have started to become too predictable in how i am approaching. I use cyclone and fire ball a lot, but i also sometimes just attack straight on.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
Thanks, I have seen the video before but I had forgotten about it, but I am also wondering if there is a thread that talks about follow-ups to down throw for different characters and different situations

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Thanks, I have seen the video before but I had forgotten about it, but I am also wondering if there is a thread that talks about follow-ups to down throw for different characters and different situations
Well most of them are the same. Up air after dthrow, nair, up b, upsmash, or w/e. Anything works.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
i use those but it seems that some characters are able to shield certain smash attacks before you can do them, like snake and forward smash, i guess ill just have to figure it out myself then

Luigisama

Smash Champion
i use those but it seems that some characters are able to shield certain smash attacks before you can do them, like snake and forward smash, i guess ill just have to figure it out myself then
well I give you a couple of guaranteed follow ups.

On mk dthrow to upsmash works at low percents.

On Dk dthrow to upair works fine due to his size

on snake dthrow to nair works well since snake has slow aerials and his only other option is to either airdodge or pull out a grenade.

dengel

Smash Cadet
I'm a fairly new weegee and I've got a few questions to list off, mainly about jab cancel/follow ups.

When is a crouching jab cancel required for follow-ups (like the ones listed in the chart below)? I don't notice even the slightest difference between crouching and not crouching after the jab for jab->upb or jab->ftilt.

How can I test if I'm doing jab cancels and follow-ups correctly in training mode (if possible)?

This chart can be found in this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907
Advantage (Unblockable Jab 1 follow-ups when timed properly):
10+ Turn-Around U-Smash; U-Air
8+ N-Air
7+ Down-B
6+ Up-B; Turn-Around U-Tilt; (Grab)
5+ D-Smash; D-Tilt; F-Tilt
3+ Jab-Cancel -> Jab 1
-6+ Jab 2
I'm kind of confused what this chart is saying. Does "10+" mean it requires 10+ frames of advantage to pull it off after a Jab1 (meaning it's more difficult, which kind of contradicts the color scheme used in the chart leading to my confusion)? And then what would the "-6+" mean for Jab2?

What would be a good follow up against a Mario who tends to air dodge right out of a down throw?

For jab->dtilt->upb, is the upb unavoidable if the dtilt trips them and you're close enough to upb without walking up to them?

That's all I could think of right now. All help is appreciated

yoshq

Smash Master
When is a crouching jab cancel required for follow-ups (like the ones listed in the chart below)? I don't notice even the slightest difference between crouching and not crouching after the jab for jab->upb or jab->ftilt.
There is no advantage, crouching is to do another jab afterwards which is comboable on the characters that the jab upb is guaranteed on.
This chart can be found in this thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199907
Advantage (Unblockable Jab 1 follow-ups when timed properly):
10+ Turn-Around U-Smash; U-Air
8+ N-Air
7+ Down-B
6+ Up-B; Turn-Around U-Tilt; (Grab)
5+ D-Smash; D-Tilt; F-Tilt
3+ Jab-Cancel -> Jab 1
-6+ Jab 2
I'm kind of confused what this chart is saying. Does "10+" mean it requires 10+ frames of advantage to pull it off after a Jab1 (meaning it's more difficult, which kind of contradicts the color scheme used in the chart leading to my confusion)? And then what would the "-6+" mean for Jab2?
Yes, that's what it means. Yeah.. that's kinda confusing.
What would be a good follow up against a Mario who tends to air dodge right out of a down throw?
If he air dodges next to you, grab or dsmash or upb. If he falls away from you, do sliding charged upsmash, running grab, or running upb.
For jab->dtilt->upb, is the upb unavoidable if the dtilt trips them and you're close enough to upb without walking up to them?
If you have to walk to get it, it's not guaranteed. That's all I know.

dengel

Smash Cadet
Wow thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

You said there's no advantage to crouching after jab1 for anything other than another jab1. Do you know if that's true for all jabs? Like say, Captain Falcon's or Falco's?

