• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Melee Texture Hack Thread

cptncanela

Smash Rookie
Can anybody help me? I still don't understand how to replace textures. I do this " Download the costume, and download DAT Texture Wizard (DTW). Open your ISO in DTW and use the file descriptions to look for the file you want to replace (you can also click on the "Disc Shortcuts" to jump to a specific section). Import the new costume file you just downloaded over the original that's in your game (select the file, click Import), and select Save in the File menu (or press CTRL-S). This program can also replace individual textures in your disc or a DAT file, and other game files (stage/character/menu/etc). The program is pretty strait-forward, and comes with a ReadMe file to refer to if you want to know more." but it doesn't work. I also want to create my own falco texture.

lolcatz

Smash Rookie
Can anybody help me? I still don't understand how to replace textures. I do this " Download the costume, and download DAT Texture Wizard (DTW). Open your ISO in DTW and use the file descriptions to look for the file you want to replace (you can also click on the "Disc Shortcuts" to jump to a specific section). Import the new costume file you just downloaded over the original that's in your game (select the file, click Import), and select Save in the File menu (or press CTRL-S). This program can also replace individual textures in your disc or a DAT file, and other game files (stage/character/menu/etc). The program is pretty strait-forward, and comes with a ReadMe file to refer to if you want to know more." but it doesn't work. I also want to create my own falco texture.
Are you saving once you've replaced the files you want? Are you getting error messages? (If so which) Are you loading the right ROM into dolphin?

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
It sounds like you're doing everything right. Are you sure you're editing the correct ISO? Here's a tutorial with images: https://ssbmtextures.com/tutorial-directory/tutorials-importing-dat-files/

Don't mean to go overboard with the uploads lol, just had this idea and couldn't stop thinking about it

Dennis the Menace (US, covers blue Mario)

Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/dennis-the-menace-us/
Don't apologize. Keep em coming :)

Last edited:

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
I made a few new textures during some down time I had this week. I also went back and made CSPs for a lot of the textures that I have on https://ssbmtextures.com/, and will likely be included them with all my textures going forward. So that's cool.

Team Yell Grunt (Pokemon Sword/Shield) - Sheik
Replaces White
Screenshot.png

Download Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/team-yell-grunt-pokemon-sword-shield-sheik/

Lanky Kong (DK) - Donkey Kong
Replaces Red
2020-11-01_5f9e015269be4_GALE01-2.png

Download Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/lanky-kong-donkey-kong/

Roxas (Kingdim Hearts 2) - Marth
Replaces Black
2020-11-07_5fa7217bc166c_RoxasMarth1.png

Download Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/aerith-kingdom-hearts-peach/

Aerith (Kingdom Hearts Appearance) - Peach
Repalces Neutral
2020-11-07_5fa720def09cf_Aerith2.png

Download Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/roxas-kingdom-hearts-2-marth/

Ratchet (Ratchet and Clank) - Fox
Replaces Green
2020-11-07_5fa7032add514_Racthet_Screenshot-1.png

Download Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/ratchet-ratchet-and-clank-fox/

Last edited:

Dips8462

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
OYE#965
Switch FC
SW-5240-6129-6914
I tried to open the Melee Original Textures folder and I got a 404 error, did it get taken down?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Scroll Scroll spamitburns spamitburns The effects you're looking for, such as stars in the background, are stage-specific particle effects. They have their textures in the stage files, but the version of DTW out now doesn't show them. The next version will show them though, which I'll probably release early next week.

View attachment 282366
is this still in the works?
Im stll very much looking forward to playing around with this

MKGUnknown

Smash Rookie
Hey I've been looking for days trying to find this Pokemon stadium texture. Does anyone know where I can find it? Sorry I don't have any higher quality pics.
hey do you still need help? I'm not really the guy to ask about making the textures but I've pretty much figured out how to import custom textures via data wizard.

