• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Official MU thread : Breaking Clouds Limits.

Which character should we start on first

• Greeninja

Votes: 21 8.8%
  • Rosalina

Votes: 64 26.7%
  • One of the projectile spammers

Votes: 61 25.4%
  • Little Mac

Votes: 31 12.9%
  • Yoshi

Votes: 35 14.6%
  • Captian Falcon

Votes: 28 11.7%

• Total voters

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
List of discussed characters
Greeninja & Diddy Kong on page 1
Shiek page 2 (near the bottom) http://smashboards.com/threads/official-mu-thread-pitching-with-ness.372321/page-2

Yoshi Page 4 (near top) http://smashboards.com/threads/official-mu-thread-pitching-with-ness.372321/page-4

Greninja

Greninja is fast and evasive because of his different postures which allow him to avoid decent amount of hits from our F-smash when it's not spaced properly.
MU rating: 5.5 for zss (Imo) we will discuss what we think it actually is.

Pros for us
-Our grabs are have more range and we get free ones from lasers.
-We are just as fast if not faster I feel like. (sorry all the ones I've played like try to abuse his rolls)
-Our lasers can cancel all his non max shurikens. (side b explosion destroys max sized)
-zss doesn't get gimped by hydro pump like most characters
-Amazing punish game against his side b/ Yolo dair
-Zss's Tilts dodge a lot of things close up
-He feels lighter then Zss
-Zair him when your both in the air and laugh

Cons
-Sometimes forced to recover low when being edge guarded it's possible for a max ranged shuriken to clip you out when you start or to down b into the big one which might = death.
-Surprise counters suck.
-While extremely unlikely if your smart hydro pump can still troll you if you keep recovering the same way.
-His Upsmash is a good anti air method if you over use down b for quick movements.
-You are forced to ban certain stages (or just FD ) due to the added problem of whether you can see his side b approaches or not.

Optimal Punishes-Down smash is guaranteed if he side-b's your shield and your facing him just don't charge it and get the fox trotted up b on him (if he manages to keep getting out of up b despite you aiming it in or out more (left/right) just grab-> down throw and follow up

-His Dair gives you the same thing if your in front of him when hes landing unless your shielding it otherwise jump and up air him OoS.
-If he side-b's Into the edge of the stage when recovering to stop your approach to the ledge because they are attempting to recover low with Hydropump then you can try for a Yolo run of bair /down b kick spike.
-If you see the commitment with his shuriken star charge you can close the distance with down-b and kick , Use this also if they are trying charging a smash to edgeguard you on the ledge.
-His early counter is a free down smash with timing.

Ground Game
Depending on the first couple of seconds you need to think of how you are going to deal with his shuriken spam,This will help you later on so you don't just try and wing it to avoid any fatal mistakes. Greninja can interrupt you from almost anywhere if your both on the ground so don't leave your self open.

Don't try to just recklessly throw out tilts when hes in range of them you need to use certain ones more then others because its easy to miss him randomly and be punished.
At the start of his stocks you can try to pressure him with lower F-tilts for trips and cancel stars with lasers at a distance that resides outside of his big star range. If your ever dashing to close distance he will more then likely star you (they add up so be wary.)
Jab is good I have not experienced much problems with jab3 hitting , When Greninja jabs us you should b trying to get down to the ground and in front of him because when he does the finisher you get a grab for free (just be patient).

up tilt/up smash him if he approaches from the air unless hes trying to bait you with his Nair AC.
Basically just remember this when your on the ground with him and if your ever hitting him be aware of where Greninja's body will go his crouch from hits is annoying try not to over commit.

Air GameI kinda feel like we body him with up air despite the fact that his Bair might interrupt our Bair when not timed we still have nair and zair to work with while he can be zoned out with lasers as well. Not much else to say his only 2 scary moves imo is his bair when you commit and his up air when he is below you.
His nair is kinda meh unless he tries to do grab/upsmash mix up's when hes landing.
Hitting with the back side of nair can really leave him little options while your in position to hit him if he air dodges it and ends up in front of you.