And are you sure crouching doesn't help for grab follow-ups? I just feel like I saw somewhere that specifically said it does. I could be mistaken.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
the 10+ and lower means the chances of a certain jab to etc of working.

Lucario for example is jab mania. Especially when you prevent Lucario from landing on the stage after his upb since now he has recovery option lag.

BSP

Smash Legend
Wow thanks for answering my questions so quickly.

You said there's no advantage to crouching after jab1 for anything other than another jab1. Do you know if that's true for all jabs? Like say, Captain Falcon's or Falco's?

And are you sure crouching doesn't help for grab follow-ups? I just feel like I saw somewhere that specifically said it does. I could be mistaken.
I'm pretty sure crouching just adds a few extra frames in any situation, so I think it's true for all jabs.

You should ask this question in the general Q&A in the gameplay and tactical boards.

For all practical purposes, don't pay attention to the -6+ for Jab 2. In a practical sense, it just means you will always have the advantage necessary to combo into jab2.

yoshq

Smash Master
Crouching is just to make sure you don't jab2. Crouching with any other move just wastes time. The time you would have to wait to do the move so you don't jab2 is not negated by crouching.

dengel

Smash Cadet
I asked the question in the General Q&A, and they said crouching gives a few more frames of advantage in any situation.

TreK

Is "that guy"
Ah, those IASA frames. I'll ask on the ike boards, those guys know what's up with them.

dengel

Smash Cadet
Apparently the Ike guys don't think crouching is necessary either.

me9595

Smash Apprentice
are you sure, i havent been able to get it to work without the jump

also did you know that uptilt, from behind, hits d3 off the ledge

BSP

Smash Legend
If you don't have tap jump on, you do have to input a jump while you re in shield to get an UpB OOS

:phone:

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
I have a question which hopefully u guyzzz can help me out with. Is it possible for DDD to do the running CG on us IF and only if he buffers a standing shieldgrab out of his dash after then first throw?

Luigisama

Smash Champion
I have a question which hopefully u guyzzz can help me out with. Is it possible for DDD to do the running CG on us IF and only if he buffers a standing shieldgrab out of his dash after then first throw?
no he can't. but he can running cg us off stage.

- rko -

Smash Apprentice
Thanks guys, helped me out quite a bit. I also have a question about the Falco MU since Im trying to become consistent at the MU. What I need to know is what I should be expecting from a legit Falco, how I should try to counter it and a few trixies if there are any, because what Im seeing on Youtube and such kinda confuses me on how to approach this MU.

Luigisama

Smash Champion
Thanks guys, helped me out quite a bit. I also have a question about the Falco MU since Im trying to become consistent at the MU. What I need to know is what I should be expecting from a legit Falco, how I should try to counter it and a few trixies if there are any, because what Im seeing on Youtube and such kinda confuses me on how to approach this MU.
check out the collapse for falco in the luigi thread.

Watch for grabs. If it's a legit falco expect to get 60% of damage.

Don't go offstage against falco to get a stage spike unless you see that the falco is on the ledge too much. Good falcos get on the stage as quickly as they can with lol side b. Learn the timing and punish it with either upsmash as they do it or punish the landing of side b. Apparently Luigi's side b beats falco's side b.

The laser shouldn't be too much of a problem since you can crouch below most of the lasers. When you're at high percents watch out for laser to upsmash it's best to attack when you have an opening otherwise wait for the upsmash, powershield it, and punish with up b.

after falco dthrows you at 70% don't airdodge or nair near them. They are looking to punish you're airdodge with fsmash or up smash. I think it's best to either cyclone for a landing or DI away from falco to avoid the follow up.

Edit

Approaching. I'm sure there is a better way, but my ways of approaching falco are either to

1. throw fireballs. If they reflect it just dodge it and the cooldown for reflect is very long. Throw a fireball during laser camping just to get in some percent in and if they shield it throw out an aerial or walk then use the traction to do a silding standing grab grabbing falco

2. Bair just outside of falco's grab range and then jab to grab because if falco gets hit by grab most falco's will shield and the grab will still go through.

Top Bottom