Last edited:

MKGUnknown

Smash Rookie
That mod was made by @NyxTheShield on twitter. He's in the Melee Workshop discord. I'm not sure if he ever publicly released that mod.
Ye I saw that it was made by Nyx. I remember searching for it on twitter and he showed a clip of him playing on that stage and a while back I saw my friend playing on it too. I did find that he released the buggy version of that stage on the server but I have no idea as to how to fix it so I was hoping someone had a finished version.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
is this still in the works?
Im stll very much looking forward to playing around with this
It's included as of the lastest release (v6.1).

Dips8462 Dips8462 Michael Ashby Michael Ashby Where was that link you guys were saying was broken? Was it the "All original skins" link in the OP? I was going to fix it, but that one works for me.

P.S. Nice costumes, Michael!

Last edited:

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Last edited:

nick13854

Smash Rookie
https://imgur.com/VYI5Ze2 any help trying to put images in background like in link on yoshis story ,battlefield , final destination ,pokemonstadium anybody help onwhich file on each is the background file I need to modify

also if interested props to who made these skins just slight revisions pics---> akatski falco and super saiyan falco , akatski rinnegan marth , third eyesharingan fox
dl links akatski falco (entire shirt in red clouds) super saiyan falco , akatski rinnegan marth (for some reason all akatski cape only works in red costume) , third eye sharingan fox

Michael Ashby

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
GIN#752
It's included as of the lastest release (v6.1).

Dips8462 Dips8462 Michael Ashby Michael Ashby Where was that link you guys were saying was broken? Was it the "All original skins" link in the OP? I was going to fix it, but that one works for me.

P.S. Nice costumes, Michael!
The link appears the be live now DRGN. I don't know if it was a site issue or what, but when the other commenter was asking about it, it kept 404'ing.

LunarySSF2

Smash Rookie

Hey y'all, is anyone willing to make a Duke Blue Devil Falcon skin ?
(the number and team name could be on the back as well if the front doesn't work)

MKGUnknown

Smash Rookie
does anyone know if its possible in some way to combine two EfFxData dat files into one? i want to be able to replace one shine texture with another while still keeping the custom firefox but there's no way of being able to import the shine png straight into dat wizard because I can't seem to find the shine texture itself
The shine I'm replacing: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/708860893013868555/780810319769370644/unknown.png
New Shine: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/708860893013868555/780810304535265300/EfFxData.dat_0x40_9.png

Last edited:

sd3_3_3

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
MELO#591
I tried to replace the CSS, but it says "File to import is too large", is there any way to fix this?

clsc_FRaNTiC

Smash Rookie
Can someone direct me to where I can download the file for the simple Fountain of Dreams? It has no background I believe.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
Can someone direct me to where I can download the file for the simple Fountain of Dreams? It has no background I believe.
are you asking about this one? Its still WIP and I dont have a whole lot of motivation to work on it currently. But if this is indeed the one you are looking for that could help me push towards finishing it.
Screen456shot_1.jpg

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Figured I'd post here the mods I've uploaded to www.ssbmtextures.com

Free Melee Stadium - Multi-color Pack

Dark Blue, Red, Green, Yellow

Light Blue, Purple, Pink, Orange

White, Light Grey, Medium Grey, Dark Grey
Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/stages/pokemon-stadium/free-melee-stadium-multi-color-pack/

Red Final Destination

Link:
Cloud 9 Headband Jigglypuff

Link:
Evening Gown Zelda Recolors (Recolors of DRGN's Evening Gown Zelda)

Blue: Red: Pink:

Last edited:

Dexlr8

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Dex#661
Does anyone have the Dark Mario skin? I can't find it at all.

volt. 雷

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
volt#578
3DS FC
0619-6758-7639
Does anyone have a blue firefox/firebird skin? I've gone through tons of threads and can only find the purple one.

Saltyy

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
Salt#651
Guys I need your help, I'm trying to change my melee texture (got (USA) (En,Ja) (v1.02).7z version of melee), but when I'm trying to open it on DAT, it doesn't show up anything. Is there something I can do to be able to see my melee disc file tree?

Goginha

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
GOGI#728
Guys I need your help, I'm trying to change my melee texture (got (USA) (En,Ja) (v1.02).7z version of melee), but when I'm trying to open it on DAT, it doesn't show up anything. Is there something I can do to be able to see my melee disc file tree?
did you extract it?