Moves to watch out for
-If you focus to much on trying to punish his actions with laggy moves like charged smashes can side b or turn that against you.
-His Dair /stage spike Bair if your tether happy try to use it wisely.
-UP smash is very good at wrecking us if we approach from the air at low %s he gets 2 if you aren't ready to vector properly.
-Hydro pump gimping is pretty much self explanatory save your jump even if you have to down b to live , Just be aware of how you can recover and when.

A tip for counter picks to stages where you can't follow his shadow If Greninja is not doing anything it probably isn't safe so be ready to react to it while not leaving yourself vulnerable for long (I.E retreating, jump approaches ,Rolls)

We can put whatever else in and such If there was anything I was incorrect about let me know I'll fix it

Last edited:

BraveFantasy

Smash Cadet
I've seen greninja abuse up throw to up air a lot. And it's a good move, so I can see why they do. It's extremely annoying if you get read and keep getting up air'd and it can be difficult to get out of the air, so I'm going to give everyone a few quick tips on how to deal with this: if you di, di in a downward diagonal direction. This is the best way to avoid the up air follow up after up throw. Or just don't DI at all. The most success I've had with dealing with greninja fox-like tactics are to simply just go with the flow, and to not DI at all. Then after his initial hit of up air to tap and hold up on the circle pad to avoid the multiple hits of up air that come after. This allows you to avoid the followup and possibly stage a counter attack in the air, or get safely back to the ground. Whichever. He can DACUS (or something very close to it) with his upsmash, and it has three different hit boxes. Two sour spots on the sides and a sweet spot right above him. Just be careful not to get hit by this move, since even the sour spot can kill. Imo this is his best smash attack.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Talking to Bajisci, he's saying F-Smash from ZSS is a horrible option vs. Greninja.

If you're not at point blank range with F-Smash when you use it, Greninja will drop out of it and punish. Even worse than that (I haven't tested but he claims this to be true), is Greninja can actually Side B in between the first and second hits of F-Smash and punish you for it.

So that move seems to be off the table entirely for trying to get a KO. Keep that in mind.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Well that isn't entirely true when your the only one on the ground. I always to tend to not try to f-smash greninja for kills when we are fighting on the ground because of that crouch animation he has from her hits. but anytime they make a dumb mistake of getting stunned in the air by a laser or near the edge off stage i'll use it because it hits. However I have seen what your talking about in regards to his immediate side b from the first hit I guess that's why I tend to try and not use it as much.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Those videos also showcase the Side B canceling the FSmash also. I don't have an exact time stamp but you can see it in action in the first match of the reset bracket.

Edit: Time stamp is 1:33 on the second video.

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if our tilts can beat non maximum shurikens? If you see him start charging it, then just Down B

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Maybe you should add that up b is a bad option against Greninja because you can VI out of it, as DeLux stated in his thread.
Imo it's too easy to punish if it fails to even try it out. Great work on your analysis though, please keep it up.
I by the way think that Sheik is one of the most interesting matchups because they seem quite similar and seem to be in direct competition tier wise.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Hey Dakpo, I saw you face Denti's sheik in the tournament on Monday. I felt that you should have beaten him. The ending to both matches were unfortunate.

Last edited:

Dakpo

Smash Lord
I think so too. One thing I really pride my self on is my punish game; however, I can't do ANYTHING on this dumb 3ds. When I get my hands on a GC controller, watch out. Im going to make this character look absolutely broken

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Does anyone know if our tilts can beat non maximum shurikens? If you see him start charging it, then just Down B
our jab works on shurikens IIRC (but i'd take that with a grain of salt it could just be that i was at the right height to jab it)

Maybe you should add that up b is a bad option against Greninja because you can VI out of it, as DeLux stated in his thread.

Imo it's too easy to punish if it fails to even try it out. Great work on your analysis though, please keep it up.
I by the way think that Sheik is one of the most interesting matchups because they seem quite similar and seem to be in direct competition tier wise.
I guess your right in a way it's varies on how you get punished because most of the time people get out of it I've kicked them up a bit instead of them just VI-ing away and hitting me so I just FF and never really get punished that hard.

