• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official NY/NJ/PA Melee Power Rankings! UPDATED 6/4/14

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Power Rankings> Life.

There has to be some guidelines to abide by in terms of a person's activity. Look at someone like PC Chris for example, who is still good enough to be placed on the rankings, except for the fact that he hasn't entered a tournament in maybe 1.5 years so how can you compare to people on the list that are active?
Smash is a part of life for most smashers. It's basically penalizing people who have found a way to balance life into what it "should" be: a small but valuable hobby.

Only the hardcore nerds get ranked, because only the hardcore nerds can afford to sacrifice so much out of their life in order to get ranked.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
Smash is a part of life for most smashers. It's basically penalizing people who have found a way to balance life into what it "should" be: a small but valuable hobby.

Only the hardcore nerds get ranked, because only the hardcore nerds can afford to sacrifice so much out of their life in order to get ranked.
I still dont understand how regular people cannot go to 2 tournaments a month. Is it even considered a hobby if you play that little? And it's not penalizing at all, we don't say they are bad. That's completely out of hand. They just dont get recognized if they don't play 2 tournaments. What do you suggest doing? 1 tournament every 3 months? That's RIDICULOUS dude. 2 saturdays is not commitment at all for 3 months.

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
dunno how it is in EC but the last time a singles tourny entered before 9 or 10 PM was...

i dunno, a year and a half ago? two years?

so lol @ trying to denounce an all-day (6-8+ hours) investment 2x a month

the way this community is, TOs basically make u prioritize smash over health. believe it or not some people choose health

Codi

Smash Ace
Shadrach Kabango going to 2 tournaments in 3 months is not hard at all lmfao. Animal who is ranked on this list is a teacher, maintains a 4.0 gpa, and goes out with friends pretty often still manages to make it out to 2 tournaments sometimes a little more. If you aren't able to do this in 3 months then you shouldn't even be considered. It's really not that hard, now stop complaining and either man up and go to 2 tournaments within 3 months and do good OR keep quite.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
me and my brothers are also pretty good at this game, but the the oldest (vidiot) is in med school, and none of us are old enough to drive yet. Maybe we'll start trying to go to these more often, we went to warzone and had a great time but its very difficult for us to make tourneys in general, especially the ones out of Long Island. We'll keep practicing though, and maybe show up and make a few upsets.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
me and my brothers are also pretty good at this game, but the the oldest (vidiot) is in med school, and none of us are old enough to drive yet. Maybe we'll start trying to go to these more often, we went to warzone and had a great time but its very difficult for us to make tourneys in general, especially the ones out of Long Island. We'll keep practicing though, and maybe show up and make a few upsets.
I'd love to see you guys get better! I saw you guys at Warzone and was really impressed!

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I'd love to see you guys get better! I saw you guys at Warzone and was really impressed!
believe me we are, and we're planning to go to more of these for sure, not sure when though. This games always been fun for us since there 4 of us and we all play different characters, so its not like we're not improving.

ItzBen

Smash Rookie
believe me we are, and we're planning to go to more of these for sure, not sure when though. This games always been fun for us since there 4 of us and we all play different characters, so its not like we're not improving.
join the facebook groups for your area, theres always ppl that you might be able to carpool with, especially the long island heads, because everyone in LI drives!

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
We will most likely have a cool graphic art design of the PR'ed players, as well as a video showing the players. :) We are trying to make the PR and Tri-state more publicized, so if you guys could follow https://twitter.com/TristateSmash , that would be really helpful ^_^. If you guys have any suggestions on improvements we could make, all will be taken.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I'd love to be PR'ed here, especially because I'm basically living in tristate right now. Attend a lot, too.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
I'd love to be PR'ed here, especially because I'm basically living in tristate right now. Attend a lot, too.
Hey Zero! Basically, there was a lot of confusion between this PR should be NY/NJ or Tristate(NY/NJ/CT). Most likely, it will come down to NY/NJ/PA, so this summer ranking, you will be included for evaluation :)

Edit: Can someone direct me to Pennsylvannia Facebook groups? I never see activity from the region, but I could be looking in the wrong places.

Last edited:

g0dsDammit

Smash Rookie
People need to stop writing this (from the first post with the rankings):

"If the said player is ranked in the previous period, he must attend 2 tournaments

If the said player isn't ranked in the previous period, he must attend 3 tournaments"

Why must "he" attend tournaments? What if it is a woman who must attend? What if it is someone who is not defined by either he or she? If the Melee community is to gain credibility, it must be less discriminatory in its speech. I don't care if anyone thinks it is not important... because it is.

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
People need to stop writing this (from the first post with the rankings):

"If the said player is ranked in the previous period, he must attend 2 tournaments

If the said player isn't ranked in the previous period, he must attend 3 tournaments"

Why must "he" attend tournaments? What if it is a woman who must attend? What if it is someone who is not defined by either he or she? If the Melee community is to gain credibility, it must be less discriminatory in its speech. I don't care if anyone thinks it is not important... because it is.
Sorry about that. Note that we had no intention of discriminating. I will change it, thank you for pointing it out.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
can we get a list of results that were used to make these decisions just like previous PRs? Haven't been following NJ/NY smash much besides when my homies are at the tournaments, so they make for a nice summary of the ranking period..

Ryobeat

Smash Ace
I just updated it ^_^ It's not as neat as last time sadly, due to a lot of tournaments as well as out of region ones. If you have questions on results, let me know!

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
So with m2k gone, Zang is now the highest ranked player in New Jersey. Zanguzen. Guys he doesn't move.

I feel like NJ has to do some kind of "get the gang back together" movement where we convince the tunes and HBK to start playing again so that we don't suck as much.

Top Bottom