Last edited:

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Does anyone have a blue firefox/firebird skin? I've gone through tons of threads and can only find the purple one.
Had a look for it myself and come up short. :/ If I get more free time I might have a crack at making one myself

Guys, I've been testing some maps, and I want to ask: does Kongo Jungle Battlefield and Kirby's dreamland night stage work on slippi?
here are the links:
From what I understand, using a modified ISO with texture hacks of anykind will lead to a higher chance of desyncs. I've done some testing with those stages and never had a desync with either of them. Kongo Jungle Battlefield is probably more likely to desync than Return To Dreamland because it uses a slightly different camera than og Battlefield. Again though, I've not had any issues using them.

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
hi - was wondering if anyone wanted to take a stab at tweaking this Pidgeot Falco skin to make the jacket brown and the pants maybe black to look a bit more like the pokemon. Think it would be sweet!

Made a slapdash mockup of this, though I stuck more strictly to the Pidgeot colorscheme (Pidgeot has pink legs). I only recolored the existing falco textures instead of making new ones from the ground up so it's nothing great lol.

Pidgeot Falco with Pidgeot colored clothes

Link: https://ssbmtextures.com/characters/pidgeot-falco-with-pidgeot-colored-clothes/

The original skin was made by Michael Ashby Michael Ashby (I think) and he uploaded a version with Ash Ketchum style clothing which you can check out here.

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
Last edited:

NS23

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
SLOK#533
REQUEST
I was thinking that Kenny from South Park Ice Climbers would look hilarious. I've never done any ICs skins so I figured I'd throw the idea out there and see if anyone is interested (I also might just give it a shot and see how it turns out). :)
With more and more people finding interest in textures, I figured I'd bump this post.
Would love to see what people can make :)
Seasons Greetings!!

spamitburns

Smash Cadet
Slippi.gg
burn#535
With more and more people finding interest in textures, I figured I'd bump this post.
Would love to see what people can make :)
Seasons Greetings!!
I did actually make a start on this a while back, put it on the shelf since the way Icies' models are rigged means the resemblence to Kenny (specifically the clothes) is kinda lost. This is where I'm at rn-

It was shelved pretty early on so almost all of the clothes textures are the exact same texture copied over. I'll get back to it, try to make it a little less half-assed.
I've been trying to learn how to model edit using HSDraw and blender, reading through the Melee Workshop discord n that. If I knew how I'd try to change the model so it resembled Kenny more, but I'm so new to model editing that it'll be a while down the line (if ever) that I'm able to do something like that.

Also figured I'd mention that although in South Park all you can see of Kenny through his hoodie is his eyes, I decided it would be better to make the eyes smaller. This is because when I tried to replicate Kenny's eyes authentically, his mouth poked through them which is pretty disturbing lol.

Also also,
Happy Holidays folks 🎄

Last edited:

Saxon116

Smash Journeyman
I did actually make a start on this a while back, put it on the shelf since the way Icies' models are rigged means the resemblence to Kenny (specifically the clothes) is kinda lost. This is where I'm at rn-

It was shelved pretty early on so almost all of the clothes textures are the exact same texture copied over. I'll get back to it, try to make it a little less half-assed.
I've been trying to learn how to model edit using HSDraw and blender, reading through the Melee Workshop discord n that. If I knew how I'd try to change the model so it resembled Kenny more, but I'm so new to model editing that it'll be a while down the line (if ever) that I'm able to do something like that.

Also figured I'd mention that although in South Park all you can see of Kenny through his hoodie is his eyes, I decided it would be better to make the eyes smaller. This is because when I tried to replicate Kenny's eyes authentically, his mouth poked through them which is pretty disturbing lol.

Also also,
Happy Holidays folks 🎄

Happy Holidays :)

Muki

Smash Rookie
if the disc image file gets smaller (1.36 GiB -> 1.33 GiB) after an import forces a rebuild, is that an issue? i imagine its fine, iso seems to work, just not experienced with this program / am curious

Top Bottom