Sheik I guess we could probably discuss next I don't know about the rest of you but I rarely have trouble with sheiks (gotta fight more competent ones i guess thanks for glory).

Also sheik has to recover low vs us because our laser will stun her before she warps if you time it right and if you managed to stun an opponent offstage while they are at a fairly damaged % , You get a free down b follow up (no need to kick if your unsure)

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Also sorry I've been loafting so much IRL johns blocking the path to greatness.

@ Dakpo Dakpo so I checked and yeah looks like jab /tilts negate the shuri ,also pretty sure you can dodge certain height ones with down/ f-tilts

Last edited:

fath3r

Smash Rookie
Are we going to move forward with the matchup threads? After a weekend of playing on Wi U im really seeing some potential but trying to also see what everyone thinks about viablity.

Im really having problem with kill moves, and vs characters with priority in their hit boxes.

Can we go over some Diddy MU?

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I know this might sound strange but I'd really like to see Luigi.
Just got destroyed 7 times in a row by a very good one. This is the first time this ever happened to me.
he spammed his fireballs and forced me to approach, immediately caught me off guard with his spin and combo'd me to death with aerials. Seriously never had this happen to me. He was to glitchy to dsmash and I could never neutral b him because of the fireballs.

ZmazhCrew

Smash Rookie
Those videos also showcase the Side B canceling the FSmash also. I don't have an exact time stamp but you can see it in action in the first match of the reset bracket.

Edit: Time stamp is 1:33 on the second video.

So basically, FSmash is no longer in our inventory against a prepared greninja..? Time to up our mix-up game.

fath3r

Smash Rookie
Lets try to keep this moving. lets maybe get a poll with the next char?

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Yeah Um sure I was kinda thinking we should do someone Like DIddy or yoshi , heck Even Rosalina
Diddy's simian semantics really piss me off I don't know about you guys but some of his moveset infuriates me.

fath3r

Smash Rookie
Mods can we deactivate this thread or get a new OP to keep it updated ?

If moving into Diddy:

How do we react to his grab game and upairs? I'll be doing some more testing this weekend vs and see what we have priority wise.

I feel spacing with f>b is still crucial and juggling as always but his weapons seem larger then ours so a consistent gameplan will help.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I think our neutral air can take out of the monkey flip and the kick to. At higher percents when he grabs you you can DI to get out of up air but he will probably try to bait an air dodge. His up air is good but if you have good DI he should not ever get more then two up airs on you at the most.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Mods can we deactivate this thread or get a new OP to keep it updated ?

If moving into Diddy:

How do we react to his grab game and upairs? I'll be doing some more testing this weekend vs and see what we have priority wise.

I feel spacing with f>b is still crucial and juggling as always but his weapons seem larger then ours so a consistent gameplan will help.
If someone wants to take this thread over from me then by all means go for it the main reason I was loafting and not as active as i wanted to was 1. 3ds version was all that was out so we were not getting as much inputs as I thought we would.
2. stupidly let my self get sucked in by blizzard again and bought the new WoW expansion.

Regarding Diddys throws and up Airs seems like there is little to nothing we can do at kill %s because from what I heard from someone testing his down throw Diddy can jump before he hits the ground and I'll be able to air dodge like 1/6 of those set ups which probably was because I was at a lower %.

I agree with what you say about side B but before the update side B wasn't as reliable and and Down smash doesn't get him during his apex which even if you started getting him he would just short hop slightly before jumping at you.

The only real Answers i can think of to successfully stop his side b would b
-pivot grab
-hyphen up smash
-well timed up air /up tilt ( near the end where shes putting her legs together protecting above her).

Even then that will only work if you have the presence of mind ever time he did side b which is't easy especially when you have to worry about it grabbing you if your conditioned to shield it up close.

David Viran

Smash Lord
If someone wants to take this thread over from me then by all means go for it the main reason I was loafting and not as active as i wanted to was 1. 3ds version was all that was out so we were not getting as much inputs as I thought we would.
2. stupidly let my self get sucked in by blizzard again and bought the new WoW expansion.

Regarding Diddys throws and up Airs seems like there is little to nothing we can do at kill %s because from what I heard from someone testing his down throw Diddy can jump before he hits the ground and I'll be able to air dodge like 1/6 of those set ups which probably was because I was at a lower %.

I agree with what you say about side B but before the update side B wasn't as reliable and and Down smash doesn't get him during his apex which even if you started getting him he would just short hop slightly before jumping at you.

The only real Answers i can think of to successfully stop his side b would b
-pivot grab
-hyphen up smash
-well timed up air /up tilt ( near the end where shes putting her legs together protecting above her).

Even then that will only work if you have the presence of mind ever time he did side b which is't easy especially when you have to worry about it grabbing you if your conditioned to shield it up close.
I'm not fully comprehending what you were trying to say about diddy's down throw and up air at higher %. Sorry if I'm stupid and am missing something but could you please explain.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I'm not fully comprehending what you were trying to say about diddy's down throw and up air at higher %. Sorry if I'm stupid and am missing something but could you please explain.
My sentence structure skills are probably as bad as I am at smash, I'll try to rephrase that for you.

When your at between 60% and 100% It feels as though diddy's down throw has the same mechanics as our down throw where he can almost immediately jump and up air us after he throws you like what we do to other people at nearly all %s.

Because of this I said I would be able to air dodge through 1/6 down throw to up airs I had diddys do to me and this was probably because I was inbetween those above mentioned %s.

diddys down throw grabs you and throws you under him where he does a small jump , I heard that he is able to jump just before he is hitting the ground again and up air you and even at higher %s he is able to just double jump the extra height and get you.

Can anyone confirm?

David Viran

Smash Lord
I've been watching high level tournaments and the good players really are not getting hit from diddy's down throw to up air that much at kill percents. The down throw to up air doesn't look guaranteed at higher percents with good DI. They could still die from up air but it just isn't absolutely guaranteed. And thanks for the explanation.

Last edited:

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
Diddy is able to follow up his Dthrow w/ Uair below 100%, once you hit that percentage you'll be able to avoid getting hit if you react in time. You can expect Fair and Bair at lower percents, as a good Diddy can hit you just as easily w/ those, but Uair leads to another Uair at Midpercents so you'll generally see them attempting to juggle you, or making time to pull out a banana.

Last edited:

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
I've been watching high level tournaments and the good players really are not getting hit from diddy's down throw to up air that much at kill percents. The down throw to up air doesn't look guaranteed at higher percents with good DI. They could still die from up air but it just isn't absolutely guaranteed. And thanks for the explanation.
then what would the best possible input of DI should we be doing at low, mid and high %'s

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Tbh I don't really know how to DI it. I just know that it is possible. Would have to test it to figure it out.
Away of course. We can't get dthrow up air follow ups either at high percentages if they DI away.
This is related to your jump angle. If you DI away at higher percentages you will reach a horizontal distance the jump for the follow up can't cover anymore. You would need to run first, fall a bit or double jump and as far as I know, all of these options take too long.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Away of course. We can't get dthrow up air follow ups either at high percentages if they DI away.
This is related to your jump angle. If you DI away at higher percentages you will reach a horizontal distance the jump for the follow up can't cover anymore. You would need to run first, fall a bit or double jump and as far as I know, all of these options take too long.
actually a lot of us have been under the impression that after the patch down throw chained easier at higher % although its probably because the vectoring change.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
actually a lot of us have been under the impression that after the patch down throw chained easier at higher % although its probably because the vectoring change.
Oh it indeed does but there is still a percentage limit, at least that's my personal experience.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Reserved starting Diddy Kong since we got nothing but time on our hands and apex is around the corner **** that guy.
http://smashboards.com/threads/official-mu-thread-pitching-with-ness.372321/diddy
8:27pm I am writing this out still sorry if it looks weird ill be done

MU rating 5.5/10 in Diddy's favor IMO

Diddy Kong.
Annoying MOFO whos Moveset Designer is Lucky I've neither the time nor funds to hire Assassins lol.
MU rating: 6:4 for Diddy (6.75:3:25 for diddy If your me ;)) we will discuss what we think it actually is.

Pros for us
we can crouch under monkey flip. This could be quite useful honestly
-We can sort of get the same benifit from bananas as he can especially with D-Smash and stun.
-His F-smash is longer now that it has 3 hits so we can probably get a downsmash if we sdi behind him during the first hit.
-Pivot Grab is good for his side b approaches.
-I have yet to experiment with just holding a nana and waiting for a mistake to just net damage and punishes with banana-> Fsmash/Dsmash up close but maybe?
-you can probably guess how hes going to recover since they all like to side b when recovering first, spike them and send them to hell.
(well I suck at this MU so you guys can fill this in from your experiences.)

Cons
-Annoying to recover every time because of his ability to occupy so manys areas at once with bananas + peanut gun( his own areials obviously add more to problem once you make your recovery choice.)
-his Side b Is still a god send mixup/ mind game option, That goes over your laser/side b 1 hitbox and sometimes down smash depends on where you are and how high he is.
-We are light so his down throw ->up air is death if you don't di/evade correctly.
-He's bananas force us to sometimes take different options than we would normally take and get punished because the slip punish would probably take a stock.
-His Up b can and will murder you on the ledge if your always gonna tether.

Optimal Punishes
-F-smash away from you is warrant for a downsmash just dont get greedy and charge it take the free downsmash to f smash or up b/flip jump kick.
-Side b recovery can be punished with flip jump spike or away with gives you enough time to do it again (you'll prob jump back and grab the ledge)
-back air a low up b just pray they don't tech and then try to spike you xD.

Ground Game
Pivot grab works really well when grounded and Diddy tries to close the distance or dash attack to grab nanas on the ground between you use this to your advantage and try to possible bait that action by spacing the nana inbetween you , I've seen numerous Diddy's go to peanut gun you and clip you if you jump over following up with dash attack which leaves you screwed because if you make the wrong choice you will be nana'd -> F/Dsmashed.
Laser always beats peanuts so don't be concerned with them even if your knocked off and recovering.

Air Game
Typical stuff here up air him but watch out for his Dairs although I forgot this game is stupid if you get spiked into the stage just up air him on your way back up lol...

I've noticed there is a certain range where he will either pull a banana or FH/SH up and away plucking it backwards so they can dash attack pick up or some crap, Please do yourself a favor and remember that so that you can bait close the distance and up air or even upsmash the banana will just trip you (or hit your upsmash and cancel it [Needs to be confirmed and test] ) and give you a chance to roll away.

Diddys fair is pretty annoying although it's now where near as infuriating as his up air I kinda get why people hated Zss's in brawl , when getting juggled by diddy be aware of where you flip jump to because it might be possible for diddy to side b over and get you again anyways.

Moves to watch out for

-Side be is like our flip jump where when certain things happen the outcome will become more obvious , However unlike flip jump if he jumps onto your shield its an auto grab so mix in spot dodges if they keep trolling over to you.
-His up b is ******** now that they are granted more control over it then brawl...*sigh*
-His shield is his best friend with a banana in hand don't get over zealous with jabs you can and will be punished.
[In regards to Monkey flip]
-pivot grab works
-hyphen up smash needs to be timed right (Remember the first hit comes out a bit later now.)
I'm going to take a min or 2 and scroll up to grab anything you guys had already posted ,if there is anything you think should be changed /added just Slap me and i'll get right on it T.T

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
My thoughts on Diddy Kong

This MU sucks. Ditto him instead.

I'll do this later :p

Last edited:

David Viran

Smash Lord
I don't like to use other characters in bad matchups because i'm stubborn like that and I want to learn the matchup too. With that said the MU isn't any where near the zss falco matchup in brawl. That still gives me nightmares.

Last edited:

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I wouldn't know. Nobody ever would go falco against me in tournament lol

David Viran

Smash Lord
In brawl it was by far her worst MU but I don't think it's so bad in this game because everything that he used to beat zss got nerfed. I don't think zss has any MU's like that in this game so praise the Lord.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Not really true if you knew the infinite, at top level i guess it would be still bad for her if they both knew it but diddy is just an annoying mother... not gonna give him the satisfaction.

Last edited:
Top Bottom